BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another problem (worse in my book) is doctors opting out of Medicare.

The practice of medicine should be a calling, not a money-grubbing occupation.

The solution is this: Medical education should be free, for candidates who qualify. Thereafter, the doctors should go on the government payroll (paid generously) and all the overhead costs of their practices should be covered by the government (these would be National Health Service clinics).

Health care is a right that should be guaranteed to all citizens.
View Quote

Dear Comrade Marx,

The practice of medicine should be a profitable career for those who have dedicated themselves to it by years of learning.

Patients should pay for services rendered. If not for the health insurance industry, big government intervention, and rabid lawyers, the cost of free market medical care would be LOTS cheaper.

Where in the entire fucking history of civilization (outside communist countries) does anyone proscribe "health care" as a basic human right?

Where in our Constitution is there a right to "free health care"? Would it be provided by doctors who work for free? Would it be funded by unicorns and leprechauns?

You may also believe you have a right to food, clothing, and housing. But who pays for it? Shouldn't YOU pay for it? If you eat more than others, shouldn't YOU pay for it? If you go through underwear faster than others, shouldn't YOU pay for it? If you need a bigger house because your wife spits out rugrats, shouldn't YOU pay for it?

And if you consume and require less than others, shouldn't YOU keep the savings?

By your logic, the practice of any profession and the service/benefits they provide could just as easily and unequivocably be deemed a legitimate government function to ensure any and all perceived human "rights".

What a sad, miserable, pathetic, benefits-grubbing creature you must be, sucking off the teat of Mother Government, expecting that milk of kindness to be everlasting and free.

Send me a postcard from North Korea or Venezuala, or wherever you decide to go.

Because THIS country is not the place you belong.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.
View Quote

From what I hear, medical care in Cuba is excellent.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.

Actually if you have cash it is quite good  much like ACA locals or non party members need not apply
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.

Hugo Chavez would beg to differ.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

214k out of almost 900,000 physicians

That's going to increase.

Talked to a neurosurgeon who saw a patient in the office, worked them up for a radiculopathy, including an MRI (they have one in the office).

He got paid about $25

View Quote

DuH!  Zero Care is a tax. The Dr. isn't part of the gov't, why should he receive any tax money?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And all food and housing should be free, right?  Seriously, are you aware of how such arrangements ultimately end?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The solution is this: Medical education should be free, for candidates who qualify. Thereafter, the doctors should go on the government payroll (paid generously) and all the overhead costs of their practices should be covered by the government (these would be National Health Service clinics).

And all food and housing should be free, right?  Seriously, are you aware of how such arrangements ultimately end?

ignore those hundreds of millions murdered by their own .gov trying to make it work before. this time it will work because the right people will be in charge.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.

Im in for $5 for your plane ticket.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, this thread went Soviet pretty fucking quickly.  That's even beyond DU.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My nephew is a doc who supported Obama. He's getting screwed and when I see him over Christmas im going to rub that shit in.
View Quote

Use a belt sander and make him like it. If he says "stop! I`ve had enough" just tell him you`ll tell him when he`s had enough.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They will just tell them that they cannot practice medicine at all unless they accept patients with Obamacare coverage.
View Quote

This what I expect.
I'll get a "Dear Doctor" letter from the guberment telling me that I will except whatever reimbursement they choose to send
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a Medicare patient or Obamacare patient come to your practice and your cost to see that patient is $100 but you get reimbursed $35 for the care. You are giving away $65 away in free treatment.

Your practice overhead (lights, staff, supplies, insurance, taxes, etc) will not be giving you the money to make up for the free care and you will go out of practice bankrupt.

I realize you will never understand this but its called 'facts'.
View Quote

You didn't read what I wrote. What you say is based on a "private practice" model. What I am proposing is a "public clinic" model in which all the overhead is covered by the National Health System (the government). The doctors wouldn't be concerned about the overhead. They would be paid a generous salary, and it would all be a take-home for them.

As in Britain, there could be parallel private practices for those willing to pay a premium for their care. The competition from the public clinics, however, would tend to place a lid on what the private clinics could charge. What would be prohibited would be "double dipper" doctors who would work for the public system, but maintain private practices on the side.

The incentives for doctors to work for the government system would be guaranteed employment, relief from the overhead expenses, and full-scholarship medical education for those willing to sign an employment contract for after they complete their training.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then we'll have a glut of MDs doing research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will just tell them that they cannot practice medicine at all unless they accept patients with Obamacare coverage.

Then we'll have a glut of MDs doing research.

Nah, MDs generally suck at research.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You didn't read what I wrote. What you say is based on a "private practice" model. What I am proposing is a "public clinic" model in which all the overhead is covered by the National Health System (the government). The doctors wouldn't be concerned about the overhead. They would be paid a generous salary, and it would all be a take-home for them.

As in Britain, there could be parallel private practices for those willing to pay a premium for their care. The competition from the public clinics, however, would tend to place a lid on what the private clinics could charge. What would be prohibited would be "double dipper" doctors who would work for the public system, but maintain private practices on the side.

The incentives for doctors to work for the government system would be guaranteed employment, relief from the overhead expenses, and full-scholarship medical education for those willing to sign an employment contract for after they complete their training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you have a Medicare patient or Obamacare patient come to your practice and your cost to see that patient is $100 but you get reimbursed $35 for the care. You are giving away $65 away in free treatment.

Your practice overhead (lights, staff, supplies, insurance, taxes, etc) will not be giving you the money to make up for the free care and you will go out of practice bankrupt.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha ha ha
I have 8 employees who each wants a living wage. Mu overhead is over 65% of my gross income. I charge $100 and get $56 on average. Collections run 75%.
Money grubbing, that's a riot
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I for one agree.  The federal government does an excellent job managing all of their other endeavors.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.

It is NOT. The one hospital that treats party insiders is "decent" but it relies on donated equipment and training from American and European doctors. It is nowhere near sustainable even at its best level. The hospitals for normal Cubans are 3rd world shit.

My mother has been there as part of medical outreach and training. She was not impressed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Might want to do a little investigation and find out how the British and Canadian systems work. I'll clue you in, they don't.
For instance, there are more CT scanners in Amarillo, Texas than there are in Canada. If your Canadian Dr thinks you might have a brain tumor, your wait to have a diagnosis confirming CT is about a year. I'm not interested in practicing medicine this way. YMMV
BTW, it does explain why TargetTarget acts the way he does, huh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL. And how many people are going to go through med school when they'll never earn enough to pay it off?
View Quote

Medical education would be on a full scholarship for those willing to sign an employment contract with the National Health Service, for a term of years after graduation. It would be like ROTC scholarships for those who undertake a service obligation. No student loan burden to pay off. But if the graduates renege on their contracts, then they would have to pay the full cost retroactively.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Medical education would be on a full scholarship for those willing to sign an employment contract with the National Health Service, for a term of years after graduation. It would be like ROTC scholarships for those who undertake a service obligation. No student loan burden to pay off. But if the graduates renege on their contracts, then they would have to pay the full cost retroactively.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
LOL. And how many people are going to go through med school when they'll never earn enough to pay it off?

Wheres that money come from?  Increase taxes?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
But why should the teachers in med school work for free?
View Quote

They wouldn't. They would be paid the same way they are now. After all, they are employees, just as the bulk of the doctors would be.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They wouldn't. They would be paid the same way they are now. After all, they are employees, just as the bulk of the doctors would be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But why should the teachers in med school work for free?

And school admin, and support, upkeep, they all get the shaft or ignored?  Tuition goes to a lot more than you think.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

With a fiancée who is a doctor, I can emphatically say that your "national service" idea would put new docs in the worst possible places with no freedom to choose where to live.  Sooooo... go the hell away and...

"click"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]
THIS. You know it will happen as soon as Berry Soetoro finds time between rounds of golf to make it happen.
View Quote

You misunderstand Barry oompletely. Obamacare was a setup, designed to enrich the insurance, pharmaceutical, and hospital industries. Obama is, and has always been, a conscientious tool of Wall Street. He didn't even make a half-hearted attempt to propose Single Payer. Actually, even Single Payer is too moderate. We should go to a British-style National Health Service.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious

He's very serious. He's an openly admitted communist
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We should go to a British-style National Health Service.
View Quote

No thanks.  But you go right ahead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

And Boom,  Hello black market.  If there is a demand-someone will fill it.  Just like any other business/commodity that is over-regulated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The bat signal went out for our resident special interest troll to drop in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Go drop $400,000 plus interest on a degree then let me know if there should be any worry about how much you're getting paid.
View Quote

Your point would be moot if all medical education was on a full scholarship.

Actually, all higher education (at public institutions) should be free.  There's no reason that free, public education should stop at the 12th grade. When I went to the University of Texas, in the 1960's, tuition was free for all state residents. All I had to pay was a $75-a-semester "student activity fee" (which incidentally covered full medical treatment at the Student Health Center, which was a fuilly-equipped hospital). If the State of Texas could do this then, the country could do it now. All we lack is the will.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And Boom,  Hello black market.  If there is a demand-someone will fill it.  Just like any other business/commodity that is over-regulated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so. Reason being is that without a license to practice they will not be able to get insurance. Without insurance it would be one hell of a risk to practice medicine, even on the black market.  I guess I am assuming that medical malpractice would not end just because things are being done under the radar.

ETA: I guess abortions still went on even though they were not supposed to be done before R vs W.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually, all higher education (at public institutions) should be free.  There's no reason that free, public education should stop at the 12th grade. When I went to the University of Texas, in the 1960's, tuition was free for all state residents. All I had to pay was a $75-a-semester "student activity fee" (which incidentally covered full medical treatment at the Student Health Center, which was a fuilly-equipped hospital). If the State of Texas could do this then, the country could do it now. All we lack is the will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Go drop $400,000 plus interest on a degree then let me know if there should be any worry about how much you're getting paid.

IT'S NEVER FREE
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

At the time, the State of Texas wasn't footing much of the bill for LBJ's Great Society yet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't think so. Reason being is that without a license to practice they will not be able to get insurance. Without insurance it would be one hell of a risk to practice medicine, even on the black market.  I guess I am assuming that medical malpractice would not end just because things are being done under the radar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there is but 3 mediums of exchange on the black market cash/goods/sex period
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, as I thought about it I realized that pre R vs W illegal abortions did not stop.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Leave it to a fascist to compare a miniscule portion of the 60s to today's economic and social issues.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Everything should be free.

Healthcare, food, housing.

I should be able to walk into an ER and get treated for free. Walk into a steakhouse and get a free steak. Walk onto a Porsche dealership and drive away in a new 911, for free.

Anything else just isn't fair, after all.

Forget Ebola, what's really killing us is Entitlement mentality.
This is going to be harder to eradicate than Ebola.

Ironically, I'm going to predict it may just be Ebola that ends up ending Entitlement Mentality disease, if it gains a foothold here eventually like in other countries. There will be a lot of collateral damage, but that's what usually happens when trying to cure a terminal illness, like a cancer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
It must be close to an election. The communist trolls of GD are out in force this week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Might want to do a little investigation and find out how the British and Canadian systems work. I'll clue you in, they don't.
For instance, there are more CT scanners in Amarillo, Texas than there are in Canada. If your Canadian Dr thinks you might have a brain tumor, your wait to have a diagnosis confirming CT is about a year. I'm not interested in practicing medicine this way. YMMV
View Quote

Measure the results. British life expectency is 81.5 years and Canadian life expectancy is 81.24 years (2012 figures) versus U.S. life expectancy which is 78.74 years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Measure the results. British life expectency is 81.5 years and Canadian life expectancy is 81.24 years (2012 figures) versus U.S. life expectancy which is 78.74 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

tell me Comrade ARE YOU compensated for YOUR labor
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

To say health care "is a right" is an insult to actual rights.  Now, health care should be reasonably AVAILABLE to all Americans, which is hasn't been and still isn't - but that is largely thanks to Medicare, and Medicaid (single payer mandating providers accept below market value for their services).

For whatever reason, people don't like to look at health care like any other industry and apply basic economic and free market principles to it.  The solution to our health care problem is NOT to make substandard care available to all.  It SHOULD be to stop regulating the forces that drive the cost of care to the point that people cannot afford to purchase care.  The quickest way to kill innovation and quality of ANY industry is to regulate the market forces acting upon it to the point that there is no longer a profit motive.  Look at manufacturing in the US as an example.  

Yes, poor people need and deserve access to quality care, just like rich people.  But the fundamental architecture of ACA will not allow for that goal to be achieved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you'd better move, quickly.  You've lost 3 seconds of your life expectancy by just delaying.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a reason why people would rather do something else then become a doctor in a NHS system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Go back to DU, you've been exposed as the troll you are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to DU, you've been exposed as the troll you are.

A thousand times over by now man, but the owners apparently prefer to allow it (and the inevitable locks/bans sock puppets like him attract), rather than be seen as uninviting to totalitarian communist scum.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I want GOOD doctors.

LOL.  

Where did Castro go to have his surgery?

Hint:  It wasn't Cuba...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It would be a dubious assertion to attribute that to their health care system.

Look at it this way - by your logic, European style gun control should work in the US.  What's that?  "There are too many other factors at play and cultural differences to attribute their rates of murder to their gun laws"?  Yeah, I'd agree with that.  And the same goes for their life expenctancy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Leave it to a fascist to compare a miniscule portion of the 60s to today's economic and social issues.
View Quote

Well, which am I, a communist or a fascist?

Actually, I'm voting straight Republican next week (because of the gun issue).

Speaking of the 60's as opposed to today, I'm firmly convinced that my generation had it much better than today's young people. The decline in prospects is all due to human shortsightedness and mismanagement. There's no objective reason things have to be this way.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Speaking of the 60's as opposed to today, I'm firmly convinced that my generation had it much better than today's young people. The decline in prospects is all due to human shortsightedness and mismanagement. There's no objective reason things have to be this way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're a communist. Your ideas will be implemented by fascists. They're not that far apart.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

In some aspects you're right.  For one, college was a hell of a lot cheaper and better and getting people ready for jobs that actually existed.  And now it's very expensive with plenty of useless degrees.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top