Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:11 AM EDT
Just bought an item (an expensive item) from an online manufacturer.  When I received it I found that the seal/label placed on the box by the manufacturer had already been broken.  I am assuming the vendor opened the box to check everything out prior to shipping...Everything that is supposed to be in the box is in there, but me being the OCD type person that I am, is slightly bothered by this mainly because it leaves me wondering if it was a return or a display model.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell yeah it would bother me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.
I paid for "new", not "used and returned".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Briefly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes and no, depends on the item.  I have personally paid extra for some expensive online items that were opened by the seller, where the seller tested and verified the product prior to shipping.

Zach
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just bought an item (an expensive item) from an online manufacturer.  When I received it I found that the seal/label placed on the box by the manufacturer had already been broken.  I am assuming the vendor opened the box to check everything out prior to shipping...Everything that is supposed to be in the box is in there, but me being the OCD type person that I am, is slightly bothered by this mainly because it leaves me wondering if it was a return or a display model.

View Quote

Mystery item again.  Expensive mystery item.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

You are a very optimistic person;  I like you

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#7]
It would totally depend what it was .

A set of combination wrenches ? No problem.

An electronic multi-meter or a complete engine gasket set ? Yeah . . . . I dont want it .
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yeah it would bother me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
That's usually called an "open box" item...and should have a considerable discount if you choose to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rifle scope...an expensive one...Im actually pretty pissed and would normally send it back but I bought this scope specifically for an upcoming trip (leaving Tuesday) and if I ship it back Im SOL for the trip...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]
On everything except food. I like the added danger

In your situation, if everything looked and worked OK I'd probably not go through the hassle of sending it back, but I think I too would assume it was a return/display and be annoyed about it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#12]
That's so annoying
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You paid retail for a return, that pisses me off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid for new I expect new .  A simple explanation my be they took it out of the box and used it for pictures .
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
You mean, like a hymen?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yup.
I paid for "new", not "used and returned".
View Quote

Recently had a widespread power outage in my area (mine did not go down but know people that were down for days).  Afterward I decided it was due time to get a genset.  Called the local HD/Lowes to ask what they do with all the returned used generators.  Turns out if they are returned as defective, back to the manufacture.  Returned because they are not needed anymore, back on the shelf it goes, AT FULL PRICE.  Gens like the Honda EU2000i run a grand new, ship with no oil in the crank case, purchased by someone with no electricity to research and the ethics of a slug.  No, I'm probably not going to buy that item, even at a discount, let alone full price.

On the other hand, guy I know (with said ethics of a slug) who justifies returning items because they cost $$ and he only needs them one time, once had the hunting/fishing counter pull a fishing reel off the shelf, open it so he could look at and touch it, then requested an unopened box to purchase because this one had now been opened. double
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean, like a hymen?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
rifle scope...an expensive one...Im actually pretty pissed and would normally send it back but I bought this scope specifically for an upcoming trip (leaving Tuesday) and if I ship it back Im SOL for the trip...
View Quote

On that item, I probably wouldn't be to concerned as long as there are no marks from it previously being mounted or dropped.  If you were super concerned, you could unmount it when you get back and if there are no marks, call and let them know you paid for new, not an open box and see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes. A return for a blemish, or someone wanted an upgraded part and replaced it with a cheap part.

I hear about this happening on GB forums, someone buys a rifle just to take advantage of the return policy and get new non broken parts.

Whatever you bought may be fine, but it would bother me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, unless the vendor specifies in advance of sale that they open it to confirm/test/whatever the item.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Open box requires a discount to compensate for the risk.

Home Depot and Lowes here will not take back a generator that has been used, they will only help you arrange for warranty service with the manufacturer.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You mean, like a hymen?
View Quote

Industry found a fix for a broken seal

http://www.hymenshop.com
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Go try to find an air rifle at Academy around here that doesn't have a beat-up box and the blue "return tape" on it!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
How else is the seller supposed to replace the original with a chinese knockoff?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top