BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I stopped when I read about acquired immunity being passed down in the genetic code.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Malthus was an Anglican minister in the late 1700s and early 1800s. We can ignore everything you wrote safely.

I stopped when I read about acquired immunity being passed down in the genetic code.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/10/4/l_104_05.html

They don't have many of them. They are actively searching for people but it's been very difficult.

The people who would carry it would have been some the original carriers of the disease back in the day. The genoese.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Malthus was an Anglican minister in the late 1700s and early 1800s. We can ignore everything you wrote safely.

First you guys bash Malthus, now Lamark.  Who's next, Hahnemann?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weak. I stuck it out through the whole post.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]

This shit is not going to end, is it?

It's going to be an Ebola news cycle peppered with ISS terrorist activity.  ...fuck.  I wonder what individual freedoms are on the slate to get rid of?  People will line up in droves to turn their money and freedom over to other people who work in government.  All to protect them from a virus that isn't even as lethal as the common flu.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They don't have many of them. They are actively searching for people but it's been very difficult.

The people who would carry it would have been some the original carriers of the disease back in the day. The genoese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am aware of that.  It is a pre existing gene that provides partial/full immunity.  Your genetics are not altered by your immune response.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am aware of that.  It is a pre existing gene that provides partial/full immunity.  Your genetics are not altered by your immune response.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's why I said "original carriers". The Genoese had contact with it before mainstream Europe. That's how it spread. Not all of them had it though so that's why it's been so hard to find these people.

They pulled records and were able to find that there civilization had contact with it years before. Why they don't try and get Mongol blood samples is a mystery to me. It would probably be a lot easier too find with them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the link?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
we did this already

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1676258_Updated___33_weeks___if_1_infected_ebola_person_infects_2_others_every_7_days_how_long_do_we_have_.html

We have anywhere from ballpark 33 weeks to 100 weeks roughly before humans are mostly wiped out on this planet , given current situation. ballpark,rough numbers mind you.  
View Quote

Thank God. Here is hoping for 33 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
They made a movie about it in 1995. Yes. Ebola.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Calm down, people.  This is the result of the WHO going back and adding in missing case records, since Liberia hasn't bothered to submit complete numbers for several weeks now.

This is just a more accurate count, not a massive one-week increase in cases.  It's more accurate than last week's numbers, but it still probably only represents half of the real total.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[SNIP]
One other thing, I realize that the Plague was bacterial and Ebola is a virus, having said that the ORIGINAL plague would still be very hard to treat today even with anti biotics. It's a gram bacteria and lacks a cell wall it's very effective at what it does.
[SNIP]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost 100 years dead on since the last world-changing plague.
It's almost like someone is a little tired of humanity's bullshit...

[SNIP]
One other thing, I realize that the Plague was bacterial and Ebola is a virus, having said that the ORIGINAL plague would still be very hard to treat today even with anti biotics. It's a gram bacteria and lacks a cell wall it's very effective at what it does.
[SNIP]

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
In for Information Control's ignorant mockery.

ETA:  Oh, too late.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This shit is not going to end, is it?

It's going to be an Ebola news cycle peppered with ISS terrorist activity.  ...fuck.  I wonder what individual freedoms are on the slate to get rid of?  People will line up in droves to turn their money and freedom over to other people who work in government.  All to protect them from a virus that isn't even as lethal contagious as the common flu.    
View Quote

Edited for clarity.  It's actually more lethal but less contagious.

The funny thing is Obama is not using this situation to increase his power/control.  Maybe he doesn't want the Dems to look bad for the midterms?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=16687

LMGTFY

Sorry... CWD bacteria.. My mistake
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or that first world nations are run by morans.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Brb. I'm gonna see what Nostradamus said about this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
A short quarantine would burn it out in no time at all. Which is what should have happened in the first place. Just like with all the ebola out breaks in the past.

Seems like a good place to put this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8yLFAvNHQ
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Familiar: ?
View Quote

Yeah, must be a troll. There's no ebola.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

originally, yes. this strain is a sneaky bastard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But from everything I've read here, it kills to fast to spread....
originally, yes. this strain is a sneaky bastard.

People are spreading too fast. In the past it was in isolated villages. Now people are practically being encouraged to come to the US for "help".  

The sneaky bastard is in the white house.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wrote a paper on this once. There is a book called "The great Mortality" by John Kelly. It's very good and talks about how the plague spread in Europe and it's original origins.

Hint: it doesn't originate in rats.

There was a man named Malthus. Now Malthus isn't very well known because he wasn't any kind of genius, just a guy with common sense, like many like minded individuals on this forum. (not trolling or joking)

Malthus stated that nature/world balances itself, he was kind of half philosopher half statistician. His premise came to be known as a "Malthusian Mechanism". Basically after long rainy seasons, rodent or other mammal, populations would explode due to higher nutrition and lack of malnourishment.

When this happens everything stays good for a year or two then a sickness will come through and wipe out the populations. It's mother natures way of keeping things in check. Well the same thing happened in Europe. One of the trends that has been recorded too is that some people will be able to stave off the sickness longer than others. It's just genetics.

This allows the sickness to spread to others. It also ensures that SOME of the host(s) will become immune and their genetic code will pass on too future generations.(People who caught the plague and survived passed on a special genetic code that allows them to be HIV carriers but not develop AIDS)

After years of over crowding, poor health and nothing to keep the population in check the plague came through like a wildfire and killed almost 2/3 of Europe. What a lot of people don't know though is that the ORIGINAL plague that swept through Europe was not the bubonic. It was a much simpler form that had an incubation rate of about 2 days and killed within a week. Very nasty stuff. Then the bubonic came and finished what it's nasty cousin started.

Now what you'll never hear said is that a lot of the people killed from it were genetically defective. 100 years prior to the plague Europe had suffered terrible droughts and the generations that came after had weak immune systems and other diseases.

Edit: Oh there is some hope though. The plague is what helped the renaissance come about. As Europeans died many realized that the local Church/Theocracy wasn't as powerful as they made themselves look. Many abandoned their post and left their people too die. This spurred individual thinking and questions about self preservation. If something like this happened maybe people would wake up and realize the world isn't all peaches and cream and that you can't rely on a man in a suit too make all the decisions for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wrote a paper on this once. There is a book called "The great Mortality" by John Kelly. It's very good and talks about how the plague spread in Europe and it's original origins.

Hint: it doesn't originate in rats.

There was a man named Malthus. Now Malthus isn't very well known because he wasn't any kind of genius, just a guy with common sense, like many like minded individuals on this forum. (not trolling or joking)

Malthus stated that nature/world balances itself, he was kind of half philosopher half statistician. His premise came to be known as a "Malthusian Mechanism". Basically after long rainy seasons, rodent or other mammal, populations would explode due to higher nutrition and lack of malnourishment.

When this happens everything stays good for a year or two then a sickness will come through and wipe out the populations. It's mother natures way of keeping things in check. Well the same thing happened in Europe. One of the trends that has been recorded too is that some people will be able to stave off the sickness longer than others. It's just genetics.

This allows the sickness to spread to others. It also ensures that SOME of the host(s) will become immune and their genetic code will pass on too future generations.(People who caught the plague and survived passed on a special genetic code that allows them to be HIV carriers but not develop AIDS)

After years of over crowding, poor health and nothing to keep the population in check the plague came through like a wildfire and killed almost 2/3 of Europe. What a lot of people don't know though is that the ORIGINAL plague that swept through Europe was not the bubonic. It was a much simpler form that had an incubation rate of about 2 days and killed within a week. Very nasty stuff. Then the bubonic came and finished what it's nasty cousin started.

Now what you'll never hear said is that a lot of the people killed from it were genetically defective. 100 years prior to the plague Europe had suffered terrible droughts and the generations that came after had weak immune systems and other diseases.

Edit: Oh there is some hope though. The plague is what helped the renaissance come about. As Europeans died many realized that the local Church/Theocracy wasn't as powerful as they made themselves look. Many abandoned their post and left their people too die. This spurred individual thinking and questions about self preservation. If something like this happened maybe people would wake up and realize the world isn't all peaches and cream and that you can't rely on a man in a suit too make all the decisions for you.

Actually the organism that causes the plague is pretty easily treated. And people still get it.

There is a theory that the original strain was worse. I think the sanitation problem contributed the most. People really are filthy beasts, especially when they congregate in cities. Then you have the pneumonic form, which was even more deadly.

This whole shitstorm could have been controlled from the beginning. Instead we are actively helping it along. WE ARE SENDING OUR SOLDERS OVER THERE TO "FIGHT" IT FOR CRIPES SAKE!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Familiar: ?

Um its a forum about ar's he's brand new with 3 posts and comes in gd to post about gd with the ever popular It Happening opener.

I'm no detective nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night but whatever floats your boat I guess. I could honestly give a flying Shit if he is or not but just seemed odd. But since he never replied to his own post that's now 2 pages I'm sure your right

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's truth in that. There are outliers in almost all diseases. I saw or read of a case where this one guy, I think he was a hemophiliac, could not get aids. It's like the virus did not recognize the receptors in his body.

I think I saw that on a show about the plague. There were some areas that were unaffected, the decendants of this area have some kind of genetic marker. I can't remember the details.

I'm looking forward to the renaissance though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Spread follows a geometric progression.  If each sick person infects 2 people on average, and the average incubation is 8 days, the numbers double almost every week.

Start with 5000 cases, and in a month you have 80,000.  In two months you have 1.2 million.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

bad enough drinking shitty water, but it gets real interesting when bodies are floating in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way in hell are they going to treat 14,000 people. This might end in the sick getting exterminated and cremated.

The Africans are dumping bodies into the rivers, and the pissed off relatives are retrieving their kin.  That'll work out okay.

bad enough drinking shitty water, but it gets real interesting when bodies are floating in it.

Sounds like the crocs will be well fed and could develop a taste for human flesh.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way in hell are they going to treat 14,000 people. This might end in the sick getting exterminated and cremated.

The Africans are dumping bodies into the rivers, and the pissed off relatives are retrieving their kin.  That'll work out okay.

Wait til this shit hits India, the Ganges is disgusting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I would be so comfortable hunkered down in my home for one or two months. Even if the grid crashed. I could finish those projects I started. I have lots of books to read. I could catch up on my sleep.

Have plenty of food, not worried there. Have plenty of drinking water. Plenty of ways to entertain myself.

And if everyone else was hunkered down (or dead) at least people would quit bothering me. All I need is the sammich maker and my doggies.

I wonder how many hunters would sneak out to the WMA'S for a chance to sit in the woods by themselves? Hmmmmm, I wonder if I would be amongst them. Driving would attract attention and I can't walk.

excuse me while I figure out this detail  I overlooked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

My great grandmother was killed by the 1918 flu epidemic
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Spanish Flu pandemic killed more people world wide in 18 months than the Black Plague did in ten years.

Ebola (in it's current form) is nothing in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bring out your dead
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
cue the Ron Paul "It's Happening!" GIF
View Quote

Close enough?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, OMG.

Someone posted a photo essay on the Ganges and the stone age nonsense millions of Indians practice daily.

I retched.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#37]
We should bring them all to the U.S. so they can get the all the latest and greatest medical treatments that Obamacare can afford.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, if this shit hits India.........

ETA BEET.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's Gaia isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Spanish Flu pandemic killed more people world wide in 18 months than the Black Plague did in ten years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

rumor has it the spanish flu is what really ended the first world war.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Spread follows a geometric progression.  If each sick person infects 2 people on average, and the average incubation is 8 days, the numbers double almost every week.

Start with 5000 cases, and in a month you have 80,000.  In two months you have 1.2 million.

View Quote

It's been more than 2 months and we haven't reached 25,000 cases...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Wait.....

Once again I was assured by many here that this wasn't going to happen.....

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
He was on the radio today saying that new cases were dropping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But Øbama made several speeches about it!  It should be cured.

I'm pretty sure that if he told the truth about something, it would be so shocking that it would get front page headlines and round-the-clock coverage on the TV news.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#46]
One thing I heard the "O" say that i agree with. "That we have to stop it there" But that is not easy when traditions cause the spread.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But Øbama made several speeches about it!  It should be cured.

Do you have a link for what he said?

If he said new cases were dropping, then he
(1) wasn't paying attention during his briefing
(2) didn't have a briefing, and just looked at some charts in the absence of an SME
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I was led to believe that Ebola was not a problem, and that I would most likely die from the flu this year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Please keep it in the OFFICIAL Ebola threads
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top