Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 10:55:20 PM EDT
so i want to buy some land, im absolutely sick of shooting at ranges and ive been thinking buying some land for a little bit

so my question is if i wanted to buy some land (i live in southeastern pa now) how much land would be enough to shoot on?
im not really made of money so with a good backstop whats a good amount of land that i can shoot comfortable on
long range would be cool, but i at least want a 100 yard range

ive lived in the suburbs my whole life, so getting some land sounds nice to me, but its also hard for me to estimate size of land

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
87 acres
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
80 acres
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
87 acres
View Quote

wow, im guess thats what you own?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
More is better.  Depends how the land lays.  All flat will be different than 10 acres of hilly land.

I asked this question once before and was told at least 20 acres.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for answers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I own 5 but theres a few hundred of woods behind me.   It's about location and terrain in pa.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends.
I have 40 acres  and shoot comfortably with handguns and Rifles.

I have friends that have 10 and do the same.

Long range shooting you will need more but here in Kentucky if you can get a cleared piece that is at 100 yards, your lucky.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own 5 but theres a few hundred of woods behind me.   It's about location and terrain in pa.
View Quote

understood, can i ask what county?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on the shape of the patch of land, trees, how far you want to shoot, and how flat/hilly it is 10 acres is about as low as I would want to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
i guess something like this is catching my eye. seems like a ton of woods behind it
http://www.landwatch.com/Carbon-County-Pennsylvania-Land-for-sale/pid/285920928
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im'ed. On the other side.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gotcha, thanks for the info,
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.landwatch.com/Schuylkill-County-Pennsylvania-Land-for-sale/pid/284831460

just looking at this point but this place seems like alot for not that much.
I mean i easy have the down payment but its going to be getting a loan that the hard part
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
All about your back stop and terrain.

You could safely shoot on a 1/4 acre if it was located in the bottom of a rock quarry...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.landwatch.com/Schuylkill-County-Pennsylvania-Land-for-sale/pid/284831460

just looking at this point but this place seems like alot for not that much.
I mean i easy have the down payment but its going to be getting a loan that the hard part
View Quote

That's not really a lot for semi-decent land, or at least it wouldn't be here. Maybe land is cheaper in PA, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a piece of raw farmland . 20-30 acres
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It all depends on the terrain. I have 80 acres, but it's heavily wooded and hilly, so 200m is about the longest shot I can take. If it will be for shooting, then do yourself a favor and get something flat and wide open. Also be wary of your backstop, or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All about your back stop and terrain.

You could safely shoot on a 1/4 acre if it was located in the bottom of a rock quarry...
View Quote

This. Where I'm shooting now is at the bottom of a ravine. Steep dirt embankments all around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
5 yards (15 ft) wide by 1100 yards (3300 ft) long is 1.14 acres.

There you have it.  A 1000 yard rifle range you can park two pick-ups side by side.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#21]
You need enough to be legal as some states have minimum distances between occupied dewllings
and enough that you do not make enemies with the neighbors if your going to shoot alot.
PA is "can" land so get one or more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There you have it.  A 1000 yard rifle range you can park two pick-ups side by side.
View Quote

Or grow spaghetti.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It all depends on the terrain. I have 80 acres, but it's heavily wooded and hilly, so 200m is about the longest shot I can take. If it will be for shooting, then do yourself a favor and get something flat and wide open. Also be wary of your backstop, or lack thereof.
View Quote

So a small amount of land  but with a good backstop would be okay?
I mean if it's undeveloped I can always clear it out right?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So help me out here,
5 acres seems like enough to get a good backstop, far enough from Neighbors and still be able to shoot at least 100 yards?  Or no?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or grow spaghetti.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or grow spaghetti.  

Foolish hew-mon.

Spaghetti tree roots extend for miles in all directions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Dude lives 3 miles from me.  I had lunch with him the other week. Fantastic, fantastic, brilliant guy.

Edit:

Actually, I had lunch with him at the part of the article where they talked about building the range.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Minimum of ten if it is hilly. You'd be better off to look for more though
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on the terrain.In my area if the location is right 2-3 acres will suffice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dude lives 3 miles from me.  I had lunch with him the other week. Fantastic, fantastic, brilliant guy.

Edit:

Actually, I had lunch with him at the part of the article where they talked about building the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edit:

I've sort of met him twice, but both times he was too busy for anything more than a "hi."  I started shooting Service Rifle last year and I'm a Reservist, so I'm sure I'll see him around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
87 acres
View Quote

Any earthquake news?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#31]
It's not how much land but the laws in your area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not how much land but the laws in your area.
View Quote

Yep.  around here they say you have to have 50 acres for rifles/pistols and 10 acres for shotguns. "and more than three hundred feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property"
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always clear out vegetation, but you're screwed either way if it isn't flat and you want to shoot long range. 80 acres in a long, narrow stretch can be a few miles, or in my case, it can be a 1/3 mile square. I would find some pieces of land that fit your budget and location, and hop on Google Earth to see how long it is in meters, along with the surrounding landscape.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've sort of met him twice, but both times he was too busy for anything more than a "hi."  I started shooting Service Rifle last year and I'm a Reservist, so I'm sure I'll see him around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

He did my neighbor's knee surgery. My neighbor became friends with him from there.

I'm scheduled to shoot with him sometime next month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Edit:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edit:

pretty inspirational article.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top