Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Again, there should be a big Steam sale (and other services as well that compete like Origin and Green Man Gaming) here in a few days for Halloween. Wait before making any game purchases. There will also be one at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We'll see how well you have done with your rig, little Padawan:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Arma 3 and all the good mods.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and download the "Complete" mod for Stalker.

You'll thank me profusely.

It boosts the graphics, increases the number of guns, and fixes about a billion bugs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finally picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Steam.  I was bored last weekend and realized I hadn't tried it, despite so much good press over the years.

My favorite PC games have been Portal, Half Life (any of 'em), Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands/Borderlands 2, and Saint's Row 2 and 3.

Please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and download the "Complete" mod for Stalker.

It boosts the graphics, increases the number of guns, and fixes about a billion bugs.

Will do- thanks for the info.  

Right now I am just running from dogs, trying to pop them with a pea-shootin' Makarov.  I got my first machine gun, but am still learning the ropes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, check it out, AMD is giving me 3 of these games for free.

Which do I pick?

Saints Row IV
Tomb Raider
Hitman Absolution
Sleeping Dogs
Dirt 3
Murdered: Soul Suspect™
Dungeon Siege III
Alan Wake®
Darksiders 1
Titan Quest Gold Edition
Supreme Commander Gold Edition
Just Cause 2™
Sniper Elite 3
Alien Vs. Predator
Napoleon Total War
Company of Heroes 2
Alien Isolation
PayDay 2
Total War: SHOGUN 2
Star Citizen
Guacamelee! DYAD
DYAD The Banner Saga
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
DYADTales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Guacamelee!
Space Run Habitat
The Banner Saga
View Quote

Both of the total War titles, though Shogun is better

Star Citizen

CoH2

Soul Suspect is good if your into campaign only, horror-genre. All the demons sound like Ringwraiths.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though it's old, the original Crysis and Crysis warhead a good starting point.  They still  look great, and are better than their sequels.  3 looks great but they lose they open world options that made the original so good.
Starcraft 2 (both wings and HotS)kick ass fast paced rts
Battlefield 4 - now that it's been patched this is the premier online fps on pc.
Witcher 2 - one of the best RPGs I've played. Gotta play it twice to get the whole game. In game choices vastly effect the game
Sins:rebellion:  awesome, slow paced sci-fi rts, huge scale.
Supreme commander: forged alliance - another oldie but goodie. Huge scale.
Arma3 - combat "sim".
TesV: skyrim - even if you played it on console, it's worth checking (and sinking 200 hours into)  out on pc.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Okay, check it out, AMD is giving me 3 of these games for free.

Which do I pick?

Saints Row IV
Tomb Raider
Hitman Absolution
Sleeping Dogs
Dirt 3
Murdered: Soul Suspect™
Dungeon Siege III
Alan Wake®
Darksiders 1
Titan Quest Gold Edition
Supreme Commander Gold Edition
Just Cause 2™
Sniper Elite 3
Alien Vs. Predator
Napoleon Total War
Company of Heroes 2
Alien Isolation
PayDay 2
Total War: SHOGUN 2
Star Citizen
Guacamelee! DYAD
DYAD The Banner Saga
DYADTales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Guacamelee!
Space Run Habitat
The Banner Saga
View Quote

I'm pretty sure I have an extra Just Cause 2 key you can have.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right now I am just running from dogs, trying to pop them with a pea-shootin' Makarov.  I got my first machine gun, but am still learning the ropes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finally picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Steam.  I was bored last weekend and realized I hadn't tried it, despite so much good press over the years.

My favorite PC games have been Portal, Half Life (any of 'em), Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands/Borderlands 2, and Saint's Row 2 and 3.

Get a shotgun.  Until you get the combat and controls down, it will be much more useful than a machine gun that you'll run out of ammo for.
Plus, just like in real life, against unarmored opponents like dogs and hogs, it is far more effective.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks like I'm going to get Elite Sniper 3, Alien Isolation and Alan Wake.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Mass Effect series (play them in order, obviously)

Skyrim is amazing, learn to use the mods (very easy with a manager program like Nexus Mod Manager)

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are awesome, but you have to mod them a bit to really enjoy them. They are a bit unstable as they are sold.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to try out some free games, Planetside 2 is pretty epic and MechWarrior Online is the current iteration of like, my favorite game series.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I just downloaded AirMech since I loved Herzog Zwei.

Looks like Arma 3 is free on Steam right now.

Isn't that the FPS the Army put out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with Diablo 3 - but I'm somewhat of a fan boy and play Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, and WoW too...

I would add Arma 3, DayZ, and Minecraft to the list as well.

I just downloaded AirMech since I loved Herzog Zwei.

Looks like Arma 3 is free on Steam right now.

Isn't that the FPS the Army put out?

yeah and the zombie mod for Arma 3 is openish alpha, if i don't go camping this weekend i may try it out.

Arma 2 is worth the price just for wasteland and some of the dayz style mods.

Metro and Last light are epic single player games.

Epoch that's the mod for Arma 3 the Arma 2 version was pretty boss building bases on a persistent server is cool.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Total Annihilation
Fallout
Arcanum
XCom UFO Defense
Eve Online
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
ID Software's Doom reboot when it is released, I can't wait for that one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get a shotgun.  Until you get the combat and controls down, it will be much more useful than a machine gun that you'll run out of ammo for.
Plus, just like in real life, against unarmored opponents like dogs and hogs, it is far more effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always try to land an MP5 or AKS74u and ambush one of the military guys south of the cordon town. They've got AK's and Abakan rifles. That lasts a long while until I can get something better preferably with a scope.

One more thing: When you find the wish granter, and "beat" the game, you really didn't. There is about an hour more of gameplay. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I always try to land an MP5 or AKS74u and ambush one of the military guys south of the cordon town. They've got AK's and Abakan rifles. That lasts a long while until I can get something better preferably with a scope.
One more thing: When you find the wish granter, and "beat" the game, you really didn't. There is about an hour more of gameplay. Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely save the game BEFORE you go into the Sarcophagus so you can replay it since there are numerous possible endings, depending on the path you follow and the choices you make.  And make sure you have  Fang's decoder if you want the actual ending.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Green Man Gaming sale started today:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Just putting this out there.

I picked up Just Cause 2 last night.

That game is hilarious. It's like the game devs took the best parts of saints row and GTA and put them together in a military shooter, with a little throwback to the NES Bionic Commando.

Fuck yeah.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Just Cause.  Why is Rico blowing everything up?  Just cause.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Killing Floor
View Quote

This!  Not the most high tech game out there, it is very addictive!   Now I wanna go kill some floors.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Again, there should be a big Steam sale (and other services as well that compete like Origin and Green Man Gaming) here in a few days for Halloween. Wait before making any game purchases. There will also be one at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
View Quote

We are playing Anno 2070 and Company of Heroes 2 for the most part now with the occasional Minecraft and Sins of A Solar Empire thrown in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I only have time to play BF4. Takes up enough of my time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw that Freespace 2 was mentioned. If you buy that get the updated mods from  hard light productions.  They have also completed their Battlestar Galactica spin off, Diaspora: Shattered Armistice. And its free.Hard Light Productions Forums - Index
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
KSP is the greatest damn gave ever
http://i.imgur.com/YcYFirB.gif
View Quote

It finally went into Beta .9.  We haven't even played the final product yet
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Do yourself a favor and buy the original XCOM: UFO Defense and then the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Enemy Within
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
OP get X-Com.  For the love of god get X-COM
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Easily the best strategy game ever devised.

EASILY.

And it was from the fucking 90's.

No game will make you care about your men like X-COM will. When you spend in game years bringing a boot ass recruit up to Commander with no critical injuries and they have 200 kills, and then they die? Doesn't matter if you saved that game every step of the way or not, it's soul crushing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I only have time to play BF4. Takes up enough of my time.
View Quote
Same here, don't have time to learn a new game and BF4 is rocking now.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

EASILY.

No game will make you care about your men like X-COM will. When you spend in game years bringing a boot ass recruit up to Commander with no critical injuries and they have 200 kills, and then they die? Doesn't matter if you saved that game every step of the way or not, it's soul crushing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EASILY.

I would say that Jagged Alliance is a better turn based strategy game.  The character interactions are absolutely hilarious, and the game mechanics are spot on and insanely tough.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Arma III and different mods
DayZ
7 Days to Die
Life is Feudal
iRacing
Rust
The Evil Within
The Forest
View Quote

Good list.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just found out they put the entire island from Lost in the game, going to have to reinstall Just Cause 2.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#32]
If you like in depth strategy then get Crusader Kings 2. It takes a few hours to get over the hump but once you're in the flow of it it's amazing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Total Annihilation

Fallout

Arcanum

XCom UFO Defense

Eve Online
View Quote
Probably my favorite of all time.  Not sure if it would work on today's computers.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Just bought Shadow of Mordor a few days ago.

Holy fuck that game is awesome. Especially since it combines the best elements of both the Batman games and the Assassins Creed series with a LOTR theme.

The Nemesis system is beautiful, watching the Macbethian rise and fall of Orc Captains and Warchiefs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Fallout New Vegas - FPS RPG
Deus Ex Human revolution - FPS RPG
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within - Turn based strategy
Hitman Absolution - Stealth
Company Of Heroes (either one) - RTS
Dishonored - Stealth
Silent hunter III - submarine sim - kinda old....
Planetary annihilation - RTS on a huge scale
Total War: Shogun 2 - RTS With fuckin ninjas
Tropico 5- kinda RTS/kinda sim city....It's like sim-island with communists, it's great.
Kerbal space program - This game will teach you a lot, actually. It's a space-program sim - don't you fucking dare let jeb kerman die.
Warframe - Free to play space-ninja action game
Star Citizen will be pretty sweet  -space....thing
Crysis - The original, and imo strongest of the series
Insurgency - Multiplayer-focused FPS. it's harsh, like battlefield with realism and no vehicles.
Portal, portal 2 - yes you need them
STALKER - FPS - get call of pripyat first, shadow of chernobyl second, and clear sky at your own risk, that one is buggy
FTL - Strategy
SpaceChem - puzzle
GRID, Grid Autosport - Racing, multi-discipline
Test Drive Unlimited 2 - Open world racing, really fun.
Tomb Raider - Third person shooter/rpg - actually a really well done game.
Sins Of a solar empire - RTS in space. Rebellion is standalone, it's basically trinity with a small expansion for super-capital ships.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Probably my favorite of all time.  Not sure if it would work on today's computers.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total Annihilation
Fallout
Arcanum
XCom UFO Defense
Eve Online

It does, i play it yearly with an old friend.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Steam just started a Halloween sale.

Games you should strongly consider:
Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition, $6.79
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, $4.99
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, $6.24
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition, $6.79
Killing Floor, $4.99
Postal 2, $2.49
STALKER series, various titles, $4.99 each
Arma 2: Complete Collection, $7.99 (for some reason you can't search for this package, you have to go into Games -> Simulations -> Top Sellers to find it)
Payday 2, $10.19, play it (or the demo) a few times and then if you like it, get the firearm DLCs (Mod Courier especially) for some awesome toys. You do not need the DLCs to play with people with the DLCs, just to use those weapons yourself or be the host of a game running a DLC mission.

If it isn't on sale this week, wait until Black Friday when the traditional winter sale kicks off and see if the game you want is available then.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kerbal Space Program - build spaceships from hundreds of parts (solid boosters, fuel tanks, rockets, decouplers, etc) and launch them into space, land on other planets, build space stations, etc. Takes some learning of orbital mechanics (youtube helps) as its somewhat realistic. Best game I've played in a long time.

View Quote

Yep. KSP is freaking awesome.
Space Engineers, despite having a stupid name, is a fun game.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best games of all fucking time ever forever, eleven. Fuck. I bought that game in the store when it first came out and found that it had a game breaking bug where you couldn't get into the sanctum of the Asian vampires. Fuck I was pissed.

The voice acting in that game is so amazingly good. The story kicks ass, and it's not like these shitty games coming out now. It will take you TIME to finish this bitch. Seriously, the game is awesome.

There's an unofficial patch for that one that unlocks backstory, fixes all the bugs, and adds so much it is insane. Also, Therese/Jeanette is easily the fucking hottest video game chick ever.

And the haunted house part of that game is scary.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One of the best games of all fucking time ever forever, eleven. Fuck. I bought that game in the store when it first came out and found that it had a game breaking bug where you couldn't get into the sanctum of the Asian vampires. Fuck I was pissed.

The voice acting in that game is so amazingly good. The story kicks ass, and it's not like these shitty games coming out now. It will take you TIME to finish this bitch. Seriously, the game is awesome.

There's an unofficial patch for that one that unlocks backstory, fixes all the bugs, and adds so much it is insane. Also, Therese/Jeanette is easily the fucking hottest video game chick ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42k2vgY_t4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42k2vgY_t4

Beating people to death with a detached arm is also hilariously fun.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Hearts of Iron 3 is currently eating my time up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I agree with Diablo 3 - but I'm somewhat of a fan boy and play Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, and WoW too...

I would add Arma 3, DayZ, and Minecraft to the list as well.
View Quote
This guy knows what he's talking about

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421214119/zeropunctuation/images/0/0c/Just_Cause_2_2.png

I just found out they put the entire island from Lost in the game, going to have to reinstall Just Cause 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421214119/zeropunctuation/images/0/0c/Just_Cause_2_2.png

The best part of the game is you can do stuff like this.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I updated my 10+ year old rig and now can actually play the new stuff.

What's the hotness?

Portal?

Borderlands?

Half Life 3?  

FEAR?

Homeworld 3?

ETA: Can you ad a little blurb about what the games about?  Like FPS or a RPG, or whatevs.  Gracias!
View Quote

In the multiplayer space Couter-Strike:Global Offensive is the #1 FPS if you want a competitive environment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Is the STALKER bundle worth buying for $20?

Is has Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm currently hooked on a single player only game called Starpoint Gemini 2.

Indie game out of Croatia, 7 man team, new content being added every week.

Kind of like EVE Online, but for people with day jobs.

Lots of fun if you like piloting a space dreadnaught and stomping a mudhole in your enemies, but not like flying a single seat fighter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is the STALKER bundle worth buying for $20?

Is has Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is there any cool flying games that just lets you goof around?

Pilotwings Xtreme?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If youre into flight sims the DCS series is your ticket. Note i said sim, not game.

It takes a 2 page checklist and 10 minutes to start up your a-10.

Is there any cool flying games that just lets you goof around?

Pilotwings Xtreme?

Pilotwings is so neglected by Nintendo it is sad. But I would get DCS Flaming Cliffs 3. It is realistic, but you won't need to throw 50 switches to fire a weapon. It is on sale for $12 on Steam at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would say that Jagged Alliance is a better turn based strategy game.  The character interactions are absolutely hilarious, and the game mechanics are spot on and insanely tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EASILY.

JA2 with the v1.13 mod.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top