Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2014 12:08:58 AM EDT
I'm especially curious if you have been a driver.  How much money do you make?

It might be a fun little side job for extra money.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally know a guy that is a driver in Tulsa, OK.

He makes about $250 on a weekday and up to $500 on Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a frequent customer. I have used Uber in three countries.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
My doctor friend in NYC swears by it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I know a driver in Seattle who makes about the same.

To be a driver, you need a pretty new car.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm curious too. I've used it as a passenger. Didn't want to ask the driver how much he makes.
I started with it because someone told me its cheaper. It's not. It's the same price as a regular taxi in nyc.
Easy peasy though. I'll never hail another cab in my life.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I Use it every time I go on business. Cheap, fast, good service. Awesome app.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I used it as a service earlier this year in Chicago.  The first route I "booked" when we arrived at the train station (you can't reserve anything in advance, only at the moment you need it), and after waiting for the time quoted in the app (about 10 minutes) the driver cancelled right when he was supposed to be showing up.  We took a cab instead.

Attempt number two was a success, the driver actually showed up this time and was excellent in communicating his ETA with phone calls and not just through the app. We were leaving a crowded museum on a weekend and he made finding and getting to his clean Ford Expedition easy and convenient.  It was a nice ride with professional and courteous service.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes one driver a better experience than another?  What do you rate or judge a driver by?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a frequent customer. I have used Uber in three countries.
View Quote

This. In a major urban area like LA/NYC, it's great. I used it in Perth, Australia and there was one driver on the map, but he was in a Mercedes so it was a pleasant ride.

Here's why I like it:
It's comparable to a cab in terms of price, but always cleaner except for the strangely-clean Orlando taxis.
Black car service is handy with groups, or just to get somewhere comfortably.
Every ride I've had has been in a late-model car, and the one old beater was driven by a really nice guy.

What makes a difference in drivers is a clean car, a bottle of water, grabbing luggage, and picking up on social cues of whether it's time to talk or let your ride have some silence.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My doctor friend in NYC swears by it.
View Quote

And look where that got him.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I visited my brother in Nashville, and we used it to go downtown.  It was wild that some normal person would come pick you up in a plain old car and take you places.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used Lyft a couple times...  quick pick up and decently priced.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
How are these not considered non-medallion taxi's, and why are they allowed? I'd rather have someone that is licensed to perform said function, than some guy with a car that matches their requirements. I've only used taxi's in Germany, and other European countries. I guess I don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How are these not considered non-medallion taxi's, and why are they allowed? I'd rather have someone that is licensed to perform said function, than some guy with a car that matches their requirements. I've only used taxi's in Germany, and other European countries. I guess I don't get it.
View Quote

A few cities who want to protect the cab monopoly have banned Uber.

I am a licensed driver.  What more qualifications do I need to give someone else a ride?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I used it one morning to go get my car after having been too drunk to drive and finding an alternate way home the night before.

App was easy to use (Uber), it was cool to watch the little car drive up to me on the map. Picked me up in my driveway and took me right where I needed to go. No muss, no fuss. Prepaid on my credit card.

The driver said he liked doing it. My city is known for bars and restaurants, and it isn't very big, so I'd bet you could do pretty well driving people to and from on the weekends. You could get another fare pretty quickly.

I'd use it wherever  I was over a cab.   I don't mind hailing a cruising cab, but at least around here, calling for one and waiting for it is a crapshoot at best, and a lot of the cabbies (and cabs) are gross and/or smell like pot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I've only used the black service, expeditions or suburbans, it's been awesome every time. Used it in the twin cities and Houston. The black service is like on demand limo service, basically takes the planning out of transport.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am a licensed driver.  What more qualifications do I need to give someone else a ride?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You've gotta give the King his cut. Duh.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taxi drivers are checked for a clean criminal & driving history. They are also required to be properly insured. They also have special training, and certification. It's going to be the end of uber and lyft, when one of their drivers commits a sexual offense on a passenger, or kidnaps someone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Taxi drivers are checked for a clean criminal & driving history. They are also required to be properly insured. They also have special training, and certification. It's going to be the end of uber and lyft, when one of their drivers commits a sexual offense on a passenger, or kidnaps someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uber drivers all must pass background and DMV checks.  Uber has some commercial insurance, but I'm not certain how that works.  I'd like to talk to an Uber driver about that.  As for training, well again.  I have a drivers license.  How much training do you need to pick someone up and drop them off?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I used it once after arriving in town at 2AM on a weeknight.  Pushed the button and had a nice clean cab within 3 minutes flat.  It beat the hell out of the "licensed" cab that passed by asking if I needed a ride in his jacked up minivan driven by a toothless old guy.

Would use again, would recommend to others.

Quoted:

View Quote

Lulz, no, it's not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or we could... you know let the market decide.  Uber and Lyft are doing pretty well, and Taxi drivers are buggy whip makers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or we could... you know let the market decide.  Uber and Lyft are doing pretty well, and Taxi drivers are buggy whip makers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better analogy would be the union auto workers in the 70s crying in their beer about Japanese competition and their better manufacturing methods.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be the only game In town. My dad does it mostly for fun and a little side money on the weekend. There are tons of other uber drivers in the popular areas of town he can literally pick them out and see other people get passengers while he doesn't on top of the reg cabs. Not much you can do about that. He avg to about 15-20hr including down time some days better than others of course but ymmv.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Driver here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Seems like a good way to pick up chicks for rapey fun time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What makes one driver a better experience than another?  What do you rate or judge a driver by?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends in the type - Uber or UberX. When I was in Seattle, most of the drivers were limo drivers. Very professional. Most were non-native English speaking. In Tampa, most if the rides I used were UberX - different class of drivers. Experience is in a word, more interesting and engaging. Most of these guys have other jobs - and we often talk about other shit they do. The ride itself can vary from car to car. With UberX, I'm riding Hondas and the likes. Not as good as a limo ride, but better than a cab ride.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiiight. Whatever helps you sleep at night...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lololololol
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't the guy that kidnapped the college student in VA a few months ago a taxi driver?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#30]
It kicks ass.

Death to the government controlled taxi monopoly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where? Its racist discrimination to deny anyone the constitutionally protected right to be a cab driver after a kidnapping and rape conviction.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#32]
How are Uber drivers getting around business license requirements, etc?

It seems like if local governments wanted to crack down, then they could use all kind of nasty little tricks to do so.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Driver here.
View Quote

How do you get paid?

Do you split the monte with Uber?

I'm seeing some complaints online that Uber drivers don't like the pay arrangement, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Driver here.
View Quote

I have never used it or heard of it but after reading this thread it sounds like a cool idea.

Question for you though since you're a drive, are you required to tell them what kind of insurance you have in order to be a driver?  I guess I'd on;y be concerned that I would be getting a ride and the driver has an at fault wreck and I'm injured and he has no insurance to cover it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#35]
It's gotten me home safely after many a night of drinking
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#36]
lol, NO.  We drive Bro trucks here
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where in the constitution that protects a small class of people with a job?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#38]
In Kansas City uber began working with the city on developing a permitting process before the first ride even.

Insurance while online and on a ride comes from uber in the form of a 1
Million dollar likability policy with uninsured motorist coverage and no fault medical if required.

My vehicle is covered up to 50k for damage from a wreck or comp loss with 1000 deductible as long as I have comp and coll on my car.

We are pre screened with a basic background check mvr check and we provide copies of our DL ins and registration.

We also have cars inspected in person or provide photos. We also give a current photo of ourselves.

I earn enough to pay for a 2011 Volvo s80 sedan and then some each month.

They have cut rates trying to kill lyft is my guess.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#39]
In the last one of these threads I said I want to be a driver but then updated with the numbers after all taxes and fees and said it wasn't worth it. Now I've been looking at Uber XL which pays more with a minivan.

However I would like to know how often people would use that service versus uber x. The last thing I want is to be sitting around for hours in between calls.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I use it all of the time
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In the last one of these threads I said I want to be a driver but then updated with the numbers after all taxes and fees and said it wasn't worth it. Now I've been looking at Uber XL which pays more with a minivan.

However I would like to know how often people would use that service versus uber x. The last thing I want is to be sitting around for hours in between calls.

View Quote

Not often. I used it a few times - but only when I'm with a group of 5 or more. Can't remember how much extra I had to pay though as it was billed through my corporate card.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not "giving someone else a ride" you are engaging in commerce, and subject to legitimate regulation should the government deem it necessary.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I have family and friends that use it. They say it's 50% cheaper than a cab. They love it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the info.  I have an upcoming trip and just signed up and got it set up on my android phone.  All ready to go.  Will try to post some feedback on the experience if I don't end up buried in some swamp.  :)
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you even competition bro?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Free market, how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Free market, how does it work?
View Quote

Reality, how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're not "giving someone else a ride" you are engaging in commerce, and subject to legitimate regulation should the government deem it necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your days as the elementary school hall monitor have left an indelible mark on you. Between your "you just *can't* DO that!" comments and your "outstanding police work" as an apartment security guard you seem to have really taken that ball and run with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I see your days as the elementary school hall monitor have left an indelible mark on you. Between your "you just *can't* DO that!" comments and your "outstanding police work" as an apartment security guard you seem to have really taken that ball and run with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awww.... somebody has hurt feelings.

Get over it, pumpkin.  Or move to Somalia with all the other "you're not the boss of me!" retreads.  

eta: Show us on the bear where the bad people touched you

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, snap!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top