Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:04:28 AM EDT
Since this seems to be the belief of most on Arfcom I just wanted to say that some should try reading this book when they get a chance.

Black Edelweiss
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since this seems to be the belief of most on Arfcom I just wanted to say that some should try reading this book when they get a chance.

Black Edelweiss
View Quote

Ever lived there?  The cognitive dissonance is pretty interesting. I saw lots of little things during my year there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Lived in Germany? No I lived in England for a few years but I spent quite a bit of time there for business and pleasure.  Potato dumplings and Bacon gravy FTW!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If I am stil being blamed for slavery which ended 150 years ago I get to call all germans Nazis for the rest of my life/
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought it, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lived in Germany? No I lived in England for a few years but I spent quite a bit of time there for business and pleasure.  Potato dumplings and Bacon gravy FTW!!
View Quote

It's really interesting. Having been there a relatively long time I noticed some things that I thought were interesting.  Anti aircraft emplacements from WW2 in Munich that the locals wouldn't acknowledge.  The same people who became beet red and angry when skinheads marched in Konstance refused to stop at Dachau with me.  It's an interesting mix of bitterness and shame, IMO, that's been drilled into them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's really interesting. Having been there a relatively long time I noticed some things that I thought were interesting.  Anti aircraft emplacements from WW2 in Munich that the locals wouldn't acknowledge.  The same people who became beet red and angry when skinheads marched in Konstance refused to stop at Dachau with me.  It's an interesting mix of bitterness and shame, IMO, that's been drilled into them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean it institutional guilt. I really think that's what a lot in this country would like to see in regards to the War of Northern Aggression haha. I just thought the book would be good for some here since it deals with a young Waffen-SS volunteer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Where did you get the idea that most arfcommers think all Germans are Nazis?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I was in middle school and junior high in Germany (in a school with kids from lots of different countries) the only kids who made jokes about Jews in concentration camps, were the German kids.  

Example like :
"How did the Jews escape from the concentration camp?  Through the chimney!"

"How do you fit 24 Jews in a VW beetle?  Easy - two in the front, two in the back, and twenty in the ash tray."

I'm guessing they didn't invent those jokes - but probably heard them at home.
View Quote

I heard all those jokes as kid in Texas, plus others that I don't want to type on here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

From every thread that deals with WW2
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Those flak towers are beast.

Didn't realize there are so many left up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad's from Austria, is he a super Nazi?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Black Edelweiss
View Quote

great book!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#15]
lived in Germany, Nothing has changed!!  link
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been learning to speak german for a few months now. There is a girl on youtube who has channel called Deutsche für Euch.

She's probably 19-21 years old or so. In one episode she talks about how nobody in german can show any outward national pride. They all repress it out of a collective shame. She says the only time it can come out is at soccer matches and then people hp apeshit because of the long repression.

I think she said it is starting to ease with the younger generation and they can show a bit of pride in the finer parts of their heritage and culture.

Interesting,  though.

I just visited austria and they were so nice and "regular". Seemed so familiar and genuine. Then every once and a while, you'd see a war memorial in the town with a sculpture of a german ww2 helmet wrapped in thorns or roses and a list of the men from the town who had died.

Or you'd be looking at some old photos with the family and see an old black and white picture with a relative in the familiar "bad guy" uniform standing next to his wife.

It would snap you back into perspective quickly.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
They weren't all Nazis but ultimately, they fought BECAUSE of the Nazis and hence , for them.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#19]
My grandfather was an ardent Nazi and still is.  Proud thathe was in the hitler youth.  Pissed that the war ended because he had just been given comman of an arms depot in Norway.  

My grandmother not so much.  Her father was prominent in Germany and would not allow her to join the Hitler Youth.  He wasnt challenged by the party because of his connections.

So some Germans were Nazis and some were not.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I heard all those jokes as kid in Texas, plus others that I don't want to type on here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was in middle school and junior high in Germany (in a school with kids from lots of different countries) the only kids who made jokes about Jews in concentration camps, were the German kids.  

Example like :

"How do you fit 24 Jews in a VW beetle?  Easy - two in the front, two in the back, and twenty in the ash tray."

Yep heard them in Wi back in the 60's plus a lot of other jokes about every other race & creed there was.....

Tutonophobes gonna phobe
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally don't harbor any ill will towards any of the Germans around today, and certainly don't associate them with the horrors perpetrated by their GOVERNMENT 70 years ago.

I view the Germans as more civilized, modern, cultured, and sophisticated than probably 90% of the world.

People need to let shit go.

To many mother fuckers try to guilt/shame the living because of the transgressions of the dead in order to promote an agenda.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They weren't all Nazis but ultimately, they fought BECAUSE of the Nazis and hence , for them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can even say that most arfcomers think that but I've seen plenty throw your average WW2 German soldier in with SS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
nobody in german can show any outward national pride.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I am stil being blamed for slavery which ended 150 years ago I get to call all germans Nazis for the rest of my life/
View Quote

You are living the multicultist dream
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I personally don't harbor any ill will towards any of the Germans around today, and certainly don't associate them with the horrors perpetrated by their GOVERNMENT 70 years ago.

I view the Germans as more civilized, modern, cultured, and sophisticated than probably 90% of the world.

To many mother fuckers try to guilt/shame the living because of the transgressions of the dead in order to promote an agenda.

View Quote

That was essentially my father's opinion, and he spent the war in a slave labor camp, after being taken from his home in Serbia. He never talked about any of it, but when my (British) mother would say something about the war years in reference to the Nazis, he'd just kind of shrug and shake his head. Needless to say, that's probably a very slight minority opinion held by those with his experiences, but I just never saw him get worked up over it. I still find it very strange.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Example like :

View Quote

I heard those exact jokes as a kid in California. Shit gets around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to wonder how the Holocaust could happen.

Then I spent some time around a bunch of Germans and it removed any questions that I had. They weren't overtly racist but I won't go into any more detail than that, to avoid any butthurt Germans here on ARFCom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Ich bin kein Nazi.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My grandfather was an ardent Nazi and still is.  Proud thathe was in the hitler youth.  Pissed that the war ended because he had just been given comman of an arms depot in Norway.  

My grandmother not so much.  Her father was prominent in Germany and would not allow her to join the Hitler Youth.  He wasnt challenged by the party because of his connections.

So some Germans were Nazis and some were not.
View Quote

you are related to the Von Trapp family?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

great book!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black Edelweiss

great book!

I enjoyed the book, but I would have been interested if the author was writing as the Wehrmacht was heading East instead of West.  Also interesting insight into being in Finland that late in the War.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a Jewish History professor in college.  I never had any trouble with him, I liked him and thought he was an exceptional teacher of history.

One day, as he started talking about the concentration/death camps, he said "Germans are very meticulous, efficient and amoral when it comes to killing people, isn't that right Mr. Tabootkaempfer (I have a very German last name)?"  It completely threw me.  He looked somewhat angry and was staring at me waiting for an answer.  The rest of the class was looking at me, though they seemed as confused as me, as I was not generally thought to be a Nazi.  

After an uncomfortable pause, I said: "I'm an American.  Maybe you could tell us Dr. Stein.  Your name sounds German to me."  He was befuddled and irritated, but moved on.  It was a shame, because I really liked his class, but he was relatively douchy to me for the rest of the semester.  I did well any way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes, remembering that they killed millions of men women and defenseless children in a madman's genocidal dream is part of an agenda and should just be let go. F you, the cries of justice from these victims from many countries should never be silenced...
btw it was committed by the german PEOPLE not their govt, govts direct real people to do things....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

don't fool yourself, they were like that 70 years ago too. if they had won they would be paying homage to their great fuhrer today at statues all over germany. Since they lost and the truth about their murderous conduct is public knowledge , they all nearly to a man deny supporting hitler and the nazis..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yes, remembering that they killed millions of men women and defenseless children in a madman's genocidal dream is part of an agenda and should just be let go. F you, the cries of justice from these victims from many countries should never be silenced...
btw it was committed by the german PEOPLE not their govt, govts direct real people to do things....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oy Vey!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What I am learning in this thread is that apparently all Americans are nazis.  
View Quote
First time I heard the Jew and Pizza joke was here in Florida, from a Jew

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#37]

take a good look at this boy and think this could be your boy, terrified and marked for death and then listen to the nazi apologists spew their drivel..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

take a good look at this boy and think this could be your boy, terrified and marked for death and then listen to the nazi apologists spew their drivel..
View Quote

I don't see any 88'ers around here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go cry somewhere else, you get no sympathy from me..... Justice was served long ago in the form of defeat, subjugation, national humiliation, and partition.

This whole notion of present-day retribution for historical injustices perpetrated against by and against those long since dead rings hollow to anyone with any sense of historical perspective.

Perhaps we should continue to strike out at the British while we are at it.

Is it not this same mentality that continues to dominate the thinking of our antagonists in the middle east?

To remember is one thing, to continue to hold guilty as perpetrators of mass murder and genocide those, living, who have never marched in solidarity behind a mad man is quite another.

This is the exact thing I was talking about in my initial response. I don't know what bothers me more..... you ignorance of the modern day German people or your insistence that we continue to harbor ill will against them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example like :

I heard those exact jokes as a kid in California. Shit gets around.

Heard themin Arizona as a kid.

How did this stuff travel so well before the interwebbenz?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone who partook in those atrocities should be held accountable and judged accordingly.

We are nearing the time when there won't be any of those people alive.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bet you voted for Obama too

between the rise of the mall ninja and 13's, this board just keeps getting worse and worse
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Go cry somewhere else, you get no sympathy from me..... Justice was served long ago in the form of defeat, subjugation, national humiliation, and partition.

This whole notion of present-day retribution for historical injustices perpetrated against by and against those long since dead rings hollow to anyone with any sense of historical perspective.

Is it not this same mentality that continues to dominate the thinking of our antagonists in the middle east?

To remember is one thing, to continue to hold guilty as perpetrators of mass murder and genocide those, living, who have never marched in solidarity behind a mad man is quite another.

This is the exact thing I was talking about in my initial response. I don't know what bothers me more..... you ignorance of the modern day German people or your insistence that we continue to harbor ill will against them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get it wrong, but that's not surprising, i bet you would have had plenty of excuses for nazis back then too. I don't hold modern day germans accountable for these crimes. That would make me like a nazi, indicting innocent people for crimes they didnt commit. I fight against the notion of that was in the past let bygone be bygones move ahead, blah blah. Germany OWES the world the burden of never forgetting what happened. A small price to pay for the murder of milions and millions of innocent people...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol..well played

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

between the rise of the mall ninja and 13's, this board just keeps getting worse and worse
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so remembering the death of innocent people makes me an obama supporter?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Example like :

View Quote

I heard those same jokes in school growing up in NY, and the "racial" composition was about what you would expect according to national averages.  The majority of the white kids were Italian, Irish, or a mix.  We didn't really have Germans.  So I doubt the "German" element has anything to do with it.

But the Germans in general are very grim and they laugh about death (as a coping mechanism).  Death jokes aren't seen as obscure in German culture, they are the norm.  Given the guilt they feel about the Holocaust, it makes sense that humor would be an outlet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I never understood how the people of my ancestral homeland could allow the nazis to do what they did to the world.  

Now I watch what Obama is doing to the US and I think I'm starting to understand what they went through seeing the tyranny and feeling like there was nothing they could do to change it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
You either believe in the notion of "sins of our fathers" or not.
I personally do not, I think it's a slippery slope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top