BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 37
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You snipped out the pertinent parts.   I was responding to your claim that it's only an Arfcom thing.    It was such a bizarre claim, that I had to respond.    

The very first hit was from a LEO website.    What are the odds I found the only article, right at the top, on my first try?

View Quote
I see. That's my bad.

I should have been more specific.

What I intended to convey is that the whole concept is not commonplace in the real world.

The first time I ever heard of it was here. The only place I ever hear of it is here.

That goes for every cop I know.

Take all of that for whatever it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah but you can buy like 6 thousand acres and 3 wives for 29k in Bama!
View Quote
True.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Who pays for what? The degrees?

We don't, but some towns do, 100% with a grade of C or better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Making money is terrible.

I understand why an individual officer would see it as a good thing, they are just taking care of number one.  This is fine right up until you think of the big picture.

Why should a guy that maybe has a degree in basket weaving to get the job that only requires a GED have more earning potential than a guy that pays to put himself through school for a decade more or less?  This question is even worse when you realize that the second guy has a shit-load more personal financial liability.

College degree required where I work. Masters preferred.

Who pays for it?

Is it part of the "benefits" ?

Who pays for what? The degrees?

We don't, but some towns do, 100% with a grade of C or better.

Must be nice for the taxpayer picking up the tab for "extra" education so I can make more money (as they pay me)...what is next...uniform allowances?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Long time brother!

Hows life?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Must be nice for the taxpayer picking up the tab for "extra" education so I can make more money (as they pay me)...what is next...uniform allowances?
View Quote

Got that too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Long time brother!  

Hows life?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long time brother!  

Hows life?

Every day's a gift.  Hit my cell if you're going to be up for a minute.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

For cereal? I always felt like if KFC wanted you to work there, and they expected you to have no-slip safety shoes, they should buy them or at least give you a refundable budget.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
TLDR

What did I miss?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jfSWmlC6iA8/TpCR5-pdqSI/AAAAAAAAJYs/wsFr96jsY0E/s320/Jaws_079Pyxurz.jpg

Click-click-click........................

Click...click...
View Quote

That's pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck Cops ...that stupid theme song always gets stuck in my head
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Good article.  I think that the police and citizens should have access to the same gear, for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://www.breachbangclear.com/why-i-hate-cops/

An excellent read.

I will warn the anti-cop members here..keep your posts with in the CoC or you will be shown the door.

Argue the merits of this article all you want. Attack cops (including our LEO members here) because they are cops and you will be gone from the site.
View Quote

That entire article misses the point.

I don't give 2 shits if the popo has military equipment.  

The problem lies in how the equipment is used and the gung ho mindset which is great for the Marines, but not so good for Joe the local policeman.

People don't dislike cops because they have toys we all have as well.

They dislike cops for many reasons like:

1) the thin blue line protecting scumbag cops

2) shooting dogs

3) the "at least the officer made it home safe" mindset.  You want to play fucking army, guess what; I was told in boot camp my job might require me to be in danger and possibly die.   You want to claim you're not a civilian, then stop treating it like any other civilian job.

4) no knock raids (hell any raid where you invade someone's home should be done as the last resort)

5) the "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride" attitude.  Some cops feels like you don't respect him so he fucks with you simply because he can.  

6) lack of accountability for errors, in effect we pay for their fuckups with our tax money.

7) Cops' apparent phobia against being photographed.  

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but his article pretends the issue is about equipment.  Its the same dodge SOME LEO's on this site use as well.

Wear all the cargo pants you want, just don't kick in my door, shoot my dog, flashbang/shoot my kid, etc....

I'm not anti-cop but I am anti-strawman.   Discuss the real problems, not the made up shit linked that no one with a brain gives 2 shits about.   I'm better armed than 90% of cops.  

And yes, I thought it was a troll thread too.   I'm taking the OP at his word that it wasn't his intention.

eta: Almost forgot asset forfeiture laws.   Fuck anyone (cop or not) who supports that bullshit.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because that's what makes America a damn great place to live. Sounds like the second guy in your scenario should've scrutinized his future more efficiently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand why an individual officer would see it as a good thing, they are just taking care of number one.  This is fine right up until you think of the big picture.

Why should a guy that maybe has a degree in basket weaving to get the job that only requires a GED have more earning potential than a guy that pays to put himself through school for a decade more or less?  This question is even worse when you realize that the second guy has a shit-load more personal financial liability.

Because that's what makes America a damn great place to live. Sounds like the second guy in your scenario should've scrutinized his future more efficiently.

Yeah, those guys wasting their lives being doctors when they should have been blue collar task workers.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We don't set our pay.

Only in certain areas of the US can you pull a wage like that.

Here we start at $29k a year.
View Quote

The police union works their tail off making sure that the guy they want gets elected mayor.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I have and will continue to stand by my statement that LE shouldn't have anything the citizens of their area can't have (either through laws or refusal of companies or the government to sell to the general public). Simple and concise.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:52:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know why the author thinks one of the main reasons some people don't like cops is because they have NFA items.

I (and I assume others) might get jealous but not hate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The police union works their tail off making sure that the guy they want gets elected mayor.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We don't set our pay.

Not to burst your bubble. ..

We don't.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We don't set our pay.

We don't.

I meant to say that they do here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't understand the mindset here.  There are hundreds of professions out there, yet there are a shit ton of LE threads in GD, why?  There's already an LE specific forum.

Does the profession help people? Sure, so do researchers, doctors, engineers, etc. all working towards improving the safety and quality of products we consume or coming up with solutions and treatments to help us live longer, healthier lives.

Is it because the profession is dangerous?  Sure, so is being in the logging industry, a fisherman, and working construction. In fact, police...even firefighters don't even make it in the top 10 of the deadliest jobs.

So we have this big circle jerk in a bait thread that wants a one way conversation, but what the hell is with this desperate need for attention based on your job?  If someone is humble and happens to say they're a cop, oh cool I do a different kind of work I do _____. I can respect that and think that's good to hear.

Your profession is just one of many, get off the high horse, when someone has a constant need for attention and validation that alone could make me hate someone no matter what type of job they do.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy crap, this thread survived the night?

What's the body count?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh there has been a hullabaloo over the stuff they get cheap from the military. Cops have gotten caught with piles of machineguns, several school district Leo's got caught with grenade launchers. One school district police department had 22 machineguns. What are school police going to do with machineguns? Use suppressive fire against an active shooter in an elementary school?  

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/09/30/school-police-militarization

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/09/16/school-police-across-the-country-receive-excess-military-weapons-and-gear

Once they got caught I think they returned all the grenade launchers and admitted it was stupid to have them.

Edit they claimed they were for crowd control, never know when you might need to fire tear gas into a food fight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know why the author thinks one of the main reasons some people don't like cops is because they have NFA items.

I (and I assume others) might get jealous but not hate.
Oh there has been a hullabaloo over the stuff they get cheap from the military. Cops have gotten caught with piles of machineguns, several school district Leo's got caught with grenade launchers. One school district police department had 22 machineguns. What are school police going to do with machineguns? Use suppressive fire against an active shooter in an elementary school?  

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/09/30/school-police-militarization

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/09/16/school-police-across-the-country-receive-excess-military-weapons-and-gear

Once they got caught I think they returned all the grenade launchers and admitted it was stupid to have them.

Edit they claimed they were for crowd control, never know when you might need to fire tear gas into a food fight.

"Did that motherfucker just throw his mashed potatoes?"  "Yep"  "Get the gas! Get the gas!"

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
There are assholes in every field of work and really decent people too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
20 pages and it isn't locked and as far as I know..no one has been booted either.
Gentlemen..I am suitably impressed..
View Quote

This place is slipping....

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sorry my friend I'm sick of protected classes. Yeah, private site, Avila's rules, I respect that. I just find it beyond hypocritical that certain classes are fair game and others are deemed special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An excellent read.
I will warn the anti-cop members here..keep your posts with in the CoC or you will be shown the door.
Argue the merits of this article all you want. Attack cops (including our LEO members here) because they are cops and you will be gone from the site.

Sorry my friend I'm sick of protected classes. Yeah, private site, Avila's rules, I respect that. I just find it beyond hypocritical that certain classes are fair game and others are deemed special.

I'm with you. I just got my first account warning ever the other day in a cop thread because I described a hot head out of line cop with a certain term typically used to describe a delicous barnyard animal. I was told that was a violation of the COC because it was a term that offends an entire group and a segment of our membership. It was compared to calling women bitches or black people the N word.

On this site we can call Muslims snakcbars, we can call poor welfare recipients the FSA, we can refer to dems/liberals as libtards and its fine. Even though these are all derogatory terms for people and they are used to disparage groups that likely include at least a few of our members they are a okay.

Like you said their site, their rules and I'm happy to follow them. I just wish they would publish a list of Arfcom sacred cows so the membership knew who it was okay to disparage or offend and who is off limits. It would save the mods some time. It would have in my case because I'd have just kept my opinion about the cop in question to myself. I'll keep my opinion to myself with respect to this article as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you must be REALLY pissed at all those oil field workers, right out of high school making more then 100k a year.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We don't set our pay.

doesnt everyone?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The problem lies in how the equipment is used and the gung ho mindset which is great for the Marines, but not so good for Joe the local policeman.

2) shooting dogs
3) the "at least the officer made it home safe" mindset.  You want to play fucking army, guess what; I was told in boot camp my job might require me to be in danger and possibly die.   You want to claim you're not a civilian, then stop treating it like any other civilian job.
4) no knock raids (hell any raid where you invade someone's home should be done as the last resort)
5) the "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride" attitude.  Some cops feels like you don't respect him so he fucks with you simply because he can.  
6) lack of accountability for errors, in effect we pay for their fuckups with our tax money.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but his article pretends the issue is about equipment.  Its the same dodge SOME LEO's on this site use as well.
Wear all the cargo pants you want, just don't kick in my door, shoot my dog, flashbang/shoot my kid, etc....

I'm not anti-cop but I am anti-strawman.   Discuss the real problems, not the made up shit linked that no one with a brain gives 2 shits about.   I'm better armed than 90% of cops.  

And yes, I thought it was a troll thread too.   I'm taking the OP at his word that it wasn't his intention.

eta: Almost forgot asset forfeiture laws.   Fuck anyone (cop or not) who supports that bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An excellent read.

2) shooting dogs

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you must be REALLY pissed at all those oil field workers, right out of high school making more then 100k a year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When oil field workers collect that at the point of a gun than yeah I would be less than pleased with them also, but since their wage is based on voluntary actions of others than I wish them the best and hope they make as much as they can.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't understand the mindset here.  There are hundreds of professions out there, yet there are a shit ton of LE threads in GD, why?  There's already an LE specific forum.

Does the profession help people? Sure, so do researchers, doctors, engineers, etc. all working towards improving the safety and quality of products we consume or coming up with solutions and treatments to help us live longer, healthier lives.

Is it because the profession is dangerous?  Sure, so is being in the logging industry, a fisherman, and working construction. In fact, police...even firefighters don't even make it in the top 10 of the deadliest jobs.

So we have this big circle jerk in a bait thread that wants a one way conversation, but what the hell is with this desperate need for attention based on your job?  If someone is humble and happens to say they're a cop, oh cool I do a different kind of work I do _____. I can respect that and think that's good to hear.

Your profession is just one of many, get off the high horse, when someone has a constant need for attention and validation that alone could make me hate someone no matter what type of job they do.

View Quote

most of the cop threads in GD are started by cop haters not cops
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
20 pages and it isn't locked and as far as I know..no one has been booted either.
View Quote

STOP TROLLING MEE!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit, this isn't the GD I grew up with.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When oil field workers collect that at the point of a gun than yeah I would be less than pleased with them also, but since their wage is based on voluntary actions of others than I wish them the best and hope they make as much as they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

never had to get my paycheck at the point of a gun.
they just direct deposit it into my account every other week.

ETA: seems you are in the .mil, and your avatar is attempting to collect your wage at the point of a MACHINE gun
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA: seems you are in the .mil, and your avatar is attempting to collect your wage at the point of a MACHINE gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use the IRS agents to collect those wages at the point of gun; but that is what taxes and required fees are essentially money taken via the threat to use force

If you ever issued a ticket or seized property than yes you have taken wages with a gun.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We use the IRS agents to collect those wages at the point of gun; but that is what taxes and required fees are essentially money taken via the threat to use force

If you ever issued a ticket or seized property than yes you have taken wages with a gun.  
View Quote

oh god the butthurt
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

If someone goes to school for a decade and ends up making less than a cop all I can say is........

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm feeling oppressed while reading this thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

oh god the butthurt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh god the butthurt

Just intellectually honest, something many of you fail to be.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I DO NOT CONSENT TO SEARCH!!!!!

LET GO OF MY PURSE! I DON'T KNOW YOU!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know my rights, mannnnnnnn.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll have to troll harder next time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Says you need 60 credits with a 2.0 average now Sorry but I'd rather hire a kid who spent two years pumping gas out of high school, he'd at least appreciate benefits and a raise. What good is someone who squeaked out a 2.0 at a community college  
View Quote

They hired me when I was mopping hospital floors two years out of HS.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Interesting article....

However....(probably covered in the 20 pages above)

the way things are going with ISIS these days, a terror cell might very well be an unknowing cop’s next warrant
View Quote

I think that spells out the problem....when departments allow officers to treat EVERY warrant like it might be a terrorist cell (or protect those that do so)....no knock entry, overwhelming force...based on a 'confidential informant's tip' (and that individual is pretty much untrustworthy by definition)...and finds no drugs...or shoots a grandmother...or even has the wrong house.     Then there is a problem.      A lot of the article (I made a quick skim, and I'll read further in depth later) is about how bad some criminals can be, and is based on the author's military experience.      Never been in the military (or an LEO) myself, but I don't think the rules of engagement are generally 'kick in the door and shoot anyone who moves' in places like Afghanistan....

He's right...I can own lots and lots of fun toys....pay enough tax to the government and I could have a tank, rockets, machine guns, etc....but I can't roll down the street and use the Tanks 120mm cannon to smash in his door because his dog crapped in my yard again....

Strangely, though...I don't mind the LEOs having military equipment, etc....and using military tactics when they are justified.      It's when they use them just because they're there that it causes problems.....treat it like a court of law...if there's not enough evidence ('beyond a reasonable doubt') to justify use of military tactics...then don't use them until you get enough evidence.    

My theory (for LEOs here)...if it makes your job easier, it's probably unconstitutional.....

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He was not trolling.  He simply reminded everyone to stay within the COC.  That rule applies to every thread in the forum.  Always has.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was not trolling.  He simply reminded everyone to stay within the COC.  That rule applies to every thread in the forum.  Always has.

So starting a troll thread then stating that everyone should stay within COC negates the fact that it's a troll thread?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, so there was no need to say it in the original post.  Everyone should be mindful of the COC all the time.  Also, he was not reminding everyone.

This "warning" was directed at certain members.  He even called them anti-cop, which is actually false.  Yes, there are folks on here that always show up to and start threads about bad cops behaving badly and complaining about cop salaries, pensions, etc.  However, these folks are anti-bad cop and against government spending.  They are not anti-cop.  The anti-cop posters that do show up and violate the COC are shown the door.
Page / 37
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top