Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 8:19:36 AM EDT
So I'm having a meh day. I was being sneaky at work and I decided to take a look at my co workers pay check while he was looking at it online. I shouldn't
have, but I couldn't resist.

Backstory. We were hired a week apart for the same position that had two openings. I am a new grad and he is an old retired guy.
He doesn't have the experience for the job that we have and no education. I am the opposite. Besides some internships and retail work
I have little experience with a college degree.

Then I find out that he makes quite a bit more than I do. It's salary, but if I translate it to hourly, it's about 8 dollars an hour higher.
Is it normal to feel like I've been slapped in the face?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
time to find another job.  they think you are stupid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the world of your first job.  How long have you been there?  Did you make a counter-offer when you were hired?
Older guys usually have a few more bargaining chips.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
he obviously negotiated better.  Right or wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Older = more pay.  It's because he has real world experience and you don't.  It's also because, as a new grad, they know they don't have to pay you shit so they don't.

Get experience, make yourself valuable to employers, and you'll end up being the highly-paid person.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A salary generally means you negotiated your pay with your employer.  Did you do that?  If so he's evidently smarter than you are.  Or he works harder than you.  Or he whines less.  Probably all three.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he obviously negotiated better.  Right or wrong.
View Quote

That's my assumption. I won't leave because the job market is tough. I was just lucky to find one, and it took 8 months. I was working
at my old college job in the mean time, which was really depressing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks. If you think you are worth more as an employee than he is, find another job or ask for raise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Older = more pay.  It's because he has real world experience and you don't.  It's also because, as a new grad, they know they don't have to pay you shit so they don't.

Get experience, make yourself valuable to employers, and you'll end up being the highly-paid person.

View Quote

This . Also you do know prior to hire your salary is negotiable right? I am sure he did not accept the first figure thrown at him and you probably did as most new grads are eager to get a job.

ETA: You will also find 99.9% of the time experience trumps college degrees. Especially if you're in the IT field like I am. They could give 0 fucks about a degree. Certificates are nice but experience trumps all!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A salary generally means you negotiated your pay with your employer.  Did you do that?  If so he's evidently smarter than you are.  Or he works harder than you.  Or he whines less.  Probably all three.
View Quote

But look at it this way, you're learning something finally
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I forgot to ask OP are you a woman? IF so that answers the question. See republicans waged a war on women and they only make .70 on the dollar of their male counterparts. So if you're a woman that clears everything up.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Find another job before you get fired for looking at someone elses pay. Had to do it twice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
You sound like an entitled whiny bitch.  I'm betting the older guy works circles around you and justifies his $8 more per hour.  If I were your employer I would show you the breadline for looking over my shoulder at confidential information.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You sound like an entitled whiny bitch.  I'm betting the older guy works circles around you and justifies his $8 more per hour.  If I were your employer I would show you the breadline for looking over my shoulder at confidential information.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I'm having a meh day. I was being sneaky at work and I decided to take a look at my co workers pay check while he was looking at it online. I shouldn't
?
View Quote

Maybe they're paying him more because he's ethical and honest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Pretty much the answer is that is he better than you are, and you might even be kind of a dullard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
New grad = I might actually be able to learn the job I went to school for 4 years to have.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
What industry are you in?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
I did this once too-ruined a good job for me and I had to quit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Not the way you thought it would go OP?

In for the pig pile!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Oh snap!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
You should never look at someone else's salary. Its unprofessional for one, and disrespectful to the other employee. Also, you could have set yourself up for a hostile work environment case if the other employee finds out you were looking at his salary. That is a breach of privacy in the work environment, and most respectable companies with a good HR department don't take those things kindly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm fine. Beats not having a job at all, or rather a shitty one. I like where I work too much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Backstory. We were hired a week apart for the same position that had two openings. I am a new grad and he is an old retired guy.
He doesn't have the experience for the job that we have and no education. I am the opposite. Besides some internships and retail work

Then I find out that he makes quite a bit more than I do. It's salary, but if I translate it to hourly, it's about 8 dollars an hour higher.
View Quote

I came out of college making about $55K and thought it was great considering I knew some folks at the time that hadn't found a job in over a year of looking.  
That being said, the assbag that hired me hired his buddy(3 years older than me) that was a little older with no degree and some work experience to manage Million Dollar project at about $70K.
I spent the remaining time picking up his workload while he could only manage one project at a time and got no raise.  Yes I am still bitter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm fine. Beats not having a job at all, or rather a shitty one. I like where I work too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, having a job is always better then watching everyone drive by your place on their way to work.
I've done that many times, depressing as hell.
The last place that I worked we had a guy opening paychecks before he handed them off to coworkers...
He was fired. His curiousity cost him his job, he found out that he was actually making more money than most of the people he was handing the checks to.
That was the end of us being able to just go and pick up a departments checks while getting our own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Life experience has value in some positions.  The longer you live the more you learn.  If you have learned things/skills that an employer wants they will pay more for it.  A kid just out of college has almost no real world life experience and is an unknown entity.  For example a recent grad could still be getting black out drunk Thursday nights and miss work on Friday.  The old timer would only due that if he has a really bad drinking problem.

There is a recent grad that started work where I am at and is 14 years younger than I am.  He is smart as hell and hasn't been burnt out on the job yet.  I would have no problem if he made a lot more than me but right now he does not.  He has to prove himself just like every other college grad, especially since he doesn't have the life experience of calmly dealing with the massive amounts of red tape at our employer.

My advice, get 3 to 5 years of solid work experience and then start looking for another company to work for.  If you really like your job and have done good work for them, you could also go in and ask for an extra raise since you have proven yourself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Old guys get paid, general, because:

experience
they show up on time
ability to work unsupervised
they tutor younger less experienced employees
they don't get loaded mid week and call in sick as much, less absenteeism.
better communication skills
and we are very 'efficient ' in our movements!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Salary's usually have a certain number of hours overtime calculated in which could explain some of the $8.  Also keep in mind salaried employees often get abused working lots of what would be overtime for you, for free.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a different deal with each one of my employees and it's no one's business what somebody else makes. My company policy forbids anyone from discussing wages with fellow workers, (although realistically I know people find that stuff out).

I'd be inclined to find a reason to fire you if you brought that shit to me after you'd been snooping on the other guy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#29]
He probably gets paid more because they don't have to work about him looking at shit he's not supposed to. Seriously, if you were so concerned ask him up front, not sneak a look. You sound like a typical early twenties individual who expects to have the best and the most just because you're there. Take tht time you spent snooping and show your employer you are worthy of higher pay.

Participation trophy generation were ya?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Experience is everything.  It's also possible that he negotiated better, or your employer thinks he's worth more than you are.

At my last job I found out that a guy I worked with who was hired at the same time as me was making about $5k-$7k less per year than me.  I had experience in the field already and he didn't (even though he was a few years older).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#31]
You said "Old retired guy".  If he truly is in a position to be retired he has a great bargaining position.  Quite simply, "Give me what I ask for because I can afford to walk".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

fpni
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You said "Old retired guy".  If he truly is in a position to be retired he has a great bargaining position.  Quite simply, "Give me what I ask for because I can afford to walk".
View Quote

Just semantics here but how could he be retired if he has a job?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Never Never Never look at a coworkers paycheck, Nothing good ever becomes of it.

You agreed to work for that amount and they are paying what You agreed on.

Be a man of your word or find a new job.

The only slap you should be feeling is that you dishonored yourself and your coworker by looking.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#35]
?you were hired for the same job but he's salary and you are hourly?  you sure he's not your boss?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Is there some avg salary for your type of position in the area?  Any idea how you might be compensated relative to equivalent pay grades internally or similar positions elsewhere?  For all we know, this old booger had something the company really liked (and no so apparent on paper), or may be had good relations with folks in the hiring process.  It's not uncommon for this type of thing to happen.  How might you both have demonstrated employee worth at this point?  If you think you are doing circles around the guy and are a very good hire, bring up a raise (recommend having an offer in place first...anything but if you have merit....just do it).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Second paragraph may explain a lot, as to the disparity.   It makes no sense.  

And its low class to look into what co workers make.  Do the best you can do and offer to do more.  Exceed expectations.   If you do that you should earn more.
If things don't develop the way you want, find another business to work for, or start your own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck semantics! This is GD

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#39]
#waroncollegegrads
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#40]
did you tell them how "special" you are, that you went to college and you're entitled?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Life experience has value in some positions.  The longer you live the more you learn.  If you have learned things/skills that an employer wants they will pay more for it.  A kid just out of college has almost no real world life experience and is an unknown entity.  For example a recent grad could still be getting black out drunk Thursday nights and miss work on Friday.  The old timer would only due that if he has a really bad drinking problem.

View Quote

There is a recent grad that started work where I am at and is 14 years younger than I am.  He is smart as hell and hasn't been burnt out on the job yet.  I would have no problem if he made a lot more than me but right now he does not.  He has to prove himself just like every other college grad, especially since he doesn't have the life experience of calmly dealing with the massive amounts of red tape at our employer.

My advice, get 3 to 5 years of solid work experience and then start looking for another company to work for.  If you really like your job and have done good work for them, you could also go in and ask for an extra raise since you have proven yourself.
this.

When I started at my current job I had no experience, so I got paid shitty. I caught on quick, busted my ass for a few years and my salary nearly doubled.

Now I'm getting higher offers from other companies trying to steal me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You did a shitty job of negotiating your salary
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Snooping through other people's paychecks is a major violation of trust and privacy.....it's also no good for your morale.

Old guys get more money than young guys. They have more experience. You are getting money, plus experience, he is just getting money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Never Never Never look at a coworkers paycheck, Nothing good ever becomes of it.

You agreed to work for that amount and they are paying what You agreed on.

Be a man of your word or find a new job.

The only slap you should be feeling is that you dishonored yourself and your coworker by looking.

View Quote

+1

What kind of weaselly snake in the grass goes around spying on their co-workers paycheck?

I'd whip someone's ass if I caught them spying on me like that.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#46]
This is most appropriate here

</a>" />

Sounds like a few other people here don't get it either.  You need to grow up.  From everything you presented so far, you are probably getting better than what you deserve.  You ought to be disciplined, possibly even fired.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I know what my coworkers are paid.
Mostly because they are young kids that don't know when to STFU.

I am well compensated for what I do, they are grotesquely overpaid for their skills/experience. I would have killed to make the money those guys are getting paid when I was at that stage of my career. When I was at their level, I was at another company making less then 2/3rds of what they are.

Considering one of the owners of the company seems to be a socialist, that is not surprising.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Never forget, it's all about value. Which of you returns the most value to the company?

It's not about what degree you have. You are selling your time TODAY. You want your employer to think they got a deal at the price they "bought" your time at. You want to think you got a deal at the price you are selling your time for. If you think that the price your time is being bought at is unfair then go sell your time to someone else.

Maybe he provides more value for the company per hour than you do. There is a lot to be said for life experience and OJT.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#50]
If OP were a liberal he would claim it was agism and he is a victim the war on youth. He would then get a bunch of dems to demand that we legislate fair wage for youngsters.

Alert your senators/representatives OP. Tell them you want equal pay for equal work. Its not fair that old fart makes more. He has been alive making money long enough. He has enough money. You're entitled to that money.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top