Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
If government infringement upon or 2nd amendment rights were kicked off, for the most part, by the St. Valentine's massacre, then it seems Mr. Capone should bear some responsibility for the days we're living in.

As a reminder, the massacre occurred in 1929. The National Firearms Act took effect in 1934.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah, I'd rather blame the government.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If we can save just one life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The motor bandits of the early 30's bear more blame. Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, Floyd, Nelson, etc.  Chopped BAR's, sawed off shotguns, full auto 1911's and Thompsons quickly outgunned the police.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If government infringement upon or 2nd amendment rights were kicked off, for the most part, by the St. Valentine's massacre, then it seems Mr. Capone should bear some responsibility for the days we're living in.

As a reminder, the massacre occurred in 1929. The National Firearms Act took effect in 1934.

View Quote

I blame stupid people. If you can run in tons of illegal booze or drugs, you can bring in all the firearms you need.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Communist s actually. fear of them.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The motor bandits of the early 30's bear more blame. Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, Floyd, Nelson, etc.  Chopped BAR's, sawed off shotguns, full auto 1911's and Thompsons quickly outgunned the police.
View Quote

Wasn't Bonnie & Clyde's good stuff stolen from a Nat Guard armory? A hacksaw will get you all the sawed off shotguns and SBRs you want.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Communist s actually. fear of them.

View Quote

Ding Ding Ding...  We have winner.

Specifically the Bonus March  ( LINK to Bonus March )when large numbers of unemployed veterans march to Washington in the midst of the depression demanding early payment of a promised bonus due in 1945.

The .GOV was totally freaked out by the possibility that a Angry Army of Combat Experienced Vets (armed with modern weaponry) with little left to lose would storm the capital (They were afraid of a rerun of the Russian Revolution ...

MacArthur and Patton used Tanks and Gas (tear gas sever enough that one child died from the massive amounts) and troops with fixed bayonets to storm the Vets camp area and burn them out.

Gun Control is rarely about Crime, it is really about Political Party and Control of the Masses...   (Mao [multi million mass murdering bastard that he was] was Right about political power and the barrel of the gun!!)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Bonus Army

ETA:  12 seconds
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nah, most the Anti-Gun Laws can be traced back to the Jim Crows Laws after The Civil War-War Between the States- War of Northern Aggression..... Or whatever you want to call it.......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If you watch the original "Scarface" movie, there is an entire monologue urging public support for pending legislation against machine guns.

NFA was passed shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I kind of like to blame it on prohibition and the depression.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have also heard the theory that FDR needed an unpopular law to keep Treasury agents employed.  the end of prohibition meant there were a lot of Treasury agents going to be out of work, but if there was an unpopular tax tht people would try to ignore...

I would say it was part of everything mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nah, most the Anti-Gun Laws can be traced back to the Jim Crows Laws after The Civil War-War Between the States- War of Northern Aggression..... Or whatever you want to call it.......

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those were mostly state/local laws.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without them, would the Fed's been able to Pass Theirs?......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wasn't Bonnie & Clyde's good stuff stolen from a Nat Guard armory? A hacksaw will get you all the sawed off shotguns and SBRs you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. But in general, they were high profile examples of criminals suddenly out gunning the cops. Gangland violence was one thing, but these guys were shooting it out with small town cops in middle America. I think it served to scare the public and stigmatize those types of weapons. The libs didn't let the "crisis" go to waste.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
True. But in general, they were high profile examples of criminals suddenly out gunning the cops. Gangland violence was one thing, but these guys were shooting it out with small town cops in middle America. I think it served to scare the public and stigmatize those types of weapons. The libs didn't let the "crisis" go to waste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK, but I think the Conservatives were right there in Lock Step with the Libs on this.....Didn't even the NRA support the NFA Laws?.....  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
You can thank the government for passing the laws and the police for enforcing them.  Al Capone never legislated anything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IDK, but I think the Conservatives were right there in Lock Step with the Libs on this.....Didn't even the NRA support the NFA Laws?.....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they did.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/nra-supported-nfa34.htm
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
We can thank mindless drones that want to give up liberty for the illusion of safety and the tyrants willing to carry it out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]
social change through crisis management
been going on for a long time
like rust Communism never sleeps
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The corrupt Sullivan, and the Sullivan Act in 1911 in NY, started handgun permits in that State.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can thank the government for passing the laws and the police for enforcing them.  Al Capone never legislated anything.
View Quote

He owned alot of local politicians.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Machine guns are illegal because alcohol used to be illegal.

NFA should had gone away with prohabition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Racism actually.
Gun control in America has its roots in the Jim Crow laws of post civil war era. The NY Sullivan act of 19...02 or 11? I've forgotten...was aimed at immigrants, specifically Italians I've heard.

You can thank the high profile criminals of the 20's and 30's for the NFA, Assassins of the 60's (and the press sensationalism that acommpanied both eras) for GCA of 68.

Hysteria for the AWB of 1994, and more hysteria for the recent attempts at another AWB, and the state level ones.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know what is funny? Not a single one of them bought their weapons..They were stolen...

like Bonnie and Clyde, they stolen their Browning Automatic Rifles during a raid, from the National Guard Armory in Enid, Oklahoma on July 7, 1933

John Dillinger stole one of his many Thompsons during his escape from from a police station holding cell in Auburn, Indiana on Oct. 14, 1933,

Machine Gun Kelly, stolen Thompsons...

Baby Face Nelson?..Well I think you know were I am going with this..

Am I wrong?

If the NRA had backed the Miller case likely we would not have the trampling on our rights we suffer under today, and innocent noncriminal Americans languishing in dungeons. Unfortunately the NRA of the late 1930s was chiefly interested in "sporting" arms, not military. Further, machineguns, sawed-offs and such like had little public support. By 1942 the nation was distracted from issues of rights by the new war.

The Government may raise a revenue by excise and certain other taxes enumerated in the Constitution. Stuffs that are necessary or that promote the exercise of constitutional rights may be taxed. However, I strongly believe that they may not be taxed discriminatorily, that is, at a higher rate than other such articles. Firearms are commonly made of various materials. Such materials used in firearms may not constitutionally be taxed at a higher rate than the same materials generally. Taxed as manufactured items, firearms may not be taxed at higher rates than similar manufactured items (stamped, cast, milled, molded items).

What about "shall not be infringed" are politicians and bureaucrats unable to understand?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And even with NFA, it didn't also Down gangsters from acquiring MG's.

In the end, they were all jammed up on tax charges.  Not gun laws intended to stop them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well.... Shitcago.  Nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You know what is funny? Not a single one of them bought their weapons..They were stolen...

like Bonnie and Clyde, they stolen their Browning Automatic Rifles during a raid, from the National Guard Armory in Enid, Oklahoma on July 7, 1933

John Dillinger stole one of his many Thompsons during his escape from from a police station holding cell in Auburn, Indiana on Oct. 14, 1933,

Am I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I wrong?

Yes

Plenty of mob weapons were conversions or privately bought full autos.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
... no, most everything that's turned to shit in this country can be traced back to Democrats
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#30]

When Prohibition ended, FDR and his communist network needed something for the people who had been fighting alcohol to do.  So, we got the NFA 33 and the AFT.  Government keeping government employed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When Prohibition ended, FDR and his communist network needed something for the people who had been fighting alcohol to do.  So, we got the NFA 33 and the AFT.  Government keeping government employed.
View Quote

I didn't know that FDR started Action Figure Therapy.

That's so cool!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, its well established gun laws were about keeping black americans disarmed, the fear of communists dominated the 20's and 30's.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's so cool!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's so cool!

Phuc Woody Wilson, FDR, LBJ and everyone after him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they did support it, sadly..Luckly since the Cincinnati revolt we have free, save for time that fool Joaquin Jackson in the  90`s..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Prohibition was ending
Keeping government jobs
Etc

View Quote

Lawlaurz.

When the Volstead act was repealed it was replaced with new restrictive laws on the manufacturing, transportation, and sale of alcohol.  The prohibition agents had plenty to do handling the new liquor laws, not to mention hunting down untaxed stills in the Appalachians.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#36]
No, you can thank the progressive movement that brought us all kinds of awesome things like income tax.

If you go back and look at it you'll find the real bullshit used to motivate the anti-gun laws were concerns about anarchists/communists supposedly stockpiling weapons to overthrow the government.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

... no, most everything that's turned to shit in this country can be traced back to Democrats
View Quote
The Republicans don't get a Pass, just because some want to Blame everything on the Democrats.........

Both parties have passed plenty of anti-liberty Laws.........

The Great Ronald Reagan signed the Mulford Act into law in 1967.....

When He was the Governor of California...........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, you can thank the progressive movement that brought us all kinds of awesome things like income tax.

If you go back and look at it you'll find the real bullshit used to motivate the anti-gun laws were concerns about anarchists/communists supposedly stockpiling weapons to overthrow the government.

View Quote

The real heavy lifting to enable an income tax was done by the temperance movement, because it was a major piece of the puzzle to prohibition.  Prior to that alcohol manufacturers paid for the majority of the federal budget through excise taxes, with that replaced by an income tax it made prohibition possible.

But the idea was the same in either case, well meaning busy bodies who actually believed that if they made something illegal that they could make it go away.  Rarely does legislation make anything better, and it certainly doesn't when the laws passed are more restrictive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes some of it, as to the others I don't know probably got them by any means they could.  Lebman made some interesting stuff for some gangsters of that era.  I agree it makes zero sense thinking a career criminal is going to give a shit how long the barrel on his firearm is.

I blame media sensationalism and politicians.

How many of those motor bandits used silencers?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Republicans don't get a Pass, just because some want to Blame everything on the Democrats.........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your breath, the only thing GD knows about Reagan comes from his speeches, not what he did and didn't sign
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes some of it, as to the others I don't know probably got them by any means they could.  Lebman made some interesting stuff for some gangsters of that era.  I agree it makes zero sense thinking a career criminal is going to give a shit how long the barrel on his firearm is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lebman's 1911's had pistol grips on them. I always assumed that was the reason for that part of the NFA, but I could be wrong. That's a great point about silencers. Why caused them to be included?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Lebman's 1911's had pistol grips on them. I always assumed that was the reason for that part of the NFA, but I could be wrong. That's a great point about silencers. Why caused them to be included?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Movies?.....

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do local laws have to do with NFA, GCA, Hughes, or the ATF?  Texas has a ban on open carry of pistols dating back to reconstruction.  Did that enable the feds to pass a law banning open carry?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
No.  We can thank criminals in office, coward politicians, beta males, and retarded whore women.  Al Capone is a smoke-and-mirrors tool of the left, just like James Brady, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd say we can thank the naive busy bodies who passed prohibition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Movies?.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Movies?.....

There had only been mainstream movies with sound since 1929. How common was the use of silencers in that first 5 years of film with sound?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What do local laws have to do with NFA, GCA, Hughes, or the ATF?  Texas has a ban on open carry of pistols dating back to reconstruction.  Did that enable the feds to pass a law banning open carry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of Laws Start out as Local/ State Ones before they Spread to the Feds......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poachers were the reason silencers were tossed in the mix with the NFA of '34.....they were heavily used by illegal market hunters at the start of the great depression

They actually tried to add all handguns to it as well....

I think the interesting question is, if the NFA and GCA  were never passed......and what are now NFA items were as unregulated as BB guns, how long would it have taken for an outright/total ban to occur?......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistols with a forward vertical grip was ruled a no no by the ATF much later.  The ATF wasn't around back then. Makes zero sense as 1927A5's are still allowed to have them last I knew.

As for silencers, I don't know for sure but my guess is it was due to poaching game during the depression.

ETA :  pic of 1907 that can most likely trace it's ancestry to Lebman.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pistols with a forward vertical grip was ruled a no no by the ATF much later.  The ATF wasn't around back then. Makes zero sense as 1927A5's are still allowed to have them last I knew.

As for silencers, I don't know for sure but my guess is it was due to poaching game during the depression.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h224/Hardrada55/BillMorganCubanburpgun_zpsa83b4564.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h224/Hardrada55/BillMorganCubanburpgun_zpsa83b4564.jpg

I think the Thompson is allowed because it has an overall length of 26".

Awesome picture too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top