Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck it I'm in!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is English not your first language?

He is saying that people who jump on politically correct band wagons are idiots.

He is comparing idiots who suddenly say "oh we should change the racist team name after all these years" to people who say "forget the right to own guns because a few people use them for evil."

Get it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not saying we should "forget that right", it's an analogy to we should "forget that name" just because public opinion has changed. It's an analogy.

An analogy for what? Obviously he thinks the name should be changed. Social consciousness. When the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board.

Hope and change.

He finds it similar with his view on guns? Forget that right? What do you think the analogy is referring to in change (concerning guns)?

Hope and change.

Is English not your first language?

He is saying that people who jump on politically correct band wagons are idiots.

He is comparing idiots who suddenly say "oh we should change the racist team name after all these years" to people who say "forget the right to own guns because a few people use them for evil."

Get it?

That's not what he is saying.

It was kewl when he was small.
Now social consciousness.
Court of public opinion.
He knows better now because it's the right thing to do.
Because it's going to change.
He's good with it.

It's not going to hurt me. It's just... I love the emblem. I dig it. It gives me a little fire and some oomph. But now that it's in the court of public opinion, it's going to change. I wish it wouldn't, but it will.

He's fired guns before-he liked it
it's in the second amendment
but lets go beyond your rights
it's a gun and I feel you have one because in gives you a sense of empowerment...of pleasure...on a regulated range where everything is controlled
but out there in the wild, things happen beyond your control and I don't trust you to make the right decisions because guns give you a sense of power and pleasure

"I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right. Let's forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it's in the wrong hands in other places."

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you writing poems?

He is musing on the Redskins debate here, after being asked what he though about it. He is saying that, at one time, no one had a problem with he name. But these days, it's in the social consciousness (sic), aka in the public spotlight. It's a red button issue. It seems like whenever the initiative to change something gets started, everyone starts joining it, for no apparent reason.

Here he is not talking in first person. He is quoting what a person who supports gun control would say. He is comparing the absurdity of changing the Redskins name (because a few people get offended) to having gun control because of a few people who misuse them. Just like most Native Americans don't have a problem with the name, most gun owners don't misuse guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well maybe you'd like to explain what he means in these quotes:

it's in the court of public opinion
pushed into the social consciousness
it's going to change
everybody gets onboard
forget that right
forget the pleasure you get
because it's in the wrong hands in other places.

Are you writing poems?

“What interests me is how quickly it got pushed into the social consciousness,” he told GQ. “We were all fine with it since the 1930s, and all of a sudden we go, ‘No, gotta change it’? It seems like when the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board. I know a lot of Native Americans don’t have a problem with it, but they’re not going to say, ‘No, we really want the name.’ That’s not how they’re going to use their pulpit.”

He is musing on the Redskins debate here, after being asked what he though about it. He is saying that, at one time, no one had a problem with he name. But these days, it's in the social consciousness (sic), aka in the public spotlight. It's a red button issue. It seems like whenever the initiative to change something gets started, everyone starts joining it, for no apparent reason.

“I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let’s forget that right. Let’s forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it’s in the wrong hands in other places,”

Here he is not talking in first person. He is quoting what a person who supports gun control would say. He is comparing the absurdity of changing the Redskins name (because a few people get offended) to having gun control because of a few people who misuse them. Just like most Native Americans don't have a problem with the name, most gun owners don't misuse guns.

Nope. Not talking third person. He stated it was analogous with how he felt about guns.

His words:

It's like my feeling about gun control: "I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right. Let's forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it's in the wrong hands in other places."

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So where are we here...i'm lost...can I put away my pitch fork or not?
View Quote
Stow the pitch fork. He's good with the 2nd.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
My god. Arfcom may be able to addition and subtraction, but not algebra. My kids could figure out that he is comparing shaming the redskins name with banning guns just because they too can become politically incorrect even though they are a right.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My god. Arfcom may be able to addition and subtraction, but not algebra. My kids could figure out that he is comparing shaming the redskins name with banning guns just because they too can become politically incorrect even though they are a right.
View Quote

Sadly GD is plagued with the illiterate.....

Hell, I'm surprised they didn't mix and match different calibers for their guns, although there are the few here....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
He rocked in Frailty, so fuck this boycott noise.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Matthew McConaughey says: "I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right."

His new movie Interstellar will be coming out soon, are we going to teach him a lesson that stupid actors should not be commenting on Gun Rights?

http://www.examiner.com/article/interstellar-patrons-deserve-clarification-of-mcconaughey-s-gun-comment
View Quote
How about no
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried to search for the man's true opinion on the 2A, but all I found were 10 pages of search results blowing his Redskins comment out of proportion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope. Not talking third person. He stated it was analogous with how he felt about guns.

His words:

It's like my feeling about gun control: "I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right. Let's forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it's in the wrong hands in other places."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's going to change
everybody gets onboard
forget that right

Are you writing poems?

“What interests me is how quickly it got pushed into the social consciousness,” he told GQ. “We were all fine with it since the 1930s, and all of a sudden we go, ‘No, gotta change it’? It seems like when the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board. I know a lot of Native Americans don’t have a problem with it, but they’re not going to say, ‘No, we really want the name.’ That’s not how they’re going to use their pulpit.”

“I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let’s forget that right. Let’s forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it’s in the wrong hands in other places,”

His words:

Yes, it's how he feels about gun control. You can "feel" for it or against it. In this case, it is his feeling against it.

I'll walk you through some more analysis:

Take the context of "let us forget about that right". It is the same context earlier with "we were all fine with it... now we gotta change it. Both times, he is using the plural. "We". As in the average citizen. Of course, he is not in support of the Redskins name change. Or gun control. He is quoting in the sentence.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL
View Quote

Apparently not, apparently its only for faggots
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Apparently he was being sarcastic.  I'll withdraw my statement for now.
View Quote

He needs to get the word out because as of now I am not going to see his latest movie.

Until this thread I thought I was going.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
How many people here actually believe the ocean is littered with guns and wrecked arfboats?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He needs to get the word out because as of now I am not going to see his latest movie.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(sigh)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I too agree with the good Mr McConaughey and will soon be burning all my firearms because of how horrible the Redskins played this year.  For reals.  I'm %100 sure that was what he meant.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Heh--this is what happens when stoners speak--it ain't clear and concise and leaves potential for interpretation.  LIke whoever wrote the second amendment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]
readingisforfaggots.jpg

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll watch the fuck out of Interstellar.  I don't care what the actors think.  In fact, I assume I would hate all actors if I were ever to get to know them.  I'm watching for the story.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't have a vagina so I don't go see his movies anyways.
View Quote

This sums it up, at least from my perspective.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Other peoples views have no impact on my life
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it just me or is that not what he's saying at all?

ETA: He's comparing the people who were fine with the Redskins for 80 years then suddenly changed their mind to people who want to ban guns because it's the cause of the day because of some event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's all it took?
When you're 4 years old, that's all it takes. I got a Redskins hat in my bag right now.

What do you think about the calls for the team to change its name?
Man, it's twofold. What interests me is how quickly it got pushed into the social consciousness. We were all fine with it since the 1930s, and all of a sudden we go, "No, gotta change it"? It seems like when the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board. I know a lot of Native Americans don't have a problem with it, but they're not going to say, "No, we really want the name." That's not how they're going to use their pulpit. It's like my feeling about gun control: "I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right. Let's forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it's in the wrong hands in other places."

ETA: He's comparing the people who were fine with the Redskins for 80 years then suddenly changed their mind to people who want to ban guns because it's the cause of the day because of some event.

OP is an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
readingisforfaggots.jpg

View Quote

Read thread title. Get incensed. Immediately post without reading any posts. It's the GD way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you writing poems?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's going to change
everybody gets onboard
forget that right

Are you writing poems?

This is exactly right. Everyone who cannot understand this explanation above please try harder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He rocked in Frailty, so fuck this boycott noise.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cmohlw.jpg
View Quote

This.

I also just farted.  It sounded like this.   Poooooooft
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

People like OP, and the others who replied in line with him, are why the left thinks we're dumb.

View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Again, no hes not. You fail at comprehending his analogy of irrationality
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all it took?
When you're 4 years old, that's all it takes. I got a Redskins hat in my bag right now.

Man, it's twofold. What interests me is how quickly it got pushed into the social consciousness. We were all fine with it since the 1930s, and all of a sudden we go, "No, gotta change it"? It seems like when the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board. I know a lot of Native Americans don't have a problem with it, but they're not going to say, "No, we really want the name." That's not how they're going to use their pulpit. It's like my feeling about gun control: "I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let's forget that right. Let's forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it's in the wrong hands in other places."

He is saying fuck your right to own guns because some people use guns for crime. Fuck him

Ok, re-reading it I can see where this may be a pro-gun comment.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not seeing it, but not because of his stance on guns -- he has the right to think whatever retarded BS he wants and even comment on it aloud.  I'm not going to that movie because it looks pretty fucking dumb from every trailer I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#30]
50% of the people posting stupid shit in this thread only read the title, and then when they figure out they were wrong they'll continue to defend their posts. lulz

typical gd.

also, who gives a fuck either way.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. DUH.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#33]
He does talk in circles, and I had to read it a couple times before I got it, but his analogy is solid. He's comparing the popularity of the idea of changing the Redskins name, with the popularity of the idea of "forgetting" that bearing arms is a right. He agrees with neither sentiment.  He's a solid dude in my book.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Are you writing poems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it's going to change

everybody gets onboard

forget that right

Are you writing poems?

"What interests me is how quickly it got pushed into the social consciousness,” he told GQ. "We were all fine with it since the 1930s, and all of a sudden we go, ‘No, gotta change it’? It seems like when the first levee breaks, everybody gets on board. I know a lot of Native Americans don’t have a problem with it, but they’re not going to say, ‘No, we really want the name.’ That’s not how they’re going to use their pulpit.”

"I get it. You have the right to have guns. But look, let’s forget that right. Let’s forget the pleasure you get safely on your range, because it’s in the wrong hands in other places,”

You sum kind of gun grabbin' liberal with all that fancy book lernin'!?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#35]

GD never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#36]
This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

Damn, this made me laugh for a solid minute.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you need a reason to not see Interstellar, I'd say there's a bigger one than gun control.

The Earth isn't becoming unlivable and crops failing because of "bad luck" or some sort of natural disaster. It's pretty clear that MMGW/Climate Change/pollution is to blame.

Which of course is bunk. Even with a wormhole, even if MMGW/climate change were real, it would still be 10,000 X easier to make greenhouses, irrigation systems etc. to save as many people as you can vs. trying to abandon earth.
View Quote

Irrigation systems don't make a very interesting movie though.  It's entertainment.

Apparently a lot of people here have trouble recognizing point of view when reading.  Kind of like Fox non-News deliberately taking things out of context.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
50% of the people posting stupid shit in this thread only read the title, and then when they figure out they were wrong they'll continue to defend their posts. lulz

typical gd.

also, who gives a fuck either way.
View Quote

Only a die hard few stick around long enough to gain enlightenment. Most of them post and then run off to take a dump in another thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reading comprehension is a pretty basic thing.

I suck at math.  I know it, and I accept it.  No one is perfect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People like OP, and the others who replied in line with him, are why the left thinks we're dumb.

Do you really need to insinuate someone is dumb because they see something different then you? I read this whole article the other day and took it that he is anti-gun. I cannot read what he wrote and spin it that he is on our side. Does not mean I or others are dumb.

Reading comprehension is a pretty basic thing.

I suck at math.  I know it, and I accept it.  No one is perfect.

You are right, thread debunked.  Congrats NY Shooter.
I actually read some other statements he made in other interviews.  
Was wrong....DEAD WRONG.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL
View Quote

Most of the retarded fucks in GD don't really, and just jump to conclusions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

Now all the low information voters in GD are going to wrongly boycott him.

OP you should edit your thread title and post.

He is not only on the side of gun rights...he is VERY on the side of gun rights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all it took?

He is saying fuck your right to own guns because some people use guns for crime. Fuck him

Ya the R-tards aren't getting.

He is saying that yes we have the right and that those who oppose that fact are silly.

He is defending the RKBA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#44]
We all know how his movie plays out anyway.... we're all going to want the gun he uses in it...he'll be blind and we won't find out until the end.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Wait, what?

When I read this thread earlier he was an anti.
So I burned my True Detective BluRay set.

Now he isn't?!?'
Dammit.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:03:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wait, what?

When I read this thread earlier he was an anti.
So I burned my True Detective BluRay set.

Now he isn't?!?'
Dammit.

View Quote

If I post a picture of my NRA card, will GD forgive?  I had the best intentions, I'm always looking to jump on an anti gunner at any chance I get....I posted the article without reading in closely ... Although, the statements are kind of poorly made and do need a little clarification on his part......
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#47]
He hasn't corrected the three dozen news outlets that have quoted him in the context of an anti-gunner.

Until he does, I'm going to read it as quoted. Which does not currently include a quotation-within-a-quotation.

Punctuation is for faggots, I guess.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:17:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He hasn't corrected the three dozen news outlets that have quoted him in the context of an anti-gunner.

Until he does, I'm going to read it as quoted. Which does not currently include a quotation-within-a-quotation.

View Quote

Cool, now I don't feel so bad
Thank you txshurricane
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Holy shit the derp is flowing strong in this thread
Well done good sirs
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:21:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thank you txshurricane
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you txshurricane

I want the notion that he is pro-gun to be true. But if he is being misquoted by major networks and isn't correcting it (I've checked his Twitter feed - not a peep), then he may as well have said it.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top