Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
that seems about right
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Fascinating. I've tried a small amount of mushrooms when I was younger and enjoyed the experience. I'd be up to doing it again.

In before: "God damn LIBERALtarians!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yah!! Disruptive!

Looks to me like it enhances activity, but what would I know?

It's not like I have ever done hallucinogens!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The article says 'shrooms can help you quit smoking.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to say charting technique fail.  I'm not against use of halucinogens in infrequent, controlled settings.

But what the people who made this presentation should have done is portray a normal brain as having more of the unfilled channels -- in other words the charts should have been like negatives of what they used.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I did mushrooms a few times in high school. Didn't care for them. Couldn't sleep at all even when they were wearing off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
People who take psychedelics are basically poisoning themselves and enjoying the process the brain goes through to recover its chemical balances.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People who take psychedelics are basically poisoning themselves and enjoying the process the brain goes through to recover its chemical balances.
View Quote

I'm no doctor or medical researcher, but the article quotes experts in the field as saying that mushrooms are remarkably non-toxic to the body's organ systems.  

You would be correct on a number of other substances, though, with alcohol at the top of the list.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I can neither confirm nor deny that large trees occasionally have the ability to suddenly get up and run away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Too little and nothing, too much and it's a downright horrifying experience.. . . . . just enough and WOW!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I took a dose one time for a migraine that no medicine would phase. The headache lasted for 6 days and was gone with 2 hours after taking the shrooms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can neither confirm nor deny that large trees occasionally have the ability to suddenly get up and run away.
View Quote

Bad hug?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
hippies
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]

They were always my favorite.

Don't know if I could stand it these days.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Poison would imply toxic and harmful.

When the US government did experiments with LSD, they found that there was no lethal dose.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Pro-tip:

Watch that Japanese gameshow "MXC" while on shrooms.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

you sound just like a vegan.

enjoy your bean curd.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl89g2SwMh4

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Rather an oversimplification of the effect of neurotransmitter agonists on synaptic pathways, don't you think?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm going to say charting technique fail.  I'm not against use of halucinogens in infrequent, controlled settings.

But what the people who made this presentation should have done is portray a normal brain as having more of the unfilled channels -- in other words the charts should have been like negatives of what they used.
View Quote

amusingly, the data viz is what caused me to actually read the article in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm no doctor or medical researcher, but the article quotes experts in the field as saying that mushrooms are remarkably non-toxic to the body's organ systems.  
You would be correct on a number of other substances, though, with alcohol at the top of the list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to get pedantic on you.  I have a degree in psychology and have studied psychopharmacology pretty extensively.
Psilocybin and psylocin indeed have very high theraputic ratios (or theraputic indices if you prefer), but they are by no means non-toxic.  They are "safe" in that it is almost impossible to take a life-threatening overdose.
Alcohol and heroin are among the most dangerous drugs in terms of theraputic ratio.  Cannabis is about the least so.  But low theraputic ratio doesn't mean that a drug is safe.  Cannabis and psilocybin can be harmful when overused or used habitually.
The terminology used in lay discussions gets fuzzy.  If a substance is non-toxic in terms of pharmacology, that means it has no effect.  In common usage toxicity is associated with lethality.  This chart uses a mish-mash of terminology but it makes some interesting points.  DEA schedules are not strongly associated with the inherent hazards of a drug.

It's kind of shocking to me that isobutyl nitrate isn't scheduled.  The stuff can be very dangerous.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
CSB:

a guy I went to high school with freaked out on a trip about a year after graduation.
I was delivering newspaper early one morning when I rounded a corner and had to stop because of about 5 police cars, two fire trucks, and at least four ambulances were there responding to the situation.
The house they had come to was on my route, so I stopped the car and got out to see what's up.
I walked up to a very pretty lady cop and asked her what was going on, I had newspapers to put out.
She said there was a stabbing, but they had the suspect in custody and things were under control.
Right as she said that (we're standing next to a squad car) the guy starts freaking out, flopping around in the back seat and kicking the window grate.......I about jumped out of my skin because I didn't know there was anybody in there!

Fast forward to the next morning and I make my usual stop at the corner store on the way home and had a chat with a couple cops I usually see there at that time.

Turns out what happened is - the guy went to a party at that house and ate 6 grams of mushrooms - some of you more experienced folks from the older days may not think that's much, but holy shit, I think that's a lot of damned mushrooms!
So, he gets wasted and starts tripping.....the kids at the party, being asshole high schoolish kids, start fucking with him, and trying to scare him.
He freaked out, grabbed a kitchen knife and started stabbing the demons - he stabbed six people, didn't kill anyone but put at least one girl in critical condition.
Last I heard he was convicted and got 5 years each for 6 counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

And, boom....his life was fucked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pro-tip:

Watch that Japanese gameshow "MXC" while on shrooms.

http://youtu.be/8tus1MDnQxI

View Quote

No watch cartoon net works adventure time.

BRB going to Canada.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Wonder what happens when you add chocolate?  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Why is a fungus illegal?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't.  An enzyme in dairy products can degrade psilocybin.

Quoted:

Why is a fungus illegal?

Da derp de derp da teetly interstate commerce de derpy dumb.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CSB:

a guy I went to high school with freaked out on a trip about a year after graduation.
I was delivering newspaper early one morning when I rounded a corner and had to stop because of about 5 police cars, two fire trucks, and at least four ambulances were there responding to the situation.
The house they had come to was on my route, so I stopped the car and got out to see what's up.
I walked up to a very pretty lady cop and asked her what was going on, I had newspapers to put out.
She said there was a stabbing, but they had the suspect in custody and things were under control.
Right as she said that (we're standing next to a squad car) the guy starts freaking out, flopping around in the back seat and kicking the window grate.......I about jumped out of my skin because I didn't know there was anybody in there!

Fast forward to the next morning and I make my usual stop at the corner store on the way home and had a chat with a couple cops I usually see there at that time.

Turns out what happened is - the guy went to a party at that house and ate 6 grams of mushrooms - some of you more experienced folks from the older days may not think that's much, but holy shit, I think that's a lot of damned mushrooms!
So, he gets wasted and starts tripping.....the kids at the party, being asshole high schoolish kids, start fucking with him, and trying to scare him.
He freaked out, grabbed a kitchen knife and started stabbing the demons - he stabbed six people, didn't kill anyone but put at least one girl in critical condition.
Last I heard he was convicted and got 5 years each for 6 counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

View Quote

Using alcohol irresponsibly can also kill other people and screw up your life. Like drunk driving.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone who says you don't visually hallucinate on sh rooms has never eaten enough.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
There is a lot of that at the DU.

Then you need to do mushrooms to understand them.

Do you known how many mushroom pizzas that I have devoured and I still don't understand  them?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Im surprised there arent more stories about shrooms in the news.  They are incredibly easy to grow and the spore prints can be legally purchased online.  Just sayin.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
most liberals suffer  similar effects being democrats
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
off to look up isowhatever and dexwhatever.. please expound on how 1/10 relates to 2 being effective and 20 being lethal.  i understand 2/20 = 1/10 but the numbers 4 and 40 also work there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Jeez, no shit.

You don't take hallucinogenics to go to sleep.  

Quoted:
that seems about right
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Anyone who says you don't visually hallucinate on sh rooms has never eaten enough.
View Quote

Things I've seen/heard/felt/understood:

Unable to stop laughing/smiling, being joyful.

Clouds smiled at me.

A black TransAm growled like a black leopard.

Grass flowed down hill.

Snow.   It wasn't really snowing.

Alternating color positive/negative world.  With discordant diamond-shaped designs.

Seeing the night sky with a big bright full moon...as if from the wrong end of binoculars.

Heard backward singing (Rod Stewart) coming out of the radio.

Looked into a mirror...went inside of THAT room. Finally got back out.

Saw the pendulum of a clock stop in mid-sweep.

Probably a lot of things I don't remember that were weird/cool. This was a very long time ago.  But it was cheap entertainment and with nothing I would consider ill effects to date.

It's always better if you're ready for it, and I think I'm good for now.  Don't feel I need it any more.  

I feel that anyone who enjoys a buzz (of any sort, including alcohol) can't throw stones at the 'shroomers.  It's only a matter of degree.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread needs a soundtrack.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I ate mushrooms a few times in Amsterdam. I remember it made me very happy/giggly, when it was raining i could see the drops falling in what was percieved slow motion, went to the Van Gogh museum and saw the paintings in a whole different light, and several other effects.

I would do it again if I didn't work in a job where it's not permitted.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]
It grew under a cow shit. I dont care how "good for you" it is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It grew under a cow shit. I dont care how "good for you" it is.
View Quote
They can also grown in a perfectly sterile substrate behind your hot water heater or under your kitchen sink.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Faaarrrrr ouuuttt maaaayyannnnn
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Dude......look at all the pretty colors......

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
CSB:

View Quote

Quality of company is very important. Even more so with drugs like that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looked into a mirror...went inside of THAT room. Finally got back out.

View Quote

NEVER look into a mirror. ever. srsly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I tried them years ago I didn't feel or see shit, I was getting pissed because a purple elephant kept following me everywhere though
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Being jammed in an MRI while under the influence of hallucinogens sounds awful.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Hallucinogens are one of those things that I am terrified of and wouldn't touch when I was a kid (or now for that matter). I knew if things got freaky I wouldn't be able to handle it at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top