Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2014 5:04:40 PM EDT
What was the first thing his by coalition forces during the first gulf war, and by what weapons platform?  I has always thought F-117's or B2's dropped the first ordnance, but someone today told me AH-64's actually fired the opening shots.  This is a bit hard to believe?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but it was probably Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What was the first thing his by coalition forces during the first gulf war, and by what weapons platform?  I has always thought F-117's or B2's dropped the first ordnance, but someone today told me AH-64's actually fired the opening shots.  This is a bit hard to believe?

View Quote

I know Apaches killed radar installations at the beginning but I can't remember if that was the first thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing I saw on TV said Apaches cleared out some SAM sites for the F117s to have a safe path.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Weren't there some Tomahawk strikes against command-and-control targets just prior to the Apaches going in?  Or am I thinking of 2003?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I had always thought it was F117's striking radar sites that kicked off the air campaign, but wikipedia disagrees.

A day after the deadline set in United Nations Security Council Resolution 678, the coalition launched a massive air campaign, which began the general offensive codenamed Operation Desert Storm with more than 1,000 sorties launching per day. It began on 17 January 1991, at 2:10 am, Baghdad time, when Task Force Normandy (eight US AH-64 Apache helicopters led by two MH-53 Pave Low helicopters) of the US Army destroyed Iraqi radar sites near the Iraqi-Saudi Arabian border which could have warned Iraq of an upcoming attack.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The thing I saw on TV said Apaches cleared out some SAM sites for the F117s to have a safe path.
View Quote

This is what I've always heard, although I'd bet there was some unofficial shots fired before the war officially began.

I actually knew one of the crewmembers in the 64 that fired the 1st missile. Dude did not fuck around.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't the Iraqi air defenses have posed a MUCH greater threat to the Apaches than the F-117's?

Furthermore, being that there's no way the Apache's could have taken to ALL the air defenses that night, why bother...why risk them?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Might it have been one those instances where the 117's were in Iraqi airspace first, but the Apaches were the first to start loosing ordnance?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Weren't there some Tomahawk strikes against command-and-control targets just prior to the Apaches going in?  Or am I thinking of 2003?
View Quote

I think that you are right.

Tomahawks, f117, harm missiles , and those metallic bombs that kill power grids according to some reports that I had read.  I think that they had to kill the radar for the stealth fighters.  The old radar can see the stealth stuff.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wouldn't the Iraqi air defenses have posed a MUCH greater threat to the Apaches than the F-117's?

Furthermore, being that there's no way the Apache's could have taken to ALL the air defenses that night, why bother...why risk them?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If memory serves, the Apaches and Pave Lows came in low, under the bottom of the radars line of sight.  They killed one radar station which created

a gap for the F-117s to kill more stuff, which allowed F-111s to kill more stuff and so on.  I guess the Apaches were the Suppress in the suppress-

obscure, secure reduce chain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air Defenses don't work like that. If you stay low and behind barriers (like sand dunes or mountains, etc) then they can't detect you, or engage you until you're right at them.

Stealth also doesn't work like that. It only reduces their ability to detect the aircraft, it doesn't make it invisible. Long range air defenses are better at killing things at long range. Helicopters can come in to short range. Bam. Dead installation.

The Apaches took out a specific weakness, which opened up a safe corridor. Everything poured in over that one point and opened it further.

They also had a pretty good intelligence picture of what they were up against.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My Chief and LPO were on the USS San Jacinto and they fired the first Tomahawks of the war!!!! I forget what the targets were but next time I talk to them I will find out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]
It was absolutely Apaches that fired the first shots. They were from the 101st ABN Div. and as previously mentioned they took out an early warning radar site in southern Iraq.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ah-64a-ops.htm
On 17 January 1991, four MH-53J Pave Low III helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron led two flights of Apaches to make the first strike of the war. Pilots of the two flights, eight AH-64A Apache attack helicopters of 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) fired the first shots of Operation Desert Storm. Codenamed "Normandy", in remembrance of the 101st "Screaming Eagles" airborne operation during World War II, the dangerous mission consisted of simultaneous attacks designed to knock-out two key early-warning radar installations in western Iraq at precisely 0238 hours, 17 January 1991. Both radar sites, each hit by a team of four Apaches, were destroyed within a time span of 4.5 minutes. Each pilot's primary target became the secondary target for adjacent Apache team members.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tomahawks are easier to shoot down than most aircraft. They come in after the air defenses are reduced.

It should be noted that the Apaches targeted radar sites primarily, not actual weapons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is what I've always heard, although I'd bet there was some unofficial shots fired before the war officially began.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was on both sides. Recon by fire and harassing fires.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It was Col. Mustard with the lead pipe in the library.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Has a tomahawk ever been shot down?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Some Warthogs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Tomahawks are easier to shoot down than most aircraft. They come in after the air defenses are reduced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Weren't there some Tomahawk strikes against command-and-control targets just prior to the Apaches going in? Or am I thinking of 2003?

I did not know that.   Interesting.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes with air defense and small arms(SA was pure luck from what I remember reading)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dunno. About 20% of them that were successfully launched and turned to their cruise mode failed to hit their targets. They didn't really have communications with them after that point, so their fate is iffy. I know at least two "got lost" because they were terrain matching flat desert and all flat desert looks similar and they hit other places.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#22]
There were reports that up to six were shot down in Desert Storm.  The Serbs also shot some down during the NATO operation along with a predator drone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes with air defense and small arms(SA was pure luck from what I remember reading)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would believe it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think it was the first strike but a guy I worked with was in the first Gulf war. He said there were a bunch of Iraq soldiers in a buried school bus. He said they asked them to give up, and when they refused an Apache blew it up. He said it was pretty messy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know Apaches killed radar installations at the beginning but I can't remember if that was the first thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is what I have always heard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I PCS'd to  FT Hood in 1995 and was assigned to 1/7  cav. During inprocessing at I met Col. Cody the 4th Brigade Commander. Don't know if its true but his driver told me when taking me to the squadron that Col. Cody fired the first hellfires at the radar site.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Not sure if they were used first but during the initial air assault the F4-G Wild Weasels were pretty much at the front of the line to get the SAM radars to light them up and then take them out with either their own ordnance or that of another aircraft.

Here is a very good article on them:

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/gulf-war-20th-desert-storm-was-the-first-and-last-war-for-the-f-4g-advanced-wild-weasel/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep, eight Army AH-64 Apaches led by a USAF MH-53J PAVE LOW kicked off the war with TASK FORCE NORMANDY at precisely 2:38 AM Bagdad time on Jan 17th, 1991.   1st Battalion of the 101st got the honor.

By taking out the Iraqi air defense radar sites the Coalition bombers could go in unmolested and do their handiwork.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know, but it was probably Bush's fault.
View Quote

I rost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

First weapons fired were tomahawk cruise missiles. First targets destroyed were radar installations along the border, hit with hellfire missiles fired from Apaches, who in turn were guided to their firing positions by MH-53 Pave Lows.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
radar tower
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was AH-64s, lead in by a Pave Low to attack an Iraqi air defense radar site that would have provided an early alert of the Allied aircraft formations approaching Iraq, had the site not been destroyed by the Apaches..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, Apaches from the 101st flew in at very low level and took out a radar site in southern Iraq, which opened up a gap in their radar coverage. But that wasn't done so much to help out the F-117s as it was the large strike force of conventional fighter bombers (F-15E and F-16C) strikers coming in on the heels of the Nighthawks and Apaches. The F-117s were probably already in the air over Iraq when the Apaches hit that radar site. And some of the Tomahawk missiles may have already been in the air also. It was pretty much a wham, bam, thank you ma'am type of thing. We really gave it to them with both barrels right from the start and never let up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
The truth was the target, the MSM was the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

First weapons fired were tomahawk cruise missiles. First targets destroyed were radar installations along the border, hit with hellfire missiles fired from Apaches, who in turn were guided to their firing positions by MH-53 Pave Lows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't say for sure if they were first but I do recall seeing tomahawks on day one of the Gulf War.  That and lots and lots of bombs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apache"s took early warning
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Qurah Island, if I recall correctly
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember watching the aircraft fly over our tactical AA in Saudi Arabia.

I would not have wanted to be on the receiving end of that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It was absolutely Apaches that fired the first shots. They were from the 101st ABN Div. and as previously mentioned they took out an early warning radar site in southern Iraq.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

On 17 January 1991, four MH-53J Pave Low III helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron led two flights of Apaches to make the first strike of the war. Pilots of the two flights, eight AH-64A Apache attack helicopters of 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) fired the first shots of Operation Desert Storm. Codenamed "Normandy", in remembrance of the 101st "Screaming Eagles" airborne operation during World War II, the dangerous mission consisted of simultaneous attacks designed to knock-out two key early-warning radar installations in western Iraq at precisely 0238 hours, 17 January 1991. Both radar sites, each hit by a team of four Apaches, were destroyed within a time span of 4.5 minutes. Each pilot's primary target became the secondary target for adjacent Apache team members.

I was in Army ROTC at the time and one of the other cadet's fathers was with the 101st, and we got a copy of the gun camera film, after they took out the radars, they did a gun run on the rest ;-)

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It should be noted that the Apaches targeted radar sites primarily, not actual weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think so, huh? Those things are the size of an ant's asshole on radar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Methylsulfonylmethane was used???
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
The ghost of Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do tell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Do tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell.

x2
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yep, eight Army AH-64 Apaches led by a USAF MH-53J PAVE LOW kicked off the war with TASK FORCE NORMANDY at precisely 2:38 AM Bagdad time on Jan 17th, 1991.   1st Battalion of the 101st got the honor.

By taking out the Iraqi air defense radar sites the Coalition bombers could go in unmolested and do their handiwork.
View Quote

This, SF lased the targets, both were hit at the exact same time so Iraq would think it was an 'outage' rather than an attack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This, SF lased the targets, both were hit at the exact same time so Iraq would think it was an 'outage' rather than an attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the job the SF boys do without any fanfare.  Their participation, while not heralded, make many impossible missions possible through their ability to work covertly behind the scenes. Balls of solid brass!!!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And some F-15s, but those were about an hour into the battle, after the Stealth guys dropped C&C for the majority of the corridor.  

That was also when a Growler got ½ credit for downing an enemy MiG by out-maneuvering it, causing it to hit the desert floor.  Credit was also given to an F-15 that was coming to aid the Growler for not giving the MiG a chance to get to a higher altitude.  I think they later revised it so the Eagle pilot got full credit, though he didn't fire a shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some Warthogs.

And some F-15s, but those were about an hour into the battle, after the Stealth guys dropped C&C for the majority of the corridor.  

That was also when a Growler got ½ credit for downing an enemy MiG by out-maneuvering it, causing it to hit the desert floor.  Credit was also given to an F-15 that was coming to aid the Growler for not giving the MiG a chance to get to a higher altitude.  I think they later revised it so the Eagle pilot got full credit, though he didn't fire a shot.

Didn't know we had EA-18Gs in Desert Storm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top