Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 1:48:40 PM EDT
So, I love those vinegary porky tasting baked beans. The good stuff that people either make from scratch or doctor the hell out of some Bush's or whatever. This is the stuff you eat when you get real smoked pulled pork.

I don't have a recipe, and I want one. Help a brother out?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This recipe uses canned pork 'n' beans (low sodium of course), but we're gonna make them better.

In a pan, sauté one package of bacon, cut into four sections. Cut up one onion, and one green bell pepper. Throw the bell pepper in first, than the onion a few minutes later. Sauté with the bacon till the edges of the onion turn clear.

Poor pork'n'bean into a bowl (how many cans depends on how many people your feeding), add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and salt and pepper. To taste (I'd start with one table spoon of each, than taste. If you want more of a vinegar taste, more mustard and ketchup. If you want a sweeter taste, more brown sugar, this all to the taste you like. You can always add more, but can't take it away, so go slow on this.)

Than add the bacon, onion and green bell pepper (with grease) stir it up. Poor into a baking dish, bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Awesome stuff.

Edit for grammar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My Wife (beautiful AND a great cook) has a recipe; 2 rolls Jimmy deans sausage; 1/2 pound ground beef;  2 cans of lima beans, butter beans, green beans, pinto beans, brown sugar, 2 cans baked beans, 1/2 pond bacon. Brown bacon and sausage and onion. put in casserole dish with all the beans and some brown sugar. Bake at 275 degrees till done. Almost a meal in the pan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yankee beans, Yankee beans .......
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"  

WICKED BAKED BEANS

(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 Medium onion, diced

1/2 Bell pepper, diced

1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)

1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans

1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1 Cup ketchup

1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a
slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno  pepper until
tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup
and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9
or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add
additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of
the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1
hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style
pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice
the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the
potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding
these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

Addendum:
In a recent message from eman (he makes these beans ALL THE TIME) he
told be that in his last run of these beans the Bush beans had way more
liquid than normal. If this is the case, you may want to drain some of
the liquid from the beans (unless you really like them wet). YMMV

EDIT:
5/18/14: For those of you who plan on putting your beans in a dutch
oven (minus the lid) and then into the smoker; a single batch will fill a
10 inch regular dutch oven (4 quart) almost to the top. A batch will
fill a 10 inch deep dutch oven (5 quart) with room enough for stirring
without worrying about loosing beans over the sides.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Bush's
Chopped Bacon
Brown Sugar
Honey
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Can
Pot
Onions
Bacon
Combine
Cook
Throw in garbage.

I hate baked beans

Black beans and rice is where it's at
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Serves up to 18
8 slices Thick bacon, halved
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
jalapeno
2 tablespoons Dijon
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients). Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This recipe uses canned pork 'n' beans (low sodium of course), but we're gonna make them better.

In a pan, sauté one package of bacon, cut into four sections. Cut up one onion, and one green bell pepper. Throw the bell pepper in first, than the onion a few minutes later. Sauté with the bacon till the edges of the onion turn clear.

Poor pork'n'bean into a bowl (how many cans depends on how many people your feeding), add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and salt and pepper. To taste (I'd start with one table spoon of each, than taste. If you want more of a vinegar taste, more mustard and ketchup. If you want a sweeter taste, more brown sugar, this all to the taste you like. You can always add more, but can't take it away, so go slow on this.)

Than add the bacon, onion and green bell pepper (with grease) stir it up. Poor into a baking dish, bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Awesome stuff.

Edit for grammar.
View Quote

Good recipe but I would add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Bacon
Worcestershire
Brown sugar
Chopped onions
More bacon on top

Add this to Bush's and go from there.

By the way, add bacon
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]

As per usual, the only recipe I even loosely follow is Alton Brown's.  IMO, his are a bit too jalapeno0y, but if you google for his recipe and follow it (with some modifications for your own tastes), you will not be disappointed.  If you like sweeter beans, halve his amount of jalapeno.

Also, soaking of beans overnight most definitely does make a difference.   And be sure to follow his instructions for when to add molasses... too early and it really does make the beans hard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for grammar.

Good idea. hadn't thought of that. I've been doing this way for years, I'm try that next time.

And I just noticed that poor should be pour, my bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
We use a lot of recipes from the Pioneer Woman. Yeah, I know, but she has some bad ass recipes. Like the one for baked beans.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/the-best-baked-beans-ever/

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#14]
You hilljacks using canned beans should be ashamed. As if beans are hard to cook. I prefer Boston baked beans to BBQ beans. Use a proper earthenware bean pot too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can
Pot
Onions
Bacon
Combine
Cook
Throw in garbage.

I hate baked beans

Black beans and rice is where it's at
View Quote

Florida wins again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Sonny's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
One thing I do--rather than use bell pepper, I'll add a can or more of chopped green chiles.  They really add to the flavor.  I also add some chile pequin (chile crush) to the mix, and sprinkle a little more on top before baking.  Oh hell, here's my recipe, with notes on past batches:

My Baked Beans
3 cans pork and beans
4-6 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
garlic
1+ 4oz can chopped green chiles
blackstrap molasses
brown sugar
salt, pepper
chile crush
hot sauce
worcestershire sauce

Cut bacon into small pieces, brown.  Add chopped onion, cook 'til softened.  Add garlic to taste, cook for a minute longer.  Add to beans in glass casserole dish.  Add chopped green chiles, blackstrap molasses ( ~1/2 cup), brown sugar (3-4 tbs, to taste), salt, pepper, a tablespoon or so of chile crush, a few shots of  worcestershire sauce, and a few shots of hot sauce such as Franks or the like.  Mix well.  Sprinkle a little more chile crush over the top.  Bake at 350 or so for 45-60 minutes.  This is very much a season and taste dish.

7/4/12: made for July 4th dinner.  Used ~1 1/2 cans hot chopped green chiles, 1 1/2 chopped sweet onion.  1 tbs or so of chopped garlic.  ~ 1/3 12 oz bottle of molasses, so 4 oz or 1/2 cup.
Gave it about an hour in the oven to thicken some.  Pretty spicy.  One can mild green chiles and a bit less chile crush would do.  Very good!

1/30/14: made w/four cans pork & beans for pot luck/Super Bowl party at work.  Used ~8 slices bacon, chopped and sauteed til not quite crisp.  One sweet onion, chopped rather fine, ~1 tbs chopped garlic, two 4 oz cans green chiles (one hot, one mild), ~1/2 12 oz bottle blackstrap molasses, four or five tbs of brown sugar, ~ 1  tbs chile crush,  worcester and Frank's red hot sauce, seven shots of each, salt and pepper.  Used the bacon grease to sautee the onion,  then drained the fat, added the garlic for just a minute to wake it up, added all ingredients into the big cast iron skillet, heated and mixed well, then poured into a non-stick sprayed 13x9 glass baking dish.  Added a shake of chile crush on top, baked at 350 or so for 75 minutes.  Very tasty, but the chile crush was a hot batch!

Blackstrap molasses is another great ingredient in baked beans!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the pioneer woman recipe. They all sound better than beans out the can.

I'm going to try that one next time I grill (I don't own smoker yet, but I will remedy that soon enough.Still buying other shit needed for the house.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

That's sounds really good. Not exactly my vinegar filled goodness I'm asking for, but that recipe is a meal in itself. 3lbs total of pork. Hell yes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
My grandmother made the best baked beans I ever had, from scratch (she was quite a cook altogether).  I wish I had got the recipe from her before she passed.  And man you got to enjoy the after effects too.  Powerful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Take 1 can of:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71pkTtK4iOL._SL1500_.jpg

Heat, and serve with sausages, back bacon, eggs, mushrooms, fried bread.

View Quote

Sounds English
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for grammar.

I agree and also add a bit of horseradish (mine is a similar recipe)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been kind of hung up on this recipe for the last couple years. I cook them on the Weber with some hickory and put rib meat in them.

To me the key ingredients are the Blues Hog BBQ sauce and the hickory smoke.

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325 for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the pioneer woman recipe. They all sound better than beans out the can.

I'm going to try that one next time I grill (I don't own smoker yet, but I will remedy that soon enough.Still buying other shit needed for the house.)
View Quote

It takes some preparation time for sure, but you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
can of Bush's
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone ever tried Walmart Bake Beans from their deli?
Seriously they are good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#29]
To be honest Bush's bold and spicy is pretty good, as is.   I add bacon and a little bit of hot sauce to kick the heat up a bit, but that's it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I will give you my Dad's secret made from scratch baked bean recipe. He told me this recipe several times over the years

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
1. Bake beans
2. ?
3. Profit!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for grammar.

Benw887's recipe is the basic one we have been using for years with the addition of the Worcestershire sauce.  Next time we do it I will add the horseradish.

We also think Van Camps beans are the best for this recipe. Sometimes I will sub jalapenos or poblano for the bell pepper if I want it a little more spicy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Open up a can of Bush's Baked beans and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Hearty Bake Beans

Here it is......

1 lb ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
3/4 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
4cans(15 ounces each) pork and beans
1 bottle(18 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) White Butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet cook beef and onions until meat is no longer pink...DRAIN...       Transfer to a 5 qt dutch oven..stir in remaining ingred...Cover and bake at 350 for ONE hour.........Yield:  18 servings

I have changed the beans and put in more of one and less of another because that is what I had on hand and it always taste good......Hope you ENJOY
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"  

WICKED BAKED BEANS

(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 Medium onion, diced

1/2 Bell pepper, diced

1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)

1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans

1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1 Cup ketchup

1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno  pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

View Quote

Addendum: In a recent message from eman (he makes these beans ALL THE TIME) he told be that in his last run of these beans the Bush beans had way more liquid than normal. If this is the case, you may want to drain some of the liquid from the beans (unless you really like them wet). YMMV

EDIT: 5/18/14: For those of you who plan on putting your beans in a dutch oven (minus the lid) and then into the smoker; a single batch will fill a 10 inch regular dutch oven (4 quart) almost to the top. A batch will fill a 10 inch deep dutch oven (5 quart) with room enough for stirring without worrying about loosing beans over the sides.
I've made them like this before and mmmmmmmmmmmm are they good!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I do either the posted Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans or the Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans. Both are fantastic. I've also done Keri's without the apple pie filling and just used apple sauce with more brown sugar. Just make sure you drain the beans if you do that or it can end up kind of soupy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Oklahoma Joe's in KC has some best damn beans I've ever tried! This is suppose to be their recipe...

http://www.newson6.com/story/16994318/oklahoma-joes-best-beans-on-the-planet

I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it next time I cook brisket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top