Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 7:34:51 AM EDT
come this spring I'm planning on moving back home to central PA when my current enlistment is up.

I'll be joining an Air National Guard unit about 40min away from where I grew up. With them I'll have the same job I currently have, on C-130's though, and keep my current rank.

My AFSC ( job) in the Air Force was as a C-130 and later a B-52 aircraft Crew Chief (mechanic). I also served a side position as a unit vehicle trainer. I was the first line supervisor and rater of five junior enlisted Airmen

However, aside from going back there on leave, I haven't lived at home since I left ten years ago. I joined the Air Force straight out of High School so I have no previous experience with writing a resume. I'm going through a Transition Assistance class on base right now. They show you how to write a resume and the more successful ways to apply and interview for a job.

While I'm ready to get out of the AF and go home, I also can't help but be a little scared about this prospect. The last civilian job I worked was as a hardware store clerk back in high school.

Also when I get home, until I'm settled into a new career, I'll be the stereotypical millennial who is back to living with his parents.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on the transition and welcome home to our area.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
No shame in it at all.  You are not free loading and sitting on a couch all day long.  Enjoy it and journey forward.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to work on obtaining your A&P license?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

not sure yet, GI bill will pay for it, but there isn't a big demand for aircraft mechanics back there.

There is a big demand for CDL drivers and auto/diesel mechanics, the GI bill. Pay for the CDL cert and also for school to be am auto or diesel mechanic.

There also is demand for maintenance mechanics at various companies and warehouses.

Along with all of this I'm planning on applying to the Norfolk Southern railroad for a freight conductor position

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Transitioning out of the military is totally different than a typical millennial.  It is one of those tasks that usually requires a little help from family.  Good luck to you and all your future endeavors,  Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck and have fun, You should consider doing another 10 years and retiring even if you change careers
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Why move back home?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got in out in May after 5 years in the army. The transition was a little bumpy for the first few months trying to adjust to a regular life and now I have a good job working for the state. Best of luck to you
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why move back home?
View Quote

This is what I was wondering. I am not passing judgement, but I am curious.

I had a similar experience, KC-130 in the USMC for a few enlistments..got out, got some ratings and went to where the money was for work.

It was by chance not plan that I ended up back in SEMi...where I was before I joined the Marines.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why move back home?
View Quote

While it sounds dumb, even after ten years I still miss the place. Plus my family is all back there. It's a good place to live in that I could live in a small town and be in Philly in a hour and a half

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck.  After 22 years in the Army, my problem was not finding a job (it was a snap).  The problem was fitting in again.  Heinlein was right (as usual) in Starship Troopers, when Johnnie goes home and realizes his old friends are sloppy, don’t understand how the world really works and don’t see the big picture.  Many of my old “best friends” seemed like Al Bundy.  The high point of their lives was high school.  I quickly left again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Transitioning out of the military is totally different than a typical millennial.  It is one of those tasks that usually requires a little help from family.  Good luck to you and all your future endeavors,  Thank you for your service.
View Quote

Yep, when I got out of the Marine Corps, I lasted one day at my parents house before I hit the bricks to concur the world.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, when I got out of the Marine Corps, I lasted one day at my parents house before I hit the bricks to concur the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already been on the phone and on Facebook with friends and relatives inquiring about jobs

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]
"Now they saw it — its newness, its raw crudeness, and its strength — and turned their shuddering eyes away. "Give us back our well-worn husk," they said, "where we were so snug and comfortable." And then they tried word magic. "Conditions are fundamentally sound," they said — by which they meant to reassure themselves that nothing now was really changed, that things were as they always had been, and as they always would be, forever and ever, amen. But they were wrong. They did not know that you can't go home again. America had come to the end of something and to the beginning of something else. But no one knew what that something else would be and out of the change and uncertainly and the wrongness of the leaders grew fear and desperation and before long hunger stalked the streets. Through it all there was still only one certainty, though no one saw it yet. America was still America, and whatever new thing came of it would be American." Thomas Wolfe

Get your A&P. A co-worker of mine's son had recently gotten his and less than 2 years later he is making 31.00 working nearly 80 hrs a week. He is 23-24 specializing in sheetmetal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The transition is like jumping off a merry-go-round onto a bed of nails...piece of cake.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Prepare to get loved tenderly...by your mom insisting on making you meals and washing your clothes since she hasn't been able to take care of her baby boy for the past 10 years
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
come this spring I'm planning on moving back home to central PA when my current enlistment is up.

I'll be joining an Air National Guard unit about 40min away from where I grew up. With them I'll have the same job I currently have, on C-130's though, and keep my current rank.

My AFSC ( job) in the Air Force was as a C-130 and later a B-52 aircraft Crew Chief (mechanic). I also served a side position as a unit vehicle trainer. I was the first line supervisor and rater of five junior enlisted Airmen

However, aside from going back there on leave, I haven't lived at home since I left ten years ago. I joined the Air Force straight out of High School so I have no previous experience with writing a resume. I'm going through a Transition Assistance class on base right now. They show you how to write a resume and the more successful ways to apply and interview for a job.

While I'm ready to get out of the AF and go home, I also can't help but be a little scared about this prospect. The last civilian job I worked was as a hardware store clerk back in high school.

Also when I get home, until I'm settled into a new career, I'll be the stereotypical millennial who is back to living with his parents.
View Quote

I'm doing it after 17.5 years,
And my wife and kids and I will have  to stay with my parents for a couple months until my disability and retirement oat get straightened out.

We just don't have the 4k ish to get moved into a rental right off the bat
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Use your GI Bill and get back in school
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds just fine to me.

The Guard will be a great supplement while you do the RR.   Stay Guard as long as you can.

Also, there's lots of railroaders on here as well:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1473960_Official_Railroad_Thread___Everything_You_Wanted_to_Know_About_Railroads_and_Railroading.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure how the oilfield is where you are moving to.   If its there and thriving check it out.  They love prior service.

Conoco at one point, might still, had a program solely for vets to train them as drillers.  Starting with great cash.  I'm sure others have similar as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

not sure yet, GI bill will pay for it, but there isn't a big demand for aircraft mechanics back there.

There is a big demand for CDL drivers and auto/diesel mechanics, the GI bill. Pay for the CDL cert and also for school to be am auto or diesel mechanic.

There also is demand for maintenance mechanics at various companies and warehouses.

Along with all of this I'm planning on applying to the Norfolk Southern railroad for a freight conductor position

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Norfolk Southern has some of the harshest work rules of any class 1 railroad. NS guys will get fired for some of the most minor "safety rule violations". It is also their policy that if you get hurt on the job it is almost always your fault, regardless of the circumstances.

One other thing to bear in mind: When you go for your interview, make sure that you get there early. When the NS interviewer says 8AM, don't show up at 8:01 or you'll find the door is locked. That happened to a guy I know. He got lost looking for the right building.  He had to re-apply, and it took 4 months before he could get another interview scheduled.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
we should find a time to grab some beers

welcome back
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I concur on the GI bill and school comment.  You earned it, so use it.  

Also you might want to look into what full time positions are available at the unit.  There are usually quite a few maintenance jobs that are full time.  

Good luck and I can honestly say that being in the ANG has been good to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#24]
A lot of dudes get the doldrums after leaving. If it happens to you, let us know and work through it.

Congrats and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of mechanics I work with at Delta came from PA with their licenses. It wouldn't hurt to get it especially is you don't plan on living there for the rest of your life.  I can understand if you wanted to stay in PA but if you change your mind aircraft maintenance will always be there when you need a job.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm on my way to getting my A&P now, I'll let you know how the career field looks in a few months...  I just wish the pay were better up here in New England.

Otherwise, I think you'll love to get out and be home.  I haven't been this happy and relaxed since I was 18.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Prepare to be disappointed by your hometown, they're never like you remember.

I've had a couple former mil A&Ps work for me as diesel techs, minus some personal bullshit they've been outstanding, no tech school required, I cannot say the same for ground vehicle techs. You might try your hand without getting a cert if you want to keep bending wrenches, not that I really recommend diesel/heavy equipment repair as a profession, or mechanicing at all, after a decade, I'm pretty well done with it, though if I was still on the floor I might not be quite as disgruntled.

Truck driving was enjoyable for me, dealing with trucking companies was not, though I understand I worked for one of the worst as a driver. If you want a home life unless you can find a good regional/local gig forget about it. If you're not already married you'll never have time to meet someone, if you are, it takes a special sort of spouse to handle the away time of OTR.

Good luck, thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
My friends who got out of the Military and moved back home after 4-10 years hated it since (for the most part) their parents treated them like they were still 17-18 years old.

Your 'civilian" life / work experinces are also at a high school graduate level, although that will change once you have a chance to settle in.

Remember that most people go through a couple  - few jobs before they find one that they are comfortable with.

Don't take a "certificate" class with the VA, once you get training, be it a 4 year degree crammed into three years or a 4 month "truck driving" certificate, that's it.

Rarely does the VA pay for another careeer path.

It's different if you are using your own educational benefits.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm on my way to getting my A&P now, I'll let you know how the career field looks in a few months...  I just wish the pay were better up here in New England.

Otherwise, I think you'll love to get out and be home.  I haven't been this happy and relaxed since I was 18.
View Quote

You must be willing to move with your A&P license.  There are a lot aviation jobs out there if you are willing to move to make some real money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Dumb question--currently I have a little under $20K saved up in savings and am debt free, no car payments, and zero credit card debt

sounds odd, but am I where I should be or should I have saved up more while I was?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dumb question--currently I have a little under $20K saved up in savings and am debt free, no car payments, and zero credit card debt

sounds odd, but am I where I should be or should I have saved up more while I was?
View Quote

Yes, you could have saved more but you are still in a much better place than most people your age.  I would say you are doing fine.  Keep saving and make sure you are working towards a second retirement/pension/TSP, etc
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, try and find a full time Guard position.  

Either as a technician (civilian pay but act like .mil) or as AGR (full time guard).

Basically you'll be doing the same thing you are now but at home.

And don't be surprised if it is super disappointing.  I was so excited and quickly realized it was not the home of my childhood.  I had outgrown it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good luck!  

When my middle son came to live with us during a career transition, the first thing he said when he showed up was that he wouldn't be staying long.

In the end, it wasn't long . . .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Go to school. If college isn't your thing go to a trade school.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#36]
don't go home, follow opportunity
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#37]
My Son just joined the National Guard at 17. He will get his first year in as a Senior in High School. Then the next 4 he will get his college paid 100%. Then he will go active duty until he retires. He plans to teach history after that. If he wants to move back home at that time he will be most welcome.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
lol

Quoted:
Prepare to get loved tenderly...by your mom insisting on making you meals and washing your clothes since she hasn't been able to take care of her baby boy for the past 10 years
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

don't go home, follow opportunity
View Quote
This is great advise.
And the support that the military offers for transitioning is good.  Learn to write a good resume.
Don't limit yourself to going back home.  Since you are in aviation look for jobs all over the U.S.
And, if I were to meet myself now, when I was serving, I would have told myself to finish 20.  If you have to go home, get in school right away, and treat it like a job.  Keep yourself enrolled over summer and winter breaks.  Get as many simple certifications as you can. Like EMT and MOS.  Silly certs help pad your resume, and you can make some side money while in school.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#40]
First'  don't be to judgmental with the new civilians in your life, things on the civilian side don't work the same as in ther service, look at your GI bill, and find somebody who knows how to cut red tape, welcome back and have a great time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
we should find a time to grab some beers

welcome back
View Quote

I'm always down for beers
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a buddy working for Keystone Helicopter out of Coatesville, he just wasn't from around there and hated the area.  Loved the job.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Beamy, I sent you a PM this morning about it, but wanted to give you a heads up here.  Check out the links on CDL training if you decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had a buddy working for Keystone Helicopter out of Coatesville, he just wasn't from around there and hated the area.  Loved the job.

Good luck!
View Quote

Did not know Sikorsky had something in Coatesville

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm retiring so here's some advice:

Follow through on ten years ANG or Reserves at a minimum. It's a nice cushion at age sixty, and drill pay can help during those ten years.
See how to get an AGR position if you want to work there full time. Every unit is different.
Find a hospital within a commute that has an aeromedical operation. You can wrench on helicopters and transition to program management or even flying if you're so inclined, though that takes a lot of work.
If you want money, you'll have to move. But, if you're happy at home and can make enough to survive with family nearby, try it. You can always follow the cash after trying PA.
Use every asset available to help write resumes, etc.
Go to the VA.
Open a gunshop if there isn't a good one in your town.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm retiring so here's some advice:

Follow through on ten years ANG or Reserves at a minimum. It's a nice cushion at age sixty, and drill pay can help during those ten years.
See how to get an AGR position if you want to work there full time. Every unit is different.
Find a hospital within a commute that has an aeromedical operation. You can wrench on helicopters and transition to program management or even flying if you're so inclined, though that takes a lot of work.
If you want money, you'll have to move. But, if you're happy at home and can make enough to survive with family nearby, try it. You can always follow the cash after trying PA.
Use every asset available to help write resumes, etc.
Go to the VA.
Open a gunshop if there isn't a good one in your town.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice, as to the gun shop my Grandfather already owns a really good one back home. Not sure if he needs any more full time or even part time employees though
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Thanks for the info

Welcome, hope it helps.  I hear it's mostly prior service guys working there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#48]
If you want to get your cdl DO not use  The GI bill and waste it on that.  

If you want a CDL pm me I can help you there.  With little to no cost.  And in a very short time.

Pm Me if you want plus I am not far from you.  straight east about 3 inches on the map LOL.  

Jaime
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for your service!!

Re-adjusting will be difficult for a few months.  That will be normal.  

Looking for a job is like dating.  Job hunting experience is the best teacher.  Apply for everything/anything that you're interested.  Make lots of phone calls, and be nice.  

Look in the newspaper.  Attend local Toastmaster, Kiwanis, Knights of Columbus, or other clubs.  When you start meeting people, tell them exactly what you posted here: that you're glad to be back home after ten years, looking to reconnect with your hometown community.  And also mention that you're also looking for a job, of course.  

Get some cheap business cards with your name, address & phone number on them:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Bump
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top