User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do but that's not why. I use them to calculate mpg.
View Quote

You don't have a trip odometer to do this??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I always go inside and pay after I pump. I think I've been to a prepay only gas station twice in my life.

I also don't use bank drive throughs after getting fucked by us bank about 8 years ago.
View Quote

I think we still have one station here in FL that will still let you pump then pay.

I was driving a company truck through the Carolinas and stopped to fill up in bumfuck. Didn't see a credit card slot anywhere but they had the cards they accepted on the station door so, I tried the pump and sure enough, it worked. I pumped about $150 worth of Diesel fuel and went inside to pay with the company fleet card and the cashier explained how their card machine was out of service. I explained how I couldn't put the fuel back very easily now and made her sweat for a minute before I pulled two crisp $100 bills out and asked for a receipt with my change.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Let me know when you get to itemize gasoline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who itemizes their tax write-offs should be collecting their receipts.

Why wouldn't you?

Let me know when you get to itemize gasoline.

Using their cars for business, I assume.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I say yes
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/why-you-should-get-a-receipt-every-single-time-you-get-1648937540/1649874139/+travis

Well, I've known people who saved them religiously and it benefited them and I've known some who ignored receipts and it cost them. One client of mine always got receipts for his gasoline even when he went inside and paid cash for his fuel. One day, after buying gas at a station he did not normally frequent, his car died. He had it towed to a mechanic who told him that his gas tank was filled with water. It was going to be an expensive fix.

When my client went back to the gas station, he found he was not alone. There were others there who had also gotten tanks full of water and were upset. The manager was taking down information from all of the disgruntled folk in front of him and he would ask each one, "Do you have a receipt?" Some did, some didn't. My client did.
View Quote

I always get a receipt for gas and save it for a day or two, for this exact reason.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep the receipts long enough to make sure if I get accused of a drive off, that they are there to prove I tried to pay.

False accusations of drive offs are not uncommon at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

One time, when I was in my early 20s, I got gas and paid at the pump with my debit card.

Then I drove off.

A few minutes later, I get stopped by the local PD.  Officer asks me "where you just at so and so gas station?"  "Yes".  Then he tells me "we got a call that you drove off without paying for your gas".  It was a small town and a long time ago, so I said "look, I paid at the pump for my gas and I didn't drive off without paying".  He said "well, let's go drive up there".

There was another officer already there and they insisted on watching the security footage.  The cashier was swearing up and down that I drove off without paying until we got to where I pulled in, swiped my card, entered the PIN, then filled up.

The cops were pretty pissed with her.  As it turned out, she confessed that she just assumed that I hadn't paid, because I didn't come in.

Ever since then, I ALWAYS hit "yes" when it asks me if I want a receipt.....just in case.
View Quote

You don't happen to drive a  metallic mint green 1964 Buick Skylark convertible do you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You don't happen to drive a  metallic mint green 1964 Buick Skylark convertible do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One time, when I was in my early 20s, I got gas and paid at the pump with my debit card.

Then I drove off.

A few minutes later, I get stopped by the local PD.  Officer asks me "where you just at so and so gas station?"  "Yes".  Then he tells me "we got a call that you drove off without paying for your gas".  It was a small town and a long time ago, so I said "look, I paid at the pump for my gas and I didn't drive off without paying".  He said "well, let's go drive up there".

There was another officer already there and they insisted on watching the security footage.  The cashier was swearing up and down that I drove off without paying until we got to where I pulled in, swiped my card, entered the PIN, then filled up.

The cops were pretty pissed with her.  As it turned out, she confessed that she just assumed that I hadn't paid, because I didn't come in.

Ever since then, I ALWAYS hit "yes" when it asks me if I want a receipt.....just in case.

I think that was a Pontiac Tempest with Michelin tires, model XGV size 75R14.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I drove off.

If that is a reference to a movie or something, I missed the reference.  The answer to your question is no.  This was around 20 years ago and in Wisconsin.   Pay at the pump hadn't been around for long.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you intend to use the info for tax purposes I would say not important. Here you can't pump without paying first.
View Quote

Here too.  Cops won't respond to a drive off at all, and they did this to alter crime stats.  They now consider it to be the store's fault if they don't make you pay first.  Funny thing how that actually works.

You can just iphone up your bank these days to show you paid with the online banking.  Same with water gas.  No receipt necessary.

If you don't by ARCO gas, you are much less likely to have water in your gas.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ever notice how newer receipts fade to blank/unreadable

View Quote

Those have used thermal paper with that problem forever.

I have a record of all those transactions that use my credit card anyway, so I don't see what having a reciept really buys me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Really?

I was on my bike and stopped to get gas using my debt card. It doesn't hold much so it was quick.

A few miles down the road, a Tennessee State Trooper pulls me over.

The new girl at the gas station called in a drive off on me. I had my receipt.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't. I know there would be a record of me paying, but how long would it have taken me to prove it?

I always get a receipt. Especially on the interstate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you intend to use the info for tax purposes I would say not important. Here you can't pump without paying first.

Really?

I was on my bike and stopped to get gas using my debt card. It doesn't hold much so it was quick.

A few miles down the road, a Tennessee State Trooper pulls me over.

The new girl at the gas station called in a drive off on me. I had my receipt.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't. I know there would be a record of me paying, but how long would it have taken me to prove it?

I always get a receipt. Especially on the interstate.

30 seconds on my phone to pull it up.  Plus time to drive back to the gas station, call in the manager, and read them the riot act.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top