Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time I spoke to my sister was at our mother's funeral in '99,   I told her to go her ass back to Texas, and if I ever saw her again, I'd kill her.  I haven't seen or heard from her since.
View Quote

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a great relationship with my sister.  Unfortunately, she has a son she lets run wild.  After several incidents, including several instances of being out in public with him and him engaging in egregious misbehavior, which I corrected (because they just watched it and did nothing) and my sister and BiL got angry about, I only see her rarely.
I don't want our relationship to be the way it is, but I'm not going to be a hostage to a poorly behaved child with parents in denial.

This started when their son was about 4.   He's almost 12 now.  

I see her on holidays and family gatherings, so maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My older brother lives 15 minutes away.
We may speak to each other once or maybe twice in a year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
After my Mom died, my brother decided to remove himself from the family.
I don't think about it too much.  If he doesn't want contact with my Dad or Me, then so be it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh I haven't talked to my mother in over 5yrs.

Just because they're blood related doesn't give them the right to treat you however they want.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My sister in law tells my brother what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. In her greed, she orchestrated a plan which cheated family members out of money and goods, thus creating a huge rift within the family structure. I'm pissed at him more for not having the guts to put her in her place, than being cheated to what I was owed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My sister freaked out when my parents died.  I have not talked to her in over 10 years, and don't miss the drama one bit.  

Blood may be thicker than water, but life's too damn short to spend it around people who don't only not make you happy, but cause you stress.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I only have one sibling, an older sister.  We went through some fairly tough times together when we were young, especially when my parents divorced.  She lives out of town, and we usually only talk when she comes in to town, about every other week, but we can call and talk about damn near anything at any time.  We have our differences, but we (at least, I) actively try to be considerate of each other, avoid conflict with each other, and forgive one another if things get out of hand.  Our relationship is more important than petty differences.  

This is my behavior with, and expectation of, all of my family and friends.  We all have enough grief in our lives.  Don't go around causing it in others' lives, especially people you care about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a cordial relationship with my sister at best. When my parents are gone I probably won't talk to her much at all. She generally is immature, makes poor choices, is obnoxious as fuck when she drinks, and smokes weed. Somehow manages a decent job, but not somebody I care to be around. Maybe if she grows up one day...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have not spoke to my brother in over year. He and his wife got their panties in a knot because my wife and his ex are still friends. They broke off communications. If he and his wife are that petty I don't need them in my life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

a phone call from my dad got me thinking and wondering. i haven't talked to one of my sisters in about a year. We stopped talking after she asked me to choose between her and my other sister, my other sister wouldn't have asked, so i made my choice.

dad said on the phone that she told him she is concerned for me. he gave her my home address and the name of where i work, apparently the only thing he didn't give her was my current cell phone number.  
so, am i fucked up, or does anybody else have siblings they would rather not have any contact with?
View Quote

I have two sisters, one 10 years older and one a year younger and a brother 11 years older.  I talk to my brother every day and he's in another state.  My two sisters I could not care less if I ever talked to them again.  I maybe hear from them once every year or so.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I only talk to my sister at Christmas when I see her, we don't hate each other but just have nothing in common.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife and her parents have completely broken off contact.  After growing tension for several months and a really nasty argument, they parted ways.  That was almost two years ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't seen my sister in about 15 years, since she and her husband fled to who-knows-where for whatever reasons.

I suspect it has something to do with money since I have heard from from people claiming they are owed money from my sister and her husband.

Some of the people seeking money have been individuals and others have been legitimate loans, where my sister and her husband apparently put my phone number on a credit app.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not saying this is your situation, OP.

But it saddens me to watch two folks, each expecting the other to reach out, never connect.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#16]
It is tough when they are family but some bonds that have been broken are not repairable.  Just because you are blood relatives does not mean you are compatible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one brother and one sister. I don't talk to either one.

Or is it they don't talk to me

Maybe I'm the crazy one.

We have nothing to talk about, our family is all gone so no reason to get together.

I have my own family that gives me everything I need or want in close personal connections, I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But it saddens me to watch two folks, each expecting the other to reach out, never connect.
View Quote

nope, she tries to reach out, fakes being a decent human being for about a week and then it is the same situation as before. i have accepted the fact that she is as compassionate as a wounded badger and have given up on trying to deal with her antics. i would just prefer is dad stop giving her my contact info, like we have talked about, multiple times.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The last time I spoke to my sister was at our mother's funeral in '99,   I told her to go her ass back to Texas, and if I ever saw her again, I'd kill her.  I haven't seen or heard from her since.
View Quote

I don't think I ever knew she was in Texas.  Anywhere near me?  I would be pleased as punch if I happened to know her and dislike her as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a major pos brother....looong story, haven't talked to him in 5 years and don't plan to ever again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my sisters and we have SUCH a great time when we get together.  

That said, I don't buy into the *blood before everything else* line of thinking.  If things had worked out differently and they'd turned into shit heads I'd have no problem cutting them out of my life.  

My dad is a real piece of work and I speak less than a dozen words to him a year and only that if we happen to run into each other at a family thing.  I sleep just fine at night.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a half brother and sister I haven't seen in over 10 years.
They were both paycheck babies for their mothers.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#23]
My brother and I were estranged for more than 27 years, until his death this past March.
He was a selfish man...one who was mean and cruel.

I felt nothing when he died.

I have another brother and we are close. Can't imagine not talking to him for more than a week.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#24]
My brother and I don't speak very often, but it's because he travels extensively for work.  I see him when he's in town.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#25]
My sister has been a monumental pain in the ass to my family for the past 35 years. Pick any stressful event and odds are it's due to something she's done.

I talk to her for about a minute every Christmas...that's it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Man you guys got some family issues to work out, it kind of makes me sad to see some of these posts.

I love seeing my mom and my sister.
View Quote
From what everyone is saying, that is because your mom and sister are not lying, manipulative, drug-abusing, criminal, selfish dirtbags.

Count yourself lucky.

I don't think I would be OK with not talking to my mom, brother, or sister.  We talk once every two or three weeks or so.

This thread makes me glad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

From what everyone is saying, that is because your mom and sister are not lying, manipulative, drug-abusing, criminal, selfish dirtbags.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man you guys got some family issues to work out, it kind of makes me sad to see some of these posts.

Count yourself lucky.

I don't think I would be OK with not talking to my mom, brother, or sister.  We talk once every two or three weeks or so.

Regardless of bloodline, people are people...some are great, some are not...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I shared a room with my brother until we were almost teenagers, and I only speak to him on holidays when he calls our parents. There is no animosity, just the fact that are very different people leading very different lives. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having him in my life, and I'm sure he feels the same.

I'll probably see him when our folks die, and that's about it. We can argue about who has to take the huge antique cabinets and tables that neither of us have room for, as the rest of their estate will go to a charitable trust.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#30]
There's a big difference between relatives and family.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Haven't spoken to my dad in 15 years. He always treated me like shit, once he started it with my daughter I cut off all contact.

Not sure what it is about me but I can do nothing right, that's not just me, brothers and sisters have said that for some reason he's singled me out. Doesn't matter how much of a loser someone else is in the family, it's all good with him. Fucker used to drive 20 miles out of his way to see if I was mowing my lawn, he did this several times per week

I've got a really good job but I hear through the grapevine that he's just sure I'm going to fuck it up and get fired. I've never come close to getting fired in my 25 years of working and yet the asshole just knows I'm going to fuck it up.

Family don't' mean shit to me, I've got good friends I don't have time for that wouldn't treat me like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Didn't talk to my brother for about a year because of his bad habits.   He died last February last time we spoke wasn't nice. Now I'm seriously regretting it
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have little to no contact with my brother due to his cunt wife.  I am okay with this.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I have 3 older brothers and one older sister.

I rarely talk to any of them, I was the 'oops' baby quite a bit younger than them, never really grew up with them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Have not spoken to my brother in about a year. I only hear from him when he needs something.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Sure.  I have relatives who avoid me and I have no issue with that.  There are relatives with whom I refrain from any contact either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Stopped talking to my former brother back in Aug of 2012 and have no intent of ever speaking with him again.
He is a POS who screwed me over on a business deal that we had worked on together for over two years.
Sadly it was not the first time he screwed me on money as he ripped our sister and I off on a house back in 1998.

I have looked back at how the douche treated me my entire life and life is better without him but I do miss
my two nieces and two nephews. PS he also married a psycho bitch who drove a wedge between our family
and my former brother.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Count yourself lucky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Count yourself lucky.

MillerSHO is an example of someone who has good family. They believe blood is thicker than water and blame the rest of us for not working out "family issues".

Don't be sad MillerSHO, we are all perfectly fine with it. Haven't spoken to my sister in over 10 years. I won't be pissing on her grave only because it isn't worth the time and effort to do so. If I die first she won't be receiving an invitation to my funeral. In fact, I will pay my friends to stand as armed guards so she won't be able to sneak in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

nope, she tries to reach out, fakes being a decent human being for about a week and then it is the same situation as before. i have accepted the fact that she is as compassionate as a wounded badger and have given up on trying to deal with her antics. i would just prefer is dad stop giving her my contact info, like we have talked about, multiple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully understand where you're coming from.

My mother never stopped loving her sisters, but... she finally came to a point where she realized it was healthier to just love them from a distance and minimize her contact with them.  Even then, she still maintained some contact with them, but even that limited contact was at times poisonous.

I lost count of how many times her sisters tried to pull her into their mind games of "who did what", reinventing family history, spreading vicious lies about each other, etc.  Mom wanted nothing to do with that kind of behavior.  So she chose to let them play the back-stabbing game amongst themselves and lived her own life.  She still loved them but didn't want to let them hurt her.

Frankly I think she ended up being the happiest one of them all.

So yes, it's OK to restrict contact with family, especially when it's to protect yourself from spite and harm.

Thank you for finding the almost-perfect words to describe my aunts.  I crossed out the ones that don't fit - cos I wouldn't call them dirtbags, and because they weren't abusing drugs or breaking the law.  They were, however lying, manipulative, and selfish.

One of the major reasons why my sister and I get along is because Mom refused to let us fight.  She didn't want her home to turn into what she had left behind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well you are lucky. I have very little communication with my family at all because they are liars, cheats, and thieves. I cannot afford to have my children around such trash.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I can go a year without talking to my brother.  We only have a few things in common.  It's not that I actively avoid him.

View Quote

It's the same way with my sister. We only talk around the Holidays and when I'm visiting my folks. She is almost 50 and still lives off our parents.

I moved away and have done my own thing for almost 20 years...........
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I talk to my brother at Christmas. I don't answer calls from him. Wouldn't piss on him.
He's sick and if he dies before my parents I will only go to the funeral for them.
Don't feel bad. The old "blood is thicker than water" is a bullshit saying thought up by the very people who others do not want to get involved with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't have a relationship with my mother.  She has an undiagnosed mental issue that makes her unbearable.  She was abusive to me and my sisters when we were little and refuses to admit it, apologize for it, or do anything but make up BS to justify her actions.  She burns through friends by telling lies and manipulating people.  We have had several family meetings where we addressed these issues and nothing has improved.  We have encouraged her to seek counseling and she refuses.  If it were not so aggravating, it would be sad.

Combine this with an overly religious zealotry, and it is a mix for disaster.  She will call up my sisters and tell them that she has received spiritual revelations or had dreams where she has had angelic visitations, but then the information that she "received" is incorrect, or is suspiciously self-serving.

I believe in Family, forgiveness and all of that, but life is too short to associate with broken people who refuse to do anything to improve themselves.

If what you are experiencing is anything similar, then I cannot tell you that keeping that person at arms length, or not having a relationship at all is a bad idea.

I know it sucks man.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My oldest sister and I haven't spoke in over 15 years.
View Quote

Pfffft....I have spoken to mine in over 30.  I'll go to my grave having not spoken to that bitch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can go a year without talking to my brother.  We only have a few things in common.  It's not that I actively avoid him.  
View Quote

Same here.  I don't avoid my brother, but we don't get together very often.  Of course his wife keeps him away from almost all of our family and she doesn't associate with her siblings either.  She is a weird bitch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#46]
My sister steals and lies . I never want to see her again. Yesterday my mom called and started telling me about her and her kids . I stopped her and explained to her I am okay with not knowing anything about them .
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't speak to my family and we live on the same tract of farm land.

Fuck em.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh, I haven't talked to my sister in 3 or 4 years now. I'm pretty sure she has a kid now...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Nope, I care about the family I chose; friends, loved ones. Not bs blood, 1/2 my blood relatives are thieves and fools.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
My baby sister was just like the girl in Black Crows song, "She Talks To Angels". Her problems were all the result of her methamphetamine addiction and the scumbags she hung out with.

She died of an overdose in a truck stop in Amarillo, TX on Halloween Night about 3 years ago...(I couldn't make this up if I tried...) I had already stopped taking her calls a few months before she killed herself because the only time she'd call was when she'd been up for 3 or 4 days without sleep on a meth binge, usually hallucinating

I still miss her sometimes. But I'd already missed her a long time because she was already gone long before she died.

This one's for you, Angela...sweet dreams baby girl.

"She Talks To Angels"

She never mentions the word addiction
In certain company
Yes, she'll tell you she's an orphan
After you meet her family

She paints her eyes as black as night now
Pulls those shades down tight
She gives a smile when the pain come
The pain gonna make everything alright

Says she talks to angels
They call her out by her name
She talks to angels
Says they call her out by her name

She keeps a lock of hair in her pocket
She wears a cross around her neck
Yes, the hair is from a little boy
And the cross is someone she has not met
Not yet

Says she talks to angels
Says they all know her name
She talks to angels

She don't know no lover
None that I ever seen
Yeah, to her that ain't nothin'
But to me, yeah me
Means everything

She paints her eyes as black as night now
She pulls those shades down tight
...there's a smile when the pain comes
The pain gonna make everything alright
Alright.

She talks to angels
Oh, yeah, angels
Call her out by her name
Oh, angels
You know they call her out by her name?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top