Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 8:30:35 AM EDT
A social acquaintance of mine did.  I can't imagine sending my kid to live somewhere else 9 months out of the year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the state reform school count?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a military school in my town. I feel sorry for some of those kids. To add insult to injury many are made to go to the summer school program they have there too.

Lots of DC based foreign diplomat kids go there from what I understand. Lots of Korean and Indian kids too.

That said the school (Randolph-Macon Academy) gets top-notch ratings. It costs about 40K a year to send a kid there when you count all the "extras". 34K base.

It's changed a lot. I remember when it was just more of a place for rich people in the DC area to send their unruly kids. LOL....I don't know how many times they would set it on fire to be able to go home.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I did. I went as a sophomore. I was a good kid at home as well. I didnt get shipped off. I went because it offered an opportunity to have a better education.

I did ok to start. It was rough living pretty much on your own at that age. So much to worry about etc...

What I did at boarding school was much like college.

I think they need to transition kids into it though. Especially if they are going to college and living on campus.

I think by their senior year a kid at boarding should pretty much be able to self sustain themselves.

I was self sustaining at the age of 14. While I had meals provided, I have to figure out my study, sleep, sports schedule.

When I hit college, it was everything above with meals added.

I did much better than a lot of others who just got thrown to the fire.

I did way better than those "shipped" off for behavioral problems. Those kids just ended up doing worse. The got freedom and all hell broke loose.

Edit:

I wont do this to my kids but I will make high school much like what college will be like.

It is my job to prepare them for it. My kids are going to a private christian school, I shouldn't have that problem

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I did. There is a huge range of schools. Some where delinquents are sent vs some that are the most prestigious prep schools in the country.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
A close friend of the family was sent to one. (in the '30's)  I think it screwed up his concept of family for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A close friend of the family was sent to one. (in the '30's)  I think it screwed up his concept of family for the rest of his life.  
View Quote

I worked with a guy from a VERY politically prominent family in GA.  His mother pushed his father to ship him off to military school at age 5.  He only got to go home for Christmas break.  From age 5 until he graduated at age 18 and then he joined the AF.  He never had anything to do with his parents after that.

He had absolutely zero concept of family life.  But his mom and dad were able to party with the elite every night and play horsey set with zero cares about her child causing any interference.

When she dropped dead of a heart attack, the guy celebrated for days, including drinking a bottle of scotch as her funeral was going on (he did not attend).  To this day I feel the guy would have been far better off if his parents had put him up for adoption instead of putting him away at military school.  He might not have been part of a well-monied family if that happened, but growing up in a working class family with interaction with parents would be better than what he got.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
nope
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a military school in my town. I feel sorry for some of those kids. To add insult to injury many are made to go to the summer school program they have there too.

Lots of DC based foreign diplomat kids go there from what I understand. Lots of Korean and Indian kids too.

That said the school (Randolph-Macon Academy) gets top-notch ratings. It costs about 40K a year to send a kid there when you count all the "extras". 34K base.

It's changed a lot. I remember when it was just more of a place for rich people in the DC area to send their unruly kids. LOL....I don't know how many times they would set it on fire to be able to go home.

View Quote

My family relocated to the DC area during my freshman year.  I went to FUMA that year and returned to public school the next year. I was really into athletics so FUMA wasn't that bad as the facilities and programs are really good.  No chicks though but I dated a fluvanna chick some how ....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I went because I chose to.  Good kid at home, good kid there, great relationship with my parents.  It isn't the kind of school kids get "shipped off to".  Great education and as an added bonus it made college seem easy.

For those that say you would never do this, if you haven't taught your child good values, decision making skills, work ethic, etc. by age 13, you never will.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I went all 4 years of high school because I wanted to
Tried public school for 2 years in 7th and 8th grades and it was nothing but a daycare for yutes

I will try to get my kids to go too only to avoid government schools
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went because I chose to.  Good kid at home, good kid there, great relationship with my parents.  It isn't the kind of school kids get "shipped off to".  Great education and as an added bonus it made college seem easy.

For those that say you would never do this, if you haven't taught your child good values, decision making skills, work ethic, etc. by age 13, you never will.
View Quote

Call it selfish. I would want that time with my kid.

Not implying anything in your case, just voicing a personal preference.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems like it would make you stronger.
Going by what I've read over the years it would appear to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top