Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:51:29 AM EDT
Seriously... we migrated from our Exchange 2010 physical server last Thursday to a new Exchange 2013 VM and it's been hellish ever since. Seems like many of our 800 users have a myriad of issues that show no consistency regarding OS, Outlook version, etc. What a nightmare. I'm spending all of my time on PCs troubleshooting client issues instead of on the network where I belong. What a nightmare. Seems like Microsoft took the full "hope and change" movement to heart and made sure to just make a mess of everything for the sake of change. I don't care for the Exchange Admin interface either (though I like the fact that I can administer it from my browser).

Microsoft... oh how I despise thee!!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with that shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't played with it in years. Does it still have that weird "forest and the trees" thing on setup?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Haven't played with it in years. Does it still have that weird "forest and the trees" thing on setup?
View Quote

That is Active Directory... and yes it is still around.

I am running Exchange 2010. I am keeping it for as long as possible. Shouldn't be too hard as the upgrade to this was so far apart there wasn't even an upgrade path for it. I had to figure out a way myself.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's such a mess man. Microsoft has always sucked. But they went from one level of suck, down through the earth's mantle to the core suck with this garbage. I should just tell all of my users to go get gmail accounts and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I only have 1 customer left on exchange (2010) and I will not be migrating to 2013.
All the others I have with google apps for business.

Exchange is a pain in the ass at this point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's such a mess man. Microsoft has always sucked. But they went from one level of suck, down through the earth's mantle to the core suck with this garbage. I should just tell all of my users to go get gmail accounts and call it good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should probably investigate hosted Exchange. If you don't have somebody on staff that eats, sleeps and breathes the stuff, it's probably cheaper and less of a headache in the long run.

800 users isn't a huge install, so it's something to consider.

This reminds me of my trials and tribulations in getting OCS upgraded to Lync 2013 (also moved from a physical to a virtual). That took a couple of years off my life, and I have no idea how I got suckered into it. I haven't had an active MCSE in eons, and I got out of this shit and went into voice for a reason. But damnit, I'm pretty good at it now. And I don't want to be.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always go back to lotus notes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I liked Groupwise better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Exchange 2013 introduces some major architecture changes. Most notably is that the CAS simply hands the user off straight to their mailbox and eliminates the hub transport role. What user issues are you experiencing and do you have a lot of office 2007 in play? Load balancers?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn....If only you had the ability to change to your own life

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Our district is having a lot of fun with it right now.  

Love having it continually go off line and not sync back up.   The calendar never works anymore.     My meetings always used to give me notifications; now, rarely, does it even show the meeting at all, let alone actually send out a notification of an upcoming appointment.  

It could be just our IT  dept.   They suck pretty bad.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
2013 is shit so you move to Ofice 365.  Google Apps, brah.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
We just moved from 2010 to 365 cloud.  It's not bad.  The only thing we're keeping onsite and NOT a VM is the sensitive mailboxes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2013 is shit so you move to Ofice 365. Google Apps, brah.
View Quote

Cuz giving Google access to your companies confidential information is a great idea
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You should probably investigate hosted Exchange. If you don't have somebody on staff that eats, sleeps and breathes the stuff, it's probably cheaper and less of a headache in the long run.

This reminds me of my trials and tribulations in getting OCS upgraded to Lync 2013 (also moved from a physical to a virtual). That took a couple of years off my life, and I have no idea how I got suckered into it. I haven't had an active MCSE in eons, and I got out of this shit and went into voice for a reason. But damnit, I'm pretty good at it now. And I don't want to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, there are exactly the same two of us handling network admin duties for this entire network that have been doing it for the past 15 years. Despite the fact that our network has grown in size and complexity exponentially. But do you think the powers-that-be express ANY interest in hiring more network people? NOPE. So it appears that we'll continue to wear a LOT of hats around here. What REALLY pisses me off is when one of our half-dozen members of the App Dev team gets all bitchy about how "busy" they are. Ya know... supporting a couple of applications that they end-up calling the outside vendor who sold us the software to support in the end anyways. I've got one of these gals who seriously believes that she's the busiest person, with the most responsibilities in our division. And she supports two or three apps! I support thousands of network nodes, many of the apps that live on them, etc. I've gotten to the point that when one of these cretins comes in my office demanding that they get top priority and saying how swamped they are -- that I just open up our giant spreadsheet with all of our network IP info on it and start clicking through sheets full of IP addresses as fast as I can... and I say "well there's what I have to install, troubleshoot, and support".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Exchange 2013 introduces some major architecture changes. Most notably is that the CAS simply hands the user off straight to their mailbox and eliminates the hub transport role. What user issues are you experiencing and do you have a lot of office 2007 in play? Load balancers?
View Quote

OP - You need one of him on staff. ^
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Office 365 is the way to go for any small business.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shame on you...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Love having it continually go off line and not sync back up.   The calendar never works anymore.     My meetings always used to give me notifications; now, rarely, does it even show the meeting at all, let alone actually send out a notification of an upcoming appointment.  

View Quote

I'm always open for some time in WY if you guys need a consultant
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't fly. Because of the public safety apps on our network and the security concerns that we're up against right now, we are buried behind multiple levels of firewalls. One of them is run by our ISP (the State) and they are clamping down on many/most of these cloud-based, peer-to-peer, WAN-based apps. Our users have come to depend on many of them and aren't too happy about it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cuz giving Google access to your companies confidential information is a great idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZACTLY!

Just not gonna happen here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
They hiring? I could do Wyoming.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

School district? Cody?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
General consensus is that Exchange 2013 wasn't fully baked when it was released. Exchange 2015 is due in a year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Still on Exchange 07 here baby.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
did migration straight from 07 to 10 vm to 365 , zero probs
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of 2007, 2010, and 2013. No load balancing. Only the front-end client access server and the data store server. We actually have a technology consultant that we hired to do the migration. And they've been trying to help put out all of the fires. But the reality is that we have to triage them here before we can just send the issues upstream to them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help. I have quite a bit experience with Exchange 2013 and it's undocumented features. Seriously. This is all I do all day long... I read people's email.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Office 365 is the way to go for any small business.
View Quote

I'm not sure that 800 users qualifies as a "small business".  Granted, it isn't a GE or IBM, but it isn't a Mom & Pop either.

Honestly I've heard some crappy stuff about the Microsoft 2013 products.  I'm keeping Office 2010 as long as possible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish.   The techs aren't bad, it's the dept head that is still stuck in 1999.    We are the laughing stock of the state of WY in tech circles; enough that even the teachers, like me, hear about how bad we have it from other districts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
General consensus is that Exchange 2013 wasn't fully baked when it was released. Exchange 2015 is due in a year.
View Quote

RTM was a nightmare. Essentially it had no support for migration. Funny thing is I actually did a RTM deployment for a company that had a situation where they didn't have a ton of users (under 80) and their shit was such a mess they decided to put up a whole new domain and start over from scratch. Hated the idea at first but when I saw how bad it was I'm glad they went through a few days of pain to do it. Only time I've deployed an RTM version of Exchange. I have done several 2013 migrations with minimal issues though. OP could have a lot of variables here. Hopefully you only have the 2013 CAS in play.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's still not fully baked. I am anxiously awaiting the actual release.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

School district? Cody?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School district? Cody?

No, they do pretty well with their tech.   The new guy there is a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lots of 2007, 2010, and 2013. No load balancing. Only the front-end client access server and the data store server. We actually have a technology consultant that we hired to do the migration. And they've been trying to help put out all of the fires. But the reality is that we have to triage them here before we can just send the issues upstream to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the mailboxes moved to 2013? So it's a two server environment with just one CAS and one MB server?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would LOVE to have an Exchange admin on staff. But they cost money! My co-admin and I always chuckle to ourselves when we're at some training conference and the speakers says something about having our Exchange Admin do something. We're the EVERYTHING admins here. IMPOSSIBLE to be experts here because you have to support so many different pieces of software and hardware. During the course of a day I might build a new IBM X-series box, create several new VMs, troubleshoot an issue with an Avaya router or switch, install a new business class copier, setup a bunch of new email/AD accounts, and on and on and on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Apps has different ToS than free Google services.  I own my data and no advertising.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup... I can believe that. There are features in the Admin "console" that just don't work at all. I'm in a week and have already run up against that several times.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Still on Exchange 07 here baby.
View Quote

STAY THERE!!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The hub transport role it not eliminated. It still exists. The CAS proxies connections vs. actually doing a lot of the heavier lifting it used to do. It still does some things, however, not as much as it used to. It is more or less back on the whole front-end to back-end configuration that Exchange 2003 did.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup... I can believe that. There are features in the Admin "console" that just don't work at all. I'm in a week and have already run up against that several times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's anything like Lync 2013, you'd do well to just abandon all of that and get used to using cmdlets instead. I did, and I'm much happier for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought the general consensus was that it WAS fully baked.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help. I have quite a bit experience with Exchange 2013 and it's undocumented features. Seriously. This is all I do all day long... I read people's email.
View Quote

Very cool. I've dreamed of being able to be a specialist like that for years. But I'm probably too used to my schizo environment to ever try something that sane at this point!

May shoot a couple of things your way if our consultant doesn't come through.

Mostly just venting in this thread about how much I HATE microsoft. From the very top, to the very bottom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Would LOVE to have an Exchange admin on staff. But they cost money! My co-admin and I always chuckle to ourselves when we're at some training conference and the speakers says something about having our Exchange Admin do something. We're the EVERYTHING admins here. IMPOSSIBLE to be experts here because you have to support so many different pieces of software and hardware. During the course of a day I might build a new IBM X-series box, create several new VMs, troubleshoot an issue with an Avaya router or switch, install a new business class copier, setup a bunch of new email/AD accounts, and on and on and on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The life of SMB IT. I'm actually a do everything admin but my specialty is virtualization (VMware mainly), storage (EMC, EqualLogic and some open source NAS products) and MS communications (Exchange and Lync). It's tough to get guys who really specialize in products when you're not an enterprise with a large budget.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The hub transport role it not eliminated. It still exists. The CAS proxies connections vs. actually doing a lot of the heavier lifting it used to do. It still does some things, however, not as much as it used to. It is more or less back on the whole front-end to back-end configuration that Exchange 2003 did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a server role, it does not exist but yes it was just basically combined into the CAS role.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, they do pretty well with their tech.   The new guy there is a friend of mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

School district? Cody?

Gotchya. My dad lives there. I went to school there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Google Apps has different ToS than free Google services.  I own my data and no advertising.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not read where Google won't mine your data though.  Yes, you own it, but I don't see where they say they won't have their own access to it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

All the mailboxes moved to 2013? So it's a two server environment with just one CAS and one MB server?
View Quote

Yup. The clients are the problem at this point. I think that we've ironed out any/most of the issues on Exchange now. We did have a lot of issues related to our enterprise security product though (Kaspersky) that we're still fighting as well. Though most of those have been addressed with patches and a client update now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Won't fly. Because of the public safety apps on our network and the security concerns that we're up against right now, we are buried behind multiple levels of firewalls. One of them is run by our ISP (the State) and they are clamping down on many/most of these cloud-based, peer-to-peer, WAN-based apps. Our users have come to depend on many of them and aren't too happy about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where we have been for the past several years, but with the new contextual based firewalls (mainly Cisco ASA CX/Firepower) this shouldn't be a problem moving forward.  I have a couple of 5585-X's to install which will initiate a chain reaction of redeploying 5525-Xs to replace 5520s.  As soon as the 5525-Xs are in place, we are going to POC the CX/Firepower stuff as supplemental to our Fireeye deployments and possibly as a replacement for our websense deployments.

I was a little concerned when Cisco bought Sourcefire, but it looks like they are going to do it right.

I have been able to sit on the sidelines somewhat for our Exchange 2013 upgrade, but I felt from the outset that this was Microsoft's way of forcing everyone to Office365.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Very cool. I've dreamed of being able to be a specialist like that for years. But I'm probably too used to my schizo environment to ever try something that sane at this point!

Mostly just venting in this thread about how much I HATE microsoft. From the very top, to the very bottom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to help. My official title where I work is Messaging Engineer. However, that causes me to be involved in a lot. I am setting up Lync 2013 and SharePoint 2013 right now but my main responsibility is Exchange which causes me to be involved in Active Directory which I am secondly responsible for. We do all on-premisis stuff since I work for a law firm. There is no way we would migrate to Office 365. They couldn't support us anyway due to mailbox sizes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They couldn't support us anyway due to mailbox sizes.
View Quote

Has anyone tried telling them their email is not a filing system?  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top