BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Simply based on the size of our own galaxy, not even the dwarf galaxy nearby, and the countless other galaxies..... I seriously doubt we are the only planet to result in life.

Just looking at the speed of light, the equivalent of two counties over haven't received our first radio transmissions. And there are areas in our galaxy that even with a perfect telescope watching light particles from ages ago wouldn't even see tool making. We really haven't been at a state anyone could call advanced for that long.

I hate when people open their mouths with definitive, and it is clear they have almost no information to base anything on.
View Quote
and more importantly or radio transmissions detectability falls off to the point of being indistinguishable from background radiation fairly quickly.  I'm not sure of the exact distance but it's something like 100 lightyears.  Anything beyond that wouldn't be able to detect us and we wouldn't be able to detect them.  At least not by radio.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nailed it. From the start of the universe to the start of mankind nobody has a clue what actually happened and we likely will never know.

A couple questions I would love answered, if the big bang actually happened, where exactly was the particle that exploded and how was it created/formed? And of the millions of different species on earth, why are humans the only ones that evolved to the point of having God-like power over all other species?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scientists seem to love making shit up instead just saying 'We don't know'.

Nailed it. From the start of the universe to the start of mankind nobody has a clue what actually happened and we likely will never know.

A couple questions I would love answered, if the big bang actually happened, where exactly was the particle that exploded and how was it created/formed? And of the millions of different species on earth, why are humans the only ones that evolved to the point of having God-like power over all other species?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a very weird feeling that he is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think God created such a large canvas for such a small painting.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

GD schizophrenia.

One side of their mouth:  "Life has to exist elsewhere in the universe!"

Other side of their mouth:  "UFOs aren't real!  There are no such things as aliens!"

Shit, nobody fucking knows the answer.  Some of the posters in GD are just as bad as the "scientist" in the OP.
View Quote
I don't see that as "GD schizophrenia".  To advocate that you think that "life" (As WE know it) may exist

thousands of light years away while calling into question the existence of "locals" (UFO's that visit our planet

without emitting radio waves that we can detect [Think SETI])?  Eh....

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
How the fuck would the author know that?  It's a gross overstatement of what is known about the universe to say he knows what processes happened in the whole universe or that the process that created our life is the only avenue to for it to begin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nailed
it. From the start of the universe to the start of mankind nobody has a
clue what actually happened and we likely will never know.

A
couple questions I would love answered, if the big bang actually
happened, where exactly was the particle that exploded and how was it
created/formed?
And of the millions of different species on earth, why
are humans the only ones that evolved to the point of having God-like
power over all other species?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nailed
it. From the start of the universe to the start of mankind nobody has a
clue what actually happened and we likely will never know.

A
couple questions I would love answered, if the big bang actually
happened, where exactly was the particle that exploded and how was it
created/formed?
And of the millions of different species on earth, why
are humans the only ones that evolved to the point of having God-like
power over all other species?

First let me explain what the big bang was because your question indicates that you don't actually know what it was.

The big bang was not an explosion of matter out into space.  It was an explosion of space itself.  The big bang happened everywhere in the universe... because the universe was what was the small point that exploded was. Look in any direction far enough and you see the big bang.

As for what caused it... there are several competing ideas.  No one idea has yet emerged as the most probable answer.  You and I are free to use what ever explanation we wish.  

My personal favorite is Membrane theory which emerged from String theory.  The word theory here should not be confused with the more authoritative scientific theory and is more rightly called a hypothesis... but for some reason theoretical physicists get to use the word more liberally than it ought.  But I digress.  In Membrane theory everything is about ripples... waves... on the membrane.  That's what our universe is and the big bang would be what started us rippling.  I like this idea because it fits with Christianity.  God spoke our universe into existence.  Sound is just pressure waves propagating through a medium.  Much like our universe and ourselves are just waves on the membrane.  What initiated those waves could be all sorts of things... I choose God.

There are other ideas.  Membranes colliding for one.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I tend to agree.

But in the end, no one (probably) knows (yet).
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The big bang was not an explosion of matter out into space.  It was an explosion of space itself.  The big bang happened everywhere in the universe... because the universe was what was the small point that exploded was. Look in any direction far enough and you see the big bang.

View Quote

i like your post, but i'll make one small addition--the big bang is still going on.  the universe that we see is the explosion.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

First let me explain what the big bang was because your question indicates that you don't actually know what it was.

As for what caused it... there are several competing ideas.  No one idea has yet emerged as the most probable answer.  You and I are free to use what ever explanation we wish.  

My personal favorite is Membrane theory which emerged from String theory.  The word theory here should not be confused with the more authoritative scientific theory and is more rightly called a hypothesis... but for some reason theoretical physicists get to use the word more liberally than it ought.  But I digress.  In Membrane theory everything is about ripples... waves... on the membrane.  That's what our universe is and the big bang would be what started us rippling.  I like this idea because it fits with Christianity.  God spoke our universe into existence.  Sound is just pressure waves propagating through a medium.  Much like our universe and ourselves are just waves on the membrane.  What initiated those waves could be all sorts of things... I choose God.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i like your post, but i'll make one small addition--the big bang is still going on.  the universe that we see is the explosion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer to think of it more as cosmic expansion.

Explosion or big bang makes people visualize something a kind to a Hollywood  special effect not as an expansion of the fabric of reality.

People tend to remove themselves and their immediate related surroundings and see the Universe as something outside of them.

The average person doesn't put together that it's everything around them, inside of them and part of them as well, that everything is connected.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty broad statement to make about a place with, oh, 300 billion places to possibly find things.

Same with the rest of the universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
'There is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us. We are unique.

Pretty broad statement to make about a place with, oh, 300 billion places to possibly find things.

Same with the rest of the universe.

There may have only ever been one but I can promise you it's not us
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I prefer to think of it more as cosmic expansion.

Explosion or big bang makes people visualize something a kind to a Hollywood  special effect not as an expansion of the fabric of reality.

People tend to remove themselves and their immediate related surroundings and see the Universe as something outside of them.

The average person doesn't put together that it's everything around them, inside of them and part of them as well, that everything is connected.
View Quote

So... heads actually WILL explode then...

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Bwahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

mmmmm brains,
I like the mix between the cyclic universe and the ekpyrotic scenario

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
   fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
   fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
   L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

We don't know the answer to any of these parts of the equation.  It's unsolvable right now.  Even if you take out fi, fc, and L and are only solving for planets with life period, we still don't have enough information to get an answer.

It's a neat equation but it's only usefulness is to formalize the question we are trying to answer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
What difference does it make?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

as expected, you didn't answer the question.  your assertion that "most scientific theory is just assumption" demonstrates a comical level of ignorance (beginning with what constitutes scientific theory).

me?  i'm just a humble grad student, but one who spends every day in the scientific literature.  been examining the discipline of science for about 8 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most scientific theory is just assumption that they cling to like religion.

lol.

and your personal experience in the science field is...?

What is your scientific experience?

Look at how competing theories are ignored if not outright ridiculed if they don't follow the traditional interpretation. How many "scientists" have been found to falsify data to support their conclusions? Look at the "Climate Change" zealots.

Scientists for years were absolutely sure that modern man was only 50,000 to 60,000 years old, and you were publicly mocked if you thought otherwise. Now it is accepted that modern man is 200,000 years old. And again, you are publicly ridiculed if you say that it could be even older.

There is a long history of scientists resisting any competing theories due to nothing more than ego. They are just human,

as expected, you didn't answer the question.  your assertion that "most scientific theory is just assumption" demonstrates a comical level of ignorance (beginning with what constitutes scientific theory).

me?  i'm just a humble grad student, but one who spends every day in the scientific literature.  been examining the discipline of science for about 8 years now.

What is your area of study?

I was speaking in the context of theoretical science, not in the context of something that can be tested and confirmed repeatedly. We are debating life on other planets not the speed of light. When dealing in this area of science there are no experiments that can prove a theory, it is all educated speculation. And in the context of "Climate Change" the data means different things depending on which side of the fence you are on. This same problem happens when you have scientists who cannot contemplate any other theory than the one they subscribe to.

As to my scientific credentials, I don't have any. I am just a well read geek, which, as a grad student, is all you are at this point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
   fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
   fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
   L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

We don't know the answer to any of these parts of the equation.  It's unsolvable right now.  Even if you take out fi, fc, and L and are only solving for planets with life period, we still don't have enough information to get an answer.

It's a neat equation but it's only usefulness is to formalize the question we are trying to answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Carl Sagan plugged in very pessimistic numbers into that equation in Cosmos and it still came out with lots of advanced civilizations.  With recent research on commonality of planets the numbers plugged in could be even less pessimistic.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#21]
He is right and base on sound science. We are the only organic life in the known universes.

1. It is mathematically impossible for nature to convert inorganic material to organic material. Even evolutionist will admit it if pressed.

2. The Universe is big. If there is life we would already detected it. Our galaxy contain between 200-400 starts and none of them show any sign of life. 500 billion galaxy in the known universe and none of them show any life or colonization. If there is only 1 ETI per galaxy, the known universe will have 500 billion ETI. Yet where are they? This paradox is calle Fermi Paradox. It also known as the great silence. It reinforce #1.

3. I don't believe in Big Bang Theory. It stupid, contain lots of paradox, contradiction, proven to be wrong. The theory even contradict itself. I believe in the static timeless infinity universe theory.

With that said, if the Big Bang Theory is true than there is no organic life before or after the big bang.

The real question is where did the organic material came from. It's not from nature. We are the only organic life in a dead inorganic Universe. What we should be doing is spreading life organic life throughout the and not waste our resources trying to fine ETI

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As to my scientific credentials, I don't have any. I am just a well read geek, which, as a grad student, is all you are at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

based on your responses, you should start over, and read more carefully this time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He is right and base on sound science. We are the only organic life in the known universes.

1. It is mathematically impossible for nature to convert inorganic material to organic material. Even evolutionist will admit it if pressed.

2. The Universe is big. If there is life we would already detected it. Our galaxy contain between 200-400 starts and none of them show any sign of life. 500 billion galaxy in the known universe and none of them show any life or colonization. If there is only 1 ETI per galaxy, the known universe will have 500 billion ETI. Yet where are they? This paradox is calle Fermi Paradox. It also known as the great silence. It reinforce #1.

3. I don't believe in Big Bang Theory. It stupid, contain lots of paradox, contradiction, proven to be wrong. The theory even contradict itself. I believe in the static timeless infinity universe theory.

With that said, if the Big Bang Theory is true than there is no organic life before or after the big bang.

The real question is where did the organic material came from. It's not from nature. We are the only organic life in a dead inorganic Universe. What we should be doing is spreading life organic life throughout the and not waste our resources trying to fine ETI
View Quote

WTF do you think we are made of?  The same elements everything else is, the only difference is the organization.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

based on your responses, you should start over, and read more carefully this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then feel free to educate me, so far all you have done is disagree. If it makes you sleep at night I will rephrase my statement:

Most theoretical scientific theory is just educated assumption that they cling to like religion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

WTF do you think we are made of?  The same elements everything else is, the only difference is the organization.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He thinks a creator being magically shat us into existence
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

guess you slept through miller urey in bio 101
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't people believe in a creator but look at science as showing us how the brush of God works instead of fighting tooth and nail to force ancient parables down our throats?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me can we make a rock into a hamburger? No we can't. The amount of energy and combination make that impossible. Nature science can't do it. This is proven mathematically and scientific that even the grate evolutionist defender Richard Dawkins admit it in video and in his book. If you do not believe me do your own research on the matter.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We don't know if we are alone, we don't know if the universe is teeming with life. We have absolutely no factual basis to lean in either direction, making the only honest answer 'We don't know'.
View Quote

I said the same thing a while back and was decried as being retarded and that scientist don't do that...

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Carl Sagan plugged in very pessimistic numbers into that equation in Cosmos and it still came out with lots of advanced civilizations.  With recent research on commonality of planets the numbers plugged in could be even less pessimistic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

fl, fi and fc could be extremely low.  Even with 2 useful planets per star, 400 billion stars per galaxy and 100 billion galaxies in the known universe the number of intelligent species could quickly approach 1.

If fl is .0000000000000001 and fi is .0000000000000001 the likelihood of another planet with sentient beings in the entire known universe is about zero.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why can't people believe in a creator but look at science as showing us how the brush of God works instead of fighting tooth and nail to force ancient parables down our throats?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is people are so brainwashed by bad science. Science is now use as propaganda and not finding truths.

Go check Brian Patrick book The Ten Commandments of Propaganda or you can watch the video below for a run down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7rjlbXk8UKNPPhLYpzuBLg/videos

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We don't know if we are alone, we don't know if the universe is teeming with life. We have absolutely no factual basis to lean in either direction, making the only honest answer 'We don't know'.
View Quote

indeed
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
lol

btw. Not new. See: Fermi paradox.
View Quote

Not just Fermi's paradox. Where's the petrified forest on Mars? Our lander's ought to rolling through it. Early Mars and early Earth were alike. There's evidence of liquid water.

So if life will sprout up given a few billion years and water, where is it?

Could be Drake is optimistic. Low probabilities connected by AND statements get really low really fast.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html?ito=social-facebook

That's pretty bold

The biological process which lead to intelligent life on earth was a fluke that is unlikely to have been repeated anywhere else in the universe, claims Professor Brian Cox.
The presenter and scientist blames a series of 'evolutionary bottlenecks' for the lack of extraterrestrial life on other planets, despite there being a mind-bogglingly vast number of them in the galaxy.

Humanity miraculously overcame them in a chance binding of two single cells merging somewhere in the mists of time, he said.

'There is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us. We are unique.
View Quote

View Quote

Uncounted stars, billions of galaxies, and billions of years, and he thinks there is no chance for life elsewhere.  His thoughts run in a very narrow path.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's a bold claim considering how large the universe is.
View Quote

One mathematical formula based on nothing but probability says there should be something around 550,000,000 life supporting planets in the Milky Way alone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
One mathematical formula based on nothing but probability says there should be something around 550,000,000 life supporting planets in the Milky Way alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even with 550 million planets capable of supporting life, if only one in a billion life capable planets actually has an abiogenesis event there would only be 1 planet in the milky way with life.

An abiogenesis event mixed with the likelihood that life doesn't quickly die off (or is killed off by an asteroid or other event) and combined with a low probability of that life evolving to sentience could easily make us the only sentient beings in our galaxy.

We really don't know those numbers, and dealing with any universe that isn't infinite they can quickly lead to a universe with very little life - especially sentient life that exists during the same periods of time.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There are some contemporary Quantum Theories that suggest something similar to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This life is just a computer simulation

There are some contemporary Quantum Theories that suggest something similar to that.

Yeah it's also physical constants that popped into existence after the big bang. How come they settled into just these values. This is a really weird universe. It makes people suspicious.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was only busting your balls, for all we know you could be right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Even with 550 million planets capable of supporting life, if only one in a billion life capable planets actually has an abiogenesis event there would only be 1 planet in the milky way with life.

An abiogenesis event mixed with the likelihood that life doesn't quickly die off (or is killed off by an asteroid or other event) and combined with a low probability of that life evolving to sentience could easily make us the only sentient beings in our galaxy.

We really don't know those numbers, and dealing with any universe that isn't infinite they can quickly lead to a universe with very little life - especially sentient life that exists during the same periods of time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That also assumes nothing spreads life once it starts.  In billions of years one planet with life could spread along way. (Meteors/comets/planetary impacts/etc.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tell me can we make a rock into a hamburger? No we can't. The amount of energy and combination make that impossible. Nature science can't do it. This is proven mathematically and scientific that even the grate evolutionist defender Richard Dawkins admit it in video and in his book. If you do not believe me do your own research on the matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is almost imposible for our brains to understand the power and scale of nature. The earth can squeeze coal into a diamond, a black hole's gravity can capture light. And there are things out there we can't even imagine yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you have to ask the question "Where are they?" Professor Enrico Fermi asked the same question 60 years ago, "Where are they?". We can now see planets across distant Galaxies. Not one galaxies have been colonized. Not one planet show any life in a universe filled with countless stars.  

It doesn't matter if a planet can support organic life. I'm sure there are countless of them out there. The problem is nature cannot convert inorganic material to organic. It is impossible.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It is almost imposible for our brains to understand the power and scale of nature. The earth can squeeze coal into a diamond, a black hole's gravity can capture light. And there are things out there we can't even imagine yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are so brainwashed that you can't see the truth. If anyone don't believe what I wrote. Go do your own research and fine the answers.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ooh, interesting concept.

Would the archangels be God's Delta team?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if more than one god exists...and they are at war..
Ooh, interesting concept.

Would the archangels be God's Delta team?

Archangels are nukes.
Angels are delta/special ops.
When we die we are the grunts/cannon fodder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That also assumes nothing spreads life once it starts.  In billions of years one planet with life could spread along way. (Meteors/comets/planetary impacts/etc.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While an intersolar spread of life might not be extremely rare, the likelihood of spreading life via comets, meteors and planetary impacts between stars is going to be extremely low due to the distances involved.  A meteor, comet or planetary impact is far more likely to destroy most advanced life on a planet than spread it.

I'm not saying humans are the only sentient beings in existence, I'm just saying their is a good possibility we are the only ones alive at the moment.  Several key variables could have an extremely low likelihood that overcomes the massive number of useful planets in existence.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#45]
When a scientist, or someone who calls himself one, makes a declarative and absolute statement about something yet unknown or talked about (either for or against), I have to chuckle because it's the absolute WORST science possible.

Hey, dickwad, I'm just a guy who works in a print shop, but even I display a better scientific discipline in declaring things to be one way or another without evidence to support the shit coming out of my mouth.

I hate people like this....no better than a Sunday morning televangelist.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

and more importantly or radio transmissions detectability falls off to the point of being indistinguishable from background radiation fairly quickly.  I'm not sure of the exact distance but it's something like 100 lightyears.  Anything beyond that wouldn't be able to detect us and we wouldn't be able to detect them.  At least not by radio.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Simply based on the size of our own galaxy, not even the dwarf galaxy nearby, and the countless other galaxies..... I seriously doubt we are the only planet to result in life.

Just looking at the speed of light, the equivalent of two counties over haven't received our first radio transmissions. And there are areas in our galaxy that even with a perfect telescope watching light particles from ages ago wouldn't even see tool making. We really haven't been at a state anyone could call advanced for that long.

I hate when people open their mouths with definitive, and it is clear they have almost no information to base anything on.

I seem to remember reading that most artificial radio transmissions are overpowered by the background radiation around 1 or 2 light-years away.  They barely leave the solar system.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Then feel free to educate me, so far all you have done is disagree. If it makes you sleep at night I will rephrase my statement:

Most theoretical scientific theory is just educated assumption that they cling to like religion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

begin by learning what the term "theory" means in science, and how it is different than the everyday usage of the word.  this should have been covered in your freshman-level core science classes--i covered it on day 1 for my earth science and geology lab students.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Not just Fermi's paradox. Where's the petrified forest on Mars? Our lander's ought to rolling through it. Early Mars and early Earth were alike. There's evidence of liquid water.

Could be Drake is optimistic. Low probabilities connected by AND statements get really low really fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

btw. Not new. See: Fermi paradox.

Mars is much different than the earth and always was.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For all we know, the universe is infinite.  We just can't see any farther than the age of the universe in light-years.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What a fucking moron.
View Quote

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top