Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 9:22:12 AM EDT
Been shooting .22 Colibris in the backyard. (.22LR primer only, no gunpowder)

Have a little shooting gallery set up.

Had a bad shot and hit a metal post holding up the target.

Heard the ricochet whizz past close.

The one on the left, the metal poles are very close to the target clay.

I threw it in the trash, not worth the risk.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Yeah, tell me about it.    I took a  230gr 45 ball round to the stomach about 8 years ago when I decided to shoot bowling ball.  I don't care what anyone says about knock down being a myth -- it hit me on the solar plexus and knocked me to my knees.  I nearly passed out and spent the rest of the weekend nursing a welt the size of a fist.

Stupid bowling ball !   I'm going to use a bigger round next time !
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Wear eyepro and quit being a sissy.  It happens on a long enough timeline.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quick, buy a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Excuse to buy more expensive optics for your .22 since it just became a 2-way range?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a fragment hit me on the cheek just under the left eye once when shooting steel. It bleed and everything. Eye pro is a must with steel targets.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Caught a ricochet in the shin from one if those once. Friend was doing the shooting. It stung a little but mostly just scared me.  

Pro-tip: Don't shoot a wooden fence from < 4ft away with a Colibri. It'll come back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been hit with Super Colibri many times, it does do that  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I got hit with a 22lr fragment the other day shooting at a spinner target. I won't get that close again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a boneyard on our farm when I was a kid. Old implements, parts, etc. There was a mostly destroyed 72 Malibu that sat out yhere slowly returning to the earth
One day I thought I'd give it helpful nudge by shooting out the tires with my 10-22 when I was taking a shoot walk.

Nailed that tire right agout the crown from 100 yards and about pissed myself when i felt and heard that bullet come back and miss my right ear by less than an inch.

Like that guy in yhe video that shot his own ear pro off with the .50 ricochet, I decided right there that I "won't be doin' that no more"!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wear eyepro and quit being a sissy.  It happens on a long enough timeline.
View Quote

This.

Eta...ricochets from shooting weird targets made shooting fun for me again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]

I've been hit with ricochets 3 times.  Been shooting a long time.

Worse and craziest was shooting 45 at paper with a dirt bank back stop.  Well one time out of 20,000 times a 45FMJ went into the back and some how found a way to come right back and hit me in the right thigh.  Felt like I had been hit with a really fast and small fast ball.  Just bruised me and was sore for a while.  It was a case of doing everything right and somehow a bullet came back.  I assume the bullet must have it a rock exactly the right shape and angle to turn it around right back at me.

They don't say wear eye protection for nothing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, tell me about it.    I took a  230gr 45 ball round to the stomach about 8 years ago when I decided to shoot bowling ball.  I don't care what anyone says about knock down being a myth -- it hit me on the solar plexus and knocked me to my knees.  I nearly passed out and spent the rest of the weekend nursing a welt the size of a fist.

View Quote

Got nailed by a .45 ACP ricochet myself.

Fortunatley, I was wearing insulated bibs, a Carhart jacket over it and wool longjohns underneath.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Took a .45 ricochet to the head a couple years back. I was wearing a hat but it still left a nice mark. Felt like I got bunkered by a paintball.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Been shooting for many many years including many plate shoots and other steel targets .

The ones that throw more splatter seem to be old beat up plates that are concave .

Very low powered rounds (low velocity) seem to bounce back .
I suspect a higher velocity round that has higher rotational speed from the rifling will splatter more completely.

Worst thump I ever took was when I was messing about with some very low powered reloads in .44 . I believe I had the 240 gr bullets going about 450fps . I was shooting into a dirt bank and hit a concrete culvert end wall about 50 feet away . I saw the bullet coming back at my face and spun away from it but even in my younger years was no nija . It thumped me in the upper arm with nothing but a thin cotton tee .
Never cut the shirt but got a big lump and a 5" diameter blue green black bruise . Ouchy

Steel BBs will "put your eye out" better to let the kid have a pellet gun than the old school bb gun .

Be carefull of low powered rounds .

Always wear your eyepro when shooting .
Don't be the guy at the steel match waiting to shoot NOT faceing the targets.

Most dangerous part of any decent run match is still driving to get to it and back home
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Good learning experience.  No metal target stands and anything metal should be at an angle such that a ricochet strikes the ground (and stays there).  Use wood or even PVC for target stands.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a couple similar experiences with Colibri on little steel targets from Wal-Mart.  I decided to shoot paper and cans, bottles, etc. instead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The wife caught a ricochet in the leg a while back...didn't penetrate, but did break the skin. Looked like someone shot her on bare skin with a paintball gun. Couldn't imagine if that was an eye. Needless to say we're pretty religious about eye protection now
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
This video is really old, but it still makes my butt pucker.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I took a 230gr LRN to the forehead shooting at bowling pins a few years ago.  Missed the pin, must have hit a rock in the berm, the LRN flattened and came straight back at me.  I had just enough time to thing to myself "What is Tha- Whack!"  Hit just above my left eyebrow.  I almost went to my knees, and still managed to keep my Sig pointed down range (it still had 4 rounds in it.)  Luckily, part of my ancestry is Scot and Irish, so my head is pretty hard.  

ETA:  It gave me a pretty good goose egg on my forehead for about a week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Seen it happen a few times at public ranges someone always shows up with a homemade steel target to shoot at and plinks away with a 22 at it.
Yesterday they showed up with 2 nice thick 1/2 inch targets and started plinking away when i asked them to stop for a minute they just looked at me like i was nuts "i just wanted time to move my truck and find cover"

The best one i witnessed a few years ago was shooting it with steel shot out of a 12 gauge, they cleared the firing line really fast, no one got hit but you could hear pellets hitting all around us.
It seems to happen a lot more with fixed steel targets not the ones hanging from chains.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This video is really old, but it still makes my butt pucker.

http://youtu.be/0ABGIJwiGBc
View Quote

That's what I was waiting for.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I have bleed from ricochets. People shooting shitty steel with under powered loads in revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Neat huh?

I always get a little tingle when I'm out in the woods/ desert shooting and someone's ricochet wizzes past me.

At our city range the lanes are separated by an 8" berm, Dozens of rounds wiz feet over your head......thrilling to the initiated, frightening to the uninitiated...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Neat huh?

I always get a little tingle when I'm out in the woods/ desert shooting and someone's ricochet wizzes past me.

At our city range the lanes are separated by an 8" berm, Dozens of rounds wiz feet over your head......thrilling to the initiated, frightening to the uninitiated...
View Quote

You need better berms. 8 inches is way to low.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a ricochet whiz over my head one day in a grocery store parking lot. Gang shootout across the street at Taco Bell. I waited behind a car until the shooting stopped the got the heck out of there.  Probably a dozen rounds were exchanged.  At first I thought the bank next to Taco Smell was being robbed.

Stopped going there after that.  Albertson's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Got hit just over the belly button with a .38 ricochet. Didn't hurt much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Just figured out what is going on. I have been struggling to hit anything today and looked at the box, it says 'Super Colibri'

Everything else is 'Colibri' and that is what I sighted in with.

The boxes look identical except for the working.

Went back to regular Colibris and am nailing everything I aim at again.

Gotta keep a closer eye on what I am buying.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#29]
7.62X54R jacket decided to come back at me after i stupidly shot a steel plate at 45 yards. it stuck in mt skin and even burned around the cut  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69692

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I was at a cowboy shoot.   Heard a ricochet then I got hit in the gut.  Walked away with the bullet and a small bruise.   .45 long colt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is now depressing because Daisy stole my invention.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have some metal pellet traps that are fine for Colibris.

The damn Super Colibri's put some good size dents in the back of them.

The super collieries were hitting a little low compared to the Colibris that is probably why I hit the metal pole.

Gotta pay more attention.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat huh?

feet
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I was shooting a suppressed Uzi in a basement.  Some of the walls were lined with sandbags.  I had a ricochet come right back at me.

It looked about the size of a softball and it seemed like it took ten seconds before it hit me.  I just couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

It hit me in the right wrist and left a decent bruise.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
7.62X54R jacket decided to come back at me after i stupidly shot a steel plate at 45 yards. it stuck in mt skin and even burned around the cut  

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/evnash/media/5bc06d24.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/evnash/5bc06d24.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/evnash/media/308585b5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/evnash/308585b5.jpg</a>
View Quote

wow you got lucky. i only shoot pistol at 10 yards and farther and rifle at 200 yards and farther.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#37]
So Colibri and Super Colibri are primer only, no gunpowder.

What makes the Super Colibri more powerful? Different primer?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69692

View Quote

Get target from trash
Pull out metal legs
Replace with wood dowls from Lowes
???
Profit??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Someone here lost all respect for me because one of my 45 rounds came back and hit a friend in the dick.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
yeah, for  conical projectile to hit a round surface and come straight back, that's pretty much impossible. you have the worst luck...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top