Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2014 3:01:28 PM EDT
Went to get new phones today and was told I must give up my old contract (unlimited data) if I were to receive new phones or pay full retail for the phones if I wanted to keep my old contract.

What company do you have and what kind of data plan do you run ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I kept my unlimited for 4 years until I decided I was done with their stupid policies.  Switched to Tmobile a month ago and haven't looked back.  Saving about $100/month as well.  Their service area isn't as good as VZW but where I live I get great LTE so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
How much data do you actually use? Take a look at the AT&T 10GB plan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have verizon and was told as long as i dont change my plan I keep the unlimited data. I have gone through 2 upgrades and still had it.  I recently went to their loyalty plan (or wtf ever its called).  Its $60/mo for unlimited talk/text and 2gb date.  Before i decided to lose the data i had them check and see how many times i even got neat 1.8gb and they said in the past 2 years i only got to 1.8 or higher 2 times and neither of those i went over 2gb (averaged alittle over 1gb)  so i switched.  beat paying $110/mo
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I love their unlimited data.  Since I love to use it I just bought and older phone out right.  Have been out of contract for 3 years now.  You just need to get one where you can switch out the sim cards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
VZW, unlimited.  I paid full price for the phone.  Over the life of the phone, it's still cheaper than a phone bill and an internet bill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember those of you who are out of contract, buying retail/used phones and keeping your unlimited data plan, your monthly bill still includes the cost you'd be paying if you got a subsidized phone. You're still paying for a phone every month even if you bought your phone retail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VZW, unlimited.  I paid full price for the phone.  Over the life of the phone, it's still cheaper than a phone bill and an internet bill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just remember those of you who are out of contract, buying retail/used phones and keeping your unlimited data plan, your monthly bill still includes the cost you'd be paying if you got a subsidized phone. You're still paying for a phone every month even if you bought your phone retail.
View Quote

my bill dropped $30
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 4 lines on my plan (wife and kids) I have used as much as 17g (I use hot spot to run my tablet and lap top ) in a month.

This sucks , I was looking forward to trying out the new Galaxy s5.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 4 lines on my plan (wife and kids) I have used as much as 17g (I use hot spot to run my tablet and lap top ) in a month.

This sucks , I was looking forward to trying out the new Galaxy s5.
View Quote

Pay full price for it in cash and switch out the sim cards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Unlimited everything with Sprint.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
did you just crawl out from under a rock?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]

I had the same plan, when I upgraded was told that since I was nowhere near 2gb a month I would never notice it. I send pictures and text a lot. I questioned it and the nice lady said that if I was worried about it and since I've been with Verizon a long time she would give me 6gb for the price of 2gb.

the bill is a little cheaper and I don't have to worry.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy your new phone off eBay for 1/4 the cost they were going to charge you and you can keep your unlimited data.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I love their unlimited data.  Since I love to use it I just bought and older phone out right.  Have been out of contract for 3 years now.  You just need to get one where you can switch out the sim cards.

View Quote

When I did that I went from a 3G card to a 4G card but could not activate it online.  I had to take the phone I bought and the sim card to a store and they were able to override the policy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate verizon too but it's the only carrier that I can get service out in the mountains near my cabin.  I have been in the middle of nowhere and managed to get a text out with verizon.  I spend a lot of time out there so I deal with it.

ETA  they just doubled my data to 4gb for free for some reason which is nice since I come close to hitting the cap every month.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Sprint Unlimited data.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sprint Unlimited data.
View Quote

Provided their data network doesn't suck hard in your area. After 4 years of < 512kb average data speed and nothing but empty promises and dead technology to remedy the problem, I switched to Verizon for usable data,  even if it IS limited.

Granted, they have rolled out LTE and new towers in the meantime, so I might give them amother look when my Verizon contract runs out.

Of course, the fact that my brother has Boost, on Sprint's network, for $35/mo,  I might be going contract less from now on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy a used phone for a couple hundred bucks.

Or if you have a line without unlimited, get the upgrade on that line and switch the phone to your unlimited line.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30

How did your bill drop $30?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have verizon and was told as long as i dont change my plan I keep the unlimited data. I have gone through 2 upgrades and still had it.  I recently went to their loyalty plan (or wtf ever its called).  Its $60/mo for unlimited talk/text and 2gb date.  Before i decided to lose the data i had them check and see how many times i even got neat 1.8gb and they said in the past 2 years i only got to 1.8 or higher 2 times and neither of those i went over 2gb (averaged alittle over 1gb)  so i switched.  beat paying $110/mo
View Quote

Same for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
FOP business plan gets unlimited data, look for a similar setup.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife and I recently switched from AT&T to Cricket.  We get the same level of coverag, since AT&T recently bought out Cricket and we use their towers, but for a much lower price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30

2 year Contract was over, bill dropped $30.  I was no longer "paying" for the phone it self.  Now I just pay for the service month to month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I average over 40 gigs a month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#27]

T-Mobile.

$60/month + tax for 3GB of LTE data, after that it's throttled down but unlimited. Nice thing about T-Mobile is you can change your phone whenever you want simply by switching out the SIM card.  No need to ask T-Mobile for permission.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I still can't get over the idea of data caps.  We'll sell you a phone with a high speed internet connection, a giant HD screen, a few streaming video apps, and the ability to serve as a wifi hotspot for 87 devices... but we're going to cap your data at the equivalent of one HD movie.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have VZW unlimited, and I pay full price for a new phone when I want one to keep my plan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I still can't get over the idea of data caps. We'll sell you a phone with a high speed internet connection, a giant HD screen, a few streaming video apps, and the ability to serve as a wifi hotspot for 87 devices... but we're going to cap your data at the equivalent of one HD movie.
View Quote

That's why you buy a 64GB microSD card for your phone and convert movies to a mobile format.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Kept my unlimited and simply buy slightly older models from Ebay when I want to upgrade.  I use over 5gb a month and only pay $74 a month for unlimited everything due to my corporate discount.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
tmo ftw
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

2 year Contract was over, bill dropped $30.  I was no longer "paying" for the phone it self.  Now I just pay for the service month to month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30

Automatically?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
T-Mobile.

$60/month + tax for 3GB of LTE data, after that it's throttled down but unlimited. Nice thing about T-Mobile is you can change your phone whenever you want simply by switching out the SIM card.  No need to ask T-Mobile for permission.

View Quote

Or pay an extra $10/month and get unlimited LTE without any throttling.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30

Exactly. The balance of the phone price is rolled into your monthly plan price. You're going to pay full price for the phone no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Boost Mobile. $40 a month for unlimited everything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly. The balance of the phone price is rolled into your monthly plan price. You're going to pay full price for the phone no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my bill dropped $30

I'm just wondering how.  I'm not aware of any way your bill automatically goes down just because you're out of contract.  I've been out of contract since July and I'm still paying the same per month.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Provided their data network doesn't suck hard in your area. After 4 years of < 512kb average data speed and nothing but empty promises and dead technology to remedy the problem, I switched to Verizon for usable data,  even if it IS limited.

Granted, they have rolled out LTE and new towers in the meantime, so I might give them amother look when my Verizon contract runs out.

Of course, the fact that my brother has Boost, on Sprint's network, for $35/mo,  I might be going contract less from now on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sprint Unlimited data.

Yeah that is the problem where I am too. AT&T and Sprint service both suck donkey balls where I am. Everyone is pretty much forced forced to AT&T and on plans. Oh for all of you guys still on unlimited guess who gets throttled all the time
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Just found this on Craigslist (not mine) if anybody is interested.

Verizon unlimited
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh for all of you guys still on unlimited guess who gets throttled all the time

Not I!  Maybe I just don't use enough data.  I'm usually around 12-14gb, and have had a couple 20gb months.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Sprint > Verizon
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm just wondering how.  I'm not aware of any way your bill automatically goes down just because you're out of contract.  I've been out of contract since July and I'm still paying the same per month.  
View Quote

Only way I know through Verizon is if he was using the edge plan
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking, and it that's the case it's irrelevant to this thread since it's about keeping an unlimited data plan that would have been phased out long before anyone could sign up for an Edge plan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Went to get new phones today and was told I must give up my old contract (unlimited data) if I were to receive new phones or pay full retail for the phones if I wanted to keep my old contract.

View Quote

I think if you can find someone else with a verizon phone they want to sell, buy it off of them
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Buy your new phone off eBay for 1/4 the cost they were going to charge you and you can keep your unlimited data.
View Quote

That's what I did last month.  About $250 for a Samsung S4 from some Ebay seller.  

No way I'm paying $500-600 for a phone.  

I like the Samsung S3/S4 models.  When the battery dies, just swap it out for $10 or so.  

Be careful buying phones on Ebay.  Even if it's brand new, it could have been sitting in the box for 2+ years.  The battery may not have much life remaining.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every cell carrier (that doesn't have shitty/spotty service) does this now. You can thank AT&T for starting the trend.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I swore off contract phones because of this shit. Prepaid FTW.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Still have unlimited data and have to buy my phones out right. Still running a s3 and see no reason to get a new phone still fast online and use foxfi hotspot to connect other devices.

But my understanding is that they are going to start throttling unlimited in high traffic areas over 5gb. that was from a Verizon customer service rep.

got my phone off of amazon.

Check the EE and see is there is a used phone

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I kept my unlimited data plan with Verizon by going to an authorized retailer and asking them how it could be done. They upgraded my line to an iphone 6 and put the upgrade on another line on my plan that has a 2gb data plan by doing an alternate upgrade. They then transferred the phone to my line and I kept unlimited data and got the iPhone 6 for $200. I don't know if all retailers will do it, but I'd try doing it that way. If you google how to keep unlimited data on Verizon there is a thread on slickdeals for fatwallet that also tells you a way to do it. It can be done so I wouldn't switch yet. That's how they explained it to me, so if you have a line on your plan that has a data plan that isn't unlimited you can do it, if you can find someone willing to do it for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top