Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2014 3:56:47 AM EDT
a phone call from my dad got me thinking and wondering. i haven't talked to one of my sisters in about a year. We stopped talking after she asked me to choose between her and my other sister, my other sister wouldn't have asked, so i made my choice.

dad said on the phone that she told him she is concerned for me. he gave her my home address and the name of where i work, apparently the only thing he didn't give her was my current cell phone number.  

so, am i fucked up, or does anybody else have siblings they would rather not have any contact with?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I can go a year without talking to my brother.  We only have a few things in common.  It's not that I actively avoid him.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh I haven't talked to my mother in over 5yrs.

Just because they're blood related doesn't give them the right to treat you however they want.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]
EDIT: bad advice, came off as preachy
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a half brother I have not spoken to in over a decade. After the shit he pulled with a car his dad wanted our niece to have, I would not piss on him if he was on fire. Ooohh yeah, and doper big huge doper. Can not face his life after his stroke so he still drinks, chews snuff, but now he smokes weed...all the fucking time. Now that he got a doctor to give him a medical marijuana card I expect him to stay high till he dies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
... No. My 4 brothers are just about all I have left in my life
Bless their hearts, they're all good Republicans too
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
My oldest sister and I haven't spoke in over 15 years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there are all kinds of circumstances for siblings to stop talking, ranging from stupid bullshit to major transgressions, but assuming they didn't kill your parents or something I'd recommend trying to keep the relationship alive as much as you can. You never know when they won't be there anymore. It's got to be hard on parents, too, keep that in mind.
View Quote

um, this falls into the "OR something" mentioned above, and when we talk, all we do is argue and fight.  when we don't talk, we don't argue, or fight. and to be completely honest, i dont really see how it is that hard to keep private information private.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know there are all kinds of circumstances for siblings to stop talking, ranging from stupid bullshit to major transgressions, but assuming they didn't kill your parents or something I'd recommend trying to keep the relationship alive as much as you can. You never know when they won't be there anymore. It's got to be hard on parents, too, keep that in mind.
View Quote

Have you ever had a sibling that wouldn't hesitate to burglarize your home, or steal your vehicle to trade for drugs? To steal from you, your wife and children, the fruits of your hard labor? No? Didn't think so.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you ever had a sibling that wouldn't hesitate to burglarize your home, or steal your vehicle to trade for drugs? To steal from you, your wife and children, the fruits of your hard labor? No? Didn't think so.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't. That's a very valid reason.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
My sister was is a big druggie. Moved her in with me under the premise she gets a job and pays rent. 6600 bucks is what she owes me.  Haven't spoke to her since..One year sober.. She left last Christmas..  Just up and gone.. Fuck her!! I'm happy if I NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER speak with her again.  She will never pay the money she owes me,  so to hell with her...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My sister who's 1.5 years older than me, I avoid with no regrets.

Family member or not, having to walk on egg shells around someone is something I care not to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a half sister (supposedly) that I have never met, probably never will.

Don't really care, she sounded like a total piece of meth head shit.

Shit bags are shit bags regardless of blood relation.

I have family I wont tell where I live....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
As an only child, I obviously never had siblings growing up. I do remember, however, once, when I was with one of my best friends and his brother (all grown-ass adults at this point, mind you) we were standing in the yard talking and my best friend picks up two sticks and hands one to his brother and they start sword fighting - all while still casually maintaining the conversation. It was so natural to them that I immediately got sad and realized that I would never have anything like they did. :(
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Haven't spoken to my siblings in 30 years. Don't even know where they live.
We are not a tight family, and that's fine with me.  The handful of "mandatory" extended-family events we are obligated to attend on my wife's side every year are enough to remind me why limited contact with family members isn't necessarily always a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I am the "baby" at a mere 52 years old, my two sisters are 10 and 12 older then me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#16]
welcome to the club OP
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Haven't talked to my dad in 17 years.  His actions caused it, he can try and fix it.  He hasn't.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a younger brother who went off the deep end.  Only one of my brothers talks to him, the rest he has decided are his enemy for some strange reason.  He got married to a completely crazy liberal with real mental illness issues so we think that has something to do with it.  However, we don't know as nobody really knows her enough to know what the heck she's used to turn him on everyone.    Hes always been a drama queen of epic proportions, but this whole thing just keeps going with him.  I love him as my brother but he's turned into an irrational, bitter, hermit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#19]
The last time I spoke to my sister was at our mother's funeral in '99,   I told her to go her ass back to Texas, and if I ever saw her again, I'd kill her.  I haven't seen or heard from her since.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I have siblings that have died due to accidents and illness, so I don't talk to them any longer.  I do think of them time to time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I go long stretches without talking to my older sister., but mostly it's just life and laziness that gets in the way.  She is an amazing person and we had always gotten along great.  She just has her life, and I have mine, in different states.  It's been close to a year, this time.  

This thread is gonna make me call her tomorrow.

I've been blessed with great family.  I'm sorry not everyone has, but just because they're blood doesn't mean you need to be there..  If someone wrongs me in a bad way, blood or not, they aren't family and I won't talk to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My little brother is 6 years younger than me and my little sister is 12 years younger than me.

When my brother was 14-18, we didn't have that much in common, now that he is 20 and we rent the second house, we found a bunch of stuff in common. We just have very different interests and personalities. My sister and I get along swimmingly, pretty close personality-wise and have some sort of weird mind-link with finishing each other's sentences.

Now my dad doesn't talk to his brothers often and talks to his parents on birthdays. My mom doesn't talk with her sister, but does her half-brother and mother fairly often.

So I can totally understand not talking to some or any siblings. I don't think it is odd, or wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I rarely talk to my siblings. No problem, we get along fine, just live in different states (and countries).

I like them fine, but I have my life they have theirs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one sibling I speak with at all and that is very rare. Last night was a text conversation.
Hey I need to park this trailer and UTV in your driveway while I and so and so go sight in rifles. We will then come get it and go to the land to build the hunting blind.
her ok

I have three other siblings, 2 of whom I haven't spoken a word to in 5 years or more. ! have speak to once a year or so.

There is no animosity between any of us. I just have other stuff to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]
We had a similar thread earlier this year. I cut off contact with my sister almost seven years ago and don't miss her trying to give me a guilty complex. She never accepted that she had to take responsibility for her decisions. My mother. Unfortunately, similar circumstances. Life is full of surprises but you adjust to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Is cutting off communications with siblings an American thing?  A conservative thing?  A gun-nut thing?  Or is it just that this forum is very busy?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#27]
My sister lives 2 miles away.  Haven't talked in a couple years.  She's fuckin crazy and her shitbag husband loves to start family drama.  

Nope nope nope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Wife hasn't talked to oldest brother in a couple of years, younger brother in 5-7 years, and only talks to younger sister a couple of times a year max

My sister and I don't talk real often

Gr
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Two brothers here..Some things in common with both, but outside of being related we have very little in common.  One I had actually stopped talking to for several years as he is just too damn difficult.

In some ways I would prefer to not speak to them as they often times bring up memories from long ago that I simply prefer to not think about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can go a year without talking to my brother.  We only have a few things in common.  It's not that I actively avoid him.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm fine with not talking to my brother. We were never close, have nothing in common.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Not at all abnormal, OP.
I haven't spoken to my sister in over a decade.  My choice, based on her actions.  My mother is the same timeframe, based on the same incidents.  My father and I haven't spoken in almost 20 years, because he is a shitbag.
I had enough drama from my "family" growing up.  I don't want that around my kids and wife.
Occasionally, my wife or my MIL ask if I have considered reaching out to any of them.  My answer is always the same, "it is better the way things are".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Have little to no contact with my brother due to his cunt wife.  I am okay with this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The last time I spoke to my sister was at our mother's funeral in '99,   I told her to go her ass back to Texas, and if I ever saw her again, I'd kill her.  I haven't seen or heard from her since.
View Quote

Damn.....I thought I hated my brother.

I have 3, the oldest is a piece of shit that I wish his hepatitis would finally finish him off.

The two younger ones are rock stars....I wish we lived closer and could see each other more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is cutting off communications with siblings an American thing?  A conservative thing?  A gun-nut thing?  Or is it just that this forum is very busy?
View Quote

8 posts and a gun-nut comment.

I smell a ban waiting to happen
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I have eight siblings. I see them at weddings and funerals or when they need/want something.  Not worth the hassle now that our parents are gone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]
My one brother is a I'm-better-than-you asshole.  Once mom passes away (he lives near her), I doubt I'll bother to drive the three hours to go up & see him.

My sister is a moonbat who thinks our family is supposed to be the Brady Bunch, all loving and gushing all over each other.  We don't even exchange Xmas gifts, b/c she won't do lists of what we want, b/c "we should know & love each other so much we already know what the other person wants."  Don't bother talking with her much.

So no, OP, no sweat if you've blood kin you don't bother talking to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't speak to either of my sisters. We will get along pleasantly enough when they come to town for holidays, but we don't actually like one another so the rest of the year we don't talk.

So I feel bad? It's weird.......I feel bad that I don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just because they're blood related doesn't give them the right to treat you however they want.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#40]
My sister is in jail where she belongs.   I really don't care if I ever see her drug addicted thieving lying face again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Man you guys got some family issues to work out, it kind of makes me sad to see some of these posts.

I love seeing my mom and my sister.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I didn't talk to my sister for about 14 years.
Started back up a couple years back, we get along pretty ok now.

I have no issue with excommunicating family for their transgressions, but I'll give them a periodic shot at redemption most likely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for sending her our way.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My sister was is a big druggie. Moved her in with me under the premise she gets a job and pays rent. 6600 bucks is what she owes me.  Haven't spoke to her since..One year sober.. She left last Christmas..  Just up and gone.. Fuck her!! I'm happy if I NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER speak with her again.  She will never pay the money she owes me,  so to hell with her...
View Quote

premise or promise?

You helped her get sober. I'd be pissed but I'd leave it at that
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I talk to my sister twice a year, on her Birthday and on Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I talk to my siblings when I visit my family but I never call them just to talk. I don't call anyone just to talk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#48]
My brother and sister talk when we see each other and stay in touch through our father. My wife's side has a brother that has pulled some pure evil stuff with the whole family for years. No one on that side of the family talks with him or has anything to do with him or any of his family members. I stopped having anything to do with him immediately after I married my wife and told her and her father, who was very level headed, why. Mother in-law thought the sun rose on this asshole and learned the hard way almost 30 years later that I was right after she was missing lots of money and valuables that he took for safekeeping. If there was anyone in life who I thought I would have to shoot to defend my family it is him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Well glad I'm not the only one.

Brother and Dad were staying with my family for a while after he lost his place to live. We have never been close but he was family so we let him crash and tried to help him get a job and whatnot. One night he tried to steal my wife's wedding ring out of her jewelry box while I was at work. Wife told my Dad who then confronted him, who of course denied it for hours till every one was in bed. At the time I didn't have cell access once shift started until it ends. So once I turn my phone back on at the end of the night it blows up with a million messages from the wife over the course of the previous night. Last one being that the ring mysteriously reappeared but not in its box, instead on the little bar shelf over the sink. He refused to own up to it to us, and apologize, and left before I could get the police to come. Have not talked to him since. If he had kept his sticky fingers to himself or even managed to apologize to my wife and show some remorse I would have done everything I could to get him re-established.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Haven't seen or talked to my brother for over a year. Don't even have his # even though I could call my parents and get it in about 5 mins. No real reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top