User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Okay. The speed limit is 25 MPH in a residential area and you're hovering around 25, but you start going down a hill and, without realizing it, your speed picks up to about 27 MPH. A kid runs out from behind a car chasing a ball and before you can stop your car, you crush and kill her. How long should you go to jail for?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.

Intent used to be one of the most important elements of our criminal justice system.

Now, how many years in prison should you get the next time you make a mistake?

You should lose your freedom if you take a life that's not in self defense.

Are humans so disposable that a guy who kills someone who did NOTHING to him should only get a ticket?

Would you be so care-free if the geezer killed your wife or child? Lives have value. "Shit happens" is not a valid defense when people die due to the neglect or carelessness of others.

Okay. The speed limit is 25 MPH in a residential area and you're hovering around 25, but you start going down a hill and, without realizing it, your speed picks up to about 27 MPH. A kid runs out from behind a car chasing a ball and before you can stop your car, you crush and kill her. How long should you go to jail for?

Proof. Where's the proof he was going 27? Would the two mph have made a difference? The old guy's case is far more cut and dried than your scenario.

The geezer in question did not have the right way. Your analogy would work better if your kid was crossing at a crosswalk and the driver made an otherwise lawful turn on red, striking and killing the child. (Right turns on red are legal in MI. Even left turns are under limited circumstances.)

I've also said that pedestrians hit by vehicles when the pedestrian hasn't the right of way should be liable for the damage to the car.

Obey the rules or accept the consequences.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
An accident just means the consequence was not intended. "Accident" does not mean there was no negligence. I rear ended someone in traffic once because I was looking at the ass of some girl walking on the sidewalk, that's an accident.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.

How do you know it was negligence and not just an accident?

Human cognition is not flawless no matter how perfect of a driver you may think you are.  If the guy was drinking or trying to pull a New York left then sure but if he just didn't see him then it's not negligence.

There is no such thing as an "accident."

It is negligence to turn into the path of oncoming traffic.
An accident just means the consequence was not intended. "Accident" does not mean there was no negligence. I rear ended someone in traffic once because I was looking at the ass of some girl walking on the sidewalk, that's an accident.  

"Accident" in a casual, slang term, yes.

The ticket will say "crash" and so do my state's laws.

So was the ass epic? Pics?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
So where are we at now ? Are we going to hang grandpa in back of the courthouse cause he can't see so good or not ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well in waht situation is your kid playing in the road?  The ops or where your kid entered the road suddenly to get a ball?

And i dont care if little girl or grown man.. and it would determine by level of speeding...  5 over not so much, its pedestrians fault... 10 call it awash still in civil realm...  15 or morde maybe thats where driver is criminally negigent
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, fine, we say that what the driver would be doing in this situation wouldn't have an effect on the outcome, except to say that one speed is legal, and one is not. You're right though, the outcome is the same, and the driver has little control over that. That's the point. Should he be in more or less trouble then?

Now, suppose it's not a little girl. Suppose it's a grown man who ran out. The driver is wrong to accidentally go over the limit, but the severity of the outcome is different now that it's a grown man. So, what about the victim, or the victim's characteristics make the mistake on the part of the driver more or less of an issue. The same car at the same speed effects one victim different that the other. That's not something the driver has control over, and should not effect his punishment.

Not specifically related to this post is the bullshit about how some of us "would feel different if it was your loved one." My son is 4 years old, and he and most of the neighborhood kids play in the street all day. We parents know the possibilities. We know the dangers. I will not hold someone else responsible for the outcomes of mistakes they made when the outcome is based on my decisions, and not theirs. That's personal accountability, not begging to lock up the guy who made a mistake.

Well in waht situation is your kid playing in the road?  The ops or where your kid entered the road suddenly to get a ball?

And i dont care if little girl or grown man.. and it would determine by level of speeding...  5 over not so much, its pedestrians fault... 10 call it awash still in civil realm...  15 or morde maybe thats where driver is criminally negigent

Dude you're missing the point. Presumably that's why you think the analogy is flawed.  

The point is not that the driver did something wrong in either case. The point is that the driver did something without all the information. He didn't know a motorcycle was coming, and he didn't know he was speeding. Both of those things are "infractions". In both cases, there is a negative outcome. In both cases, the severity of that outcome is based on characteristics of the victim, NOT on the "relative dangerousness" of the action the driver is taking.

The point boils down to this: if in a million instances of something "wrong" happening with little or no impact, what makes the one-in-a-million case where it leads to a fatality any more special? Other than it hurts some feelings, it's not different at all.

You've most likely nearly killed someone before. We all have. Some of us know it, but many more go on about our lives and never even knew it. How does that make any of us an less culpable than this old man? The fact that we got lucky? I hate that the American legal system has boiled down to luck in many regards, but what's worse is how that seems to be how so many actually want it to be.

"Oh, well, too bad for you, he was on a motorcycle and not in a car, and couldn't survive the collision. Your bad luck is going to cost you the rest of your life in prison. The other driver in LinkedM4's case managed to avoid the collision, so he gets to go on the rest of his life without ever knowing he even made the mistake."
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. You said "completely unintentional".  That would seem to absolve old dude of responsibility. I argue that his act that caused the motorcyclist's death was absolutely intentional. It just lacked ill intent.

View Quote

No, we're on the same page, sort of.  I don't think anything absolves the old man of any responsibility.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dude you're missing the point. Presumably that's why you think the analogy is flawed.  

The point is not that the driver did something wrong in either case. The point is that the driver did something without all the information. He didn't know a motorcycle was coming, and he didn't know he was speeding. Both of those things are "infractions". In both cases, there is a negative outcome. In both cases, the severity of that outcome is based on characteristics of the victim, NOT on the "relative dangerousness" of the action the driver is taking.

The point boils down to this: if in a million instances of something "wrong" happening with little or no impact, what makes the one-in-a-million case where it leads to a fatality any more special? Other than it hurts some feelings, it's not different at all.

You've most likely nearly killed someone before. We all have. Some of us know it, but many more go on about our lives and never even knew it. How does that make any of us an less culpable than this old man? The fact that we got lucky? I hate that the American legal system has boiled down to luck in many regards, but what's worse is how that seems to be how so many actually want it to be.

"Oh, well, too bad for you, he was on a motorcycle and not in a car, and couldn't survive the collision. Your bad luck is going to cost you the rest of your life in prison. The other driver in LinkedM4's case managed to avoid the collision, so he gets to go on the rest of his life without ever knowing he even made the mistake."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, fine, we say that what the driver would be doing in this situation wouldn't have an effect on the outcome, except to say that one speed is legal, and one is not. You're right though, the outcome is the same, and the driver has little control over that. That's the point. Should he be in more or less trouble then?

Now, suppose it's not a little girl. Suppose it's a grown man who ran out. The driver is wrong to accidentally go over the limit, but the severity of the outcome is different now that it's a grown man. So, what about the victim, or the victim's characteristics make the mistake on the part of the driver more or less of an issue. The same car at the same speed effects one victim different that the other. That's not something the driver has control over, and should not effect his punishment.

Not specifically related to this post is the bullshit about how some of us "would feel different if it was your loved one." My son is 4 years old, and he and most of the neighborhood kids play in the street all day. We parents know the possibilities. We know the dangers. I will not hold someone else responsible for the outcomes of mistakes they made when the outcome is based on my decisions, and not theirs. That's personal accountability, not begging to lock up the guy who made a mistake.

You answered your own question but  I underlined the answer anyways.   I dont consider that just to be hurt feelings.

You are right, ive nearly killed before with a vehicle.  I cant argue that.  But i think humans can do better
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Explain what the driver did that was negligent.

What actuon did he take that was not prudent or done without care?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Explain what the driver did that was negligent.

What actuon did he take that was not prudent or done without care?

750.324 Negligent homicide; penalty.
Sec. 324.
Any person who, by the operation of any vehicle upon any highway or upon any other property, public or private, at an immoderate rate of speed or in a careless, reckless or negligent manner, but not wilfully or wantonly, shall cause the death of another, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I'm not saying anything about this case.  I was just commenting on what Aimless said.  If this happened in Michigan, which I don't think it did, then it would be up to the prosecutor to decide if his actions met the standard set in the statute.  "Negligent homicide" is just what they decided to call it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I've seen people don't ever get more than a month, but the conviction will cause you problems for the rest of your life.

No more guns for you.
View Quote

Two years is the maximum penalty.  In the vast majority of all criminal cases, the sentence is shorter than the maximum.  A friend of mine rear ended a woman a few years ago and she died as a result.  IIRC, he didn't do any jail time but served something like 12 months probation because he had no other criminal history.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You answered your own question but  I underlined the answer anyways.   I dont consider that just to be hurt feelings.

You are right, ive nearly killed before with a vehicle.  I cant argue that.  But i think humans can do better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's interesting, because I didn't expect this to take that sort of turn. I think that humans can't do better, as in actually really can't in some cases. Human visual perception is complex, and it fails.

I wrote a long post going into detail, but I suspect it doesn't matter to anyone. Suffice it to say there are studies that show that in some cases, the harder you look for things, the more likely you are to miss something of critical importance. If you feel up to it, google "Gorilla Suit Experiment."
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's interesting, because I didn't expect this to take that sort of turn. I think that humans can't do better, as in actually really can't in some cases. Human visual perception is complex, and it fails.

I wrote a long post going into detail, but I suspect it doesn't matter to anyone. Suffice it to say there are studies that show that in some cases, the harder you look for things, the more likely you are to miss something of critical importance. If you feel up to it, google "Gorilla Suit Experiment."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think i know what you are talking about.  Brain games did gorilla suit a bunny and and a big chicken across the stage while you focus on counting other things on stage.  And i missed all the animals.
I think the 'humans can do better' may be the point i and a few others have been for all along, just unable to actually get that point across.

Id bet that if penalties would start being enforced, people would start paying attention.  Start with first offence dui - hurt someone during a dui?  Month in jail.  Killed?  A year.  I bet humans would start doing better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of you guys are just the worst. In one thread you complain about government being too involved in our lives. You talk about jury nullification, bash on law enforcement, and are generally 15 years old. And then in this thread you want traffic accidents to be crimes. You want simple negligence (as opposed to criminal negligence) to be sufficient to put someone in prison.

I'm glad the crazies on this site (who are also in the minority here, thankfully) have no real power over how the real world works.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're being ridiculous. To think any person can go a life time of driving without making a traffic violation or an unsafe driving movement by accident is idiotic.

And yes, he was driving lawfully. He was licensed to drive by the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was an accident involving two cars it might not have been more than a fender bender, followed by a ticket for the old guy.

Why does the same offense become so much more offensive when it involves a much more dangerous vehicle (motorcycle)?

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.

Your scenario is different. By you starting the fire, you're intentionally breaking the law. As far as I know, this guy was lawfully driving and had an accident. Accidents happen. Driving can be dangerous, especially on two wheels. People are aware of these risks and choose to drive anyway.

The old man killed him by accident, he didn't murder him. The purpose of sending someone to prison is to punish/rehabilitate so they are fit to rejoin society. I don't see any reason to send an 83 y.o to jail for this.

He was not driving lawfully. He made an unsafe turning movement.  Accidents do not "happen".  Collisions are caused.
There may have been no intent to cause a collision on the old dude's part but he chose to start a turning movement in a situation where it was not safe for him to do so.  He caused the collision.  It did not just "happen".  

You're being ridiculous. To think any person can go a life time of driving without making a traffic violation or an unsafe driving movement by accident is idiotic.

And yes, he was driving lawfully. He was licensed to drive by the state.

Argue that next time you get a ticket.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Two years is the maximum penalty.  In the vast majority of all criminal cases, the sentence is shorter than the maximum.  A friend of mine rear ended a woman a few years ago and she died as a result.  IIRC, he didn't do any jail time but served something like 12 months probation because he had no other criminal history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I've seen people don't ever get more than a month, but the conviction will cause you problems for the rest of your life.

No more guns for you.

is he a felon now?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kinda odd that he got any criminal charges over a regular traffic accident
View Quote

This.

People die in traffic accidents all the time and jail time isn't served.  Let alone charges brought up other than maybe a traffic citation.

Eta: Holy shit.  there are actually people *on this very forum* that think anytime someone dies in a traffic accident that hard time is served.  Do you people still think that Santa and the Easter bunny are real?!?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going with 'upstanding member of the community, veteran, hospital volunteer, church elder, Lions club, Mason ' has unfortunate accident with inkie out on probation, stoned on meth, speeding like a bat out of hell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:57:17 AM EDT
[#17]
He was convicted of "misdemeanor vehicular homicide".

Looking up Ohio's version of this law, it appears that the judge/jury believe the guy was negligent in some way that led to the death of the motorcyclist.

What that was, exactly, will probably be hard to determine, without court transcripts for this case.

So, in short, yes, you CAN face criminal charges for a traffic infraction. It seems some sort of negligence has to be involved,  though.

My GUESS is that the court felt the driver wasn't able to safely drive under the conditions and should have known that driving under said conditions could lead to injury or death to someone else on the road.

That's a WAG, though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

is he a felon now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No more guns for you.

is he a felon now?

I'm not sure whether or not he pled guilty to a felony or a lesser charge.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No kidding.  Criminal charges should be reserved for criminal acts.  

Sad as it is, motorcyclists need to realize they are small and tend to be overlooked in the landscape.  Ride at extreme risk only.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Sad as it is, motorcyclists need to realize they are small and tend to be overlooked in the landscape.  Ride at extreme risk only.  

This (absent the smiley) might be the only time I have ever truly disagreed with you, TBK.  I ride my bike with the assumption that every cage driver out there is actively plotting my demise already, but damn.  It is sentences like this that make it "no big deal" in the eyes of the average motorist.  Riding a motorcycle is such a risky proposition, BECAUSE people don't pay attention.  IMHO this guy should have been charged with vehicular manslaughter at the least.  I mean nobody would be shrugging and blowing this off if it was a child on a bicycle that he killed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this sort of thing normally not charged?

does not normally result in criminal charges, correct  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Failure to yield resulting in the death of another motorist.
Is this sort of thing normally not charged?

does not normally result in criminal charges, correct  

Well they charge the crap out of people here for that

Gr
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This (absent the smiley) might be the only time I have ever truly disagreed with you, TBK.  I ride my bike with the assumption that every cage driver out there is actively plotting my demise already, but damn.  It is sentences like this that make it "no big deal" in the eyes of the average motorist.  Riding a motorcycle is such a risky proposition, BECAUSE people don't pay attention.  IMHO this guy should have been charged with vehicular manslaughter at the least.  I mean nobody would be shrugging and blowing this off if it was a child on a bicycle that he killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

And he wasn't convicted of vehicular manslaughter. He was convicted of  vehicular homicide.

The court and jury sure wasn't shrugging it off.

This likely isn't a "normal" traffic infraction.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you negligently shoot someone, charges are entirely possible.

I don't see why negligently causing a death with a car should be different.
View Quote

As you said, POSSIBLE. Depends on the circumstance. In this case, the old man was engaged in an otherwise legal act (turning left on a green light) which only resulted in a collision based on failure to yield. Had he been turning left on a red light, the initial unlawful and reckless behavior would have supported a higher charge. This, from what we know, does NOT rise to that level.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top