User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 3:08:18 AM EDT
Went to Home Depot today and got:
* 21 sheets of 4 x 12 x 5/8 fire code drywall
* 3  sheets of 4 x 8 x 5/8 fire code drywall
* 20 sheets of 4 x 10 x 5/8 fire code drywall
* 6 sheets of 4 x 8 x 23/32 plywood
* 2 sheets of 4 x 8 x 19/32 plywood

According to Home Depot's weight specs that is well over 4,000 lbs., and I unloaded it myself.

Why? Because I'm 57 years old and was wondering if I'm the same stubborn a**hole that I've always been. Hell yes I am, and proud of it! It might feel like a bad idea tomorrow, but damn it feels good tonight. I did more work in one day than BHO has done in his whole pathetic life. Of course that is setting the bar extremely low.

A big salute to you guys who do it every day!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
When you wake up in the morning and need an amberlamps, I'll be there OP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a few squats and pretended not to stare at the sexy young gym girls.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Spoken like a mans man OP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you wake up in the morning and need an amberlamps, I'll be there OP.
View Quote

I'm predicting I will laugh at the idea of medical attention even if I am paralyzed from the neck down!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Kids now a days are lame, I was texting my lawyer while getting a tooth pulled, he said, 'get percocets' I told my dentist and we both laughed, he struggles to get me to use the novacaine
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#6]
We have a bad ass here.
Let us know how you feel tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I did about the same thing three months ago in two loads.
In addition I unloaded them, then dragged them through a side entry door across
a winder landing and down a staircase to my basement were they were hung solo.

I declined assistance from the stores help because I didn't want my goods
or truck damaged. In exchange Now seem to have a sciatic issue for the
First time in my life. I believe I aggravated an old lower back injury from over thirty years
Ago that was never a bother since it's healing.

Stubborn ass fifty something here too

iPad posting sux
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you do the 10 and 12 footers taped together still?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
keep it up --- youll look like your avatar soon
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Excuse me sir, we're going to need you to post the actual dimensions for our readers in California.

Thank you for your compliance.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excuse me sir, we're going to need you to post the actual dimensions for our readers in California.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you do the 10 and 12 footers taped together still?
View Quote

Hell no!!!!

BTW, I used a Gorilla Gripper. It is by no means the ultimate answer to carrying panels but it's damn good. Doesn't make carrying panels easy but it makes it easier and can easily be the difference between impossible and difficult.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#15]
5/8" drywall is heavy as shit when taped together.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

BTW, every sheet of plywood had that California BS about containing chemicals that will cause cancer, make your balls fall off, and your rectum turn inside out, stamped all over it. Do the boneheads running California think everyone should live in a recycled cardboard box or what?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BTW, every sheet of plywood had that California BS about containing chemicals that will cause cancer, make your balls fall off, and your rectum turn inside out, stamped all over it. Do the boneheads running California think everyone should live in a recycled cardboard box or what?
View Quote

We can only hope.

Usually we can't get anybody at depot to help us do shit.

I think I spent 20 minutes one day trying to buy 20ft of 10ga wire.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#18]
After over exerting like that I take 2 or 3 ibuprofen, it will prevent you from getting sore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We can only hope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can only hope.

It varies a lot depending on the store and how busy they are but I've had very similar experiences. I did spend a ridiculous amount of time in one Home Depot getting 5 ft. of 18 ga stranded wire to use for a hanging light fixture ground recently. On the other hand it often seems like I can't walk 10 ft. in a Home Depot without an employee asking me if they can help me find anything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We have a bad ass here.
View Quote

It's tomorrow and I feel about the same as I normally do, only stiffer and more sore. Alleve is my friend today. That disqualifies me from being a badass but that's ok--I'm still a stubborn a**hole and that's good enough.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

First time in my life. I believe I aggravated an old lower back injury from over thirty years

iPad posting sux
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And ask if you had been drinking a Red Bull at the time?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Good on you
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you unload it all at once in one big gravity storm or one sheet at a time like a bitch?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#25]
OP are you remodeling your mom's basement?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost. LOL

Mom is elderly and legally blind from macular degeneration. She needs a lot of light to be able to see anything. The garage and utility room have dark wood paneling (think 1970s and 1980s to visualize). I'm replacing the paneling with drywall and am doing the ceilings also and will be painting them white so they will be reflective. I have already installed t5 fluorescent lighting, which is hellaciously bright.

Yes, even though I am married, I live with my Mom and yes, I would definitely live in the basement if she had one. I'm not sure I would remodel it, though.

I proudly proclaim myself to be a 57 year old loser who lives with his mom, but unlike most losers who live with their mom, I actually have a job.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you unload it all at once in one big gravity storm or one sheet at a time like a bitch?
View Quote

Like a bitch, one heavy-assed sheet at a time. It took hours and the last 10 sheets of 12 foot drywall sucked severely. To my credit, though, I did not whine or give up--just got the job done.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Like a bitch, one heavy-assed sheet at a time. It took hours and the last 10 sheets of 12 foot drywall sucked severely. To my credit, though, I did not whine or give up--just got the job done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good for you/

I am early sixties and do the same, only with the taped sheetrock, I cut the tape after the first few doubles.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

iPad posting sux
View Quote

You guys crack me up
Try unloading 100 or more sheets of 12 ft 1/2 inch thick, wide board by the bundle by yourself and tote 4 50 lb buckets of ready mixed (at once, two in each hand) up stairs and slippery muddy walkboards.
The life of a sheetrock man is a hard one and at 35 my body was worn slap out. Now I have a blown out knee and an unrepaired hernia at my belly button for bragging rights.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's tomorrow and I feel about the same as I normally do, only stiffer and more sore. Alleve is my friend today. That disqualifies me from being a badass but that's ok--I'm still a stubborn a**hole and that's good enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have a bad ass here.

So...you're 'Rocked out?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Ill be waiting for the thread where you suddenly are unable to move for the next 3 days. GL op
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#33]
OP: Typical "Legend In His Own Mind".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I carried 3 gallons of paint up a set of stairs in one trip today. I've done my part!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Don't worry,  it only gives you cancer if you're IN California.   Anywhere else, you're gtg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After over exerting like that I take 2 or 3 ibuprofen, it will prevent you from getting sore.
View Quote

Repeat every 6 hours
Not sure if is as good for everyone but the stuff is like magic pills for me

15 Years ago I had open heart surgery on a Friday morning and around about Saturday night I told the nurse I would try going without the percoset of oxywhatever they were feeding me like candy . They told me I would be sorry and I asked if I could have Ibuprofen and they laughed.

I was waiting on the Dr to sign me out Tuesday morning
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]

here's to your Mom, and you taking care of her, now get to work you loser

Quoted:

Almost. LOL

Mom is elderly and legally blind from macular degeneration. She needs a lot of light to be able to see anything. The garage and utility room have dark wood paneling (think 1970s and 1980s to visualize). I'm replacing the paneling with drywall and am doing the ceilings also and will be painting them white so they will be reflective. I have already installed t5 fluorescent lighting, which is hellaciously bright.

Yes, even though I am married, I live with my Mom and yes, I would definitely live in the basement if she had one. I'm not sure I would remodel it, though.

I proudly proclaim myself to be a 57 year old loser who lives with his mom, but unlike most losers who live with their mom, I actually have a job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost. LOL

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You guys crack me up
Try unloading 100 or more sheets of 12 ft 1/2 inch thick, wide board by the bundle by yourself and tote 4 50 lb buckets of ready mixed (at once, two in each hand) up stairs and slippery muddy walkboards.
The life of a sheetrock man is a hard one and at 35 my body was worn slap out. Now I have a blown out knee and an unrepaired hernia at my belly button for bragging rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iPad posting sux

You guys crack me up

Did that and much much more (such as shuttling several hundred sheets up gutted out elevator shafts between temporary landings in hotel renos , stocking block for masons running fire partitions and duct shafts, etc) for extra spare change as a piece worker in the evenings after framing houses for eight hours. Had the good sense to become a super by the time I was thirty before I did wear my ass slap out and feel like a complete cripple in my fifties. I saw those guys and didn't wan to be one ......fell your pain though brother......just not as much as you do

eta: I truly did enjoy the pump and burn and sense of achievment each day busting my ass day in and day out as a a young man gave me.....no regrets here
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP: Typical "Legend In His Own Mind".
View Quote

Yep. I make no claim to be anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top