BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Found out just now that I'm getting another student assigned to me.  Yes, I'm an experienced nurse so I understand why someone thought this was a good idea.  The fact is that ICU nursing has significant downtime and I can only fill a small portion of it with educ.
View Quote

downtime at work...i wish i had that..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found out just now that I'm getting another student assigned to me.  Yes, I'm an experienced nurse so I understand why someone thought this was a good idea.  The fact is that ICU nursing has significant downtime and I can only fill a small portion of it with educ.

Downtime means someone isn't actively dying and I am monitoring them, not that I can put my feet up and watch Netflix.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Downtime means someone isn't actively dying and I am monitoring them, not that I can put my feet up and watch Netflix.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh i get that....just envious that people have what they call down time..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm headed to clinicals in about 20 minutes. See you there OP!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Will you get buddy pay?  I think our hospital gives $0.50 an hour when you are precepting or orienting a new person.

Good luck maybe they won't be a know it all.  Nothing like trying to show someone the ropes when they think they can do it better than you or anyone else in the whole hospital.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will you get buddy pay? I think our hospital gives $0.50 an hour when you are precepting or orienting a new person.

Good luck maybe they won't be a know it all.  Nothing like trying to show someone the ropes when they think they can do it better than you or anyone else in the whole hospital.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No buddy pay here, either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
As a guy that just got out of 4 different hospitals all I can say is that most nurses are overworked, overwhelmed and
vastly underappreciated.  I had a comminuted fracture of my left scapula (shattered it like a dinner plate ) and after
ER treatment at 2 hospitals finally had reconstructive surgery at Mt. Sinai in NYC.  Post surgical nurses there were a
Godsend.  Was able to speak directly with the Nurse Managers regarding my care and they adequately controlled my
pain (for the most part...)

2 month later I was getting my annual physical from my GP. EKG leads said I was in A-fib - so off to another hospital
for 5 Damn days.  Dr's and Nurses were uncaring, pissy, and generally seemed incompetent.  The hospital had just
switched to a "scanning machine" for every damn thing they did to you from phlebotomy to feeding you.  The machine didnt
work most times as it was "out of range" or couldnt read my wrist barcode.  Nurses at this hospital were horrible.  I was
stuck 17 times in one day for blood.  When the 2nd and 3rd techs came in they said Mary stuck you once and couldnt find
a vein so they called me.  No... Mary wailed on me 4 times each elbow and the backs of my hands.  Occluded IV's took
hours to flush or rectify......  A terrible experience - especially as I was recently in other hospitals where the nurses were given
an environment to excel - which they did.

If you are a good nurse, share the compassion trait that made you want to do this and instill it in new people.  The fact that a nurse
came in my room one night when my shoulder was destroyed and I was feeling sorry for myself, and just spent time with me and
consoled me, and "empathasized" my condition meant the world to me.   Nurses by nature are compassionate people, they have to be.
My sister is a nurse manager and runs the palliative care dept at a hospital and is the most caring person I know.  Please dont be bitter
"they" assigned you a new student.  TEACH that person what it really means to be a nurse.  You just dont clean vents, and give meds.
You are the frontline people that interact with individuals that for the most part are hurt, injured and scared.

Sorry for the rant, but I've recently been through a really rough deal and have seen the best nursing has to offer....and the worst..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The student is female.  I haven't actually met her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Male nurse?

The student is female.  I haven't actually met her.

You can fill in down time by filling her
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel your pain.  

The upside to me getting students (usually just for one shift, thank god) is that, working on the Rapid Response team of a large hospital, I often get to shove the into their first dose of performing CPR while we get the LUCAS ready.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
so they want you to train someone, and you don't get paid? Fuck that, pay me an extra 2-3 $ per hour and I'll field train, no money..no training
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so they want you to train someone, and you don't get paid? Fuck that, pay me an extra 2-3 $ per hour and I'll field train, no money..no training
View Quote

For all I know, the hospital gets paid by the nursing school.  Wouldn't surprise me.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
ICU nurse with a lot of down time? You're  doing it wrong .

I bet your patients IVs, tubing, monitors, etc looks like a plate of medical grade spaghetti.

Edit. Damn you autocorrect
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Found out just now that I'm getting another student assigned to me.  Yes, I'm an experienced nurse so I understand why someone thought this was a good idea.  The fact is that ICU nursing has significant downtime and I can only fill a small portion of it with educational stuff.  I feel like I am responsible for entertaining someone and making small talk for 12 hours and I suck at both of those.  

I don't hate student nurses or resent them one bit.  I just dislike having a shadow that I did not agree to.  I wish there was a way to decline this, but there isn't.

The next month or two is going to suck.
View Quote

LOL... I swear, male nurses are at least 60% of the bitching and moaning in a hospital
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Stop playing with yourself in the downtime and engage in some meaningful conversation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I enjoy precepting the newbs.
Get to mold them in my image and likeness

(RRT not RN)
View Quote

I couldn't do this, I'm an asshole nurse.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#17]
You have down time as an Icu rn? Tell me your secrets.

Icu/Er rn here

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I had terrible preceptors as a nursing student.

I made it a point to never be one of those assholes that hated their job and took it out on the younger generation.

As such, the nursing school attached to the hospital would give me students in their ICU rotation because of the education and guidance I offered them.

Most of the RN's that I have precepted and continue to work with thank me for helping them in the overwhelming environment of the ICU.

I don't particularly like having to talk all day to someone, but if I can help someone in their education, I will do my best.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Just do her...I mean it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd be irritated that you are not being given the option.   That's gay.

Other than that, well...All depends on the personality and aptitude of the student.  I've had great ones, and I've had ones I wouldn't trust with a bandaid, even after two semesters of trying to teach them...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I absolutely love having students/precepting new RNs! Not only that, but I love showing the unit around to RNs from some of the other units (MICU/SICU/NICU/CCU) especially when we have the train wreck VAD/BiVAD/Septic/ECMO/Open/Impella/Baloon Pump/Tandem/CVVH/Maxed out on Rocketfuel/Rotoproned pts. For some reason they are all horrified of us CTICU (Cardiac/Transplant) nurses , we're like the fucking Boogie man haha. Just tonight I picked up OT in the Neuro ICU and I talked to a few new faces and said where my home unit was and they gave me a scared/mortified look and Im like "Guys, it really isn't that bad!". All though having a student/precepting a new RN always makes my day more difficult, it is totally worth it since I enjoy teaching so much.

There is just so much content in the ICU setting to talk about and teach that there is rarely a time when Im not talking about disease processes, conditions, meds, pathophysiology, surgical interventions, pharmalogical interventions, and rationales as to why different services do the things the way they they do it. But usually towards the end of my time with student/new RN when there is absolutely nothing to do, I walk them through some of the more difficult codes that I have been in and ask them to make judgment calls and what they would do in said situation and give the rationales as to why those were good or bad calls. Just throwing ideas out there!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Dude, your getting free labor and a second set of eyes, look at it as a good thing.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ICU nurses think they are all that but the ER nurse is the real tier one operator in the hospital.

That's all I got. Good luck with the student, hopefully she's receptive and competent.
View Quote

-Cardiac/Transplant ICU RN
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Fixing to start a mentoring program at work.
Funny, no one has volunteered.
I knew I was over it when I hated to see the nursing students coming.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
be proud and send forth you're knowledge
View Quote

I assume you share you're spelling knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ICU nurses think they are all that but the ER nurse is the real tier one operator in the hospital.

That's all I got. Good luck with the student, hopefully she's receptive and competent.
View Quote

Everyone is a special snowflake.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

For all I know, the hospital gets paid by the nursing school.  Wouldn't surprise me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I absolutely love having students/precepting new RNs! Not only that, but I love showing the unit around to RNs from some of the other units (MICU/SICU/NICU/CCU) especially when we have the train wreck VAD/BiVAD/Septic/ECMO/Open/Impella/Baloon Pump/Tandem/CVVH/Maxed out on Rocketfuel/Rotoproned pts. For some reason they are all horrified of us CTICU (Cardiac/Transplant) nurses , we're like the fucking Boogie man haha. Just tonight I picked up OT in the Neuro ICU and I talked to a few new faces and said where my home unit was and they gave me a scared/mortified look and Im like "Guys, it really isn't that bad!". All though having a student/precepting a new RN always makes my day more difficult, it is totally worth it since I enjoy teaching so much.

There is just so much content in the ICU setting to talk about and teach that there is rarely a time when Im not talking about disease processes, conditions, meds, pathophysiology, surgical interventions, pharmalogical interventions, and rationales as to why different services do the things the way they they do it. But usually towards the end of my time with student/new RN when there is absolutely nothing to do, I walk them through some of the more difficult codes that I have been in and ask them to make judgment calls and what they would do in said situation and give the rationales as to why those were good or bad calls. Just throwing ideas out there!
View Quote

Fucking rotoprone.  I've never had a patient in one of those who lived.  Sure, the bed didn't kill them but still.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful.

The hospital probably gets to claim to be a 'teaching institution' which gets them extra points in their quest for excellence.....so they'll then add 3 more administrators to cover the paperwork load, a department head to supervise them...then realize that because that puts them over budget, so they'll let 2 LPNs with 50 years of combined experience go, get rid of the one maintenance man that really knows how to fix stuff (since he's been there 20+ years), and buy 'utility' grade beef (instead of the 'Standard' grade...just below Select they had been buying..., buy 'bruised and damaged' vegetables from the wholesaler...and put everyone on a soft mechanical diet or pureed diet to cover it up....then pat themselves on the back for 'saving money' and give the administrators a nice bonus (that calculates out to 5x the actual savings...) because of it....

All because YOU HAD TO TAKE A STUDENT NURSE!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fucking rotoprone.  I've never had a patient in one of those who lived.  Sure, the bed didn't kill them but still.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well maybe if you got off your ass you would have.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

The problem we have is that the doctors here try to ignore ARDS until it's too late, then toss them in a rotoprone to die.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ha!

The problem we have is that the doctors here try to ignore ARDS until it's too late, then toss them in a rotoprone to die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

Just fucking with ya.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top