Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 5:49:58 PM EDT
...to go with the artificial knees.  Guess the Muay Thai was harder on the body than I thought, lol.  Oh, and MRIs are just plain horrible if you hate confined spaces!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Close your eyes. Then you won't know you are in a confined space.

Pussy.

Oh, and stop the Muay Thai. It obviously isn't working well for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you make the Bionic Man sound when you do any impressive movement, like jumping?  If not, you should.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't even know there was such a thing. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Close your eyes. Then you won't know you are in a confined space.

Pussy.

Oh, and stop the Muay Thai. It obviously isn't working well for you.
View Quote

LOL, closing my eyes doesn't alter the machine squeezing my shoulders because its so narrow.  The Thai boxing has worked out very well, but decades of it has ground away all my cartilage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Put a light towel over your face next time-they have them here.

One of my customers just had a shoulder redone-says its much better,but creaks now and then.No external grease fitting I could find,so see if you can get a greaseable model.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put a light towel over your face next time-they have them here.

One of my customers just had a shoulder redone-says its much better,but creaks now and then.No external grease fitting I could find,so see if you can get a greaseable model.

Best of luck.

View Quote

I'm going to ask them to pre-fill it with Froglube.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had one for 3 years. It was a huge success. I think it is important to find the right surgeon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My old man (60 next year) wrecked his mountain bike really badly and tore up his left shoulder TWICE.  It was so bad that they did a reversed shoulder on it this year, titanium socket where the ball used to be and ball where the socket was.  He's definately doing better, but it's not like he suddenly has full use either.  He can raise his arm sone and gets to sleep in a bed again instead of poorly sleeping in the chair, but he's not sure about mountain biking again, lol.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Me too and a hip to boot.  Roids are keeping me going for now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could try the steroids for a while, but I've heard they can make one a bit thick around the middle.  You have any trouble with bodyfat on them?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My old man (60 next year) wrecked his mountain bike really badly and tore up his left shoulder TWICE.  It was so bad that they did a reversed shoulder on it this year, titanium socket where the ball used to be and ball where the socket was.  He's definately doing better, but it's not like he suddenly has full use either.  He can raise his arm sone and gets to sleep in a bed again instead of poorly sleeping in the chair, but he's not sure about mountain biking again, lol.

Good luck!
View Quote

can someone lift heavy after something like that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
That's my next option for my right shoulder but the doc said that I'm too young. I'm only 48 and it's bone on bone in the shoulder. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to shoot anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I could try the steroids for a while, but I've heard they can make one a bit thick around the middle.  You have any trouble with bodyfat on them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im getting injections in both shoulders about every 4 to 6 months.  3 per side even, I try to wait as long as possible, and i have noticed a slight gain in the belly.  Its hard to say if thats why or not cause i have gotten back on the soda this last year.  My last injection did not work as well on my right side, it totally fucks up my sleeping, every time i roll over i wake up from the pain.  Unfortunatly the steroid can cause more problems over time, i worry because im young and and i have a lot of painful years ahead of me.  Better alive and in some pain than dead and unaware.

Edit spelling.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

...to go with the artificial knees.  Guess the Muay Thai was harder on the body than I thought, lol.  Oh, and MRIs are just plain horrible if you hate confined spaces!

View Quote

Since nobody else has asked, does this mean that after the operation, you will, in fact, have the shoulder thing that goes up?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad had his done about a year ago and it was a huge success he cant wait to get the other one done.  Hopefully it goes well for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You're lucky! After 2016 Obamacare guidelines recommend taking you out and shooting you if you need a shoulder replacement and are over 40
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I meant cortisone.  Get shots in my shoulder every three months.  Going to start shots in the hip also but that's an inpatient procedure so a little more involved.

So that and Meloxicam are keeping me going for now.  I can still lift (no overhead presses for years and even bench is getting tougher) but my running days are done.  I ride the bike now for cardio.

One of these days when the pain sucks too bad I'll get them replaced.

Shit I'm only 46.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I was told by a doctor at the va that the only thing they could do to help my shoulder pain would be a full shoulder replacement and I should only do that if the only options were that or putting a bullet in my brain.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

From the research I've done no.  Light OK, but heavy is a no no.  Not even pull ups according to my doc.  That's why I'm putting it off as long as possible.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Just went through a shoulder reconstruction a year ago. Fell asleep in the MRI because I really don't care for closed spaces and wouldn't open my eyes I'm right there with you though, I was squeezed up against the walls.

The pain after the surgery is pretty impressive - I had done a bunch of bone and muscle damage, so it was a lot more extensive than they'd thought. It's been within the last 4 weeks that I can finally sleep on that side of my body. Healing/recovery for shoulders is a long haul.

Some protips:

1.) Get a recliner for your bedroom. You won't be sleeping lying down for a while.
2.) Get a concept II for recovery work as soon as they give you the OK for it.
3.) Do not sleep next to an internet-capable smartphone while on your meds. The ambien walrus took me shopping. Woke up minus $1600 and plus one LR308.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Worked in the ortho business for 20 years.  Best advice from all my engineer friends is this:

A good surgeon with the worst implant is better than a bad surgeon with the best implant.  You want a doc who does shoulders.  Ask him how many he does per year.  If he really only does knees or hips, I'd keep looking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Bionic man!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

BUY A GAME SYSTEM.....after my shoulder surgery the movement of the hands on the joystick helped the recovery......however the sleeping sitting up in a chair made me break down and cry...Fucking didnt sleep for days they every time you move severe pain...sucks ass..i feel for you op
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
28 years ago i came off of a roof the fast way when a ladder fell out from under me.  I shattered my left elbow to the point where they could only remove the joint of the ulna and about 6 inches of bone in my forearm.  I was told I would never have any real use of that arm again (I am left handed) and it would be permanently bent about 90 degrees.  As it turned out I have been able to almost straighten that arm and have had pretty good use out of it.  Could even bench press 350 lbs with it.  The last 9 months however it has really started going downhill and hurts like hell even if just sitting in a recliner doing nothing.  They now make artificial elbows and I am thinking seriously about going to see If I might be a candidate for this surgery as most of the bone and joint actually regrew like a lizard that loses it's tail.  Just didn't grow back to where it works right.  OP I wish you the best of luck and hope for a full recovery for you.  First I have ever heard of shoulder replacement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Holding out as long as possible before I get mine done.

Good luck on yours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top