Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:32 AM EDT
Never been in a gander mountain before. I heard they were high, but I was expecting bass pro kinda high but they make bass pro look cheap.

Example.
XD40 $550, small lgs has the same pistol for $389.
Bi tone version was a $130 up charge, bi tone usually runs  $50 over the black model.

Used police trade ins. Glock 21 that was literally silver on half the slide from holster wear, $550.

Lake city xm193 1000 rounds  $500.

I will say the customer service was over the top. I was asked if I needed help 15+ times, I guess they have a speak to everyone you see policy. They are better than bass pro in that section, our bass pro is staffed by old men just filling the gap left after their SS check. It's like pulling teeth to get help at the gun counter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
While I like Gander Mountain for some items (some fishing supplies), they are way over-priced for a lot of other items.  Their guns and ammo is way over-priced.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in Columbus Ohio for training and stopped in the gun superstore one, I felt sorta bad laughing so loud at the prices.
They make gun show prices seem cheap.

The price I msot remember was at the GM by me, it was a mixmaster colt carbine that looked rough and they were asking almost $2500 for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was checking out there one time and they had pens on the counter that were fletched like arrows. Thought it looked cool, so I went to buy one. Rang up $1700.00

I was all WTF, the decimal is obviously off. The admitted it was, but the manager wouldn't sell it for the correct price of $1.70. Complete fucking idiocy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Gander is a great place to fondle guns (because of the large selection) before you buy the same thing online for far less, even after FFL transfer fees.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to one last week for the first time.

Just like you, I was shocked at the prices!

They had a nice ammo selection, but the reloading section had a couple bags of shotgun wads and brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I stopped by the one in Charleston after hitting a sale at Cabela's.    You're right, their prices make Cabela's and Bass Pro seem reasonable.

Century Mosin 91/30's were going for $99 apiece at the time from Century, along with the bayonet, pouches and accessories.  Gander had them for $395.  Mossberg .22 AR lookalike was $695.  Gen 4 Glock 19, $795.  Rock Idland Tactical 1911's were $329 at Bud's, Gander's price...$795.  I laughed my ass off.  Salesman was incredibly butthurt.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Gander Mountain sucks!  Even Walmart kicks their ass in ammo prices here.  This world is full of idiots.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I call them Squander Mountain.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Local GanderMountain will honor price mistakes on their printed ad for the first day, so I've found some good deals.  Friend picked up a Ruger SR1911 for ~$500 last year I think.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The customer service is only "over the top" south of the mason-dixon line.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
We have a Gander Mountain nearby, but I don't know how it stays in business. Their prices for ammo to sneakers to shirts is so extremely high it makes CTD appear to be a bargain.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I buy ammo for my pistol from there from time to time.  it's about $1-$2 more than walmart, but they usually have it and I don't have to spend 10 mins trying to find some mouth breathing walmart employee to open the gun cabinet.  i'll also buy clothes from there when the seasons change and stuff is on sale.  I got a nice jacket for $50 that was normally $90.  other than that, they are so expensive.  556 is at least 50 cents a round if not more.  who the fuck is buying at that price?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While I like Gander Mountain for some items (some fishing supplies), they are way over-priced for a lot of other items.  Their guns and ammo is way over-priced.
View Quote
This. The one by me is really good for archery, and that's about it. Well, reactive targets aren't bad either.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#14]
The Gander Mountain in Beaumont, Texas looks like a ghost town the last couple years. When they first opened it was a pretty neat store. Then all the guns went behind the counter, employees disappeared prices went through the roof and inventory is low grade. Went in just the other day to pick up some targets and even the selection of those was dismal. Ammo shelves were overflowing and prices were crazy high. They officially suck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I stopped by the one in Charleston after hitting a sale at Cabela's.    You're right, their prices make Cabela's and Bass Pro seem reasonable.

Century Mosin 91/30's were going for $99 apiece at the time from Century, along with the bayonet, pouches and accessories.  Gander had them for $395.  Mossberg .22 AR lookalike was $695.  Gen 4 Glock 19, $795.  Rock Idland Tactical 1911's were $329 at Bud's, Gander's price...$795.  I laughed my ass off.  Salesman was incredibly butthurt.
View Quote

Diplomacy 101
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Mossberg .22 AR lookalike was $695.
View Quote
Like this one for $170?  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Our local gander went to commissioned salesmen a few years ago.  Not sure if that is corporate wide, but may explain why people were constantly asking if you needed help.

Check clothing sales whenever you can.  I got a nice Carhartt jacket once for $30.  Never found a decent sale on camo, however.  That shit is priced like it's sewn with gold thread.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought 9mm there once when I was on the way to the range and didn't have time to go elsewhere.  Never again will I be that unprepared.  On the other hand, during the panic, I bought some CCI Standard Velocity for 8 or 9 cents a round.  Not that the price was great, but it was there and there was no shipping cost.  There was no one there and it was just sitting there on a Sunday afternoon.  I tried to buy a Black Friday Mosin in 2011 for $99 and when I got to the store they had a sign up saying they didn't have any due to a problem with the importer...as though they didn't know that when they printed the flyers for the newspaper.  I got a raincheck and imagine that, never heard back.  I've been there a few times since.  Once, I saw a 420 round ammo can of 855 for $249.00 prior to the panic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The customer service is only "over the top" south of the mason-dixon line.
View Quote

South of the mason-dixon here, and I usually have to wait 10-15 minutes to look at a gun and normally watch 2-3 different employees look at me and walk past a few times each.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#20]
They have Gander in the name for a reason.

It's the place you go to take a gander at the things you might want, then you go buy it online for half the price.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Someone on here posted that Gander Mountain is the original neck beard.  I lol'd
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you go to the new one that just opened in Montgomery?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been in a gander mountain before. I heard they were high, but I was expecting bass pro kinda high but they make bass pro look cheap...

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#24]
In my area their prices are about the same as Bass Pro and Cabela's.  They have a decent selection but you can get ammo much cheaper from Wal-Mart and the LGS will always be about 10% cheaper on the guns.

About a year ago I got a Gander Mountain CC and use the rewards points.  I pay it off each month and have used my rewards to buy what I need.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#26]
They're good for a laugh or two, and not my first choice for buying anything. They do, however, usually have a decent selection (at their firearms super centers) and a great place to fondle a piece before deciding on one (a lot like the Best Buy experience). I have gotten some pretty good deals when I actually spent the time to haggle and hee-haw the salesman. It's doable, but a pain.  

It's gems like these Sig P250 for only $500! that make me question how they survive as a gun retailer
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been in a gander mountain before. I heard they were high, but I was expecting bass pro kinda high but they make bass pro look cheap...

Yes.

I wondered the same thing.  I stopped by there this week too and was also asked if I needed help about 10 times.  They were certainly polite, but it being their opening week, I am not surprised all the employees were eager and trying to make a good impression.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#28]
They re-opened the one closest to me months ago, it was a mess when I went in opening week, no big deal.

I went in again last week, they still has boxes of un-stocked shit all over the place and nothing had price tags on it.

Who the fuck wants to shop when half the inventory is in boxes and none of it is labeled.

The manager needs to get his shit together.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Let's not forget this gem.  

Gander Goddamn Mountain
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went into that GM once.
Once.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I call them Squander Mountain.
View Quote

More like "Neckbeard Mountain"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our local gander went to commissioned salesmen a few years ago.  Not sure if that is corporate wide, but may explain why people were constantly asking if you needed help.

Check clothing sales whenever you can.  I got a nice Carhartt jacket once for $30.  Never found a decent sale on camo, however.  That shit is priced like it's sewn with gold thread.
View Quote

After season clothing sales are pretty good, screw them for pretty much anything else.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I generally use them for last minute things like extra targets or something I forgot on the way to the range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Gander Goddamn Mountain
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to love going to Gander Mt, until they put all the guns behind the counter.  I liked being able to look at and handle a gun without the sales ghouls hanging over me.

Now, not so much.

But I do under stand why they put them behind the counter.  I've seen more than one unattended kid drop a rifle on the floor fucking with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I've gone to our local one for fishing stuff (nowhere else decent that I've found, really).

I keep going because they have VCDL information everywhere and the checkout folks have VCDL "Guns Save Lives" buttons on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Gander Goddamn Mountain
View Quote

I know that guy has to be a member here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
What store can you compare to Gander Mountain? Are they more like Sportsmans/Cabelas/BPS or more like a Dick's Sporting goods?

I've never been to one, I've never even heard of them here in AZ. Only reason I know what they are is because of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What store can you compare to Gander Mountain? Are they more like Sportsmans/Cabelas/BPS or more like a Dick's Sporting goods?

I've never been to one, I've never even heard of them here in AZ. Only reason I know what they are is because of Arfcom.
View Quote

Kinda like Dicks, but only the hunting/fishing section of Dicks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#40]
What sealed the deal for me was the time I asked the guy at the gun counter if they had any magazines for a Springfield XD. He said, "You mean like a free pamphlet or sumthin? Nah buddy I don't think we have that." Then looked at his coworker and chuckled.

Another time, they had one of those ugly Glock conversion things that basically just makes it an uglier, clunkier pistol. I asked the guy at the counter what it was.
He said, "That things a real crowd hoser."

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I very rarely buy anything gun related there, just tackle, I have one right down the street and its among the last of my options.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What sealed the deal for me was the time I asked the guy at the gun counter if they had any magazines for a Springfield XD. He said, "You mean like a free pamphlet or sumthin? Nah buddy I don't think we have that." Then looked at his coworker and chuckled.

Another time, they had one of those ugly Glock conversion things that basically just makes it an uglier, clunkier pistol. I asked the guy at the counter what it was.
He said, "That things a real crowd hoser."

View Quote

Funny guy.
Next question: "How about a corporate office, you got one of them?"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
You should see the one in my town advertised as Indianas largest gun store. $800 glock 32s, $45 44mag blazer, I nearly split my gut laughing at the prices.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I work in Montgomery but haven't made it by yet.

I've been to the one up in Huntsville a few times over the years, but I think the only thing I've bought there was a tent that was on sale/clearance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I work in Montgomery but haven't made it by yet.

I've been to the one up in Huntsville a few times over the years, but I think the only thing I've bought there was a tent that was on sale/clearance.

There is a guy that calls himself Hardshell that calls into the local radio show on 93.1 often, would that be you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Gander Goddamn Mountain
View Quote

I'm crying here.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I have Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain and the dicks at dicks in my area.  Gander Mtn will be the last of them I would go to.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I love posting this pic I took in Indianapolis

Go fuck yourself Gander
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#48]
There is a new Gander Mountain opening here next week. Never been in one.  I was looking forward to checking them out.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Once in a great while (in between meh rebuilt SA Garands for $3500) the one around here will have a smoking deal on random used guns. The used gun jackpot is the only reason I ever go into ours anymore but I haven't even seen anything good in a long time now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top