Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 8:37:53 AM EDT
I love it when the government openly fears the empowerment of the private citizen.

Google Defends Lollipop OS Despite FBI Concerns

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:46 PM ET

FOXBusiness

Despite concerns from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL)unveiled and defended its latest mobile operating system, Android 5.0 Lollipop, that changes how security works. The OS features new automatic encryption technology for user privacy and data protection.  

"The consumer seemed to want it. They've been asking us for this,” Google Vice President of Engineering Hiroshi Lockheimer told FOX Business in an interview.

"In fact, in terms of security and encryption specifically, we have had that for three years now in Androids and we have now turned it on by default in Lollipop,” Lockheimer, who helped lead Lollipop's design, explained. "We think it's the right thing to do.”

Google said the automatic activation will help keep user data even safer as the operating system expands to serve cars and watches, in addition to smartphones and tablets.

FBI Director James Comey, however, disagrees. On October 16, he warned about Google and Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) automatic mobile device encryption "threatens to lead all of us to a very dark place.”

"I’m deeply concerned about this, as both a law enforcement officer and a citizen,” Comey said at the Brookings Institution. "I understand some of this thinking in a post-Snowden world, but I believe it is mostly based on a failure to understand why we in law enforcement do what we do and how we do it.”

Comey took a swipe directly at Google and Apple, adding: "Encryption isn’t just a technical feature; it’s a marketing pitch. But it will have very serious consequences for law enforcement and national security agencies at all levels. Sophisticated criminals will come to count on these means of evading detection. It’s the equivalent of a closet that can’t be opened. A safe that can’t be cracked.”

In terms of how Google engineers and executives are grappling with Comey’s assessment, Lockheimer said, it's an "interesting" conundrum.

"We do believe this data belongs to the consumer and this is their device," he said.

Inside the Googleplex in Mountain View, California, cyber attacks and malware are at the top of engineers’ minds as they craft new products and update those that exist.

"There's been a lot of discussion on malware and we focus a lot on that,” Lockheimer told FOX Business.  "In fact, the Google Play store, which is where you can download applications on your Android device, is extremely secure. We have put in a lot of thought behind programmatically screening that we weed out the bad actors. There's a lot we have been doing behind the scenes and we are happy consumers can enjoy their devices safely."

Android Lollipop features several other security features including a new device manager, which can help find a lost device or remotely wipe it clean, and a new lock screen that will keep unauthorized users from accessing data.

The new OS will be available on November 3.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
FBI sounds like a bunch of whiny lazy babies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Good but you can be sure they are working hard to hack it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FBI sounds like a bunch of whiny lazy babies.
View Quote

Some things never change...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
But if the Feds can't hack our stuff then the terrorists win!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't google's motto "don't be evil?"

This is the right thing to do. Even if its just from the "the customer is asking for it, so we're giving it to them" standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't buy it. The government has been making way too big a deal out of the kind of thing they like to keep quiet. Everyone of these stories is probably part of a secret contract for an NSA backdoor.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
That is why i still use truecrypt.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

its been compromised by the 3 letter agencies.  do NOT use the latest version

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.0a  .gov didn't like not being able to break it and shut them down.  I'm just glad i had a old copy still sticking around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't remember agreeing to waive my rights to make the FBI's job easier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't remember agreeing to waive my rights to make the FBI's job easier.
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Hiroshi Lockheimer
View Quote

what kind of name is that?

Japanese/Jew?

Japanese/German?

I'm confused
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Fpni

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
If they want it, they'll find a way to get it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#24]
what we need is independent verification that there really isn't a backdoor.  someone good with code could probably do that.  I don't trust the feds.  This could very well be a very sneaky way to use counterintelligence if they have a back-door set up already...make a lot of noise, get people to believe it is secure, when it isn't.  People convert.  Data accessible.  Nobody actually tests it because the feds screamed to high hell.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
is supposed to be hard for the State to seize/access ones  person, house, paper, and effects.  thats pretty much the whole point

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't buy it. The government has been making way too big a deal out of the kind of thing they like to keep quiet. Everyone of these stories is probably part of a secret contract for an NSA backdoor.
View Quote

This, modern marvels had a show about 90's tech and the then ceo of google stated they would share information with the government.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Probably already backdoored.
View Quote

I think that is Apples CEOs thing now?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This, modern marvels had a show about 90's tech and the then ceo of google stated they would share information with the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's perfectly acceptable, to me, for a corporation to comply with a legal order of disclosure on data they posses.

This is different.

This is about data on the phone itself. Google's stance is that if they don't have it, they aren't going to *provide* a way for ANYONE to get it, including the feds. Which, is also perfectly reasonable and compatible with Google's stated philosophies.

For all the data gathering Google does, they are a shrewd company who understands what their product is. Their product *is* the consumer. It's in their best interest to protect *you* at all costs, since that's what they're selling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#32]
If the FBI had not been spying on us all the time, maybe the providers would not have had to do this.

Therefore, FBI, its your fault. So, go sit on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#33]

but I believe it is mostly based on a failure to understand why we in law enforcement do what we do and how we do it.

View Quote

How does one even say this with a straight face, like there hasn't been a widespread, long-lasting public awakening to the widespread corruption in law enforcement.  People understand exactly what they do and how they abuse it.  What a fucking scumbag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"I’m deeply concerned about this, as both a law enforcement officer and a citizen,” Comey said at the Brookings Institution. "I understand some of this thinking in a post-Snowden world, but I believe it is mostly based on a failure to understand why we in law enforcement do what we do and how we do it.”

View Quote

Oh, I understand entirely what you do and why you do it.  You should have fucking been more careful in your doing it.  Government simply assumed the power to determine what data they would gather, and went well beyond what citizens are comfortable with.  Anyone that put just a little bit of thought into how people would feel about it would have figured it out, they had gone too far.  And I'm 100% certain that they did put that thought into it and KNEW FULL WELL what they were doing and the consequences of it.  That's the real reason they hid it, and why they go after leaks so hard.  

Well, fuck you Mr. Comey, and those who think and act like you. Fuck you with a rusty nail spiked fence post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Tough shit!

Fuck 'em.

Yay Google!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh, I understand entirely what you do and why you do it.  You should have fucking been more careful in your doing it.  Government simply assumed the power to determine what data they would gather, and went well beyond what citizens are comfortable with.  Anyone that put just a little bit of thought into how people would feel about it would have figured it out, they had gone too far.  And I'm 100% certain that they did put that thought into it and KNEW FULL WELL what they were doing and the consequences of it.  That's the real reason they hid it, and why they go after leaks so hard.  

Well, fuck you Mr. Comey, and those who think and act like you. Fuck you with a rusty nail spiked fence post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the fact that he refers to the new attitudes as a "post-Snowden" world. Notice he's not apologizing for the snooping, he's blaming the whistle-blower.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Isn't google's motto "don't be evil?"

This is the right thing to do. Even if its just from the "the customer is asking for it, so we're giving it to them" standpoint.
View Quote

I wish our government followed the same motto.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like the fact that he refers to the new attitudes as a "post-Snowden" world. Notice he's not apologizing for the snooping, he's blaming the whistle-blower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely.  That's really all they've got, because they know in their bones it was WRONG.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#39]
FBI needs some new hackers
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what you did there, I see it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#42]
FBI Director James Comey.  

Fuck that guy, and his boss.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
A secret contract for a NSA back door would still keep most the FBI and normal law enforcement out.  While some higher ups might be read onto the program(s), the rank and file wouldn't have access or know about it.  You don't want to tip your hand to average people that the back door exists, so it gets saved for high value targets.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't buy it either, not for a second.  More likely there is a NSL or similar for a backdoor in place.  Then there's the rubber hose decrypt...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Now we see who all the pedophile sympathizers are
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Bullshit Google has been feeding the government customer data. They are all full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

FBI needs some new hackers bosses and supervision that is honest and adheres to the US Constitution.

View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
When ever phone and eltronic chip set is coming from China with back doors built into it this encryption stuff is just feel good crap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Hard to believe we live in a world where agencies feel comfortable so blatantly stating they have no regard for individual privacy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top