Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everybody knows someone...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  Too many innocent lives ruined because of drunks.

I don't.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that gives me a chance to randomly run their tags, observe them driving suspended, and stop them and give them another criminal citation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You yank their license, they drive anyway.

This.

Yeah, but that gives me a chance to randomly run their tags, observe them driving suspended, and stop them and give them another criminal citation.

Most you can get for driving under suspension in OH is 6mo per offense.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We got that shit in Florida.

Ruining too many innocent lives.

Other states should follow suit.
View Quote

Most states do.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can walk, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say yes. Driving is a privilege.

Not permanently.

Right to travel?

You can walk, right?

You don't see the folly in your line of reasoning?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Recidivism is the BIG problem, revocation of license does nothing to stop them.  Neither does impoundment of their vehicle.  Probation officers have their hands tied but I believe most can determine which ones are the greatest risk.  A judge sees the defendant once or twice, the probation officer monthly.  

Interlocks are like impounding the vehicle.  It won't stop them from drinking nor will it prevent them from driving another vehicle.
View Quote

Or now they're taking their young child everywhere to blow into the interlock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]

First time, Probation you're restricted to driving to and from work for 2 years. 2nd time, 5 year suspension no driving. 3rd time perma ban + prison time, all vehicles under their name forfeited and sold.

If you clear probation on the first one your conviction will be erased from your record, but if your caught again with in a 5 year period the conviction will be reinstated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe if Driver's Licenses didn't come out of a Cracker Jack box, then people wouldn't risk it to DUI.

ETA: Look at Germany. You get one, and you're done, but it takes years of training, and several thousand dollars to get a license, so you're properly motivated not to drink and drive.
View Quote

In Germany-

They also take your guns if you get a DUI. It takes years to get your gun license as well.

If you have any alcohol in your system, and get in an accident. Its your fault. A plane could crash into your car. Your fault.

Legal limit is lower.

You can can drink a beer while driving. As long as you are under the limit.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My uncle DUIed off a cliff in Colorado a few years ago.  My other uncle had to be medavaced to Denver, and the uncle that caused the accident got to sit in Routt County(CO) Jail and wonder if his brother was alive.  Long story short he was ok, the DUI uncle used a lawyer and IIRC got probation.  I haven't spoken or seen either of them in 2 years, cause they're both drunks, and neither are really nice people.

Fuck drunk drivers sideways with a cactus, but maybe there shouldn't be a one-size fits all penalty to DUI, because it's such a gray area.  If my uncle would have died, yes, the other should be rotting in prison right now.  But mandatory license suspensions? Not sure if that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have done several wet labs where people get drunk for testing practice and have yet to see someone hit .08 with 2 drinks
Not saying it couldn't happen just saying 99% of people caught DWI are full of shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two beers to have your license revoked? Fuck off... and they keep lowering the BAC limit... nope.gif

I have done several wet labs where people get drunk for testing practice and have yet to see someone hit .08 with 2 drinks
Not saying it couldn't happen just saying 99% of people caught DWI are full of shit

http://www.amazon.com/DCI-Glass-Holds-Whole-Bottle/dp/B000VKOK6O

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I knew a guy who got a DUI for sleeping in his car in the parking lot of a hotel.  

ETA: it was a party at the hotel, he didn't randomly pull into one while drunk.
View Quote

This raises a further question. At what point do we draw the line?

People that think taking away a license or life imprisonment is a good idea need to remember how incompetent our government can be at times. Never mind the cost to the taxpayer for unemployment or putting someone behind bars right?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No. If you want to make it illegal to drink then make it illegal to manufacture and sell.
View Quote

Yeah, that didn't work out so well the first time we tried it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe if Driver's Licenses didn't come out of a Cracker Jack box, then people wouldn't risk it to DUI.

ETA: Look at Germany. You get one, and you're done, but it takes years of training, and several thousand dollars to get a license, so you're properly motivated not to drink and drive.
View Quote

I have only driven in Germany for a few days but I did learn this.  You need to and are expect to, pay attention at all times, not just doing when 200 kph on the autobahn.  In town, when the stop light turns green, your average German driver would give John Force a run for his money on reaction time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Do it enough, and it's 5 years in prison in Florida (assuming a bunch of other factors).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#14]
driving is a right

anyway revoking driver's license for DUI on a bicycle, lawnmower or something is out of line.  It happens
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how many who voted yes have been guilty of driving drunk, but never been caught.

I really don't understand how so many here say they love freedom, but insist on taking it away from others. Those are the kinds of people who shouldn't have drivers licenses, firearms, oxygen, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

YEP! Had a guy that almost killed me...in court it came out it was his THIRD OFFENSE! They revoked his license AGAIN, he cried that he could not go to work, etc (I'm sure he would have no problem going and getting booze). They re-instated his license to go to work and other minor things.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
driving is a right

anyway revoking driver's license for DUI on a bicycle, lawnmower or something is out of line.  It happens
View Quote

lol, driving is not a right if you're going to use roads paid for by taxes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder how many who voted yes have been guilty of driving drunk, but never been caught.

I really don't understand how so many here say they love freedom, but insist on taking it away from others. Those are the kinds of people who shouldn't have drivers licenses, firearms, oxygen, etc.
View Quote

Haha, you're cute. Penalties for DUI are very light. They should be harsher.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#19]
How many DUI's before yanking license.

When I got my DUI at 18, I remember the lady who taught the alcohol abuse class flat out saying the only difference between all of us in class and her, is she was never caught drunk driving.

Find me anyone who drinks to intoxication that has never driven drunk.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for calling me cute, but you're not my type.

Where did I say the punishment shouldn't be harsher?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two beers to have your license revoked? Fuck off... and they keep lowering the BAC limit... nope.gif

I got charged with a DUI because my blood had THC in it in high school.

If they charged me, I guarantee they had past convictions on it.

Yes, I was smoking weed often at the time. As I told my attorney, If I was high in the car, they'd also have my pipe.

This was all back in high school, and I don't smoke weed anymore.

Don't ban me for past transgressions, the states of Kansas and Iowa have overlooked them and given me carry permits since then.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say yes. Driving is a privilege.

Not permanently.

Right to travel?

You can walk, right?

No folly here. As long as we're going to issue licences and tax vehicles driving will be considered a privilege that not everybody will be legally able to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Revoked, yes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Despite the danger, I still don't trust those we trust with power.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/u-s-world/man-charged-with-dui-despite-having-00-blood-alcohol-content

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-news/man-blows-0-00-on-breathalyzer--gets-arrested-for-dwi-003450614.html

http://www.suntimes.com/7752233-417/man-arrested-with-00-blood-alcohol-content-settles-with-naperville-for-10000.html

When the courts start imposing more harsh penalties for illegal alien drivers, than I would entertain more harsh penalties on DUI.  How many hit and run deaths are on the road, and nobody gives a shit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe we could apply the same logic to guns. You know, like they do in New York and California.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never driven drunk, but voted yes. I just view it as a victimless crime, albeit a risky behavior, until such time as it causes an accident.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If you really want to stop DUI, build a public transit system.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#28]
There should be no "Life in prison" EVER. If you are not fit to be in public you shouldn't be on this earth. And I sure as FUCK don't want to pay to keep them in cages.

I am ok with losing your license permanently on the 2nd Dui.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep!!

The laws aren't working. Cultural change is the only thing that would reduce the problem.

Bring back the Pear as a drunk/stoned driving penalty, and the shit would stop.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Revoking license does not prevent them from actually driving.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

I don't either.  In decades of driving, I've only seen one person I was certain was drunk.  I called it in, but I was mistaken. He was just sleepy.z
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#32]
How about just a stiffer penalty for causing an accident while drunk?

Capital punishment for the first offense that ends in a casualty.

That should fix it. One way...or that other way.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly, punish them severely if they actually victimize someone else...  When I say severe, I'm talking like scarlet letter here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you really want to stop DUI, build a public transit system.
View Quote

Why would an experienced and worldly cynic buy that simple minded panacea?  That doesn't work anywhere.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I knew a kid busted for DUI cause he had the keys in the ignition to play the radio.  Kid wasn't even in the car, engine wasn't running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a guy who got a DUI for sleeping in his car in the parking lot of a hotel.  

I knew a kid busted for DUI cause he had the keys in the ignition to play the radio.  Kid wasn't even in the car, engine wasn't running.

Numerous cases of that here in Maricopa County.  Engine doesn't even have to be inside the vehicle, they can still hit you with DUI.  I've heard of people that have been drinking in their garage with the keys inside their house and have gotten a DUI.

Also have the Halo Law here.  If you've been convicted of DUI in the past and are riding with someone that has been drinking, you both get a DUI.

Multi-million dollar revenue generator...  has nothing to do with public safety.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#36]
In VA, licenses get yanked for a year.

My neighbor is currently in that situation.

I agree with a one year suspension
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:04:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't either.  In decades of driving, I've only seen one person I was certain was drunk.  I called it in, but I was mistaken. He was just sleepy.z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

That's a DUI in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:11:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Raise the legal limit a bit.

First offense? Car impounded for a year. Or six months in jail. You pick.

Second offense? Kill them.

In my dreams...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#39]
yes
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:00:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I agree with this as well.  The right to travel freely was honoured for a long time in this country, but no more apparently.  It is unfortunate that the proponents of state controul over our lives have been highly effective at getting people to accept the idea of "driving is a privilege, not a right."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think driver's licenses should exist.

I agree with this as well.  The right to travel freely was honoured for a long time in this country, but no more apparently.  It is unfortunate that the proponents of state controul over our lives have been highly effective at getting people to accept the idea of "driving is a privilege, not a right."

My father still has his first license.  It's a slip of paper with his name on it.  No picture.  It cost him around $1.50.

Modern ones should come printed with "Haha Suckers" in big red letters across the front.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  Average size dude gives the usual "two beers" speech.  Blows around 0.2.  Give me a fucking break.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:15:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
driving is a right

View Quote

Drunks on bikes in the roadway don't cause accidents anymore?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Right.  Average size dude gives the usual "two beers" speech.  Blows around 0.2.  Give me a fucking break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought myself a breathalyzer for the hell of it.

I can honestly say I'd rather spend the night in jail, lose my license, and have blood forcibly drawn from me before I trusted my future to one in the hands of a government employee.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can honestly say I'd rather spend the night in jail, lose my license, and have blood forcibly drawn from me before I trusted my future to one in the hands of a government employee.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Data from hand held breathalyzers is not admissable in court here and are only used on scene to get a ballpark figure.  The machine in the DUI unit room is about the size of a office copier, is calibrated by the state and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#45]
1st time should be a year suspension, 2nd time should be jail and permanent loss of license.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#46]
There is a booming industry building and selling bicycles with weedeater motors on them here in Florida...For people who are not allowed to drive anymore.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:44:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

So that's how you remember it?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is a booming industry building and selling bicycles with weedeater motors on them here in Florida...For people who are not allowed to drive anymore.
View Quote

Drunk Scooters!

We've got some people at work that have to ride them around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew a kid who got ten days in county and lost his license for a year for walking past a liquor store with his car keys in his pocket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Short term?  Maybe.

Long term?  Absolutely not.

Multiple offense?  Sounds better.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top