Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:13:32 PM EDT
Ever since my dad got an F350 and started working on it,  I've wanted one for my own.

A couple weeks ago I got a GREAT deal on an '05 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long bed 4x4.  The interior and exterior are in excellent condition.  I felt like I stole it for $5500.00!

Now for the bad news.  The reason it was so cheap is, one of the lifters broke, sending roller berings down into the bottom of the oil pan and wrecking the cam.  

The engine still runs, but only on 7 cylinders.  I'll be pulling the engine and going through it piece by piece fixing what is broke and upgrading it with studs, a stage 1 cam, upgraded turbo and other things.

Now on to the build!  

Here it is, sitting in the back of our shop.

Here is the engine stand I'll be using.  I made it from two harbor freight 1000 lb engine stands welded together.  I had to cut off and re weld the uprights so that they were at right angles to the base and welded the caster mounts so that the stand could roll over the hoist legs.

Parts are starting to come off!  I'm taking lots of photos and keeping all the screws and bolts in individually labeled zip lock bags.  Dad's organizing the tools in this photo.

Getting the transmission lines separated from the radiator was a problem.  I couldn't find the right disconnect tool anywhere locally, so I had to modify one to somewhat make it work.  It took 2 hours to get the lines off, itwould have taken 2 minutes with the right tools.

After that, things speeded back up.

That's it for today.  I think I should have the engine out in another couple hours or so, then it's time to tear into the engine.

Oh and this is my first engine build, first time I took an engine out and first diesel too.  Figured I might as well jump right in with both feet!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that your personal shop or is it for your business?  I thought it was a hell of a home shop then I saw the barcodes on the shelf and though it might be some sort of business?

Oh, there's a car forum here too, might draw more interest there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad and I own a sandblasting company.  This is our sandblast shop.  The pallet racks were bought used and we haven't taken the bar codes off.

We like to work on our own stuff and would rather build something than buy it, so we have a pretty well set up shop.  Lots of tools, woodworking and metal fab equipment.

It's nice to have a place to work on whatever you want!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for interest. I do so many of those it's nice to see someone else do one.  Good price. I picked up a 2004 250 long bed crew lariat for 6,000 3 years ago and just put it back together. Got a 2003 and an 06 this year.        

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
6.0 Powerstroke: The glocks of diesel trucks.

For real though, good luck. The 05-07 Superduty's are my favorite 3/4 ton trucks looks-wise

(would have made a primo 6BT swap though)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You should do a Cummins swap!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You splitting the Trans off and leaving it in the truck or trying to pull it all out?

You already pull all electrical and other connections off the engine? Looks like more than a couple hours work yet...especially without a lift.

Did you get the real shop manuals from ford? Little details are very important.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
much taggerage
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Very awesome.

This is something I would love to do but wouldn't have the faintest idea how.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
agreed with the cummins swap. 5.9! Looking forward to a thread not full of dumbasses hopefully!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
How many miles on the truck?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
very cool.

I have a lot of fond memories of working on diesels with my old man too.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you made a good choice in buying that truck cheap and doing the engine swap/rebuild yourself.  Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
you have a forklift and are gonna use an engine hoist? The 6.0 Fords are kinda hit and miss, my boss has one that has 300k on it and it runs great. Good luck on the rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Not too late for the straight 6 smoker
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't the SOP for pulling the motor from a Super Duty to lift the cab off the frame?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't the SOP for pulling the motor from a Super Duty to lift the cab off the frame?
View Quote
No. Massive waste of time and high probability of damaging the interior. Plus if the customer sees it like that, you just married every squeak rattle or clunk that truck will ever make.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
you have a forklift and are gonna use an engine hoist? The 6.0 Fords are kinda hit and miss, my boss has one that has 300k on it and it runs great. Good luck on the rebuild.
View Quote

My brother has a 6.0 and works that thing like a DOG in his tree service business and he has had no problems with it.  Really surprised me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
F*cking Old Rebuilt Dodge!
Sorry, just popped in my head.
Looks like a cool project for you guys.
Have fun, keep us updated!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No. Massive waste of time and high probability of damaging the interior. Plus if the customer sees it like that, you just married every squeak rattle or clunk that truck will ever make.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I need 32k for my pain and suffering."
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a Texas truck
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Cleared my X2 tap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Parts are starting to come off! I'm taking lots of photos and keeping all the screws and bolts in individually labeled zip lock bags. Dad's organizing the tools in this photo.
Smart!
Sure will help later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm OCD enough that I'd spend an extra week cleaning the grease and rust off the frame. It would end up being a frame-off restoration. With a freshly powdercoated frame.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Would've been easier to buy a body lift and just pull the cab off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Votefromrooftops in the HTF will tell you different.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag, and good luck!

A 6.0 gave me AIDS once.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#27]
ost
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tag for interest. I do so many of those it's nice to see someone else do one.  Good price. I picked up a 2004 250 long bed crew lariat for 6,000 3 years ago and just put it back together. Got a 2003 and an 06 this year.          
View Quote

I might pm you on some pointers then, if you don't mind.  I think everything is going to be pretty straight forward, but it'd be good to have someone to bounce a few questions off of.

I'm posting over at powerstroke.org as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.destroked.com/

View Quote

Nah, don't have that much money to put into it right now.  I'll be bulletproof in this one though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You splitting the Trans off and leaving it in the truck or trying to pull it all out?

You already pull all electrical and other connections off the engine? Looks like more than a couple hours work yet...especially without a lift.

Did you get the real shop manuals from ford? Little details are very important.
View Quote

Yeah, I'll be unbolting the Trans and leaving it in.  I still have to pull some connections, the turbo, filter housing and intake before it's ready to come out.  The 2+ hours was just an estimate, might be a little conservative though.

I can get the ford manuals from the diesel mechanic I bought it from.  He works on these all the time and has all the manuals.  His wife wouldn't let him keep this one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many miles on the truck?
View Quote

212,000.  I've read that this can be a problem with some 6.0 engines.  I'll be going to a modified cam to get rid of the sharp ramp that leads to these lifter problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I've yanked and replaced a bunch of engines in my time, and the first thing I always did was REMOVE THE HOOD.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Do yourself a favor and drop a Duramax in that thing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I've done almost a dozen of these jobs...

1. replace the front cover. The metal damage that took out the oil pump also scarred the cover and it's critical for oil pressure (the cover comes with a pump and pressure valve already installed)
2. replace the oil cooler
3. You are not to remove the flange on the back of the crank. (I've done it without issue but the book says not to) so you have to pull the crank to pull the cam shaft
4. Make sure you put in upgraded rocker arm sets. You can tell if they are because the upgraded ones have an oiler hole in the tip
5. 85ftlbs and 3/4 of a turn on the head bolts. (or you can upgrade to a stud kit at this time)
6. Go ahead and rebuild the injector oil rails. The kit is only about 200 bucks to do this. well worth it.
7. I personally put in new injectors but it's up to you.
8. Prime the fawk out of the oil system. Fill the oil gallery from the oil cooler to the HP pump before assembly
9. There is a screen under the oil cooler. A new one comes with the cooler the old one will be holed.

It's a shame you are so far away. I've got a complete set of rocker arms kits and oil pump for that engine sitting on my work bench.

One final thought.... Those damn roller needles get into EVERYTHING. I strongly recommend having the block vatted to make sure it's absolutely free of the damned things.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've yanked and replaced a bunch of engines in my time, and the first thing I always did was REMOVE THE HOOD.
View Quote

Great point. A super duty good will knock you the f out. Hell maybe worse.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Why not do the trans also.
With 200k+ miles and you pulling the engine seems it would be worth the little extra work?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Any reason for not doing a cummins swap?

My buddy just swapped his 6.0 out for a 24 valve cummins and loves it
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Nah, don't have that much money to put into it right now.  I'll be bulletproof in this one though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.destroked.com/

By the time you repair that one plus bulletproof it you could well be on your way to a Cummins swap.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Teeners

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#45]
First camshaft job I did ran 10k when it was all said and done... You can almost buy a new motor for that!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Teeners  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Teeners  

If there was a mechanically injected version of a dmax I'd say go for it. It's a better motor, but integrating the dmax/allison can bus system into a Ford would suck. Swap in a cummins 12v and enjoy the rattle.

Or do the research, do it right and make the 6.0 the engine that ford never could.

I'd gut that block, pressure wash the empty and start over. I've seen Torrington bearings cause havoc in an allison, I can't imagine what needle bearings would do in an engine.

The r&r is the hard part, buy the seals, bolts and bearings and rebuild it right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've done almost a dozen of these jobs...

1. replace the front cover. The metal damage that took out the oil pump also scarred the cover and it's critical for oil pressure (the cover comes with a pump and pressure valve already installed)
2. replace the oil cooler
3. You are not to remove the flange on the back of the crank. (I've done it without issue but the book says not to) so you have to pull the crank to pull the cam shaft
4. Make sure you put in upgraded rocker arm sets. You can tell if they are because the upgraded ones have an oiler hole in the tip
5. 85ftlbs and 3/4 of a turn on the head bolts. (or you can upgrade to a stud kit at this time)
6. Go ahead and rebuild the injector oil rails. The kit is only about 200 bucks to do this. well worth it.
7. I personally put in new injectors but it's up to you.
8. Prime the fawk out of the oil system. Fill the oil gallery from the oil cooler to the HP pump before assembly
9. There is a screen under the oil cooler. A new one comes with the cooler the old one will be holed.

It's a shame you are so far away. I've got a complete set of rocker arms kits and oil pump for that engine sitting on my work bench.

One final thought.... Those damn roller needles get into EVERYTHING. I strongly recommend having the block vatted to make sure it's absolutely free of the damned things.
View Quote

This !! Then buy and install a B cummins and call it a day . The B is the best of the small engines by a mile
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag-a-lag-a-ding-dong
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know him personally. I'm also the owner of a Powerstroke specialty shop. ETA: he'a real good dude. I wish we had more gas drivability business so I could offer him a job.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top