Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:38:37 AM EDT

I've spent this whole riding season thinking about giving up motorcycling, the passion just seems to no longer be there.  I'm 52 and have been motorcycling constantly since I was 16, taken multiple advanced riding courses (Keith Code, Ride Like a Pro, etc) and done quite a bit of track riding, done several cross country multi-week tours, multiple trips to rallies like Sturgis and Daytona Bike Week and have owned everything from track only bikes to classics to Harley Davidson's to full dressers to dual sports, I'd hate to estimate how much I've spent over the years on motorcycles, gear, tools, and riding courses.  I do all my own maintenance, have been elbow deep in engines and transmissions, restorations, change my own tires, the whole thing.

Over the years I've only had one major accident, a red light runner who caught the back of the bike, a bit more on the throttle and I would have made it... I've binned it a few time on track but you never know exactly where the edge is until you cross it...

More and more I find riding just doesn't seem to matter as much, this season was my lowest mileage season since I started riding.  Everything about it is starting to become inconvenient, from putting on the gear, maintaining the machines, dealing with the increasingly incompetent and moronic texting/cell phone using drivers who can't be troubled to pay attention, roads that are more and more poorly maintained... it's starting to seem like the risks are not worth the rewards.  Years past I didn't care if it was raining or freezing cold, I rode.  This season it was more a case of if it's not sunny and warm screw it, I'll drive the Turbo.

My current ride is a new HD Wide Glide with quite a few mods and I'm restoring an old HD Shovelhead, but the work on the Shovel has slowed, not really that excited about it right now.  I'm curious if other long time riders have gone through a burn out phase or if perhaps I'm at the end of my riding career...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have felt it this year.  I have been much more busy than usual with work and house projects, with less time for pleasure rides.  

I don't see myself touring or going on distance rides, so I may sell my Versys.  I am thinking of consolidating my Versys and KLX250 in to a medium displacement Husqvarna or KTM supermoto since I basically commute and do errands around town and love that style of bike.

It doesn't help that a friend of mine was hospitalized for 3 months and had over a year of recovery after an accident in the canyons, and last month another friend got t-boned going through a green light and now has a shattered pelvis and wrist.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently read Alton Brown did, dashing my dreams of riding with him.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems kind of odd to want to hang it up after riding so long.  Sounds like motorcycles are part of your life, anything else going on?  Medically?  Emotionally?

I gave up motorcycling, but I wasn't into it that long.  It just got to be a pain owning/maintaining multiple vehicles.  Then I found I rode the bike less and less.  Then kids and the bike just collected dust.  Then with the added responsibilities of a kid I felt unsafe on the bike.  Figured every ride was one closer to an inevitable crash.  I sold the bike and never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've spent this whole riding season thinking about giving up motorcycling, the passion just seems to no longer be there.  I'm 52 and have been motorcycling constantly since I was 16, taken multiple advanced riding courses (Keith Code, Ride Like a Pro, etc) and done quite a bit of track riding, done several cross country multi-week tours, multiple trips to rallies like Sturgis and Daytona Bike Week and have owned everything from track only bikes to classics to Harley Davidson's to full dressers to dual sports, I'd hate to estimate how much I've spent over the years on motorcycles, gear, tools, and riding courses.  I do all my own maintenance, have been elbow deep in engines and transmissions, restorations, change my own tires, the whole thing.

Over the years I've only had one major accident, a red light runner who caught the back of the bike, a bit more on the throttle and I would have made it... I've binned it a few time on track but you never know exactly where the edge is until you cross it...

More and more I find riding just doesn't seem to matter as much, this season was my lowest mileage season since I started riding.  Everything about it is starting to become inconvenient, from putting on the gear, maintaining the machines, dealing with the increasingly incompetent and moronic texting/cell phone using drivers who can't be troubled to pay attention, roads that are more and more poorly maintained... it's starting to seem like the risks are not worth the rewards.  Years past I didn't care if it was raining or freezing cold, I rode.  This season it was more a case of if it's not sunny and warm screw it, I'll drive the Turbo.

My current ride is a new HD Wide Glide with quite a few mods and I'm restoring an old HD Shovelhead, but the work on the Shovel has slowed, not really that excited about it right now.  I'm curious if other long time riders have gone through a burn out phase or if perhaps I'm at the end of my riding career...
View Quote

I burned out on it after a few years.  I used my KLR650 as my only mode of transportation because it got 50 mpg and it was fun to be adventurous in the city and in the country.  Then I bought a Jetta TDI that also gets 50 mpg... and I stopped riding the bike as much.  Then one day on the way home from work on the bike, I started moving on a right on red turn and the bike slipped right out from under me (going 5 mph) and low sided real hard into the ground.  Best I could figure... the dead possum whose entrails painted the road a half mile earlier had left an oil slick on a part of my tire.  That made me VERY insecure about riding.  Eventually, I went out to start it and the battery wasn't strong enough.  So I hopped in the car so I could quickly get to work.  By the time I remembered to charge the battery back up, it had another problem where it wouldn't idle.  I figured the carb was messed up at the low throttle jet.  Then I got engaged.  I moved to a house.  And it's been probably a year since I've ridden it.  Now I'm married.  Kids will be coming in a couple of years.  I've got tractors, weed eaters, augers, chainsaws, pressure washers, and 4 other vehicles to maintain.

I think I'd get back into it if I found something that I liked more.  The KLR was pretty high mileage (50k) and starting to show it.  I felt it in the clutch, the engine, the brakes.  If I had an F800GS I'd probably like riding again.

I'd think about that if I were you, first.  I know for an absolute fact that I'd get REAL bored REAL fast if I only had Harleys.  Maybe try trading one of those for an adventure performer type bike and change what you do with it.  Around here, one of my favorite things is to just explore downtown.  But it can be kind of dangerous, too...

But yeah, I've gotten bored with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't given it up, but at this very moment, I don't own a motorcycle. First time in a good 14 or 15 years.

I'll get another one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm 39 and just got another bike after a 10 year hiatus. I don't ride it much due to lack of time, but its a fun toy to have around. I got a Honda CRF250 dual sport bike. I can ride around with my kids on their dirt bikes or make a quick trip to the store.
Still have my Dads HD but it just sits in the corner of the garage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Negative. Been riding on the street for about 10 years, hope to last at least another 10.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Yamaha R6 for right at 9 years. Sold it a little over a year ago. Not regretting it at all... cept I should have asked more for it. Sold within 2 hours.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
After three wrecks I decided it just wasn't for me. Dead and severely injured friends also helped in the decision. I'll never get on another bike again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't lost my passion for riding, but I've been on a 2 year break from it.  Bought my first bike in 93...First time on a track was 98. Racing license in 03.
I had a low side in 2012 while trying to pass 3 guys in one corner...i didn't get away from the bike fast enough.

The bike hit the dirt and started flipping and pitched me into the air. I woke up with someone holding my head telling me not to move.
So a cracked C7 and shoulder reconsrtuction had me hesitant to get back on...  But now i'm dying to ride again
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm 52, riding since I was 16 also

I find myself riding more and have two bikes now. A town cusier and a KLR650 for weekend fun and commuting.
I have not lost the desire to ride yet...have my sights on a FZ-09 as a new commuter.

Not sure when the time/age comes to where I fade off of motorcycles...I can see with age, bike weight/height will be a concern.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
A track day "incident" left me with 5 broken bones in my shoulder.

For at least a week, it was exceedingly difficult to just get around, let alone run a business.

Over the years, street riding just became annoying and the only riding I wanted to do was track days.

After the accident, I figured it was best to just hang it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Sold my sportbike last year, insurance is just too expensive on it. I want to get a cruiser but we'll see if I will be able to afford it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I've still got mine in the garage, it's paid for and the used market is soft now with the 0bama economy sucking donkey dicks.

...but the damned texters scare the shit out of me. I've ridden safely over 40 years and the shit-heads texting while driving turn every other car into the proverbial cotton-topped grandma in the Delta 88 that have killed so many bikers in the past. It's taken all the fun out of riding when you're out there playing "Death Chess" and you're the only one with skin in the game.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Been riding for almost 40 years and have no intentions of giving it up.  I used to put about 8-10K miles on a year living in a northern state but the last few years have about 2k a season.  I still enjoy it and it is the best way to rid yourself of stress.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I quit riding and sold my '01 Suzuki TL1000R about 5 years ago for many of the same reasons.  The traffic and TX heat wore me down to the point that it seemed more of a chore to own & ride it than it was fun.  I sold it at the end of a particularly long and hot summer where I just didn't ride that much because of the heat.  Plus I figured that eventually my number would be up and I would lay it down.  I don't really miss it and don't really have a desire to ride again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I only had my motorcycle for about 3 years and then I sold it.  First year was great.  I went on quite a few rides with my brother and friends.  Second year I hardly rode it.  I sold it the third year.  I miss riding it but I don't miss dealing with the idiots.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#19]
After owning motorcycles continuously for forty-one years, I finally sold mine last year and got out of two wheel transportation.
I thought I'd miss it, and I did for about two months, but now its been a year and my convertible roadster fills the "wind in my hair" need just fine.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]
New Triumph dealer down the street from me makes me want to start riding but I'm too risk averse to actually do it.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Take a break and see how you feel 6-12 months from now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I gave it up completely. Even sold the bikes.
Just didn't have the time any more. New wife, kids, job, etc.
The poor bike just sat there collecting dust.
Maybe if I get to retire I may go back with a small bike.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a hodaka when I was like 19.  Scared the fuck out of myself and sold it that summer.  

Then I met my wife and her sister was killed on a motorcycle so they were pretty much verboten with her family.

I love fast cars,  boats, jet skis,  etc but I leave bikes alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Just recently.
Started riding in 1967.
Will be selling the BMW soon.
I have done so many things on motorcycles and gone all over the continent on them that even my girlfriend was surprised when I told her.
The truth is after all these years the last ten have been fraught with dangers here in Houston with drunk ass drivers,illegal aliens,and texting Volvo drivers that I have come very close to getting killed several times.
And I am a very good rider and that along with some luck is the only reason I made through all of these things.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Sold mine last year after almost being taken out by idiot drivers for the hundredth time.

I was into riding, including dirtbiking, for 16 years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I rode for a decade or so.  One day, I was hit by an SUV where the other driver was at fault. After the surgery, rehab, trial, etc. I went back to riding, but the number of ever increasing close calls took away the fun.

I sold my five bikes. I miss it from time to time, but I'm okay without riding.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I love motorcycles.  But having kids changed my perspective on things.....so I no longer ride.

Simply put, too many people depend on me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Sold my bike 20 years ago. Haven't ridden since.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Raced MX for years, rode sport bikes for a few years. Haven't owned a 2 wheeled vehicle in 4 years. I want another bike (either motocross or a sport bike), but every opportunity I've had to buy one, I've come up with some reason not to do it. Had the rear tire go flat on my TL1000R at like 50mph on a back road at night, scared the crap out of me (didn't lay it down though, somehow).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Sold all of mine in 2007 after owning and riding for 10y.  Occasionally I have a feeling of longing or nostalgia...but it is fleeting and faint.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems kind of odd to want to hang it up after riding so long.  Sounds like motorcycles are part of your life, anything else going on?  Medically?  Emotionally?

I gave up motorcycling, but I wasn't into it that long.  It just got to be a pain owning/maintaining multiple vehicles.  Then I found I rode the bike less and less.  Then kids and the bike just collected dust.  Then with the added responsibilities of a kid I felt unsafe on the bike.  Figured every ride was one closer to an inevitable crash.  I sold the bike and never looked back.
View Quote

You're right, it does feel odd.  In my life everything is great, my Lady is wonderful, I've got a great job, house, cars, all the toys are paid for, my health is excellent, we're even planning on early retirement within a year to a year and a half.  That's why I'm surprised I'm so dispassionate about something I've done literally forever, it feels like I burned out, maybe I just need a break from it and see where it heads, riding without passion and being 'in the ride' is a great way to end up a statistic and I think that's why my miles this year were so low...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Gave it up after only riding for a year in college, I felt to exposed on the roads and was mental drained after every ride.  Funny thing is I have been riding dirtbikes and sleds for a long time and still do. Something about being on a road with a bunch of 'tards scares the shit out of me as compared to being on a trail, dunes, snow
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Not yet.  I really like the moto camping lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Sold mine last weekend.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I cruise around town a bit but no more long trips or highway. Too many idiots out there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Parked my bike shortly after my son was born.
He is going on 8 now.
Still have my bike, stashed in the corner, dont really see any need to get rid of it though.
Maybe some day when my kids are older the desire to ride again will come back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I quit. I got tired of log trucks and gravel trucks having rocks, bark and whatever else fly off of them on a regular basis coming towards you at 70mph.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Started riding crotch rockets with a Z1-R Kawi in 78 when we still called them "cafe racers."

That asshole everybody in a car hates because he threads in and out of highway traffic at 100 MPH, leaving you stuck behind the other asshole going 54 MPH- yup, that was me.

Had GSXRs, a VMAX and after getting re-married a VROD.

Sold it 3 years ago after four cocksuckers inside one hour almost kilt us.

Don't miss it at all.

Shove that phone up your ass you motherfucker.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Just lost interest.  When  I realized the BMW had not been out of the garage in over a year I sold it.  Just spent the time on other projects.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather taught me how to ride a trail 70 when i was about 5 or 6.  I'll be 48 tomorrow and still love it as much as ever.   I don't enjoy riding in town much,  spend way too much time with my head on a swivel. I am lucky that I have the Sierras ( gold country area ) right at my doorstep and all my riding is done up there on my KTM 525mxc ( supermoto ).   Three of the guys I ride supermotos with are older than me and one of them is in his 70's.   As long as I still have access to great low traffic areas I'll ride as long as I am able.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#43]
The damned illegal aliens play Tijuana Bumper-Cars around here. None of them have licenses and none of them have insurance. If they cause a major accident, they grab their jacket and their lunch box out of their wrecked junkers, leave them stalled in traffic and run off through the yards between the houses.

If they DO stop, it's just to take your watch and check your pockets for any loose cash before they leave you for dead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I put it on hiatus when I was awarded custody of my kids,  but as soon as they're grown and on their own, there's going to be a Ducati in the garage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#45]
OP, I never was a bike rider.

But my boy, who is now approaching 40 years old, was a big motorcyclist and jet ski rider.  

He surprised me recently by saying he is ready to sell his jet skis as he spends most of his lake time now in his 30-foot boat.  

He also has three bikes - including one of those hot Honda supersport bikes that will fly, and he is thinking of selling two of his three bikes and keeping the tamest one for around town riding only

Time passes and people change.

I think my boy is getting to the age that he no longer feels immortal any more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I sold all my bikes and gear last year after riding for over 40 years. In my youth I spent 18 years wrenching and running motorcycle service departments. Always did all my own work. It got to the point where I just wasn't excited about it anymore. Plus I'm older and my reaction times have slowed. Miss it? Sometimes, yea but I'm putting my resources into other areas now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've only been riding for about 8 years and have also had lulls or periods where the bike doesn't "do it for me".  I just keep it in the garage, and then when the mood strikes me I take it out.  I ride a lot more now since I have moved from Ohio to NC.  

Best advice I can give is absence makes the heart grow fonder, just don't sell your bike (the one that you work on the least amount lol) and there will come a day when you get the itch again.

It's a lot harder up north, the roads are WAY worse, and you're right about texters etc.  I try to ride out in the country where the curves are sweeping and there are no redlights, riding to work or for general transportation usually sucks.

I've done Sturgis and Bike week etc, they're neat to see once but not really my thing.  It's all marketing and selling crap.  Everything fun about Sturgis can be found in SD all year round.  Except FTS, that place was kinda cool.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]

I do appreciate all the input from everyone, it seems that a majority of we motorcyclists are seeing the problem of distracted drivers turning a motorcycle ride into, as pale_pony so accurately said, 'Death Chess'... I do believe that's a major part of my problem as well, it feels like I'm willingly putting myself at the mercy of people who are so self absorbed that paying attention has become a secondary consideration to them.  Pony is right, they don't have skin in the game but our lives can be forever altered in the blink of an eye.  I've never been one to give in or let the bastards win but part of my concern is, even if I'm 100% right I'm still the one who pays the price...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#49]
To many close calls.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#50]

I rode daily, commuting in Florida for years  . Hell , that's how I moved to Florida from Maine in 90.

But about 97-98 or so , I just kinda burnt out on it , and havent owned one since .

I have been getting the itch again , slowly over the past few years , to the point where I'm wondering what I could trade off to somehow buy another .

KLR or an XLR 650 .....mmmmmmm

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top