Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a pipe. I've never smoked a cigarette or cigar. Years ago a friend had a hookah though and we did that whole deal with all sorts of stuff from plain flavored tobacco right up to what amounted to smoked candy.

I don't know exactly why I want to try it, it just seems like something that may (or may not) be pleasant during some of my more reserved activities. Like while sitting in the duck blind before shooting light, or sitting by the campfire while camping, or during the occasional card game night once or twice a year with my friends.

Other than a cup or two of coffee each day I don't really have any vices or rituals.

So do you get hooked on nicotine with a pipe like you do with cigarettes (it's my understanding you don't inhale). I have no intention of doing it in the house, or even near the house, does the smell stink up your clothes real bad. What type of tobacco would you recommend for a beginner to try, keep in mind it's been almost 10 years since messing around with the hookah, and I'm not even sure if that stuff counts as tobacco.

Or should I just skip the whole deal and try meth or something?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I watched these guys' videos when I decided I wanted to try it:

Nicotine is addictive no matter how you imbibe it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
ARFCOM "the Humidor" forum.

Puff.com has a good pipe forum too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know there was a sub for it. I'll check it out.

On the nicotine thing, how bad is it?

I was hoping to just have it as an occasional ritual, maybe once or twice a week to wind down. Sort of like my morning coffee, I don't need the caffeine in the morning, but I enjoy the hot drink and 10 minutes to myself, especially early on cold mornings before the sun comes up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was hoping to just have it as an occasional ritual, maybe once or twice a week to wind down. Sort of like my morning coffee, I don't need the caffeine in the morning, but I enjoy the hot drink and 10 minutes to myself, especially early on cold mornings before the sun comes up.
View Quote

Dunno. I smoke cigarettes too and after spending about 20 minutes puffing on a pipe I don't "need" a cigarette for a couple hours afterward. So there's plenty of nicotine in there.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
figuring out how to pack the pipe is the hardest part. There is an art to it.

I pack the bottom of the bowl tighter than the top of the bowl. You'll want to get a pipe tool for this. The one I use cost me all of a dollar, It has a tamper, spoon and a pick. Use your thumb to get things started and then use the tamper as you pack, checking the airflow as you pack. Too tight, you won't get a good burn, too loose and your pipe will burn hot and won't be appealing. Pipe smoking is not a rushed event as you'll spend time tending the bowl. And don't worry, you will relight more than once.

Some of my more snooty pipe friends will not smoke a pipe more than once a day or use more than one type of tobacco in a given pipe.

I smoke a tobacco by the name of smooth ebony, a dark wet tobacco that produces a thick, smooth sweet smoke.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

figuring out how to pack the pipe is the hardest part. There is an art to it.

I pack the bottom of the bowl tighter than the top of the bowl. You'll want to get a pipe tool for this. The one I use cost me all of a dollar, It has a tamper, spoon and a pick. Use your thumb to get things started and then use the tamper as you pack, checking the airflow as you pack. Too tight, you won't get a good burn, too loose and your pipe will burn hot and won't be appealing. Pipe smoking is not a rushed event as you'll spend time tending the bowl. And don't worry, you will relight more than once.

Some of my more snooty pipe friends will not smoke a pipe more than once a day or use more than one type of tobacco in a given pipe.

I smoke a tobacco by the name of smooth ebony, a dark wet tobacco that produces a thick, smooth sweet smoke.
View Quote

My favorite is: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39934/mcclelland-craftsbury-collection-frog-on-the-bayou/

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
There are two different main types of tobacco, English and American. English tastes like shit but you'll figure that out. American can be all kinds of topping, flavors etc.

A good start:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to smoke a pipe. Loved it.

Search out a local smoke shop. Most are usually happy to show you the ropes.

Skip the pre  packaged backy and get some good fresh blends.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Missouri Meerschaum makes corncob pipes that are supposed to be pretty good smoking.

http://corncobpipe.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got me a savinelli trevi 602. She's beautiful. I bought nightcap and escudo to try. So far I like escudo much better but I think night cap gets higher marks. I didn't smoke anything before but like you wanted to try it. Your suppose to rest a pipe atleast a day or two to let them dry back out, and it takes maybe 10 smokes to break the pipe in. I smoke about once a week sometimes twice a week. No cravings or anything either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three Savinelli pipes. They are nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a cig smoker but at various points have smoked a pipe somewhat regularly.  It really is the best smoke you can get, even with run of the mill tobacco.  See other comments on it being a somewhat high maintenance smoke, but who cares when you are chilling.

Can't speak to addiction, there is plenty of nicotine for sure but some people can handle casual smoking and some can't.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Your thoughts about when you might enjoy it line up pretty well with my usage. I smoke a pipe occasionally, and have never gotten any sort of craving. I have gone as long as several months between pipes, and as short as multiple pipes in a day, but when I'm done I'm done -- no biggie. (Same thing for me with cigars, so maybe I just don't have a predisposition to addiction.)

My wife hasn't ever complained about the smell on my clothes. I think it helps that (IMO) almost any pipe tobacco smells way better than cigarettes.

Tobacco recommendations? I prefer aromatics -- Boswell's Berry Cobbler, Stanwell Melange, and Drew Estate Central Park Stroll. Smells good, mild taste and mild strength.

Probably your safest / least expensive route to try it is to get a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe. They're pretty forgiving, smoke fairly cool, and if you don't like it you can throw it out and only be out a few bucks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I intended on just getting the corn cob to try out, and maybe just a few small pouches to try out.

I see there are filters available, what exactly do they do, prevent ash from getting in your mouth?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Filters, much like tobacco type, tend to be a personal preference. There are different filter types, too, FWIW -- some pipes have balsa filters, the MM cobs come with a paper filter, etc. I have a friend or two who like filters, but most of my piping friends don't care for them. It really comes down to what works / tastes best for you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Ignore the filters, they're worthless and used mostly by europeans. A corncob is a good start and so is Dr. Grabow. Both you can buy at walgreens. I'm not too into flavored tobaccos, but there are so many choices out there you can go your whole life without trying them all. I'd check out youtube for proper technique.

And don't inhale. The nicotine is absorbed through your cheeks since it's alkaline and is too harsh to inhale. Cigarettes are acidic and need to be inhaled.

The nicotine is not addictive compared to cigarettes and dip. Ask me how I know :p. I can go months without a bowl and not have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I probably shouldn't be terribly concerned about the nicotine, but I am a bit since I have never really tried it.

I drink casual too though. I won't touch booze for months, or I might have one when we go out to dinner, but I can have 3 or 4 (or sometimes lots more) with my friends a few times a year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to buy online from these guys most of the time: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
the Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes are a cheap, quality pipe.
buy a few, try some different blends in them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I smoke irregularly and have a fair collection. Sometimes it can be several months between pipes and sometimes I smoke a couple a day. There is no nicotine addiction in my life. But you will find on the pipe forums guys who smoke 5 or 6 bowls a day...no doubt they are addicted.

Aromatics smell fantastic, but they are wicked on the tongue especially for someone new to the pipe. Try a Virginia tobacco as the smell is good though not like cotton candy or some such and the flavor is excellent but most importantly you will not be as likely to scald your tongue.

Stay away from anything with Latakia in it as it smells like shit and your wife will hate you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys, now I want to get fancy and lounge around with a pipe and perhaps a good bourbon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a very occasional pipe smoker. Missouri Meerschaum and Captain Black White is my go to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm a very occasional pipe smoker. Missouri Meerschaum and Captain Black White is my go to.
View Quote

If you enjoy Captain black there is nothing wrong with that, they are Virginia's I believe. However you should try out some of the wonderful varieties out there that you may have to order or go to a shop for. There is some great tobacco.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#24]
My neighbor had a pipe hanging out of his mouth 24/7 literally.  That is until he rotted out the top of his mouth

Op,  everything in moderation.  I can't casually use tobacco, so I don't use it at all.   <======= 9 year tobacco user
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Missouri Meerschaum makes corncob pipes that are supposed to be pretty good smoking.

View Quote

That is a great way to give it a try for 5-10 bucks.  The local shop sold me one, with a "pipe nail" (a cheap tamper/reamer combination), a pack of pipe cleaners and my selected tobacco.  I got 2 ounces of a Virginia blend and an aromatic to get started.

I now have a couple Italian pipes (as mentioned, you want to let them dry/rest between uses) and 4 jars of different tobacco.  I smoke it once every week or so, usually when relaxing on the porch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My neighbor had a pipe hanging out of his mouth 24/7 literally.  That is until he rotted out the top of his mouth

Op,  everything in moderation.  I can't casually use tobacco, so I don't use it at all.   <======= 9 year tobacco user
View Quote

Of course, I would like to look at it the same way I looked at pot in college.

Not something to be used constantly, but something to be used to enhance a relaxing moment. Maybe one or twice a week.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I could smoke a few times a week, or once every few months.  I never really felt addicted.  I also occasionally smoke a cigar.  I don't touch cigarettes though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
They are...but ONLY buy MMs (or American made cobs)...do NOT pipe a cob pipe from China.  Unlike you like cadmium in your tobacco smoke.

I have pipes that range in value from 5 dollars to 250 dollars.  The 5 dollar Missouri Meerschaum smokes just as good or better than many briars.  The key is learning how to pack a pipe properly which just take practice.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I intended on just getting the corn cob to try out, and maybe just a few small pouches to try out.

I see there are filters available, what exactly do they do, prevent ash from getting in your mouth?
View Quote

Missouri meerschaum has filter mouthpieces available should you want to try. the mouthpieces are less than $1, the filters are cheap, too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Missouri meerschaum has filter mouthpieces available should you want to try. the mouthpieces are less than $1, the filters are cheap, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I smoke Missouri Meerschaums. The filters aren't necessary. Once in a while I'll get a little flake of tobacco in my mouth, just spit it out.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
So I'm looking at some of these kits to make your own pipe, and thinking about getting a predrilled chunk of ebauchon or similar cheap wood to make my own pipe. There are a few kits out there for about $30 or so, and it comes with a stem. All you really need to do is finish it. Anyone have any experience with these? Recommend one?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good pipes.

I like to smoke Lane 1Q.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_SHtEtK3mw

View Quote
funny as hell

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Huh?  So you want to take up smoking?  A real life Einstein.  How stupid are you?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I could smoke a few times a week, or once every few months.  I never really felt addicted.  I also occasionally smoke a cigar.  I don't touch cigarettes though.
View Quote

+1

Been doing pipes and cigars for about 20 years.  I could walk away from both of them in 30 seconds if the heat's coming around the corner, and not miss them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
I smoke a pipe (or now e-cigs) only on the weekends, and only when I drink to the happy-happy point.  I often go weeks without it, and I don't feel any physical withdrawal or dire need to partake.  But then again, I've always been one that loves some tobacco when I'm really drinking, and have no desire for it when sober.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I occasionally smoke a pipe (I am embarrassed to admit that I own several pipes that cost hundreds of dollars each ) and have some nice cigars in my humidor for nice occasions (Davidoff Classic No. 1).

Not to toot my own horn, but I am actually quite intelligent and relatively successful in life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  So you want to take up smoking?  A real life Einstein.  How stupid are you?

I occasionally smoke a pipe (I am embarrassed to admit that I own several pipes that cost hundreds of dollars each ) and have some nice cigars in my humidor for nice occasions (Davidoff Classic No. 1).

Not to toot my own horn, but I am actually quite intelligent and relatively successful in life.  

But that's impossssiiibbblleeeeee.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually there are studies that show pipe smokers live longer. Of course there are also studies that show we never landed on the moon. But seriously these studies are pretty interesting.

But it isn't exactly taking up smoking. I am sure you are a bastion of health too. How many carbs do you consume? Drink caffeine? What other drugs do you put in your body? Chemicals from Damn near everything we touch and eat? Do you exercise regularly? Do you avoid driving? Life is nothing but risks and smoking a pipe occasionally is a pretty Damn small one, actually an extremely small one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why are you embarrassed? Most all my pipes cost hundreds of dollars each.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Einstein smoked a pipe I believe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Actually there are studies that show pipe smokers live longer. Of course there are also studies that show we never landed on the moon. But seriously these studies are pretty interesting.

But it isn't exactly taking up smoking. I am sure you are a bastion of health too. How many carbs do you consume? Drink caffeine? What other drugs do you put in your body? Chemicals from Damn near everything we touch and eat? Do you exercise regularly? Do you avoid driving? Life is nothing but risks and smoking a pipe occasionally is a pretty Damn small one, actually an extremely small one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes he did.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please elaborate how your avoidance technique has made you immortal.

As long as you take up a behavior and don't expect others to pay for any repercussions,what business is it of yours to take a crap in this thread?

I suppose you don't drink alcohol, eat any processed food, drink a drop of soda, eat anything fried, have a single dessert , have salt on your fries, ever exceed the speed limit, or take a single risk in your life...ever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which ones did you watch for the technique or 'how to'?

Those guys are pretty cool. Overall, one of the best hobby descriptions I have ever watched on YouTube. Most talk to fast, talk to technical, or just don't do it right. Those guys make you feel like you are sitting across from them shooting the shit.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Those guys are pretty cool. Overall, one of the best hobby descriptions I have ever watched on YouTube. Most talk to fast, talk to technical, or just don't do it right. Those guys make you feel like you are sitting across from them shooting the shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Research concluded that pipe smokers live on average two years longer than non-smokers.  With that conclusion pipe smokers then live on average longer than anyone else.   The war on tobacco is garbage.  I can see a war on cigarettes as the added ingredients to the tobacco along with inhaling the smoke is what makes them so deadly.  A cigar or bowl of pipe (in moderation, like anything else) every now and then is not harmful.  Nicotine actually has been proven to have some beneficial properties for ones health.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Burn

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Burn

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top