[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
depends
View Quote

Clean or soiled?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If someone is already close enough that they are tailgating then you have already failed.  You should be aware of traffic behind you and when you see a car approaching that is when you should signal and get over.  It doesn't matter if you are doing 55 or 105.  If you aren't the fastest car on the road then move over and get out of the way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Tailgaters are nature's way of sorting out the smart from the egotistical.  The smart let em pass so they can run out ahead and go get your fast driving award so you don't get one.  

Love the tailgaters.  

Use them.

Giggle when you pass them on the side of the road a few miles down.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change lanes, let them pass, change back. Go on with my day.

This

Only time I do this is when I'm on a road that is commonly patrolled with radar.  I let them be my radar detector.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I was checking out the road conditions after a big snow stormone night. No traffic. Drove to work on dry powder and was going to take the median at a hospital and go back home. Looked in my rear view mirror and some tard was coming up behind me. Sure enough, he gets on my tail (this on a 4 lane). I knew the outcome a quarter mile back. Sure enough, I tapped my brakes to start to slow to turn around. Moran hit his brakes and slid into the center strip. I figured he could call from the hospital, kept on my way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always wanted to mount a pvc pipe underneath and load it with a model rocket. wire the rocket engine to a switch on the dash. Tailgater on radar - commence ignition. If you want to be destructive use a rocket that can carry a payload and load it with paint.......

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If someone is already close enough that they are tailgating then you have already failed.  You should be aware of traffic behind you and when you see a car approaching that is when you should signal and get over.  It doesn't matter if you are doing 55 or 105.  If you aren't the fastest car on the road then move over and get out of the way.
View Quote

That's true if you're in the left lane and passing w/ room in front of you.  It's not true if you're already in the right lane, if you're passing and there isn't room to get over on the right, or if there is a car in front of you blocking you.   If I'm in the right lane and he wants to tailgate we're going to start slowing down.....   If I'm actively passing I'm going to get around the block I'm passing and let him pass.   If there is someone blocking me, I'm not moving over just to let him move forward one car while stuffing myself into slow moving traffic.  At least not unless he's running emergency lights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
In OP scenario, I want them in front of me as my way of wishing the slowpoke in front of me gets what belongs to her.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal, and watch.

I usually go 5 over, if that's not good enough, pass me and get on with your life.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to mount a pvc pipe underneath and load it with a model rocket. wire the rocket engine to a switch on the dash. Tailgater on radar - commence ignition.
View Quote

I've alway wanted one of the oil slick attachments.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't left lane camp so, so I would hope they would move to the left lane and pass me. If they don't and assuming it's not a road with only 1 lane in each direction, I move over and let them pass because I don't need to get rear ended by their dumbass if I have to suddenly brake.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
It depends on the scenario and my mood.  If I'm on the expressway in the passing lane then I get over and let them pass even if I have to  slow down to get over, if they're tailgating then they should pass quickly.

Let's say two lane highway or city street, I usually slow down on them.  If it's a two lane highway, slowing down also makes it easier to pass.

On a rare occasion I like to just pull away and leave them in my dust.  Could happen in any scenario I suppose, this reaction is solely mood based.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
the closer you get, the slower i go
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Hit my windshield washer. Usually sprays on them and they back off. Don't ask me why it works. Old cop told me to try that long ago. Works about 75% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually try to move over when practical, but I don't go out of my way to hurry about it.  If they drive by and give me a stare down, I usually blow them a kiss.  I think that pisses them off more than making an obscene gesture.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If the roadway has two lanes of travel I signal and move over to allow them to pass.

If I'm on some long country road and it's one of these teenage girls tailgating the shit out of me because I'm not going 40 over the posted limit, I just carry on and ignore the shit out of them.
Occasionally I have been known to let off the accelerator and slow down a little.  I've had one teenager pass me inside our residential neighborhood.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
If it's multi lane I just move over to the right. If it's two lane I maintain my speed I'll even try to keep in the right part of the lane so they can see around me.  My truck has a C-notch and airbags with an upside down ball hitch I've been tempted a time or two to let just lower the rearend enought to let sparks fly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Windshield washer fluid bath.

Repeat as needed.
View Quote

even better if the tailgater is a convertible...or motorcycle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck em, they're behind me. I could use some cash if they hit me anyways.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Arfcom:  Land of the passive-aggressive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
To all the fuck sticks that do anything other than gtfo of the left lane: you are going too fucking slow, grandpa. Get. Out. Of. The. Passing. Lane.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I try not to let people come up behind me in the left lane.

If I'm in my truck, I don't hang out in the left lane.  If for some reason I am, I try to get over before they get there.

If I'm in my car, it's pretty rare for someone to come up behind me.  If they do, I'll move.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually this.  I'm concealed carrying, so I try to leave my ego behind when I leave my house.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Assuming I can't safely move over to let them pass?

Slow down enough to give them time to stop in case I have to make an emergency stop.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Say you are on a busy multi-lane highway, maintaining a safe following distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and there is a tailgater within 2 feet of the rear of your vehicle.  What do you do?

View Quote

Depends, are you a pillowbiting cocksucking faggot shitstabber going the exact speed limit in the left lane?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#26]
dont really have that problem, but i dont drive like a little bitch either

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

First I don't camp in  the left lane, so if he's tailgating me he's probably in the right lane.   I let up on the gas and we slow down to a speed where I'm comfortable w/ the distance between us.  Either that or he passes me.  There is no way in hell I'm going to let him pressure me into speeding up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let off the gas and reduce your speed through coasting.

First I don't camp in  the left lane, so if he's tailgating me he's probably in the right lane.   I let up on the gas and we slow down to a speed where I'm comfortable w/ the distance between us.  Either that or he passes me.  There is no way in hell I'm going to let him pressure me into speeding up.

This
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#28]
If I'm in the left lane, I move over ASAP.

If they're doing it to me in the right land to get their jollies off when they have the opportunity to pass safely, I proceed to get into the left lane next to whatever vehicle is in the right and camp.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How hard is this for you people to grasp the concept of ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How hard is this for you people to grasp the concept of ?

Because it's pussy and means I'm not a man.  I have a big penis.  Really!

That's what I put it down to anyways.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, it's not worth even getting invested in

Yup

+87
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Depends what lane I'm in. If I'm in the left lane I'll get over, if I'm in the right, I'll slow down just for fun.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+87
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, it's not worth even getting invested in

Yup

+87

lol, I've seen people do it on 6 lane freeways in very light traffic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Just stay the hell out of the passing lane and most won't get tailgated. NYers and MD tourist haven't figured out that the left lane isn't a damn campground. Pass and get the hell out of the way back in the right lane.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I get the fuck out of the left lane, and apologize as he drives by.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to mount a pvc pipe underneath and load it with a model rocket. wire the rocket engine to a switch on the dash. Tailgater on radar - commence ignition. If you want to be destructive use a rocket that can carry a payload and load it with paint.......
View Quote

Once or twice I thought it would be nice to have an extremely bright strobe on the back of my car that I could flip on or off with a switch.  I'm inclined to just pull over but I've had people tailgate me with their high beams on while on one lane roads where there weren't any pull offs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#37]
In highschool we rigged up the rear windshield washer on my buddies zr2 blazer to shoot a solid 15 foot behind. We went through alot of washer fluid in the parking lot. Good times.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I move over.

They aren't going to learn a thing no matter what I do, so it's best to just not let them get to you.  Let them by, laugh when they get pulled over for speeding.  Win-win.

Now, my rear window is tinted dark......so those assholes that like to sit there with their brights on along a 2 way road....they can get fucked.  I'd usually pull off and let them by, but if they resort to constant on brights (not a flash to say "hey...know I'm back her languishing at the speed limit, did you see me?") I'll just let them sit back there until they turn them back to regular beams.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#39]
The ass holes who tail gate in heavy traffic can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#41]

I don't get many tailgaiters.  I guess they spot my BFL and back off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  It isn't my job to enforce the speed limit, and I don't believe in it enough to become a left lane vigilante.

If I'm moving at lightspeed and someone comes up behind me, I'll get out of their way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

pull the emergency  parking brake

no j/k
View Quote
I would always wait until I could not see the front of their vehicle. Worked 100% of the time, and many idiots would go into the ditch trying to avoid me.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I have great insurance and a massive vehicle, so I am rather unconcerned with tailgaters, I stop when I need to stop and sometimes I need to stop in a hurry.   So sad, so sorry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#45]
It depends.  If I'm stuck behind someone going slow in an area where I can not pass and some asshole is tailgating me, they either get a brake check or I will slow way down.  My big Class V hitch hanging off the back of my truck at car radiator height doesn't play.  

If I'm in the right lane and someone is tailgating me, I'll keep going my speed until I catch up to someone going real slow in the right lane, then I will get over in the left lane and pace the pokey bastard, blocking the tailgating asshole in behind us both.  

If I'm passing in the left lane and someone hauling ass catches me and starts tailgating, I'll finish my pass and get over in the right lane so they can go around.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!  I drive 45k miles a year as a sales rep. there's no place in this world for any other response. Who knows why someone needs to tailgate you. Might be that they're trying to get to the hospital or other emergency. Or they might find the radar cop around the blind corner for you. Let the person past is always the best option.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#48]
If possible to do safely I let them pass.  If not, I ignore them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Signal over and let them pass

Pretend like they don’t exist

Go slower

Brake check ‘em

Display obscene gestures

Get beside and swerve at them, terrorize them

Any of these given the situation
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Get the fuck out the left lane, grandma.....
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top