Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2014 1:37:04 AM EDT
Are there really rattlesnakes in AFG? My understanding is that rattlers are in the Americas only. Y

Yet in Lone Survivor, they talk about and show rattlesnakes.

Is this legit, or bullshit?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure it was bullshit, but I could be wrong
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Bull, but there are Cobras and rat snakes in that part of the world
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
i have not see any snakes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Never seen any, but man did I see some weird looking bugs
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
They should have had the SEALs throw rattlesnakes at the Taliban with closeup shots like the Irish kid getting bit on the face in Lonesome Dove.

All things considered,that wasn't one of the movie's most glaring inaccuracies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in that area six years after Red Wings, and I never saw a snake. Big fucking monitor lizards, spiders, and camel spiders was it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't think so. They just sent out a photo of a cobra found on base though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
So Hollywood just makes this shit up without doing any research? In the film they mentioned someone getting bit by a rattlesnake and then during the time the SEAL Team was in the hills, they showed a rattlesnake.

ETA: Why would I be surprised?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't see the movie, but I read the book. A lot of that didn't pass the smell test, either. Anyone else get that feeling?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Movies are always going to sensationalize things.
No matter what the books, what the tech advisers or the people that were there say.

They are looking at things from the point of view of the average movie goer.
Most of whom couldn't even tell you who the VP of this country is.

So I just overlook things like this or what pistol they have and try to enjoy the movie.

If I nitpick then I feel I just wasted my money and ruined the experience.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
British forces confronted by killer snakes in Afghanistan

Among the species captured at Our Boys and Girls' Kandahar base was a rare diadem that has never before been seen in the wartorn country.

Another find to thrill the experts was a sawscaled viper - one of the deadliest on earth.
View Quote

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/361234/British-forces-confronted-by-killer-snakes-in-Afghanistan

Venomous Snakes in AFG

http://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/HIOShoppingCart/Uploads/DownloadableProds/261_Afghan%20Snake%20Poster.pdf
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Among the species captured at Our Boys and Girls' Kandahar base was a rare diadem that has never before been seen in the wartorn country.

Another find to thrill the experts was a sawscaled viper - one of the deadliest on earth.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/361234/British-forces-confronted-by-killer-snakes-in-Afghanistan

Venomous Snakes in AFG

http://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/HIOShoppingCart/Uploads/DownloadableProds/261_Afghan%20Snake%20Poster.pdf

Sure but finding a rattlesnake in Afghanistan would be like finding a wild penguin in Utah. They simply do not live there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure but finding a rattlesnake in Afghanistan would be like finding a wild penguin in Utah. They simply do not live there.

View Quote

Pretty sure there is no such thing as a rattler in AFG but there are the world's most dangerous snakes there and they have Zero anti-venom for their bites.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Venomous Snakes in AFG

The Sawscaled viper makes a "rattle-snake" like sound when it's threatened.

I can see how just saying "rattle snake" for the sake of telling people to be careful is somewhat more economical than saying "a venomous sawcaled viper that makes a sound similar to that of rattle snakes..."

I don't see it as a discrepancy in the movie but rather a way that some one would describe a snake with a similar MO as the American rattle snake.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe it was easier to just say rattlesnake than to explain to the audience what a sawscaled viper is?

You say "rattlesnake" and everyone reading/watching gets an immediate image of what you are talking about.

Say "sawscaled viper" and they get a vague image of some snake with no relation to size or danger.
Not being a smart ass, just something I thought it could be...

ETA:  Beat...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I didn't see the movie, but I read the book. A lot of that didn't pass the smell test, either. Anyone else get that feeling?
View Quote
My impression, too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
American audience doesn't know what the hell a viper is, but we know Rattlesnakes.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe it was easier to just say rattlesnake than to explain to the audience what a sawscaled viper is?

You say "rattlesnake" and everyone reading/watching gets an immediate image of what you are talking about.

Say "sawscaled viper" and they get a vague image of some snake with no relation to size or danger.

Not being a smart ass, just something I thought it could be...

ETA:  Beat...
View Quote

Or you could just call it a snake and leave it at that or never show the thing because it was hardly important. Compared to utter BS like the SEAL pulling a Beretta on an Army aviator it was small potatoes though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
If they had just showed a cobra, they would have been OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top