Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:45 AM EDT
This is a damned fine read about how a Supreme Court decision created the Education/Government complex we're saddled with today.

[centerDiplomas do little to alter the dynamics of innate ability and intelligence—even less so now that institutions have lowered standards. The knowledge gap between college seniors and freshmen is negligible (see: Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses). Other studies have found that class ranks at graduation closely mirror testing ranks upon matriculation. If businesses could recruit and screen candidates using testing metrics, it would allow workers to begin their careers earlier, advance quicker, and do it debt-free.][/center]

[center]Two years ago I interviewed Den Black, a former automotive engineer at GM supplier Delphi whose pension was slashed to speed up the auto bailout. His backstory interested me nearly as much as his grievance with the Obama administration. A few years before the Supreme Court issued the Griggs decision, he set out to join his brother as a line-worker at General Motors. He hadn’t been the best student, didn’t care much for school, but submitted to the hiring exam. The test revealed that he had an advanced understanding of physics and mathematics. Within a few years, he was given the opportunity to take the entrance exam to General Motors University. After two years at GMU, where he combined shiftwork with education, he emerged an engineer in management. It’s no bachelor’s degree, but judging by the patents he helped generate, it was a worthy investment.

[/center]

http://spectator.org/articles/60741/how-supreme-court-created-student-loan-bubble#!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
if anyone thinks that a (useful) degree is anything except proof that you can perform...you are smokin crack.

sure, do you learn a few things, yes.  do you learn enough to justify the cost? no.  you pay the cost because you want the job afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Allowed not created
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if anyone thinks that a (useful) degree is anything except proof that you can perform...you are smokin crack.

sure, do you learn a few things, yes.  do you learn enough to justify the cost? no.  you pay the cost because you want the job afterwards.
View Quote

That IS the justification for the cost.  If you are trying to justify the cost because you learned something you should save yourself a lot of money and go to a library.  

That is how we end up with people graduating with worthless degrees and saddled in debt - they thought it would be worth the cost to get the education.  Guess what - it isn't.  The job is the ONLY thing that financially justifies going to college.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
For me to advance further in my career as a law enforcement officer I need a degree. Simple as that... no degree no advancement. So I'm getting a degree in Political Science so if Inever burn out of being a cop I can go into teaching government and civics in high school. My plan is if I can in the long run get a phd and after retirement as a cop (20-30 years from now) maybe teach in a university.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: the "bubble" is possibly in the perceived value of university degrees - which has in turn caused the student loan excesses.
View Quote

That's how I've always considered it.  The declining middle class is in a panic to have their kids get degrees, regardless of whether it will help them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If one assumes that people get a university degree as a pathway to a job and not for the joy of learning, there is a education bubble.

That bubble is the number of BA/BS, MA/MS, and Ph.D. degrees being granted far in excess of the available jobs.

Part of the reason for this is the push by adviser's that most people in high school need to go to college.  Whether they have the academic aptitude for this is not being considered apparently.

The increased number of college degree-bearing applicants results in the inflated requirement in the minds of HR people for a BA/BS as an entry into many jobs that previously needed just a high school diploma (back when it was worth more than the paper it was printed on).

This causes a positive feedback resulting in more high school graduates being pushed towards college.

The enormous debt incurred is just a consequence of increased attendance and the tuition inflation caused by the educational complex and a further positive feedback to college costs by Federal student loans.

I would estimate (based on my students) that about 15-20% of people in college do not have the real desire or aptitude to graduate hence the grade inflation and creation of fluff degrees to allow some to graduate with a degree.  (e.g.  B.A. in Hotel Management).

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
A kid that used to work for me stopped by a few weeks ago.  I hadn't seen him since he left for dentistry school.  During our visit I asked how much debt he was facing.  He said roughly $410K.  My jaw about hit the floor.  This was just for dentistry school.  He had a full ride for undergrad.

Sure, he's now a dentist and will make good money but that much debt is staggering to me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting article.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The language of "bubble" is not really correct/appropriate for the student loan situation, IMO.  

Bubbles are when prices of things (real estate, stocks, etc) are over-inflated and become over-valued (for a variety of reasons) leading to an inevitable collapse as prices eventually have to re-adjust to a more stable equilibrium.  

To be technical (and anal), the "bubble" is possibly in the perceived value of university degrees - which has in turn caused the student loan excesses.
View Quote

That's where he takes it in the article.  There's very little discussion of the actual cost of a college education.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just read the article, and the amount of bullshit in it is stunning.  They bring up disparate impact as the corner-stone of their argument, but conveniently fail to mention that disparate impact is NOT illegal or discriminatory if it is clearly job-related, which invalidates the entire point of the article.
View Quote

No.  They're citing disparate impact as the reason the supreme court found in favor of the plantiff in the case they reference.

"The Supreme Court wasn’t buying it. This was North Carolina after all. The court compared the tests to Aesop’s fable of the Fox and the Stork, in which a fox offers a dish full of milk to a stork, whose beak prevents it from satisfying its thirst. The implication that black and white workers were of a different species did not strike any of the justices as racist, unlike the objective tests. Griggs found that if blacks failed to meet a standard at a higher rate than whites the standard itself was racist—a legal doctrine known as disparate impact."

Unless I'm missing something.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just read the article, and the amount of bullshit in it is stunning.
View Quote

This an accurate analysis.

"Bubble" in this case is a myth created and fostered by the dem/soc/lib/comm/marx party apparacheks to transfer blame of the shit economy onto yet another straw man.

The real problem is that FAR too many people - parents and irresponsible children - failed to do proper due diligence and cost benefit analysis BEFORE scribbling ink onto a loan obligation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No.  They're citing disparate impact as the reason the supreme court found in favor of the plantiff in the case they reference.

"The Supreme Court wasn’t buying it. This was North Carolina after all. The court compared the tests to Aesop’s fable of the Fox and the Stork, in which a fox offers a dish full of milk to a stork, whose beak prevents it from satisfying its thirst. The implication that black and white workers were of a different species did not strike any of the justices as racist, unlike the objective tests. Griggs found that if blacks failed to meet a standard at a higher rate than whites the standard itself was racist—a legal doctrine known as disparate impact."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just read the article, and the amount of bullshit in it is stunning.  They bring up disparate impact as the corner-stone of their argument, but conveniently fail to mention that disparate impact is NOT illegal or discriminatory if it is clearly job-related, which invalidates the entire point of the article.

From Burger's majority opinion:
The facts of this case demonstrate the inadequacy of broad and general testing devices, as well as the infirmity of using diplomas or degrees as fixed measures of capability. History is filled with examples of men and women who rendered highly effective performance without the conventional badges of accomplishment in terms of certificates, diplomas, or degrees. Diplomas and tests are useful servants, but Congress has mandated the common sense proposition that they are not to become masters of reality.
wiki
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The language of "bubble" is not really correct/appropriate for the student loan situation, IMO.  

Bubbles are when prices of things (real estate, stocks, etc) are over-inflated and become over-valued (for a variety of reasons) leading to an inevitable collapse as prices eventually have to re-adjust to a more stable equilibrium.  

To be technical (and anal), the "bubble" is possibly in the perceived value of university degrees - which has in turn caused the student loan excesses.
View Quote

The "bubble" is the .gov underwritting of the loans, guaranteeing they will be issued, much like the subprime housing crisis. Thus they massively overcharge for education making it virtually impossible to get the eduactaion without the loan. Eventually those loans will be defaulted upon in such a number that, the "bubble" will burst (or more likely considering the amount of money we're talking here the whole economy).

The more you know.

ETA my argument still stands, but I also agree with your fleshed out argument in further posts. We're talking about two different sides of the same coin
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The article is making the argument that the court ruling (and the concept of disparate impact) made it so difficult for companies to do testing, that they instead ended up relying on college degrees to "weed out" the people that SCOTUS prevented them from weeding out, creating the huge demand for college degrees.

It's total bullshit, because disparate impact is FINE, and perfectly legal, as long as your company's test is of job-related skills/abilities, which would seem to be exactly what companies need.

The typical example is something like firefighting.  If a FD has a test that involves dragging a heavy weight up some stairs, there WILL BE disparate impact, in that women (a protected class according to civil rights law) are far more likely to fail to meet the testing standard.  However, this disparate impact is perfectly legal, since a fire department can convincingly show that being able to carry a heavy weight up stairs is a job-relevant skill.. In that case, you have "discrimination" against a protected class, but it's perfectly fine.

If the same fire department were to give an objective test of math and geometry for promotion and blacks (also a protected class under civil rights law) failed to meet the standard at a much higher rate than whites, that would also be an example of disparate impact, even if it's an objective test and there was no intent to discriminate.  However, if the fire department cannot demonstrate how math and geometry skills are critical job-related skills, then such a test/standard WOULD be illegal.

That's a very important distinctions, which the article completely side-steps, and seriously undermines their claim that the SCOTUS ruling made it so difficult for companies to test specific job aptitude.  In fact, their argument is total bullshit, because if they are testing job-relevant skills, then disparate impact and discrimination doesn't matter, and is completely legal. It's only a problem when the tests and standards are broad and unrelated to the specific job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article is making the argument that the court ruling (and the concept of disparate impact) made it so difficult for companies to do testing, that they instead ended up relying on college degrees to "weed out" the people that SCOTUS prevented them from weeding out, creating the huge demand for college degrees.

It's total bullshit, because disparate impact is FINE, and perfectly legal, as long as your company's test is of job-related skills/abilities, which would seem to be exactly what companies need.

The typical example is something like firefighting.  If a FD has a test that involves dragging a heavy weight up some stairs, there WILL BE disparate impact, in that women (a protected class according to civil rights law) are far more likely to fail to meet the testing standard.  However, this disparate impact is perfectly legal, since a fire department can convincingly show that being able to carry a heavy weight up stairs is a job-relevant skill.. In that case, you have "discrimination" against a protected class, but it's perfectly fine.

If the same fire department were to give an objective test of math and geometry for promotion and blacks (also a protected class under civil rights law) failed to meet the standard at a much higher rate than whites, that would also be an example of disparate impact, even if it's an objective test and there was no intent to discriminate.  However, if the fire department cannot demonstrate how math and geometry skills are critical job-related skills, then such a test/standard WOULD be illegal.

That's a very important distinctions, which the article completely side-steps, and seriously undermines their claim that the SCOTUS ruling made it so difficult for companies to test specific job aptitude.  In fact, their argument is total bullshit, because if they are testing job-relevant skills, then disparate impact and discrimination doesn't matter, and is completely legal. It's only a problem when the tests and standards are broad and unrelated to the specific job.

What's interesting to me is the article actually does bring up a good point about companies having come to rely on colleges to determine a candidate's aptitude, largely divesting themselves of having to evaluate those candidates based on their individual merits (the line "a country defined by credentials rather than merit" resonates).  However, I think this is more likely to be attributed to businesses simply trying to streamline the hiring process while giving them an avenue to deflect liability in the event an employee does not perform to expectations rather than that particular supreme court case creating an environment in which businesses find aptitude testing to be prohibitive from a discrimination liability standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The "bubble" is the .gov underwritting of the loans, guaranteeing they will be issued, much like the subprime housing crisis. Thus they massively overcharge for education making it virtually impossible to get the eduactaion without the loan. Eventually those loans will be defaulted upon in such a number that, the "bubble" will burst (or more likely considering the amount of money we're talking here the whole economy).

The more you know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The more you know.
Not really. If that was the case universities would be self funding.

Unless you are implying that we are paying educators and administrators more than the value they provide.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The more you know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you know.

That was my take on the piece as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you know.

The author basically ignores any discussion of the monetary costs of college, and the potential deleterious effect on the economy in that article.  He almost exclusively discusses the value-inflation of the degree itself and the effect of that phenomenon on society.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Unless you are implying that we are paying educators and administrators more than the value they provide.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you know.

Not my point at all. My father worked his way through college at the local power company. Came out debt free. You think I was able to do that lol. I wasn't. The cost of education has gone up in orders of magnitude faster than inflation. I don't have a problem with educators being paid, I have a problem with $30k + a year tuition, it's absurd
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought I hadheard that part of the issue was when job applicant testing was eliminated because...racism or whatever.

So now many companies are only looking at grads with degrees as a way to weed out the app pool.
So then everyone needs a degree in order to get even considered as an applicant.
There's your demand....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
[pissinginthewind]You people should really try reading the article before commenting on it.[/pissinginthewind]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[pissinginthewind]You people should really try reading the article before commenting on it.[/pissinginthewind]
View Quote

I read it and I got what he said, I disagree with some of his conclusions much like DK-Prof.

The "real bubble" to me however, is the do gooders in congress decided that denying anyone a shot at a college degree was whatever flavor of "ism" was popular at the time.
Thus they underwrite the loans, just like fannie mae and freddie mac with subprime housing. Most everyone knows the ins and outs of that now, so it's pretty simple to understand my argument.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I read it and I got what he said, I disagree with some of his conclusions much like DK-Prof.

The "real bubble" to me however, is the do gooders in congress decided that denying anyone a shot at a college degree was whatever flavor of "ism" was popular at the time.
Thus they underwrite the loans, just like fannie mae and freddie mac with subprime housing. Most everyone knows the ins and outs of that now, so it's pretty simple to understand my argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but I think it's a little deeper than just easy loans.  There's a societal insistence that "everybody not only deserves to go to college, but in fact should go to college no matter what" that is clearly completely ridiculous, yet apparently inescapable.  This is obviously facilitated and perpetuated by easy loans, but I don't think they created the situation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you know.

If you paid administrators what they were worth, 90% of them would be hooking or thieving in a month.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Not my point at all. My father worked his way through college at the local power company. Came out debt free. You think I was able to do that lol. I wasn't. The cost of education has gone up in orders of magnitude faster than inflation. I don't have a problem with educators being paid, I have a problem with $30k + a year tuition, it's absurd

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I graduated debt free at 26. It's doable. It sucks and isn't fun, but you leave with a degree and a solid resume with real job experience on it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Bubble" in this case is a myth created and fostered by the dem/soc/lib/comm/marx party apparacheks to transfer blame of the shit economy onto yet another straw man.

The real problem is that FAR too many people - parents and irresponsible children - failed to do proper due diligence and cost benefit analysis BEFORE scribbling ink onto a loan obligation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just read the article, and the amount of bullshit in it is stunning.

Little Johnny can be ANYTHING he wants to be with proper schooling, STOP TRYING TO TELL ME OTHERWISE!

Yeah, that's my Johnny, in the corner talking to himself and eating the moulding. That fucker's gonna pay my mortgage once he's done with lawyer school.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I agree, but I think it's a little deeper than just easy loans.  There's a societal insistence that "everybody not only deserves to go to college, but in fact should go to college no matter what" that is clearly completely ridiculous, yet apparently inescapable.  This is obviously facilitated and perpetuated by easy loans, but I don't think they created the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing my point. Society can insist alot of things, everybody deserves a home for example. That creates the problem and causes hardship for some. When .gov gets involved though, look out things are guranteed to go tits up and cause hardship for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#34]
"If you go to college and get a degree, you'll get a good job and live a good life" - this is what we're essentially telling our children.

We're leaving out an ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL component...

"... and get a degree IN SOMETHING USEFUL..."

We're telling our kids to "chase their dreams", without preparing them for the fact that the real world doesn't pay you for dreams.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I graduated debt free at 26. It's doable. It sucks and isn't fun, but you leave with a degree and a solid resume with real job experience on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appluad your success. Doesn't change the fact that the market is out of balance i.e. a "bubble" due to an influx of cheap money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#36]
It all began when the gov started giving out student loans.  The universities got greedy from all the free money and hiked tuitions exponentially since then.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're missing my point. Society can insist alot of things, everybody deserves a home for example. That creates the problem and causes hardship for some. When .gov gets involved though, look out things are guranteed to go tits up and cause hardship for everyone.
View Quote

Well, I guess it's a question of which came first.  The insistence that everybody should go to college, or cheap and easy student loans?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I appluad your success. Doesn't change the fact that the market is out of balance i.e. a "bubble" due to an influx of cheap money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if I'd call the money "cheap" for the consumer considering it's non-dischargable debt and many people that take out loans do so for a degree that isn't worth it. Consumer credit in this country is all kinds of messed up, but as long as nobody pays the piper can you blame them for requesting a song?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know if I'd call the money "cheap" for the consumer considering it's non-dischargable debt and many people that take out loans do so for a degree that isn't worth it. Consumer credit in this country is all kinds of messed up, but as long as nobody pays the piper can you blame them for requesting a song?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use cheap money the same way I would regarding credit cards. Used properly, like myself and many of my classmates who got solid degrees (I was accounting a ton of my friend s were CE and EE) it more than pays for itself and there are little to no qualifications for getting said money
But
Somebody will pay the piper, somebody always pays the piper.

Also can I blame people for being stupid and irresponsible? I most certainly can

ETA failed to make my full point regarding cheap. You don't pay a dime till 6 months after you graduate. That's pretty damn cheap don't ya think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
150k in student loans for a BA in underwater basket weaving

About sums it up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, I guess it's a question of which came first.  The insistence that everybody should go to college, or cheap and easy student loans?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're missing my point. Society can insist alot of things, everybody deserves a home for example. That creates the problem and causes hardship for some. When .gov gets involved though, look out things are guaranteed to go tits up and cause hardship for everyone.

Like I said the insistence that people should go to college came first. It has been made extraordinarily worse by government intervention.

The hilarious thing about this problem is that .gov intervention is what caused high school diplomas to become useless in the first damn place.
That is on two levels
1) Free trade agreements, tariff policy, overzealous EPA rulings, and taxation caused the industrial job loss we now have to fill somehow
2) Lowering high school standards to the lowest common denominator and deemphasis of trade schools
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know when you went to college but you don't seem to realize that even the "cheap" colleges are 20k+ a year and it increases rather steeply from there. How many 18-19 year olds have that kind of income? Especially in an economy that has hit that age group the hardest?  I know plenty of teens who are hard workers but when you are only making $8 an hour it's going to be tough without loans.

It was doable when college was 10k a year, but the number of high school grads who can pay 20-30k a year without any debt or outside help is laughably low.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Federally guaranteed student loans created the student debt bubble. Take away the loans and enrollment will decline.  Given time, tuition will decline too as colleges/universities shrink.  I've already seen colleges merge departments and reduce staff as cost saving measures.

BTW, college is no longer the key to success.  It only guarantees indentured servitude since student loans are not forgiven under bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
iow, the student loan issue is a bubble.  replace university degress and student with home.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Federally guaranteed student loans created the student debt bubble. Take away the loans and enrollment will decline.  Given time, tuition will decline too as colleges/universities shrink.  I've already seen colleges merge departments and reduce staff as cost saving measures.

BTW, college is no longer the key to success.  It only guarantees indentured servitude since student loans are not forgiven under bankruptcy.
View Quote

Only if one chooses poorly
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't know when you went to college but you don't seem to realize that even the "cheap" colleges are 20k+ a year and it increases rather steeply from there. How many 18-19 year olds have that kind of income? Especially in an economy that has hit that age group the hardest?  I know plenty of teens who are hard workers but when you are only making $8 an hour it's going to be tough without loans.

It was doable when college was 10k a year, but the number of high school grads who can pay 20-30k a year without any debt or outside help is laughably low.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two years ago at the age of 33 I completed my third college degree with 0 debt, it's doable. Going to some prestige college and living on campus makes it not doable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a few professions that will pay.  Paramedics (EMTs),nursing, medical doctors come to mind.  Forget architecture since no one will be building anything, computer science (anything that can be outsourced will be outsourced), law (how many lawyers are unemployed right now; many law firms were breaking up in the '90s) or management (what's there to manage?).  Some professions are dead end including political science, history, english, womens or other minority studies, dance, art, photography and even journalism (still need propagandist, but you have to compete against the freelancers) and if you get paid per piece, you starve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There are a few professions that will pay.  Paramedics (EMTs),nursing, medical doctors come to mind.  Forget architecture since no one will be building anything, computer science (anything that can be outsourced will be outsourced), law (how many lawyers are unemployed right now; many law firms were breaking up in the '90s) or management (what's there to manage?).  Some professions are dead end including political science, history, english, womens or other minority studies, dance, art, photography and even journalism (still need propagandist, but you have to compete against the freelancers) and if you get paid per piece, you starve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't believe everything you read, I have two STEM degrees and a non STEM degree and the non STEM degree took me into a management position making more than my STEM degrees. I also teach college on the side and I can tell you that current research and statistics show that college is still worth it and on AVERAGE a degree holder will still earn more in a lifetime than a non degree holder.

ETA -  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=college+is+still+worth+it
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not even close to true.

Although, ironically, that's one field that doesn't really require the degree in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top