Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are young people who are exactly the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda odd that he got any criminal charges over a regular traffic accident

my guess is not a regular traffic accident.  My guess is blind as a bat and oblivious as hell oldster with previous infractions that should not have been driving turned right in front of a biker and killed him.

I'm sick of almost getting hit  both in cars and on my bike by these ancient drivers that literally have no idea what's going on around them.  DMV needs a test for old drivers where once a year you have to get a stamp on your license, as you walk in the door someone tosses you a tennis ball, if you fail to react to that ball at all, just turn right the hell around, get on the bus and go home, your driving days are over.  

I know it's hard to surrender the ability to drive,  but these very old, near sighted, slow thinking old people are terrors on the road.  I've had several near misses with people who literally didn't realize they almost hit or killed someone.

There are young people who are exactly the same.

I almost got hit by a twenty-something woman who was texting just a few weeks ago....

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Might end up being a life sentence.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this sort of thing normally not charged?

does not normally result in criminal charges, correct  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Failure to yield resulting in the death of another motorist.

does not normally result in criminal charges, correct  

It does in Virginia.  But we have fucked up traffic laws in general.

Edited.  Wrong code section..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

A regular traffic accident?

Clear day, good vis, left turn into the path of another motorist, resulting in the death of the innocent motorist. That's vehicular manslaughter, not a regular traffic accident.

Seems like a bias against bikers in this thread. If the dead motorist had been a young college girl (a Republican due to good upbringing), on her way from volunteering at the local nursing home and on her way to a shooting competition, would you feel differently?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe there is negligence bordering on intent....like was claimed about Oscar Pistorius.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe there is negligence bordering on intent....like was claimed about Oscar Pistorius.
View Quote

The Pistorius case was a mess - this looked to be a simple traffic accident with an unfortunate end
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  People speed, even excessively, everyday without collision.  But every time somebody fails to yield and turns in front of an oncoming vehicle, a collision, or near collision occurs.

And when you're speeding, you're paying attention to the road.  When somebody fails to yield to oncoming traffic, it's because they were not paying attention to the road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd coming from someone defending the speeding motorcyclist in Israel?  Excessive speed on an unprotected conveyance is not negligent?  

Speeding is nowhere near as negligent as turning in front of a vehicle due to failure to yield or crossing into their lane.

Yes, it most certainly is.

Bullshit.  People speed, even excessively, everyday without collision.  But every time somebody fails to yield and turns in front of an oncoming vehicle, a collision, or near collision occurs.

And when you're speeding, you're paying attention to the road.  When somebody fails to yield to oncoming traffic, it's because they were not paying attention to the road.

Bullshit right back 'atcha - not paying attention (driver distraction) and speeding are generally considered the top two reasons for fatal vehicle accidents in America. To say one is more negligent than the other is kind of silly since the result is the same.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One is blatantly reckless and the other likely an honest oversight. Deliberate negligencevs a simple mistake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see a difference in the negligence of shooting at what you think is a deer in a bush and turning into what you think is a clear lane.

One is blatantly reckless and the other likely an honest oversight. Deliberate negligencevs a simple mistake.

You didn't do well on the bar, did you?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would blowing a stop sign be different.

Just the other day, I came to a 4 way stop. Before I proceeded, a car came from my left at about 50mph and blew the sign. Not even a tap of the brakes. He would surely have killed me, had I not been paying attention (I always look both ways before going at any traffic device).

Would he have been criminal? It's just a failure to yield.
View Quote

Yes. Running a stop sign is a minor misdemeanor in OH, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The rider worked at one of the local gun shops from what I've heard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh this is local to me and I am fairly plugged into the "motorcycle culture" , this is the first i have heard of it

The rider worked at one of the local gun shops from what I've heard.

Maybe glock19 is dead but doesn't know it.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see a difference in the negligence of shooting at what you think is a deer in a bush and turning into what you think is a clear lane.

I don't hang out at bars.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I
Quoted:

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort

in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was an accident involving two cars it might not have been more than a fender bender, followed by a ticket for the old guy.

Why does the same offense become so much more offensive when it involves a much more dangerous vehicle (motorcycle)?

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort

in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.

Apples and oranges. If you start a fire in a no burn zone you are purposely committing a illeagal act. This was a accident he had no premeditation to do anything wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.
View Quote

Holy shit...  full retard and all. So, death penalty for an "accident" got it.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is NO excuse.  As a licensed driver it is fully your responsibility to look out for all forms of traffic on the road.  People don't see motorcycles because they don't look hard enough.  They aren't devoting the due amount of attention required to operate a motor vehicle safely.

You KNOW motorcycles are out there on the road, so fucking look out for them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has to serve two days in jail on the anniversary of the passing of the victim?  That is a strange sentence.  Is something like that normal?

I have heard of sentences that are served only on weekends, but nothing like that.

Jail time over a traffic offense isn't normal at all I would think. Gonna guess that all the upset folks are bikers.

I'm a biker and I'm not upset at all. Sometimes there are honest to goodness accidents. Just because the guy didn't yield doesn't mean he deliberately pulled out in front of the guy. He probably didn't see the motorcycle. It's a chance you take when you ride a bike. People can not see bikes as well as a car.

That is NO excuse.  As a licensed driver it is fully your responsibility to look out for all forms of traffic on the road.  People don't see motorcycles because they don't look hard enough.  They aren't devoting the due amount of attention required to operate a motor vehicle safely.

You KNOW motorcycles are out there on the road, so fucking look out for them.

Dem pipes, brah. Loudener them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyone who rides knows that people are not going to pay attention and can kill them easily. Normally, you will be lucky if they even get a traffic ticket for killing someone. In this case you had someone cross in front of a bike resulting in his death. For everyone saying "whoops, his bad. Just an accident". What would you say if he had run over someone in the cross walk because he didn't see them? Is that still just an accident, or is that now a crime?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has to serve two days in jail on the anniversary of the passing of the victim?  That is a strange sentence.  Is something like that normal?

I have heard of sentences that are served only on weekends, but nothing like that.
View Quote

Do you want to pay for all the medical expenses he's going to rack up every day he's in state custody?  You put a body in jail you own all of its expenses. Jail is expensive and old people are even more expensive.

I once worked a case were an old dude tried to cut his wife's throat.  He said she was a bitch and his kids concurred.  Mean old lady fought him off from her wheelchair.  We were able to trace the fight through the house by following the blood spray. He was just bummed that he waited so long that he lacked the strength to do the job right. Anyway, dude was dead to rights property of the State of Commifornia but he never went to trial and spent his remaining days in a nice secure convalescent home happy to be away from that tough old bitch that he'd shackled himself to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Motorcycle accident threads are as bad as the JBT vs cop basher threads.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Like the retards splitting lanes at >60mph that get taken out? Weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic and acting shocked when they get smashed?

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The left turn at the intersection in front of the biker is by far the most common motorcycle accident. It took my brother out and several others I know. Kinda sick of the moronic complacency and lack of situational awareness of fucking car drivers.

Like the retards splitting lanes at >60mph that get taken out? Weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic and acting shocked when they get smashed?

lol

That, in a nutshell, is exactly how I dam near smushed a biker on the Costa Mesa freeway.  I still remembered the surprised look on his face as he came within an ace of becoming an instant 60mph paint job on concrete.  That Fucker.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Unless he did it on purpose or otherwise had some sort of malicious intent, I'm actually surprised there were criminal charges. It was an accident.

And I say this as a motorcyclist. Shit happens.
View Quote

Never heard of "vehicular homicide"? In some states it falls under the category of "negligent homicide."

It depends on the state, of course, but usually it's applied in cases where someone is killed because of "reckless" driving or intoxication. The jury would decide if the driver was "reckless."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Old people drive worse than drunk meth heads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why would one negligence (improper operation of a car) be OK and another negligence (shooting of another person, unintentionally) be a crime under some circumstances?
View Quote

Now this is a great question.

It's an extremely grey area of the law. There is no cut-and-dry method. It's up to the DA to decide if the facts in the case are worth pursuing for criminal negligence (negligent / vehicular homicide). Then they have to prove to the jury that the defendant was guilty of -- for lack of a better term -- "super-duper-negligence" (recklessness). Simply pulling out in front of an oncoming car probably won't get you there, unless of course the driver was intoxicated.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]
It's rare for the judge to hand down jail time for the accident, which tells me that pops fucked up somehow. Maybe not drunk, but something negligent was there beyond a simple traffic accident. Maybe pops had ten accidents already that week. Maybe he should be wearing glasses and wasn't at the time.

No one here has that info, despite best efforts at speculation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What are you going to take from an 83 year old who is likely living on social security?
View Quote

Maybe some out of his insurance company, but likely not going to much of anything.

A lien against his house and/or garnishments from his retirement unless he files bankruptcy.

They won't hurt him so much as they will his heirs.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Sadly, this is the America we live in now. Everything is a slap on the wrist. If this was a real country, of laws, then if you do something stupid and someone dies because of it then you would never see the light of day again. It'll never happen because liberals won't allow it, but it should.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
What happens in the cases where someone has a ND and injures or kills someone?

Seems like the same thing as this scenario.  Completely unintentional.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll say.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Never heard of "vehicular homicide"? In some states it falls under the category of "negligent homicide."

It depends on the state, of course, but usually it's applied in cases where someone is killed because of "reckless" driving or intoxication. The jury would decide if the driver was "reckless."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless he did it on purpose or otherwise had some sort of malicious intent, I'm actually surprised there were criminal charges. It was an accident.

And I say this as a motorcyclist. Shit happens.

So turning left at a light is reckless driving?  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qapndc.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qapndc.jpg

You must have missed it.

It's officially STUPID FRIDAY!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you going to take from an 83 year old who is likely living on social security?

Maybe some out of his insurance company, but likely not going to much of anything.

A lien against his house and/or garnishments from his retirement unless he files bankruptcy.

They won't hurt him so much as they will his heirs.

OP should change the thread title to THE OFFICIAL STUPID FRIDAY THREAD!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe these things should be based on outcome as well as intent.  

For example:

Goober has a ND at an elementary school, shoots a round into the ground and no one is hurt.  I would make them attend remedial training on their own dime to get their carry permit back, pay for damages, and a significant fine.  Otherwise they'd be okay.

Goober has a ND at the range, shoots a man in the back and kills him.  I would put someone like this in jail for 20 years or more.

Intent matters, but so does the outcome.  We have jails full of people who committed victimless crimes, but people who kill others with ignorance and obliviousness are allowed to roam about freely.  When actions begin to have consequences our society will take a more responsible approach to everything.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sadly, this is the America we live in now. Everything is a slap on the wrist. If this was a real country, of laws, then if you do something stupid and someone dies because of it then you would never see the light of day again. It'll never happen because liberals won't allow it, but it should.
View Quote
Damon dude we already have more people in prison than any other country. You want to build whole prison cities?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damon dude we already have more people in prison than any other country. You want to build whole prison cities?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, we need to set aside some land in Alaska for them to work on. Large work camps in the frozen north, been done before I know...and worked then too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No, we need to set aside some land in Alaska for them to work on. Large work camps in the frozen north, been done before I know...and worked then too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most prisoners didn't kill anyone.  Some of them haven't harmed others in any way, and are in jail for Malum Prohibitum violations.  Jail should be strictly for those who harm others; arson, assault, larceny, murder, rape, robbery or anything that actually has a victim, including negligent homicide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Key word here is ACCIDENT. I'm sure the man will punish himself mentally more than a court ever could. I know I would.
View Quote

It's called an auto accident not an auto intentional.  This thread has gone plaid (on the retard scale)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.13newsnow.com/story/life/2014/10/24/83-year-old-gets-unique-two-day-sentence-in-fatal-crash/17829629/

Two days, to be served on the next two anniversaries of the motorcyclists death. Along with two years probation, loss of drivers license for those two years, 100 hours community service, and must write a letter of apology.

Edit: From an older article, headed south, he turned left at an unprotected green light in front of the motorcyclist traveling north.

View Quote

83 yr old
WTF
He shouldn't even have a DL

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For example:

Goober has a ND at an elementary school, shoots a round into the ground and no one is hurt.  I would make them attend remedial training on their own dime to get their carry permit back, pay for damages, and a significant fine.  Otherwise they'd be okay.

Goober has a ND at the range, shoots a man in the back and kills him.  I would put someone like this in jail for 20 years or more.

Intent matters, but so does the outcome.  We have jails full of people who committed victimless crimes, but people who kill others with ignorance and obliviousness are allowed to roam about freely.  When actions begin to have consequences our society will take a more responsible approach to everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For example:

The ND into a guys back is the same thing as the old man in the OPs story, IMO.

Im kinda torn on the punishment.  On one hand, it was an accident.  On the other hand, someone is dead, at no fault of their own, because of that accident.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.
But don't steal or you deserve to be burned alive, even if you're a small child.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#44]
So if the old fart kills someone driving because he had his head up his ass, its just one of those things you suppose...

If the old fart had a couple of beers under his belt and did the same thing it would be pound your ass prison time.

So what you clowns are saying is its okay to kill behind the wheel, just be sober doing it.

WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING HYPOCRITES!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Failure to yield resulting in the death of another motorist.

No, it's not, minus any aggravating factors.   It's a death resulting from a traffic accident and the driver certainly faces civil liability but not criminal.

like dui where there is a death?   The guy is a murderer, his negligence killed someone. This is not a civil matter this is criminal, hope the guy dies painfully

I'm not getting some of you posters, you're all up in arms when its the "my baby didn't do nuthin" crowd making excuses for their family members actions. What is so hard to understand that actions have consequences, if your actions kill someone you are responsible. You guys are really quick to allow someone off, who killed an innocent person
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What do you want? Jail the old man for an accident? You must be an overemotional motorcyclist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you want? Jail the old man for an accident? You must be an overemotional motorcyclist.

I've delt with his type before on the road.
Instead of focusing on the road these motorcyclists think everyone has done an injustice to them and they spend 1/2 the time not watching the road trying to let others know of said I justices.

I'm sooooo tired of motorcyclists in my area, most think they are above everyone else just because the lack of metal around their bodies while on road.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd be willing to bet that gramps either has a long traffic record, behaved like a dick during arrest/in court, admitted to 'not looking', or not wearing glasses when he was meant to be.

If people who are of known diminished capacity (drunks) are meant to get fucked when they kill someone, then someone who's theoretically sober and aware of their limitations should be as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's an extremely grey area of the law. There is no cut-and-dry method. It's up to the DA to decide if the facts in the case are worth pursuing for criminal negligence (negligent / vehicular homicide). Then they have to prove to the jury that the defendant was guilty of -- for lack of a better term -- "super-duper-negligence" (recklessness). Simply pulling out in front of an oncoming car probably won't get you there, unless of course the driver was intoxicated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would one negligence (improper operation of a car) be OK and another negligence (shooting of another person, unintentionally) be a crime under some circumstances?

Here's your answer.  It is very simple.

Can the judge or jury picture themselves doing the exact same thing as the Defendant and concluding that but for the grace of God go I.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drivers at fault in crashes resulting in death are always charged unless they were having an immediate medical emergency (siezure, heart attack, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

People die in traffic accidents everyday. People cause traffic accidents that end people's lives everyday. Plenty of people don't get charged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People die in traffic accidents everyday. People cause traffic accidents that end people's lives everyday. Plenty of people don't get charged.

That's a completely foreign concept to me.

If I cause a death because of my negligence I shouldn't be accountable for the other person's life?

Does the value of a person's life diminish once they get into a vehile?

If your fuck up kills someone there SHOULD be a penalty for the loss of life you caused.

Here it's charged (justly so) as "negligent homicide."  You don't get to say "my bad" and walk away as if it was just some fender bender.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top