Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/25/2014 5:36:49 PM EDT
Why are they so much?  Seems like you pay over $1000 just to get something considered decent, when that kind of money can get you a good AR.  It seems like more work would go into an AR, but obviously I am missing something.

What is the deal?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shotgun?  Pure and incredible lockwork....

Double guns are like watches....they are amazingly intricate.  Too, regulating the barrels properly takes high dollar tooling and skill....

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't understand it until I shot a silver pigeon.  Now shooting clays with an 870 makes me feel........
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I know someone that has a nice O/U that i'm jealous of, but can't bring myself to spend the cash to get one like it.

it's just a really, really nicely built, solid shotgun. very well finished.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad has a 12 and a 20 OU, they are magnificent. My 9 year old was fucking up clays with the 20 like they were tied to the end of the barrel
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, fire a pump/auto versus a middlin' decent O/U and you will instantly see why.

I was shooting a 28 gauge 'made' specifically for trap/skeet. I went 100% for the 5-6 rounds through it and all but 1-2 were doubles. It was like a mouse, point and click. And this one wasn't even sized for me.

In that moment I instantly understood why they were so expensive as I had wondered the same.

Academy has a $400 O/U doens't it? My FIL got one in 12. Tried to get him to go 20 citing the above as reason why he would hit just as much. Nope, he went with 12. And that extra recoil is just enough to throw him off picking up that second pigeon.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]
There are some really good Japanese OU's that you can often find well under a grand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The difference is like buying a suit at Men's Wearhouse and having a suit hand tailored.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Accuracy? No

Durability? No

Reliability? No

Fancy carvings on the stock?  Yes

View Quote
Uh huh, is that why I put over 250,000 rounds through my Franchi Alcione and sold it for what I paid for it 10 years later? You are paying for quality and durability. You pay extra for fancy engraving.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't understand it until I shot a silver pigeon.  Now shooting clays with an 870 makes me feel........
View Quote

Nothing. It makes us feel nothing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC, a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is $3.5 Million new.  And it doesn't do anything a Smart Car doesn't do too
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Google "Purdey shotguns" if you want to see real coin.  Think more than a house.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uh huh, is that why I put over 250,000 rounds through my Franchi Alcione and sold it for what I paid for it 10 years later? You are paying for quality and durability. You pay extra for fancy engraving.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

500 shotgun rounds a week for ten years.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Google "Purdey shotguns" if you want to see real coin.  Think more than a house.
View Quote

Beautiful guns, I've actually shot one. But are they worth 300k, only if someone's willing to pay it. Which thankfully for the shop I work at people are.

In reality with higher end guns you get better lockup, longer life before the lockup starts to break down. Back boring, interchangeable chokes, manual safety, many have mechanical Triggers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A friend let me shoot an O/U one time at clays, very nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That must have taken forever shooting 2 at a time.

A good semi-auto is worth $1000.

A 2-shotter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

That must have taken forever shooting 2 at a time.

A good semi-auto is worth $1000.

A 2-shotter?

A good semi auto costs quite a bit more than $1k if you plan on buying one that fits you and then shooting any appreciable volume of shells through it.  

I shoot about 20k rounds a year in sporting clays, 5 stand and FITASC.   I depend on a shotgun tnat fits me, shoots where I look and will go Bang when I need it to.  You can't get that without spending some coin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are some really good Japanese OU's that you can often find well under a grand.
View Quote

If you can find a basic Classic Doubles 101 that's a great shotgun for under a grand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
you are paying for the chance to be like your vice presidick
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Accuracy? No

Durability? No

Reliability? No

View Quote
Translated - "I don't own one"....

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]

I shot in a squad behind Digweed at the World English several years ago.   He is a phenominal shot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If one wanted to purchase one of these beasts for about 2500$ what brand/model would one look for?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If one wanted to purchase one of these beasts for about 2500$ what brand/model would one look for?

View Quote

I'm a Browning fan, but my Citori only cost $1600.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

Who needs one when you can get a Mossberg Chainsaw?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Beretta silver pigeon is probably the best bet at $2K.  I shoot that and a SV10 pervail.  Both are great guns for the price
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
My 2 cents:

I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting.  Cost about $2,000.  It's really well balanced and light weight even with 32 inch barrels.  Backbored, extra long forcing cones, long choke tubes etc.  all these things help to keep the pellets from being compressed and deformed as they leave the chamber and enter the barrel then exit the choke tube.   This leads to decreased recoil and better pattern with less fliers.  

Spending more money will increase this a bit and add durability but mostly you will be paying for higher grade wood, more intricate lock work, more hand fitting and hand engraving.

I think for $2k you get a top notch over under and the next step up is in the 8-10k range and then above that it is the wood and engraving.  Side by sides are a bit more complex so the price is roughly double for similar quality.  4k for a nice Merkel etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices.

A nice semi-auto shotgun is better period.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Beretta silver pigeon is probably the best bet at $2K.  I shoot that and a SV10 pervail.  Both are great guns for the price
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The right answer is whichever gun FITS YOU the best. I would also take a look at the browning 725
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't been on here much today, but you win the "stupid statement of the day" award!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trollololololololololol
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]

130yds wow
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Take the same shooter.

Have him shoot a $2,000 O/U and a nicely setup Benelli(semi).  I sincerely doubt the results of his shooting will be significantly different.  The only difference is with the Benelli (semi) he'll be able to lay down some lead if he chooses... So he could try to throw and shoot 5 or 6 clays out of the air if he has the talent.  Try that with a O/U.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Take the same shooter.

Have him shoot a $2,000 O/U and a nicely setup Benelli(semi).  I sincerely doubt the results of his shooting will be significantly different.  The only difference is with the Benelli (semi) he'll be able to lay down some lead if he chooses... So he could try to throw and shoot 5 or 6 clays out of the air if he has the talent.  Try that with a O/U.
View Quote

Or have him shoot a up close clay and a far clay, then the benefit of the o/u become apparent.  Different guns for different uses
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#39]
What specifically makes an O/U cost more that other types of actions is the extra barrel and the hand fitting required to make the two barrels shoot to the same point of impact.

Beyond that, since manufacturers know the average consumer is not going to fork over the cash for these features, and they are tailored to the high end market, they might as well add in higher quality wood and engraving.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I'd never handled or shot a Beretta.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Driving through mid ohio and pulled in at a little gun shop that looked like a hole in the wall joint, walked in too $20,000 shotguns. From what I seen you boght the guns piece by piece for exact fit, not my cup of tea but still neat to look at.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#43]
This.

Factory double release on a my k80.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Take the same shooter.

View Quote
I don't think you understand.

In a sport where you only get two shots an O/U with choke of choice is going to be the superior choice.

If all you want to do is "lay down lead" well then - that's a different type of shooter.

Different shotguns for different purposes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Take the same shooter.

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#47]
The stocks are polished by the pussy lips of Italian virgins.  
ETA:  I've been to the Beretta Gallery in Milan several times.  They have guns there where the stock is not only unfinished, but raw uncarved wood beyond the fitment to the receiver.  They guy fits the gun to the buyer, carves the stock, and after a few fittings you go home with it (after the pussy lip polish of course).  The craftsmanship is stunning.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I have HEARD that they are built so the barrels have the same POI (IOW each bore axis is not completely parallel with the other), but I have no idea if true.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Regulating two barrels, and making the Lockwork not fall apart is hard than you think.

There is nowhere for recoil to go but back, so it has to be very robust.

The proof is in the pudding.  Cheap O/U's shoot themselves apart.

There is a point of diminishing returns, but the ultra high end is indeed worth it to some people.

You can get into a lightly used Beretta or Browning for $1000-$1400 and have it fitted to yourself for a little more, and enjoy the same features of much more expensive guns.

I already have AR's and don't desire to own a bunch of them that I don't use.  I don't have a nice O/U shotgun. But I'm buying one soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]
With few exceptions.

$1500-$2500 gets you a gun correctly indexed, a solid receiver expect it to go 100k to 150k rounds with no problems , good over all balance, and pleasing but minimalist aesthetics on the lower end guns.  

$2500-$4500 gets you a gun correctly indexed, a solid receiver, depending on the design some receivers can see 500k for multiple barrel sets with no issues, excellent to wand like balance, and pleasing aesthetics.  Some of the higher end guns in that bracket the wood work and and receiver engraving are works of art.

$4500-$16000 gets you all of the above and starts to branch out into the specialized custom competition guns and guns that are works of art.  Some of the field guns in these categories have engraving that takes years to complete.  The higher end mechanisms in this price are like fine watches.

$16000-$100,000+  The locking mechanisms and craftsmanship goes beyond perfection.  Smithing techniques that take lifetimes to perfect and years to produce a product are used.  Specific engravers are commissioned to do the engraving.  I have heard of some guns taking 10 years plus to engrave.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top