Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.
View Quote

What do you want? Jail the old man for an accident? You must be an overemotional motorcyclist.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They both had greens. The elderly mans was an unprotected green for turning, IE yield to oncoming traffic, he didn't.

No report on speeds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The light was green?      Why did the motorcyclist hit him?    What were their respective speeds?

They both had greens. The elderly mans was an unprotected green for turning, IE yield to oncoming traffic, he didn't.

No report on speeds.

With a head on or a T-bone on a bike it doesn't have to be fast to be fatal.  Cars don't give much.

RIP.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised he was charged criminally.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was an accident involving two cars it might not have been more than a fender bender, followed by a ticket for the old guy.

Why does the same offense become so much more offensive when it involves a much more dangerous vehicle (motorcycle)?

Almost everything is based on the consequences of the action, not the action itself, shouldn't this not be the same way?

If I start a fire in a no burn area it is going to be a simple ticket.

If I start a fire in a no burn area and it goes out of control into a wild fire... I am looking at a lot more than a ticket.

Why is my punishment different, if my offense was the same?

I believe consequences should be based on the results of our actions, but apparently it doesn't work that way in this case. I am sure the family of the 26 year old take comfort in knowing this man should have just received a ticket for failure to yield.

He did receive an elevated sentence.

He would not have to serve 2 days in jail and 100 hours of community service if his failure to yield had not resulted in a fatality.

It was an accident. Or are you suggesting that he intentionally harmed the motorcyclist?

Did you start your fire on accident? Say a spark from the exhaust of a piece of power equipment or a hot catalytic convertor? Or deliberately strike a match?

I think you are trying too hard to make this fit your obvious agenda.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a rider, It isnt even shocking anymore.  All someone has to do, specially if they are old, is use the "i didnt even see them" and/or "they were going so fast" and at worse they get a citation for failure to yield.
View Quote

Does that make someone a special snowflake ? I am serious. I used to ride and sold my bike long ago. Bikes are dangerous and what may otherwise be a fender bender normally, can easily be fatal on a bike. People CHOOSE to ride things like bikes that are more dangerous then say a Lincoln. I am no more responsible to look for you then you are responsible to look out for me. It was an accident.

He is 83 and 83 year old folks don't see as well or have the same reaction times as younger folks. I bet at 83 he drives much better then some of the young kids I see on bikes. I am sure he feels horrible as anyone would in a tragic traffic accident that caused a fatality whether driving a bike or a van. It was not criminal, he is responsible civilly though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Would blowing a stop sign be different.

Just the other day, I came to a 4 way stop. Before I proceeded, a car came from my left at about 50mph and blew the sign. Not even a tap of the brakes. He would surely have killed me, had I not been paying attention (I always look both ways before going at any traffic device).

Would he have been criminal? It's just a failure to yield.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just the other day, I came to a 4 way stop. Before I proceeded, a car came from my left at about 50mph and blew the sign. Not even a tap of the brakes. He would surely have killed me, had I not been paying attention (I always look both ways before going at any traffic device).

View Quote

Was he just being a reckless driver and saw the sign and just blew through it ? Or was he a 83 year old who made a mistake and didn't see it ? Was he driving recklessly and speeding ? These things would influence my decision.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe making negligence subject to increased punishment will make people less negligent.  It seems to have worked for DUIs.
View Quote

Odd coming from someone defending the speeding motorcyclist in Israel?  Excessive speed on an unprotected conveyance is not negligent?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, it's not, minus any aggravating factors.   It's a death resulting from a traffic accident and the driver certainly faces civil liability but not criminal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda odd that he got any criminal charges over a regular traffic accident
Failure to yield resulting in the death of another motorist.

Is this sort of thing normally not charged?

No, it's not, minus any aggravating factors.   It's a death resulting from a traffic accident and the driver certainly faces civil liability but not criminal.

like dui where there is a death?   The guy is a murderer, his negligence killed someone. This is not a civil matter this is criminal, hope the guy dies painfully
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

like dui where there is a death?   The guy is a murderer, his negligence killed someone. This is not a civil matter this is criminal, hope the guy dies painfully
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you hate Laura Bush, too?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#13]
lol GD hates motorcyclist
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Read the thread and try to apply a little critical thinking to your question.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying.

I don't see a difference in the negligence of shooting at what you think is a deer in a bush and turning into what you think is a clear lane.

We have charges like manslaughter for unintentionally causing a death. I'm honestly not getting why someone gets let off because they accidentally used a car to kill someone vs accidentally using a rifle.

I do tend to hold people very accountable for their actions regardless of their intention.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

People die in traffic accidents everyday. People cause traffic accidents that end people's lives everyday. Plenty of people don't get charged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill someone because of your negligence, should just get a traffic citation. the people in this thread.

People die in traffic accidents everyday. People cause traffic accidents that end people's lives everyday. Plenty of people don't get charged.

and yet arfcom hates the idea of self driving cars.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't see a difference in the negligence of shooting at what you think is a deer in a bush and turning into what you think is a clear lane.
View Quote

One is blatantly reckless and the other likely an honest oversight. Deliberate negligence vs a simple mistake.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I suppose it could be like in Virginia...Reckless Driving (drive to endanger life, limb or property) is a Class 1 misdemeanor, you could theoretically go to jail for up to a year.  

I had an uncle killed by an old guy who tried to (unsuccessfully) pass him on a double yellow line.  Old guy was charged with reckless, was found guilty and was given a suspended sentence, small fine, and lost his license for a period of time.

The standard for more serious charges in relation to traffic crash deaths in Virginia is set pretty high.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this case he plead guilty to a misdemeanor motor vehicle homicide charge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  Very unusual.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone that gets away with murder due to their negligence deserves to die
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh Deer Lord. It is stupid Friday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh Deer Lord. It is stupid Friday.

I'm sure you'd be laughing if it was your family member, killed by someone else's negligence
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm trying.

We have charges like manslaughter for unintentionally causing a death. I'm honestly not getting why someone gets let off because they accidentally used a car to kill someone vs accidentally using a rifle.

I do tend to hold people very accountable for their actions regardless of their intention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying.

im with this guy.  im not saying the man is a murderer and to lock the old man away and throw away the key.  2 days is probably about right in this case, assuming it really was an accident.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#26]
although a bunch of you see this as a travesty, I'm surprised any criminal charges were brought.

Was "justice" served? I dont know. I think this entire sentence too harsh.  Any more would have been absurb for an 83 year old.

I ride a motorcycle every day unless there is Ice on the ground, which doesnt happen often in Dallas. I have been in the situation the rider was in, as has my daughter who was injured, requiring multiple surgeries, due to a left turner.  I say this so you know, I do know what it's like
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Clearly, you have no idea what the legal definition of murder actually is...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a rider as well and anyone calling for the driver to face serious criminal charges is not thinking clearly.

Old people driving piss me off too but it's a slippery slope calling for criminal negligence.

Besides, he's probably going to get hammered in a civil suit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The left turn at the intersection in front of the biker is by far the most common motorcycle accident. It took my brother out and several others I know. Kinda sick of the moronic complacency and lack of situational awareness of fucking car drivers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Oh Deer Lord please stop....I can't breathe....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's wishing you some karma..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably not.   His auto insurance carrier will respond, settle for policy limits, and that will be it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not discussing "legal" definitions, if your actions or mistakes deprive someone of their life call it what you will, I'll call it what it is
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
As a motorcycle rider, I accepted long ago that the task of staying alive rested entirely on my own shoulders.

They tell you in the class that the streets are full of people who can and will kill you. They're not kidding.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Odd coming from someone defending the speeding motorcyclist in Israel?  Excessive speed on an unprotected conveyance is not negligent?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe making negligence subject to increased punishment will make people less negligent.  It seems to have worked for DUIs.

Speeding is nowhere near as negligent as turning in front of a vehicle due to failure to yield or crossing into their lane.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

not discussing "legal" definitions, if your actions or mistakes deprive someone of their life call it what you will, I'll call it what it is
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? So every soldier who has killed someone in the line of duty is a murderer then?

Words mean things, regardless of your mouth-frothing, full-retard, ranting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
 That's why they are called "accidents".
View Quote

No such thing as an accident, just different degrees of negligence.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is there to be gained by criminal action against the old guy?  Accidents happen when we interact with one another in ways which involve physics.  He made it 83 years without engaging in criminal conduct, and this was likely a <common occurrence> oversight.  Drive accordingly, and if you are smart, avoid riding motorcycles.

Because of his negligence, he killed someone. There needs to be punishment. A year in prison should suffice.

Also, driving tests should be done yearly after age 65.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Speeding is nowhere near as negligent as turning in front of a vehicle due to failure to yield or crossing into their lane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it most certainly is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

you are most wanted in the next "oops, warrantless cops no-knock entry wrong house, homeowner/kid/dog flashbanged/shot/dead" thread.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Probably not.   His auto insurance carrier will respond, settle for policy limits, and that will be it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless the old timer is a person of means, this.  Not sure where people think bazillion dollar payouts come from.  If the person has a load of money that is one thing, otherwise you will get whatever coverage they have been paying for with their insurance company.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why thank you sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's wishing you some karma..

Why thank you sir.

How some people manage to figure out how to log on is stunning. Figuring out the definition of murder is to challenging... We failed as a society to better educate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Huh this is local to me and I am fairly plugged into the "motorcycle culture" , this is the first i have heard of it
View Quote

The rider worked at one of the local gun shops from what I've heard.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  People speed, even excessively, everyday without collision.  But every time somebody fails to yield and turns in front of an oncoming vehicle, a collision, or near collision occurs.

And when you're speeding, you're paying attention to the road.  When somebody fails to yield to oncoming traffic, it's because they were not paying attention to the road.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Really? So every soldier who has killed someone in the line of duty is a murderer then?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not ranting,or frothing, I am not talking about war either, nice strawman. I am discussing someone who, through their actions killed someone. If you are ok with people killing your loved ones and then saying"oops, my bad" and giving them a free pass that is your choice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#49]
The old guy should have to be the biker's family's butler.

I think that would be fair.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it's stupid friday.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top