Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 5:54:13 PM EDT

This morning my kid (high school student) called me. This was our first cold day of fall, and the POS he drives was acting up. Based on the symptoms he described, I suspected a belt problem. Being the (dumbass? kind? overprotective?) father that I am, I left work, met him halfway and gave him my car and took his. Symptoms were no/little power in power steering and battery light and squeaking.

Sure enough, the belt is all shiny, squeaky and slippery.

We (he and I) replaced the belt last spring at the same time we replaced the alternator. The car has about 150K on it.

What in the hell would cause a belt to glaze in 10K miles?

Any thoughts? This is a transverse mounted engine, and if he and I have to replace the belt again this weekend, I want to look for causes so I don't have to do this again any time soon.

Car is 2001 Chrysler Minivan.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You make your son drive a minivan to High School? Poor kid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Something slightly out of alignment, something got on the belt, or you got a POS belt?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Partially seized idler pulley/pulley's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Long story there. But let's just say, it has been a good thing for him. Of course, my dad said..."You let him drive that? He could put a mattress in the back!"

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Long story there. But let's just say, it has been a good thing for him. Of course, my dad said..."You let him drive that? He could put a mattress in the back!"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chicks dig it.  It's the shaggin' wagon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The hell you mean poor kid?  Those make mighty fine shaggin wagons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's an avid mountain biker. When he was car shopping, I showed him that he could fit 4 bikes and 4 people INSIDE the van. My rule is that kid pays 1/2 of APPROVED car or 100% of unapproved car. That goes a long way toward getting something reasonable safe. The van was approved.

As for shaggin'...I'd like to hope that is still pending. But he is a teen aged kid with girls calling all the time! We've had the "I'm not ready to be a grandpa" talk several times. I THINK he is smart enough to at least be careful..

Thank god I don't have a daughter his age.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Replace the tension idler pulley/wheel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Back on topic, anything else I need to look at on the belt?

The SERPENTINE belt!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I might do that. I did it last time we changed it, but maybe I got a crappy one...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I might do that. I did it last time we changed it, but maybe I got a crappy one...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are usually several idler pulley's, the tensioner pulley is just one of them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the tensioner is bad and the belt was slipping. I would pull that off and have a look at it too. Next item would be a bad bearing on one of the assesories causing early wear
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like the tensioner is bad and the belt was slipping. I would pull that off and have a look at it too. Next item would be a bad bearing on one of the assesories causing early wear
View Quote

Hate this car stuff as it gets old/wears out. But it is good experience for the kid. Especially at 50% cost. He WANTS to learn to do it all himself.

I'll have him spin everything when the belt is off.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Check tension. I bet she's slipping all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
my guess.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
my guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my guess.

Damn it. I wish I didn't (probably) agree now that I think about it. The belt change alone is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions for getting in there, other than pulling the engine?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Damn it. I wish I didn't (probably) agree now that I think about it. The belt change alone is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions for getting in there, other than pulling the engine?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my guess.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
3.3 or 3.8L?
Both suck for belt issues.
They make a belt with both sides ribbed for these engines.
Try it you'll like it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my guess.

Explosives.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with the above idler or tensioner is starting to seize up, causing the belt to slip, and overheat and glaze.

As far as changing the belt, and getting to it easier, a lot of those vans you need to pull the passenger tire, remove the inner fender and get into it from the bottom, but that will still probably not help you with the tensioner.  This is easy to do in a garage with a lift, at home, not so much.  I've done more work than I care to on Chrysler vans, it sucks even in a garage for the mechanics trust me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy 2 belt, mount one, slide the other around the eng mount and zip tie it so it's a 5 min job next time...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
3.3 or 3.8L?
Both suck for belt issues.
They make a belt with both sides ribbed for these engines.
Try it you'll like it.
View Quote

This, they suck so bad there is an updated kit that has grooved pulleys.  They love to throw belts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my guess.

Without knowing the particulars...I'd imagine the radiator may need to take a vacation.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Buy 2 belt, mount one, slide the other around the eng mount and zip tie it so it's a 5 min job next time...
View Quote
That's fairly....crafty.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#25]
The Caravan (and variants) are notoriously fucky with the drive belt. The first thing I would look at are the idler and tensioners(likely worn and not centered), if that is not the issue how about a leaky water pump or some other oil getting on the belt causing it to slip!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Looks like my Saturday is shot...

Son and I changed the belt when he bought it, but of course I didn't consider that there were other things to look at.

Maybe I'll take the zip tie approach noted above and just attach a few of them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top