With record harvests depressing prices, U.S. farmers are holding tight
to their corn and soybeans and binging on chemicals that protect stored
grain from critters or even leaving corn standing in fields over winter
to avoid storage charges.

Still flush with cash after years of record income and with
shipping rates near record highs, farmers have resources to store grain
rather than sell into a down market.

View Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/mega-harvest-leaves-u-farmers-battling-bugs-storage-120406878--finance.html

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I fucking hate sandbagging to fix races, games, and prices.        

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Prices arE only allowed to go up comrade.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny, usually the .GOV pays them to do this shit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Silver miners are starting to do the same thing. They're sick of the market manipulation of physical objects by paper trades.

Same thing is happening in Argentina where folks don't want pesos and see tangibles as greater than their fiat currency.  As soon as they sell their tangible, they rush out to exchange their pesos for another tangible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry.  Obama will push through more ethanol legislation so we can all have fucked up cars and higher food prices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Most farmers contract a portion of their crop before it even sprouts for a specific delivery(s) past harvest which then requires storage.  This allows them to have operating capital.  If the price for your product is driven down by means beyond your control why would you not store it if it made economic sense to do so?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The chair is against the wall
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why you hate free markets?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
This seems to be less than an ideal situation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most farmers contract a portion of their crop before it even sprouts for a specific delivery(s) past harvest which then requires storage.  This allows them to have operating capital.  If the price for your product is driven down by means beyond your control why would you not store it if it made economic sense to do so?
View Quote

You must have mistaken this place for Arfcom where they support the free market.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must have mistaken this place for Arfcom where they support the free market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, and free market means prices always go up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lower beef prices!

Next year
View Quote

This will probably not happen.

As far as being flush with money from previous years, that's nonsense. Highest ever land prices, rent prices, and input costs. Not to mention anyone that had extra money probably used it to update equipment which is also stupid expensive.

PS I am not defending big grain farmers. I'm just a small dairy farmer, but I know how it works. Farmers spend money, they dont often save it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Good, now we can start withholding farm subsidies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Local elevators are still full of wheat, trains rather haul crude oil than grain.  Already piling corn on the ground, and harvest has just started.  Going to be lots of spoilage of corn.  Any farmer, with a grain, can store a years worth of crop, only way to protect yourself.  Corn in South Dakota is under $2 due to no place to store it.  You go broke selling corn for less than $4.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I was wondering why I saw fields of corn and soybean last weekend still standing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good, now we can start withholding farm subsidies.
View Quote

LDP's?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Time to cut all ethanol support, get that nasty shit out of the gasoline.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AnticitizenFreeMarketOne:
View Quote

Their grain, their rules.........

Comrade
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was wondering why I saw fields of corn and soybean last weekend still standing.
View Quote

You harvest based on moisture level. Too wet and you'll waste money trying to dry it and / or take a hit in price when delivered.

It could also be due to a lack of storage space. No one actually wants to store it on farm; the longer you store it, the lower the quality and the lower the payment. But the fact is elevator space is limited, and you do what you have to to protect your grain until you can deliver and get paid.

The record harvest of corn is no joke; I know one farmer who has seen yields of 230+ bushels per acre. Compare that to three years ago at the height of the drought when they were lucky to see 80.

The assumption that they are choosing to hold onto it because prices are down is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#21]
interesting deer corn is still 7.50 a bag
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#22]
There's an empty lot in a neighboring town with a mountain of corn on the ground.  I mean, 5-6 two story homes piled together worth.

No room in the bins, so it sits outside and rots.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
             CHICAGO (Reuters) - With record harvests depressing prices, U.S. farmers are holding tight to their corn and soybeans and binging on chemicals that protect stored grain from critters or even leaving corn standing in fields over winter to avoid storage charges.

Still flush with cash after years of record income and with shipping rates near record highs, farmers have resources to store grain rather than sell into a down market.

View Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/mega-harvest-leaves-u-farmers-battling-bugs-storage-120406878--finance.html

View Quote

Pretty much par for the course most year with the corn farmers I know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone is making money.  A bushel of ear corn weighs 70 lbs. (at 15% moisture) and is currently worth between $3 and $4.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As far as being flush with money from previous years, that's nonsense. Highest ever land prices, rent prices, and input costs. Not to mention anyone that had extra money probably used it to update equipment which is also stupid expensive.

PS I am not defending big grain farmers. I'm just a small dairy farmer, but I know how it works. Farmers spend money, they dont often save it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lower beef prices!

Next year

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Comrade
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Comrade

But doesn't my tax money still go to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Only in your mind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Two thoughts on the matter:

1:  Farmers who owe their lenders on the crop will be forced to sell, likely before 12 months.

2.  No for profit business would sell their product for a lower profit (or loss), if they had the option of delaying the     sale for a more favorable market, at a later time.

ETA:  One more thought:  Unless they plan on ceasing production, these farmers' maxed out grain storage facilities will have to be emptied before the 2015 crop is harvested, or they will be forced to sell one of the crops ('14 or '15) at whatever the harvest price is next fall.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats cheap. At a neighboring gas station it's $12 for a 70 lb bag. The flat landers buy it on thier way to their camps in Tioga and Potter Counties.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
You should sell me all your ARs now for $350 since the market is down and I want one.  

Don't want to be a fucking sandbagger do you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#31]
So they want to screw the consumer after they have already screwed the tax payer on farm subsidies
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Corn here was $3.20ish, "deer corn" about $4.50 - $5.00, bagged.
You can get a PU bed filled pretty cheap in the field..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Beef prices are high as cattle ranchers in the northern plains are not shipping much to market as they rebuild their herd which were devastated in winter storm a year or two ago.  At least that is what I heard on a radio farm talk show in August when I was out there.  You don't rebuild a herd of beef cattle overnight it is a years long process.  Less beef means less need for feed means grain surpluses.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
             CHICAGO (Reuters) - With record harvests depressing prices, U.S. farmers are holding tight to their corn and soybeans and binging on chemicals that protect stored grain from critters or even leaving corn standing in fields over winter to avoid storage charges.

Still flush with cash after years of record income and with shipping rates near record highs, farmers have resources to store grain rather than sell into a down market.

View Quote

View Quote

Since there's such a large surplus that they can leave a year's harvest unsold I'd imagine prices aren't going to raise next year.  Kind of puts the lie to "the planet can't feed all of us".

Screw farm subsidies that encourage bad decisions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Local elevators are still full of wheat, trains rather haul crude oil than grain.  Already piling corn on the ground, and harvest has just started.  Going to be lots of spoilage of corn.  Any farmer, with a grain, can store a years worth of crop, only way to protect yourself.  Corn in South Dakota is under $2 due to no place to store it.  You go broke selling corn for less than $4.
View Quote

Same in Mo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Commodity prices fluctuate.

People naturally try to take advantage of these fluctuations.

I sold CORN short about 3 months ago.  A successful speculation is a thing of beauty.

Even a moderately successful speculation is a thing of beauty.

Those long CORN now have had a few up days since I covered.  

But not enough to tempt me to go long.  Not yet, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Comrade
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Comrade

End their subsidies and you may have a point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#39]
They own it, they can sell it when they want to do so. Bitching that they won't sell now at a price you like is awfully communistic.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Man, I need to go back home and shoot some geese and cranes.

If they're just leaving corn standing, it will be a turkey shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Here are two pie charts which represent how your tax money is spent in the Farm Bill.

The chart on the left is indicative of the Farm Bill which expired in 2012 but carried on until the new 2014 Farm Bill was passed earlier this year.  It is represented in the chart on the right.

I'd like to draw your attention to two items. The "Nutrition" component is what is commonly known as Food Stamps.  The part most Arfcomers seem to begrudge Farmers on is called Commodities.  It is important to note that beginning this year, no grain farmers receive any direct payments from the Farm Service Agency, and the programs that encouraged under production of grains ended in the 1980's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

$3.49 here, all day long.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Oil tankers are taking priority over farm products. Building a pipeline would help move the oil.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#44]
But didn't AGW believers say we were going to have worse crops??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought some massive, well-marbled ribeyes for $6.97/lb the other day, too.

The sky is not falling.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But didn't AGW believers say we were going to have worse crops??
View Quote

Norman Borlaug makes AGW his bitch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The sky is not falling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sky is not falling.

Beef is way up here, but I'm probably going to buy a side or a quarter soon. My dad's partner at work is a cattleman. He just sold 145 head at a tick over $900 each.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#48]
American grain is sold on a worldwide market, therefore the price is influenced by things all over the world; it doesnt just have to do with large production here at home
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://fresnostate.edu/jcast/cati/images/updateimages/2014-summer/Farm%20bill%20spending%20levels.jpg

Here are two pie charts which represent how your tax money is spent in the Farm Bill.

The chart on the left is indicative of the Farm Bill which expired in 2012 but carried on until the new 2014 Farm Bill was passed earlier this year.  It is represented in the chart on the right.

I'd like to draw your attention to two items. The "Nutrition" component is what is commonly known as Food Stamps.  The part most Arfcomers seem to begrudge Farmers on is called Commodities.  It is important to note that beginning this year, no grain farmers receive any direct payments from the Farm Service Agency, and the programs that encouraged under production of grains ended in the 1980's.
View Quote

Get the fuck outta here with your "facts"

This is GD, where emotional retards collide headfirst with the internet!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top