Quoted:

It smelled just like the stuff in the froglube kit that I have in my gun room
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did it smell like?

ETA: easiest thing to do would be contact th manufacture and ask them what they ship their rifles with. But frog lube isn't that thick.

It smelled just like the stuff in the froglube kit that I have in my gun room

Like mint?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The smell of frog lube is enough to keep me from ever using it. Shit smells like Bengay to me and every time I break a rifle open at work that has that crap in it I swear I look around to see if my dad or some other old codger is standing around. Most of the guys who are big on it seem to be the ones who don't want to maintain their rifles IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wheel bearing grease?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was applied at the manufacturer.  I had nothing to do with it other than cleaning it out of the rifle.

What did it smell like?

ETA: easiest thing to do would be contact th manufacture and ask them what they ship their rifles with. But frog lube isn't that thick.

That is wheel bearing grease. Sure isnt frog lube. I use CLP, and it works fine for me.

Wheel bearing grease?

Sure looks like it in the pictures you posted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Eezox the best.
Does not gum up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny thing, I lube my truck gun with either Rotella or marine grease.  Neither has ever caused my rifle to look like any of these pics.  I mostly shoot Tula/wolf, never clean it, just reapply lube as I see fit (rarely).  

Normal range day is 250-500 rounds, easy, then it goes right back under the seat.  Thrown in the mud, dropped in the creek, it really catches hell.

If your rifle looks like that with that few rounds, I'd change lube

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Lubed the shit outta it

AR doesn't need lube in the chamber or on the locking lugs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lubed the shit outta it

AR doesn't need lube in the chamber or on the locking lugs.
View Quote

Just an extremely light coating on the bolt carrier where it contacts the upper, and a little grease in the right spots on the trigger and you're gtg.  I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Now is CLP so fucking hard?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazing......
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It is now cleaned...

killed me too lol.. but I had to know it would still keep kickin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you apply the Frog Lube very sparingly on the barrel and wipe it down, to protect it against the elements?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rifle still functioned and the internals stayed lubed but I encountered some rust. PSA makes a good rifle but their finish on the barrels seems to be lacking compared to other manufacturers.

Did you apply the Frog Lube very sparingly on the barrel and wipe it down, to protect it against the elements?  

Yes Sir I did. I'm going to duracoat the gun soon to remedy the surface rust problems. The elements down here are killer for any kind of metal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is why I don't use froglube.  In a brand new rifle on the shelf.... Never fired  The bolt was so sluggish that it wouldn't go into battery

http://i62.tinypic.com/331owab.jpg"

http://i57.tinypic.com/2cg0djp.jpg"

http://i59.tinypic.com/2955v8i.jpg"

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ztd8qs.jpg"
View Quote

IMO that is waaaay to much. I used 3/4 of a "sample packet" for mine.

I also didn't put it on the extractor, just the sides of the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol

You call this science?

I call it snake oil

Use mobil 1
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you had a Frog Lube bukakke party inside your upper and lower receiver, shot a bunch of rounds, somehow put so much Frog Lube inside it that you now have a proper swamp and want to complain about your barrel rusting?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PSA makes a good rifle but their finish on the barrels seems to be lacking compared to other manufacturers.

So you had a Frog Lube bukakke party inside your upper and lower receiver, shot a bunch of rounds, somehow put so much Frog Lube inside it that you now have a proper swamp and want to complain about your barrel rusting?  

pretty much...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Not impressed with your "test".
Thanks for you input though.

By the way, I didn't see a photo of the chamber.
Just of the area in the barrel extension where the bolt lugs lock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Frog lube won't stop an AR bolt from going into battery. If the bolt is not locking something else is wrong. Frog lube isn't that thick or sluggish. It is actually pretty slick.

ETA: and it wipes right off

I'm thinking that's not frog lube but an anti corrosion grease used for shipping/storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why I don't use froglube.  In a brand new rifle on the shelf.... Never fired  The bolt was so sluggish that it wouldn't go into battery

http://i62.tinypic.com/331owab.jpg"

http://i57.tinypic.com/2cg0djp.jpg"

http://i59.tinypic.com/2955v8i.jpg"

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ztd8qs.jpg"

Frog lube won't stop an AR bolt from going into battery. If the bolt is not locking something else is wrong. Frog lube isn't that thick or sluggish. It is actually pretty slick.

ETA: and it wipes right off

I'm thinking that's not frog lube but an anti corrosion grease used for shipping/storage.

If FL gets cold it will stop a bolt from going into battery.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Dropped in dirt and sand. Had to make sure It would still keep going.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not impressed with your "test".
Thanks for you input though.

By the way, I didn't see a photo of the chamber.
Just of the area in the barrel extension where the bolt lugs lock.
View Quote

Sorry, If I had more rounds to shoot I would, like I said this isn't for everyone just those who are looking to go with PSA or frog lube.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does it involve heating up the metal with a hairdryer so it becomes "porous" and "absorbs"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People really need to learn how to apply frog lube.....

Does it involve heating up the metal with a hairdryer so it becomes "porous" and "absorbs"?

I know you're trying to mock people here, and I know full well that metal can't "absorb" frog lube, but if you do the hair dryer thing it SEEMS like that's what's happening. The gun will feel dry to the touch when you're done, as you shoot a few rounds and the gun warms up you'll see that the moving parts and barrel are shiny and no longer dry. Kinda like the lube is seeping back out of the non-existent metal pores.
I think the scientific explanation is that the initial heat evaporates solvents in the lube, raising the temperature at which it turns into a liquid a little above room temperature. Shoot the gun a bit and it turns back into a liquid. However, the metal pores thing is more easily understood by neckbeards than science and stuff.

Edit: The picture of the malfunctioning gun IS NOT FROGLUBE. Frog Lube is green and not that thick.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top