Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 2:37:00 AM EDT
I mean all they do is destroy shit dumping water breaking windows what a waste.

The angus has been peppered.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Aww. Let me guess, you went to medic school being told it would get you a fire job guaranteed and now that you have it and tested you couldn't get past the video. It's alright scro, AMR is always hiring.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aww. Let me guess, you went to medic school being told it would get you a fire job guaranteed and now that you have it and tested you couldn't get past the video. It's alright scro, AMR is always hiring.
View Quote

you hit the nail on the head
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]

<--- Air Force Fire Protection Journeyman, and NOT an EMT.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real question is why are there FF/EMT P's in systems where the FD does not transport.

Lots of money flushed down the tube in redundancies, not to mention the loss of proficiency when not dealing with patients start to finish.

Then the other question most often asked by the patients and patients families "Why is the fire engine here". Usually couldn't come up with a good answer for that one.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The real question is why are there FF/EMT P's in systems where the FD does not transport.

Lots of money flushed down the tube in redundancies, not to mention the loss of proficiency when not dealing with patients start to finish.

Then the other question most often asked by the patients and patients families "Why is the fire engine here". Usually couldn't come up with a good answer for that one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2 for places where they want everyone to be emt-p (even so they have contracted ALS transport) and most FF/EMT-Ps rarely get a chance to even practice their skills due to the ambulance company getting on scene at the same time (or before) fire and taking over from there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I'm not lifting that fat fuck stuck inbetween the tub and toilet by myself with whatever 120lb female EMT they decide to saddle me with when I pick up extra shifts on my days off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Tucson Fire is all EMT, many are Paramedics and can transport depending on the situation.  Other depts. around here can also.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

x2 for places where they want everyone to be emt-p (even so they have contracted ALS transport) and most FF/EMT-Ps rarely get a chance to even practice their skills due to the ambulance company getting on scene at the same time (or before) fire and taking over from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are looking to dump privates here in a big way and go straight up fire transport instead of the 50/50 they do right now. It is causing much butthurt with AMR.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because I'm not lifting that fat fuck stuck inbetween the tub and toilet by myself with whatever 120lb female EMT they decide to saddle me with when I pick up extra shifts on my days off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then call for some assistance.

As a tax payer I'm very tired of watching a 4 man truck crew leave the station with lights on for a medical which has about an 80% change of not needing anything but a ride to the ER. Around here it's about $1000 per truck response.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I think all firefighters (besides maybe woodland) and cops should at least have be an EMT Basic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#11]
In SECT most of our buses are run by FF/EMT FD staff, both paid and volunteer depending on the town. If we need medics we get intercept medics from the local hospitals.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are looking to dump privates here in a big way and go straight up fire transport instead of the 50/50 they do right now. It is causing much butthurt with AMR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the pay and benefit differences between public and private please explain how that could possibly be cheaper for the patient or the tax payers.

They tried the same thing in Salem and it cost double.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Because smoke-eaters best eaters. Don't be jelly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As a tax payer I'm very tired of watching a 4 man truck crew leave the station with lights on for a medical which has about an 80% change of not needing anything but a ride to the ER. Around here it's about $1000 per truck response.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who, with no offense intended, doesn't understand the process, you opinion is moot.

Engines are not rolled out for every call. There are 4 levels of call, at least in every system I've worked in. Alpha to Delta. Alphas and Bravos you'll get a rescue to show. These calls are the bullshit calls we get, stubbed a toe, legal holds, etc. Charlies and Deltas especially will warrant a engine and rescue because these are the calls where we know extra hands will be needed. It could be anything from an extrication to a full blown code. The dispatch grade the calls when they receive them and will allocate resources accordingly.

People are not always honest when calling either. Grandma and grandpa may mean well but are forgetful or stubborn. I would rather have the extra hands and not need them, then need them and not have them. People are only charged for what they use. You take an ambulance ride, you pay for the ambulance ride. Having the engine show up doesn't change a thing for billing or for the guys on it as they are getting paid either way. Would you rather have them there, god forbid you or your family needs them? Or would you rather have them collect a check sitting on their asses watching the game?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Considering the pay and benefit differences between public and private please explain how that could possibly be cheaper for the patient or the tax payers.

They tried the same thing in Salem and it cost double.
View Quote

The fire guys are going to be there either way, so now they are just mandating they transport instead of pass them along to the private rigs, on top of that AMR has been less than compliant with their contract obligations over the last few years. Lots of shady dealings and competition buy outs. Ridding themselves of the contract as is and sub letting overflow calls to other smaller companies is more cost effective for the county. Stripping this contract is also allowing the county to have a tighter leash on the privates who do run the overflow calls. If they aren't meeting obligations they are fined, if the fines arent working they are dumped for someone else, "contracts" be damned. It's increasing continuity of care by a lot and the cost is a wash.

Edit in red.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Because not all of us are stuck in a city responding to medial calls.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fire engine is there so they actually have a call load to justify their existence.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the fuck are you finding 120lb female EMTs?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because not all of us are stuck in a city responding to medial calls.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/Fire/a2f3becc29dcb3d2b6ae8dc98f3da525.jpg
View Quote

Boom headshot
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Two different jobs

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Because I like breaking windows and cutting holes in roofs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Firefighter without EMT is a dying entity in many paid departments, and eventually FF/EMT will be too.  With the improvement in building codes and fire suppression systems, the number of house and building fires are on a decline, which equates to less funding.  Taking over EMS is a great way to supplement a budget.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Two different jobs
View Quote

Around here, wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#24]
We transport. The systems where the FD may or may not transport confuse me.

Around here, if you want to be a FF, you better be willing to get your P card.

Also, fighting fire is a lot more complicated than 'destroy shit dumping water breaking windows'
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Because some people, like me, are really good at putting out fires but not so good at blood and guts. If I liked blood and guts I would have become a doctor and made a lot more money. As it is I'm in charge of all medical and fire emergencies aboard my vessel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Firefighter without EMT is a dying entity in many paid departments, and eventually FF/EMT will be too.  With the improvement in building codes and fire suppression systems, the number of house and building fires are on a decline, which equates to less funding.  Taking over EMS is a great way to supplement a budget.
View Quote

IN populated areas, yes. But in places like Kansas, where most towns are covered by volunteer FD's and county EMS services, that will never happen.

All the paid departments in my area, which is a whopping TWO, require EMT jto even get considered for fire. THen you have to get your P within three years or lose your job, and the FD doesn't pay for it.

THe County EMS will pretty much not even look at you unless your are an AEMT or Paramedic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Where I live the nearest fire house is 11 miles away and has a two man crew. The next 25 miles away and has  4 men. Far as I know they're all dual qualified and severely under manned . Doesn't make me sleep well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IN populated areas, yes. But in places like Kansas, where most towns are covered by volunteer FD's and county EMS services, that will never happen.

All the paid departments in my area, which is a whopping TWO, require EMT jto even get considered for fire. THen you have to get your P within three years or lose your job, and the FD doesn't pay for it.

THe County EMS will pretty much not even look at you unless your are an AEMT or Paramedic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The fire engine is there so they actually have a call load to justify their existence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly why FDNY took over NYC-EMS....To justify their enormous budget in the face of a declining fire load and impending firehouse closures....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that's all we do....walking around all day, wasting water and breaking shit.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's it, post of the day!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Volunteers.

I'm a volunteer.... But, whatever
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the side effects of high unemployment has been an abundance of people becomming volunteer FFs and EMTs. In my area Most fire chiefs wont hire a new firefighter without an EMT cert now, and that's becomming more prevalent with police too. Personally I think it's great.

Being a medic is a very noble thing, I've seen them do some amazing things on the side of the road. Unfortunately a good portion of the work involves hoisting fat people out from underneath furniture and frequent flier junkies with needles still hanging out of their arms. And poo. There's always poo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#35]
All firefighters here are EMT-B at a minimum. Hell, even dispatchers are EMT-B.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some body didn't pass firefighter 1. By the way I am a firefighter and I don't ride on the band aid box.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

The ME here likes sending cute little females to try to wrangle dead bodies.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

Many fucks to you to my friend.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#39]

My department only sends the Engine on medical calls that are severe like a choking, CPR in progress or similar.  We never get an Engine for chest pain, allergic reaction, seizure or other less severe calls.  I work for a department that is run on a shoe string and a prayer and we do not have enough man power to run the Engine unless it is truly needed.  

As far as spraying water and breaking stuff, okay I guess we can forget about haz-mat, high angle rescue, confined space and the myriad other things that are the responsibility of the fire department.  

By the way, I love volunteers as they are trying to help their community so I won't rag on them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
View Quote

You post a lot of stupid shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I was always grateful when the big red truck (actually yellow where I worked) showed up when we got toned out.

Just getting a 400lb whale strapped into the stair chair could be sporty, never mind getting them down from the third floor
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pay for me to go to medic school.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
View Quote

Said like a true union hack.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

Why would you say that

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

If you've experienced what I have over the past 2 decades you'd understand.

Drunks showing up on medical calls, guys running into fires without gear because they forgot it at the firehouse, a fire chief that refused to land a helicopter at an accident scene because he wasn't consulted first on whether the patient needed one, guys causing accidents because they felt that their blue light allowed them to run a couple off the road.  I saw a crew start CPR on someone talking to them.  My list goes on forever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

Paid guys are usually ok.  The union hacks often call volunteers scabs, and all kinds of other shit.  The only reason my area got past it was by letting paid guys get extra retirement credit for joining an area vfd. Eventually that lead to the city dept training us,  and we're now a combo dept,  trained to the same level as them.  They make 60kish a year,  we make minimum wage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Drunks showing up on medical calls, guys running into fires without gear because they forgot it at the firehouse, a fire chief that refused to land a helicopter at an accident scene because he wasn't consulted first on whether the patient needed one, guys causing accidents because they felt that their blue light allowed them to run a couple off the road.  A saw a crew start CPR on someone talking to them.  My list goes on forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

Drunks showing up on medical calls, guys running into fires without gear because they forgot it at the firehouse, a fire chief that refused to land a helicopter at an accident scene because he wasn't consulted first on whether the patient needed one, guys causing accidents because they felt that their blue light allowed them to run a couple off the road.  A saw a crew start CPR on someone talking to them.  My list goes on forever.

Yet you've chosen to do nothing?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Wilderness fire stations need more firefighter & less paramedic.

I know of one county that had Deputy Sheriff paramedics.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Volunteers.

I'm not union, I'm a  man that watched the volunteers chase a paid ambulance service out of town so they could have all the interfacility transports for themselves, but then couldn't produce a crew over 50% of the time for patients that needed critical care from larger hospitals.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Because of my localities requirement for pretty much all ff to also be emt is the reason Im not a ff. I just want to break shit and put out a fire not have to respond at 3am because some fat lady has some knee pains.

Instead I think I'll be a good cop that doesn't trample your rights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top