Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
tank needs to be pumped and then inspected, since he probably has turds stuffed into the lateral lines now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, but the whole discussion is vaild....why doesn't this guy want to have the tank pumped or inspected? Short of actually seeing seepage in the drain lines the tank condition is gonna tell you a lot more. If I was OP, I'd self inspect the tank.  Can a homeowner legally restrict you from observing a portion of the property for sale? Pffffff, not if I'm buying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not the tank that is the big problem....It's the leach field.  Tank pumping is cheap, couple hundred bucks and you are good to go as long as it is not leaking, which it probably isn't.

The trouble is when the leach field goes, basically it stops draining because it is too full of effluent, you need to have another one built.  

THAT is the shit that is expensive.

Yep, but the whole discussion is vaild....why doesn't this guy want to have the tank pumped or inspected? Short of actually seeing seepage in the drain lines the tank condition is gonna tell you a lot more. If I was OP, I'd self inspect the tank.  Can a homeowner legally restrict you from observing a portion of the property for sale? Pffffff, not if I'm buying.

Oh, yeah, I agree.  Was simply saying the tank is cleaning is easy and if the seller won't let it be inspected/cleaned could be indicative of additional problems....screw that.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of TX?

I bought a house at auction and then found out the hard way that Travis County water was aggressively trying to get all septic houses onto the city sewer...so they'd almost never clear it to stay, which is reviewable when house changes ownership.  Had to pay 5k to get pipe run to the city line...even though the septic system seemed to be in good working order.   Just  a thought.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

was just a couple hundred bucks to have ours pumped and inspected

made sure it and a couple of other things were in the up front demands with the first offer on the house

pretty standard procedure

I am going with

A: he is just one of the hard to deal with people

B: he knows the septic has issues

C: he knows the septic isnt up to code
View Quote

D: Its a bootleg system
septic systems are what my old man does for a living

inspection is cheap insurance

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
septic is a big issue on  house sale.. everything has to be ship shape or its a walk.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I ran into a situation like this many years ago and like you walked.

They had lived in that house for over 12 years and never did anything to it. Nor did they now what type of system they had. They said it did not matter since it all worked fine.

yeah no thank you

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I had my tank pumped there was a wiffle ball and matchbox cars in there.  

Kids lived there 15 years ago.
View Quote

Good friend of mine was in high school and his parents septic had to be pumped.

They popped open the lid and pumped it all out, but left in a pile was a bunch of rubbers.

He was the only kid and the parents had built the house and installed the septic new.

As soon as his Dad saw the pile of rubbers laying in the bottom, he gave my friend the evil eye and told the pumper to put the lid back on ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to help my dad roto-rooter the laterals (and every other part of the septic system, he'd had multiple clean-outs put in) at their first house because Dad was worried it wouldn't pass inspection and his job was relocating to another state so we had to sell the house the next spring.
All we did was snag rubbers.
Hundreds of them.
For hours on end, since my dad had rented the thing for a week.  

I was ~13, it was extremely traumatizing to realize how many times my parents had sex in the 17 years they'd lived at that house.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
it's either an illegal/non-code install that's going to kill a sale, or there is a body in it.  I'd guess the former. And without an inspection I'd pass. Who knows what a nightmare you could be inheriting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a strange one. First let me state we are not buying the house. My wife and I were looking at a nice house with a little bit of property. we came to an agreed price and then had a general inspection done and the guy said everything was fine but to get the septic system records from the seller. This is where it gets WTF. The seller said his septic system ( something he called lateral line ) doesn't need to be pumped or inspected & NEVER HAS BEEN. The house is 14 years old!  Now I'm no gynecologist nor did I say in a holiday in express last night but I know all mechanical things need regular maintenance and septic tanks need to be pumped/inspected every 3-5 yrs.

When we asked that the seller  to pay to have it pumped/inspected he refused. We even offered to pay for the inspection. This lead to us backing out of the deal. An interesting side note, the buyer is trying to have another house built and asked us to change the deposit from 3-5K. We said OK as this was before the trouble started but before our grace/inspection period was over he had the construction on the new house started.  we backed out and got our deposit back and now the seller is shit out of luck. The sellers real estate agent and even the new construction builder are trying to talk some sense into this guy. His house has been up for over 4 months and now he has no contract to sell, no deposit, and ground has broken on the new house.

so why would someone be so fucking dumb or is he trying to put one over on us? either way we are out but aside from the thought he was trying to get over, why do something like this?

is this a tl,dr?
cool start bra?
sucking dix make u deaf?
blow me tender, blow me true?
View Quote

I'm glad for your sake that the deal fell thru for you.

I bought a house from my boss this time last year. I didn't get an inspection done on the septic system, it seemed to be working properly, they were a couple that didn't cook often or do a lot of laundry. I had the tank pumped on my dime after the purchase went thru and was told everything 'looked good'.

Well, here we are a year later and I am starting to get gurgling in the toilet when we take showers one after another. I called to have the tank pumped and dug the lid up myself-it was full to the top, which means the drain field isn't keeping up. I can't get anyone out here to test it, and the people that drained the tank tell me that it will be 6-8 weeks out and a cost of $5k on the low end to replace the drain field. That number could be as high as $23k if the village I live in forces me to connect to the new sewer line if a connection is available to me.

My guess is that he knows the system is limping along. If he comes crawling back to you, an inspection here costs $400. Offer to split that, and he has to fix the drain field if there is a problem. No reason you should go into it blind like I did and end up eating your shirt to fix his laziness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh... last time my tank was pumped was back in the 70's.
View Quote

Lemme guess... you live on sandy soil, live over a low water table, have a two or three people in the house, and don't dump grease down the sink or run a garbage disposal?

A lot of things contribute to septic failure, you'll learn all about it when your day comes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Septic tank at our current house of 14 years has never been inspected and we have no plans to do it.

Prior house of 20 years same thing.

Houses before that were on city sewage so Not Applicable.

Grew up in the country with a septic tank from 1965 to 1973.  Never had an inspection.

So if I was selling a home and the buyer wanted an inspection of a perfectly functioning septic system, I would offer that he do it at his own expense.  I don't think a buyer's due diligence is my expense.  If a problem is discovered, I would reimburse the inspection cost and pay for a proper repair.

If he did not want to pay for the inspection, I'd offer to pay for any work needed within the first year.  If it had a problem it would surface during the first year.

If that isn't good enough, then the buyer could keep looking.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid I had to help my father install a new septic tank and drain field at our house that my brother now owns.  I think my brother lived in the house for 10 years before having the tank pumped.  For over 20 years before that the house only had one person living in it full time.  The septic tank and drain field is probably 40 years old and going fine.  It was a large drain field when we installed it, not trees anywhere near it to clog up the lines with roots, lines were at least 6 feet down.

I had my septic tank pumped out last year after living in my house a couple years.  Think it cost me $125.00.  Pump operator said it should be good for at least 3 years.  Cost was no big deal.  I never had the system inspected, house was built in 1989, septic system is well above lake level.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top