Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Change lanes, let them pass, change back. Go on with my day.
View Quote

This, but I generally drive too fast for anyone to tailgate me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I brake checked some IL guy in a pickup because he was riding me going into a construction zone and I couldn't pull over.

I'm shure his butt is still hurting over it.

IL people come rocketing down I-65 like maniacs (I guess they don't know what to do when they're not stuck in traffic on 294...).  I can't believe the State Police doesn't fund their budget by writing them up.

TC
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Usually they are just self important

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone is already close enough that they are tailgating then you have already failed.  You should be aware of traffic behind you and when you see a car approaching that is when you should signal and get over.  It doesn't matter if you are doing 55 or 105.  If you aren't the fastest car on the road then move over and get out of the way.

THIS!  I drive 45k miles a year as a sales rep. there's no place in this world for any other response. Who knows why someone needs to tailgate you. Might be that they're trying to get to the hospital or other emergency. Or they might find the radar cop around the blind corner for you. Let the person past is always the best option.

Usually they are just self important

Whereas the slowpoke vigilante is focused on the importance of the collective.  Da, comrade.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the closer you get, the slower i go
View Quote
This right here.

It's weird, the strange magnetic pull that happens when someone tailgates me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

False.  I've been doing 48 in a 45 constuction zone (1 lane each way w/ a concrete divider) w/ a Semi about 25 yards in front of me.  The idiot behind me was tailgating me so close I couldn't see his headlights.     There was no place t go and yet the idiot was riding on the bumper of my pickup.  There are lots of people who will tailgate for no apparent reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get tailgated because I know how to drive.  If you are being tailgated its for a reason, no one just does it.

False.  I've been doing 48 in a 45 constuction zone (1 lane each way w/ a concrete divider) w/ a Semi about 25 yards in front of me.  The idiot behind me was tailgating me so close I couldn't see his headlights.     There was no place t go and yet the idiot was riding on the bumper of my pickup.  There are lots of people who will tailgate for no apparent reason.

48 in a 45 construction......  You may as well be doing 45 and be in the other lane.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

48 in a 45 construction......  You may as well be doing 45 and be in the other lane.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get tailgated because I know how to drive.  If you are being tailgated its for a reason, no one just does it.

Did you catch the part where it was one lane each way with a concrete divider (on each side of the lane) and a truck directly ahead.  There was NO place to go.  Sometimes you deal with it.   In that case I slowed down until he got off my ass ( about 30 - 35) then I"d speed back up to about 48 where I was catching the semi.  Then he'd tailgate me again, and we'd repeat, and repeat, and repeat.  It at least made the construction zone amusing.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This right here.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here.  

Only fags do that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you catch the part where it was one lane each way with a concrete divider (on each side of the lane) and a truck directly ahead.  There was NO place to go.  Sometimes you deal with it.   In that case I slowed down until he got off my ass ( about 30 - 35) then I"d speed back up to about 48 where I was catching the semi.  Then he'd tailgate me again, and we'd repeat, and repeat, and repeat.  It at least made the construction zone amusing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Depends what lane I'm in. If the left lane ill get over, if the right i slow down just for fun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Signal over so the can pass, or slow down a bit to further bring out their impatience so they will speed up and pass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I stay in the right hand lane and usually tap my brakes a few times.  It's the universal signal for "back off".  If that doesn't work, I take my foot off the gas and slow down by coasting.  I've gone 5 mph on the freeway before before the jackass finally decided to pass me.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of the time I switch lanes when traffic isn't bad (sometimes I speed up) but I hate it when people tailgate me when traffic is congested with no where to change lanes into nor could the person do anything if I did change lanes. What the hell are they trying to accomplish here, rear ending me?

Usually I coast to slow down to gain more distance between the car in front of me.  Sometimes the person gets the message... Other times they're stupid and stay on my ass and barely stop in time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only fags do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here.  

Only fags do that.

I can definitely state you're wrong there.   Tailgating is illegal, dangerous, and stupid.   I know people that will brake check a tailgater, and while I won't go that far, I will not give in and speed up.  They're being an asshole so they get the opposite of what they're trying to make happen. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Tailgaters get the I dont care treatment.
Unless they decide to cause a scene.

One got a full milkshake on the windshield one day.

I can only go as fast as the person in front on me. Honking the horn and throwing gestures only go so far.

My milkshake, which was the flavor I didnt want, ended up being tossed out of my TJ Jeep Wrangler (top down) and on his windshield.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Mostly ignore unless I can safely just slowly coast - slow down and the impatient fucks pass me up.

Not worth getting amped up over. Would rather the shit driver be far ahead of me then directly on my 6.

As I get older in life ... I discovered some things ain't worth worrying over.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!

Life is too short and too sweet to waste any of it on assholes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
on the open highway, i'll move over and let them by, but i actually only use the left lane for passing.    If i'm going along minding my own business in the non passing lane and someone decides to tailgate, they get the slowdown or brake check if they are really asshole-ing it up.
View Quote

Had some knob the other day on the way to work going 28 in a 35. This is a two lane road in the country with plenty of room to pull over but not very safe when it comes to passing. While it was 0545 there is no reason to drive that freaking slow. I did begin to tailgate him slightly and when he didn't get the hint he got the high beams.  This made him slow all the way down to 20 but I still kept the high beams on and he still didn't get the hint. Got to the next intersection he turned right and I turned left but not after giving each other dirty looks. How hard is it to go 4 mph over the limit or at least go the fucking limit?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tailgaters get the I dont care treatment.Unless they decide to cause a scene.

I can only go as fast as the person in front on me. Honking the horn and throwing gestures only go so far.
My milkshake, which was the flavor I didnt want, ended up being tossed out of my TJ Jeep Wrangler (top down) and on his windshield.

View Quote

Throwing things out of your moving car.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Brake check the fuck outa the asshole
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Tail gators?  

I stay right and wave those reptiles past.  This is crazy and weak, tho.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was young and dumb. You were at one time. You did some crazy stuff too? Right?  If you answer no you were not a young red blooded American boy/man.
Would I do it again, nope.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As though tailgating justifies that... like that would somehow justify dropping shit off of overpasses.
All the talk about pennies, washer fluid, milkshakes, pieces of ceramic from spark plugs, marbles, etc... I hope some kid doesn't get in trouble for dropping the exact same thing from an overpass on those people's windshields.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
If it looks like I can take them in a fight I will chuck my DD iced coffee at their windshield. If I am drinking Starbucks that day I let it go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Say you are on a busy multi-lane highway, maintaining a safe following distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and there is a tailgater within 2 feet of the rear of your vehicle.  What do you do?

View Quote

if there is a lane to the right, move right.
if not, nothing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I reach down and push the activator button on my trailer brake controller to light up my brake lights without actually braking.  Works most times.
View Quote

that switch activates your trailer brakes
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm usually in the left lane going about 10-15 over. If someone comes up behind me at a quicker pace than I seem to be going, I move over. That's it, no drama.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
My rearview mirror fell of my windshield. Now I don't even see tailgaters. Seems I'm a little more peaceful behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're avatar and I agree with you. I tend to speed anyway.  If I'm being tailgated ,  it's probably on a 2 lane highway and I'm probably doing 5 over.  So they get the brakes or I slow way down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal, and watch.

I usually go 5 over, if that's not good enough, pass me and get on with your life.

View Quote

This +1. I usually hang out in the right or middle lane at 5 over. I got over the "90+mph in a straight line down the interstate for 6 hours" a while ago. If I come up on traffic, then I signal, get into the left lane, pass, and get back into the right or middle lane. If I am in the process of passing in the left lane, and someone comes up behind me doing 15+mph over...fuck 'em, they can wait for the 30-90 seconds or so it will take me to pass the traffic on the right and get back over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

even better if the tailgater is a convertible...or motorcycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windshield washer fluid bath.

Repeat as needed.

even better if the tailgater is a convertible...or motorcycle.

If you tailgate on a bike you are looking for a Darwin Award anyway...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
i replied slow down, because that's standard procedure for me. no brake,s just coast. they usually get it at about 5 under the speed limit

if they don't get it then, i drop it into 3rd and put about 1/2 mile between me and them. no point in owning a fast car if you aren't gonna ever use the power
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I'm in the left lane, I move over ASAP.

If they're doing it to me in the right land to get their jollies off when they have the opportunity to pass safely, I proceed to get into the left lane next to whatever vehicle is in the right and camp.
View Quote

I did that once...it was fucking hilarious! Some flatbill in his rice-rocket was weaving in and out of traffic in the rearview. I happened to be in the left lane, so took my foot off the gas. He got into the right lane. I let the car in front of him get about half a length on me, then I sped back up. Flatbill moved back over behind me. I got about half a length in front of the right-hand car, then took my foot off the gas again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Made my whole day to see flatbill in my rearview losing his mind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Depends.  If I am in the left lane and not passing, I signal and get over.  If I am in maintaining the same speed as traffic around me, I ignore them and keep a safe distance between myself and the car in front of me.  If they hit me, it will be a a relatively low speed and they will be at fault.  Sure, it isn't ideal to reclaim damages in a court of law, but freedom is neither safe nor easy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did that once...it was fucking hilarious! Some flatbill in his rice-rocket was weaving in and out of traffic in the rearview. I happened to be in the left lane, so took my foot off the gas. He got into the right lane. I let the car in front of him get about half a length on me, then I sped back up. Flatbill moved back over behind me. I got about half a length in front of the right-hand car, then took my foot off the gas again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're doing it to me in the right land to get their jollies off when they have the opportunity to pass safely, I proceed to get into the left lane next to whatever vehicle is in the right and camp.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, look, two 'tards in that story.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This +1. I usually hang out in the right or middle lane at 5 over. I got over the "90+mph in a straight line down the interstate for 6 hours" a while ago. If I come up on traffic, then I signal, get into the left lane, pass, and get back into the right or middle lane. If I am in the process of passing in the left lane, and someone comes up behind me doing 15+mph over...fuck 'em, they can wait for the 30-90 seconds or so it will take me to pass the traffic on the right and get back over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually go 5 over, if that's not good enough, pass me and get on with your life.

Quit hanging out the left lane for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
At night, I adjust the mirrors so I am not blinded by their headlights.  Otherwise, ignore and carry on as if they weren't there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're avatar and I agree with you. I tend to speed anyway.  If I'm being tailgated ,  it's probably on a 2 lane highway and I'm probably doing 5 over.  So they get the brakes or I slow way down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats.  You're an ______________.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you get over when it clears up in the right lane, nobody gets hot and bothered.  It's the assholes who intentionally or negligently stay in the left lane "because they are going 5 over an nobody needs to speed beyond that" that are the schmucks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i replied slow down, because that's standard procedure for me. no brake,s just coast. they usually get it at about 5 under the speed limit

if they don't get it then, i drop it into 3rd and put about 1/2 mile between me and them. no point in owning a fast car if you aren't gonna ever use the power
View Quote

Small man syndrome I see.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#41]
At least half of the people I let by can't maintain their speed and I get stuck behind them going slower than before!

It makes me jaded. Sometimes if I'm going 7-10 over, I won't let them by.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
At least half of the people I let by can't maintain their speed and I get stuck behind them going slower than before!

It makes me jaded. Sometimes if I'm going 7-10 over, I won't let them by.
View Quote

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  After they pull that shit one time, F'em.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so I get where you're coming from:
Two lane highway, i.e. one lane in each direction.
Tailgater becomes a tailgater, i.e. increases speed to close to 'that distance'.
A fair amount of clear passing zones or turnouts.

A tailgater who does not pass given the opportunity to pass, i.e. is legally allowed due to the slow speed of the the person in front of them and the availability of a clear passing zone, open left lane, or turnout...
Yeah, that guy's a maggot infested slopping puddle of Ebola slime.

Someone that tailgates up to the point of the first available passing opportunity? Douchenozzle, and I'll slow down enough to give myself enough room in front of me so I don't get rear-ended if I need to perform an emergency stop for some reason.  They don't pass at that first opportunity? Fuck them. They might end up behind me doing ~5mph (idling in 1st gear) on a rural highway. Not my problem if they can't figure out how to pass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As long as you get over when it clears up in the right lane, nobody gets hot and bothered.  It's the assholes who intentionally or negligently stay in the left lane "because they are going 5 over an nobody needs to speed beyond that" that are the schmucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like this?

"Some flatbill in his rice-rocket was weaving in and out of traffic in the rearview. I happened to be in the left lane, so took my foot off the gas. He got into the right lane. I let the car in front of him get about half a length on me, then I sped back up. Flatbill moved back over behind me. I got about half a length in front of the right-hand car, then took my foot off the gas again. Lather, rinse, repeat."

Fuck assholes that fuck around in the left lane just to be douchenozzle queens.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  In my younger days I would have reacted much differently but now it is not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Let off the gas and reduce your speed through coasting.
View Quote

This. Washer fluid trick too sometimes.

You brake checkers, you people are stupid. You really want to risk damaging your vehicle and having an altercation with a moron on the side of a freeway while you wait for police & wrecker? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I voted both "move over and let them around", and "speed up to outrun them" before reading the details.

The last 5 miles to my house is twisty, hilly rural 35 mph roads. My car is faster and corners better than most cars in my county. I'm usually doing 35-40, but I regularly get Mr Toughguy in his jacked up diesel pickup on my yuppie ass attempting to communicate he'd like me to go faster. So I do 35, 40, 45, to about 50 until we get to that turn. The one I've been practicing my speed cornering on for 10 years. Most people need 25-30 to get around it, and it puts people in the ditch monthly. I knew I had this one guy suckered because he was on my ass from town to the very last moment before the corner. I downshifted without brake lights and sailed around it. Sure enough his headlights were bouncing all over the place as he went through the ditch into the bushes. Based on the brush damage and the fresh dirt the next morning, he had to have fucked up his truck real nice.

True story, although about 10 years ago now and I don't do it any more, but I got that fucker.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Idiots do that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I reach down and push the activator button on my trailer brake controller to light up my brake lights without actually braking.  Works most times.

Only if you have a trailer hooked up.
It will energize your brake lights regardless of the presence of a trailer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Depends what lane I'm in. If the left lane ill get over, if the right i slow down just for fun.
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top