Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be swinging from a rope if you've done something so heinous you can't be trusted with full restoration of rights on release.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is my take on it.  Traditionally, a felony was a fairly heinous crime that was punishable by death or forfeiture of property.  Life imprisonment with subsequent parole was an act of mercy on the part of the justice system such that your citizenship rights were "executed" but you were spared.  Within that framework, I am OK with felons losing their right to vote, their right to bear arms, etc.

However, in the modern framework where you have crimes like "Felony Parking Meter Stuffing" or you can become a felon for having a 14.5" barrel with a removable flash hider, I don't support the loss of rights for those types of crimes; because frankly, those aren't the kinds of serious crimes that justify losing any of your citizenship rights.  So I guess in my view, the problem isn't that felons lose their Second Amendment rights, it is that there are too many bullshit "crimes" defined as felonies now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, I think it does... You have an unalienable right not be harmed (Assault, theft, rape, murder etc). You have a right to freedom of movement (kidnapping, imprisonment, etc).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Once their probation and time is served, they can petition to have their rights restored.

Why should they have to petition to get their "rights"?

They willingly gave up those rights when they violated the rights of others (see Crime)

That is not an apt description of "crime" in our legal system.

No, I think it does... You have an unalienable right not be harmed (Assault, theft, rape, murder etc). You have a right to freedom of movement (kidnapping, imprisonment, etc).

So I can infer that you agree that an act that violates no one's rights should not be a crime?

Because a shit ton are.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted no, but sentencing would have to reflect the crime, and if you aren't safe enough to be trusted in public with a gun, you don't get out of prison.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So I can infer that you agree that an act that violates no one's rights should not be a crime?

Because a shit ton are.
View Quote

You'd be talking about say, crimes against the state, or crimes which are malum prohibitum. yes.  Only Felonies should be crimes which are Malum in se.  And pruned the Quote tree.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Simply because a man is not incarcerated, does not make him free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then why is he/she not still in prison?

Quoted:
YES!  Because the judicial system is all fucked up, that's why.  There are some really violent people walking around today that shouldn't be.  The last Officer that was shot to death was done in by a shitbag with 14, yes 14 that's not a typo, violent felony convictions.  There is no reason in the world that piece of trash should have been walking around outside of the prison.  But he was.  Then there was the early out by Nikko Jenkins.  He randomly killed 4 people inside about 3 weeks from his release.  I also realize that neither of these shitbags obtained guns legally.  But why make it easier on them?

I understand this, and appreciate this...believe me, I do.

But...why are they free in that case?

I would argue they should still be in prison if they cannot be trusted out in public with a firearm.

If you are not in prison, you are a free man and should have all rights thereof.

YES, our justice system is fucked up...but do NOT penalize those who are legitimately free, eh? Those who served their time, earned their release, etc. If people should be in prison, KEEP THEM THERE.

Do not penalize free men for a fuckup's problems..

Just my opinion, and I see where I could be wrong, but ..well, that's the way I see things...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should be swinging from a rope if you've done something so heinous you can't be trusted with full restoration of rights on release.

This.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
too open of a question.  If you are a violent felon, then your 2A amendments be damned.  Tired of the victim mentality, even here....with so many things wrong in this country the last thing I'm going to waste time on is determining which felons should have their gun rights restored.  This may also suggest restoring other privileges/rights like voting.....which would largely help the Commie/Dems......fuck this bleeding heart Arfcomism.......worry about the attacks on law abiding gun owners or at least your own shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way you can vote yes is to admit that the gun, and not the felon, is the real safety threat.

If a felon is a serious risk to my safety, the means by which they attack is irrelevant. They should remain detained until they are no longer a threat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is my take on it.  Traditionally, a felony was a fairly heinous crime that was punishable by death or forfeiture of property.  Life imprisonment with subsequent parole was an act of mercy on the part of the justice system such that your citizenship rights were "executed" but you were spared.  Within that framework, I am OK with felons losing their right to vote, their right to bear arms, etc.

However, in the modern framework where you have crimes like "Felony Parking Meter Stuffing" or you can become a felon for having a 14.5" barrel with a removable flash hider, I don't support the loss of rights for those types of crimes; because frankly, those aren't the kinds of serious crimes that justify losing any of your citizenship rights.  So I guess in my view, the problem isn't that felons lose their Second Amendment rights, it is that there are too many bullshit "crimes" defined as felonies now.
View Quote

This is pretty much my opinion, so many things have been classified as felonies that should not be, that the term does not mean what it once did, but everyone still treats it like it does.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know the numbers (of violent vs non violent felons in prison), so please forgive my ignorance, but what if we reserved prisons for the violent people that really deserve to be there?  For everyone else, fines, work camps, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've personally always thought if they were too dangerous to have guns, they shouldn't be out with the general public.

This is true but not realistic..

We simply can't afford to house them all.
I don't know the numbers (of violent vs non violent felons in prison), so please forgive my ignorance, but what if we reserved prisons for the violent people that really deserve to be there?  For everyone else, fines, work camps, etc.

California already released most of their non violent and non-sexual offenders and they are still over crowded. When determining if someone was violent or not they only used the last conviction, not criminal history. So child molesters, robbers, murderers who were currently in for non violent stuff like burglary or auto theft got released as "non-violent."  But they are still overcrowded because they havent built new prisons to match the increased population.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only way you can vote yes is to admit that the gun, and not the felon, is the real safety threat.

If a felon is a serious risk to my safety, the means by which they attack is irrelevant. They should remain detained until they are no longer a threat.
View Quote

This X 87.

Fucking nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
if theyhave served their time, no.  full constitutional rights should be restored upon their release.

edit:  wow, more yes votes than i thought id see....

interdasting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If they are locked up, then yeah, they should be. Once out and off probation then no. If we can't trust them to be back out in society, keep them locked up.
View Quote

And should child molesters be on a registry after they've served their time? Or should we even HAVE criminal histories to allow for higher penalties for subsequent charges for the same type of crime? People make a choice when they commit crimes. They are accepting the risk of the penalties (ALL of them)  if they are caught. Want to rob someone for some fast cash? Accept that if you are caught, you will lose the right to possess modern firearms for life. No problem at all with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you didn't quite get my meaning, none of us are in prison yet our freedoms are stepped on frequently, we've become accustomed to it as the new normal. Every time they infringe on a right/liberty, we bitch and moan but given enough time it's accepted and most people just see it as the status quo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree. But knowing that we wont keep them in prison where they belong, I'm fine with them not legally possessing guns, or voting, or holding political office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've personally always thought if they were too dangerous to have guns, they shouldn't be out with the general public.

I agree. But knowing that we wont keep them in prison where they belong, I'm fine with them not legally possessing guns, or voting, or holding political office.

youd be surprised at how many felons run for office every election...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've personally always though that this was the worst and most accepted gun control our nation has ever seen.

Your thoughts?
View Quote

I have a friend who, before I met him, was convicted of a couple of felonies involving drugs.  He did his time, got out and reunited with his wife and came to know Christ.  He works hard, supports his wife and 4 children, and finally managed to purchase a house on several acres after years of saving.  He and his family are some of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met.

He is trying to keep chickens and have a little hobby farm but coyotes keep killing his chickens.  He can not own a firearm to protect his family or his chickens.  Not even a single shot 22.

That's wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And should child molesters be on a registry after they've served their time? Or should we even HAVE criminal histories to allow for higher penalties for subsequent charges for the same type of crime? People make a choice when they commit crimes. They are accepting the risk of the penalties (ALL of them)  if they are caught. Want to rob someone for some fast cash? Accept that if you are caught, you will lose the right to possess modern firearms for life. No problem at all with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they are locked up, then yeah, they should be. Once out and off probation then no. If we can't trust them to be back out in society, keep them locked up.

1. So you argue that people can never change. Once a criminal, always a criminal?

2. What about a 14 year old tried as an adult. They should never realize the fullness of their rights?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then your vote is no.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

correct
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ibtp

Eh depends on the felony. Violent crime yes.  Non violent no.
View Quote

I would agree with this. Murderers and rapists shouldn't have any rights. But someone who got hit with like credit fraud or something like that should still be able to legally defend themselves.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would agree with this. Murderers and rapists shouldn't have any rights. But someone who got hit with like credit fraud or something like that should still be able to legally defend themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ibtp

the word felony has become meaningless, the amount of crimes that rate felonious is absurd
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing a politician does could surprise me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a friend who, before I met him, was convicted of a couple of felonies involving drugs.  He did his time, got out and reunited with his wife and came to know Christ.  He works hard, supports his wife and 4 children, and finally managed to purchase a house on several acres after years of saving.  He and his family are some of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met.

He is trying to keep chickens and have a little hobby farm but coyotes keep killing his chickens.  He can not own a firearm to protect his family or his chickens.  Not even a single shot 22.

That's wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've personally always though that this was the worst and most accepted gun control our nation has ever seen.

Your thoughts?

That's wrong.

Black powder is the appropriate loophole. That said, it is still a penalty for what he did. Great that he turned around, but should we take a child molester off of the registry because he "got right with God" and is a good neighbor?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's not good for the people to have the government be able to strip rights without damn good reason.  not all felonies are violent, and in those cases, there really isn't a good case for stripping rights after they have paid their debt.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Only while incarcerated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You are either safe to be in public as a citizen, or you are not.

If the GOP really wants to gain some minority ballots, they ought to pursue and end to felons being prevented from voting and owning guns.

Vote gains aside, it is the right thing to do.
View Quote
They'd lose 5x more votes from people like me.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Only violent felons.  

It's way too easy to become a felon today.  You can do it without hurting anyone.  

I don't think being a felon means what it used to, so I don't think it's as big a mark of shame as it once was.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1. So you argue that people can never change. Once a criminal, always a criminal?
2. What about a 14 year old tried as an adult. They should never realize the fullness of their rights?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any you believe that penalties should be arbitrary? That the restoration process which exists to allow them to PROVE they have changed is too much of a burden? FSA/victim mentality....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I voted yes. But my yes equals, while incarcerated and on parole/probation. Once all time is restored they should be instantly reinstated along with voting rights.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I think if you're out of prison and off any probation or registry you should automatically get your rights back.

All that type of language in the law would do is cause nearly indefinite probation times and lifetime registries for a boatload of new categories.

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well put sir.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I voted yes, but as others have stated, I really only feel that way about violent offenders. I don't see why somebody who was caught insider trading or evading taxes should lose that right permanently. Though it's my understanding that these types of non-violent crimes make it much more likely to have the right reinstated after serving their sentence.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Only while incarcerated.
View Quote
We'd have to re-align what a "felony" is before I'd even begin to wade into the discussion.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#37]
since felony don't mean shit anymore, we need to create a new classification for truly heinous crimes

turbofelony
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Black powder is the appropriate loophole. That said, it is still a penalty for what he did. Great that he turned around, but should we take a child molester off of the registry because he "got right with God" and is a good neighbor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your thoughts?

That's wrong.

No. They should be taken out back and shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't think anybody should be stripped of any rights.

View Quote

So don't even jail murderers and child molesters? Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your thoughts?

That's wrong.

Nice reductio ad absurdum.

How is being on a registry compare to losing what is and should always be an inalienable right?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ibtp

So, there is some difference in a person who steals your money and causes severe harm to your life with a computer, and the guy who strongarms you or uses a knife to get the 20 bucks out of your pocket?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Felonies should be violent crimes only. Maybe we should invent a middle tier or something, I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hang a few and make some room. Make the penalty for committing a violent or sex crime so horrific that it's an actual deterrent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I voted no, but that would only be for non violent crimes, violent crimes have shown society they are a danger.

non violent should have full rights restored after paying their due..
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ibtp

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hang a few and make some room. Make the penalty for committing a violent or sex crime so horrific that it's an actual deterrent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or stop flooding our prisons with non-violent offenders on stupid drug charges. We are only out of room because everything has become a felony.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
or stop flooding our prisons with non-violent offenders on stupid drug charges. We are only out of room because everything has become a felony.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most places you'd do more time for possession of an unregistered machine gun than for beating the shit out of someone.

Lesson there the gov doesn't care as much about you assaulting someone as you owning weapons it finds scary. The WOD is 100% about money though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top