BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I joined to get mad concrete skills yo
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Joined the USMC in 1977 with a guaranteed MOS in the Aviation Maintenence field (6XXX). Somehow, through a trick of MOS-reclassification I wound up as a Tactical Radar Operator (7234) (needs of the service and all that).

The best time I ever had was the year (1980) I spent in Okinawa. Hot Japanese girlfriend, lotsa sun, going out to the city of Naha with her almost every night. It was awesone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Any of you guys find that relative bearing grease?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Cocks Cocks Cocks Cocks Cocks Cocks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They said I would be joining the smartest branch of the military and do cool stuff with computers or jet engines, making it so anyone would trip on themselves to hire me. I started out cleaning airplane toilets and ended it telling people to clean aircraft toilets... But hey I got to live off everyone else's taxes like any good member of the FSA. Now I'm out and can get a job but working is for suckers... I'm going on welfare and EBT!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet you didn't think you'd get this much help OP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet you didn't think you'd get this much help OP.
View Quote

haha   This is GD, and it's ended pretty much exactly how I expected.

A couple people on topic and the rest of 'em just doing what GD does.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Shadow Company.

Mercury switches.

Mr. Joshua.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Drove the ship? Please, only when the Boatswain wasn't looking.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More on topic this time. US Navy, Surface Warfare Officer (ship driver), fixed shit, broke shit, shot missiles, guns, torpedoes. Did a shit load of paperwork, drank alot of coffee, saw a lot of the world, set me up for a good paying post retirement gov civilian job in DoD. Had fun, had fucked up times, got my ass handed to me a few times and was still respected by subordinates, peers and superiors. Would probably do it all over again.

Drove the ship? Please, only when the Boatswain wasn't looking.....

Turning the wheel is the easy part, that's why you have an E-2 on the helm. Putting it all together with speed, navigation and everything else to keep the old man happy is another league completely.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Used it all on the mail buoy, it was getting squeaky.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You don't rate knowing about my rate.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Joined the USMC in 1977 with a guaranteed MOS in the Aviation Maintenence field (6XXX). Somehow, through a trick of MOS-reclassification I wound up as a Tactical Radar Operator (7234) (needs of the service and all that).

The best time I ever had was the year (1980) I spent in Okinawa. Hot Japanese girlfriend, lotsa sun, going out to the city of Naha with her almost every night. It was awesone.
View Quote

So you've been to Kokusai Street, eh?  

Interestingly, for as much as the Japanese smoke, sometime in 08-09 they ended up banning smoking out on Kokusai and would ticket people for it.  You could still smoke in the clubs and everywhere else, just not on the street.  

After that, I just took my talents to the Banana Show, Deja Vu and Soapy Land.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I figured I better join before I got drafted.
View Quote
Does your DD-214 look like this?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They said I would be joining the smartest branch of the military and do cool stuff with computers or jet engines, making it so anyone would trip on themselves to hire me. I started out cleaning airplane toilets and ended it telling people to clean aircraft toilets... But hey I got to live off everyone else's taxes like any good member of the FSA. Now I'm out and can get a job but working is for suckers... I'm going on welfare and EBT!
View Quote
It must be awesome being a pilot!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I never joined the Military, I was in the Air Force.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Electronics (specifically RF Communications), you'll never want for a job. Learn LMR(land mobile radio), SATCOM (VSAT, DAMA, etc), trunking, encryption, etc, get and maintain a clearance, learn some IT Networking and PBX stuff. I've done it for the military, for contractors, and as a federal civilian employee. I think the longest I've been unemployed in the last 20 years was 10 days that I went on an XBOX binge in between jobs and that was voluntary, I could have started the next one immediatly if I had wanted.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interestingly, for as much as the Japanese smoke, sometime in 08-09 they ended up banning smoking out on Kokusai and would ticket people for it.  You could still smoke in the clubs and everywhere else, just not on the street.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that shit is PTSD inducing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just when I thought you fuckers forgot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I joined the Marines and did the typical stuff, boot camp, Infantry training.  My first deployment... I don't really talk about.  

The most fulfilling part though, was towards the end of my time in.  I was given a second chance and was put in charge of training a platoon that had become broken by toxic leadership.

At first it was tough, Taking them through PT and training, they even tried to get one of the Marines to intimidate me.  But, even though he was a larger man, "Swede" was no match for my years of training.  Eventually they started to click, and start living by the Esprit De Corps the Marines are known for which worked out well, because in short time, we were to be deployed.

We helocast and swam to the shore, before long we were victorious on a small Island no one talks about much anymore, Grenada.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I joined to get mad concrete skills yo
View Quote

Me too. Also to lay a brick and pound a nail.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/Har%20har/opsec3.jpg
If she had Oakleys on that would be perfect.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<---   Still looking for a box of grid squares.
View Quote

they're keptin the 42 van with the spool of flight line
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]
It has it ups and downs just like anything else. They let me blow shit up and shoot big guns so it's worth it to me

My second home for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Forgot your Obama phone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It has it ups and downs just like anything else. They let me blow shit up and shoot big guns so it's worth it to me

<a href="http://s14.photobucket.com/user/punkaf/media/CE551FD9-424C-432E-A1B8-A5828C835884.png.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/punkaf/CE551FD9-424C-432E-A1B8-A5828C835884.png.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Tattoosj, unfit for military service. OP don't listen to this man, he's not fit to lead in our Army anymore. SMA said so! Dirty inkies...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ate the banana, bro?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Was wondering when you'd show up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Military taxi driver.  I was told where to go to pick up my fare, then delivered my fare to their destination. Calls ranged from a few minutes to a few weeks. I even trained others to experience the joys of military taxi driving.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah got back home last week and been busy doing shit and getting stuff taken care of. I have been on and off here and mainly just kind of lurking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I figured I better join before I got drafted.
Does your DD-214 look like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Roman_military_diploma_Carnuntum_00.jpg/220px-Roman_military_diploma_Carnuntum_00.jpg

Where in the hell did you find The-Bald-Monk first 214?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yes.  My father is retired Navy, my brother is Active Navy.  I have been to his ship and spoken with people he knows about what they do, and what they're trained to do vs really do and ect and figured I would send the question out into the world to get a more broad response.

But, I'm not real familiar with anything outside of Navy (but, both Grandfathers were Army)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, have you already talked to a Navy recruiter?

Took ASVAB today and then spent the better part of the afternoon there with documents and paperwork, medical waiver for a broken clavicle and other fun paperwork.

This was a serious question?

Avionics Technician (I-Level)

Intruders, Prowlers, Hawkeyes, Tomcats

Yes.  My father is retired Navy, my brother is Active Navy.  I have been to his ship and spoken with people he knows about what they do, and what they're trained to do vs really do and ect and figured I would send the question out into the world to get a more broad response.

But, I'm not real familiar with anything outside of Navy (but, both Grandfathers were Army)

Navy?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah got back home last week and been busy doing shit and getting stuff taken care of. I have been on and off here and mainly just kind of lurking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Military taxi driver.  I was told where to go to pick up my fare, then delivered my fare to their destination. Calls ranged from a few minutes to a few weeks. I even trained others to experience the joys of military taxi driving.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Glad you got back safely. Oh yeah...

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
More on topic this time. US Navy, Surface Warfare Officer (ship driver), fixed shit, broke shit, shot missiles, guns, torpedoes. Did a shit load of paperwork, drank alot of coffee, saw a lot of the world, set me up for a good paying post retirement gov civilian job in DoD. Had fun, had fucked up times, got my ass handed to me a few times and was still respected by subordinates, peers and superiors. Would probably do it all over again.
View Quote

Very similar career path for me, but shot a LOT of missiles (operational tester), and went the contractor route after getting out.

Since the OP asked a serious question, listen up because this is no shit:  Every rate has its advantages and disadvantages, and there are far too many to discuss them all in a web posting.  

In some you will spend most of your career at sea, some you'll never see a ship. IMHO, ship rates like GM, FC, ET, and ST I would highly recommend.  They will set you up well for post-Navy careers (maybe not so much GM, but I my GMs were my favorite guys). If you're absolutely sure you want to stay in for a long time, BM is not to be scoffed at either.  In any of them, as a junior enlisted you will get every shit detail, regardless of your rate, including cleaning stations and mess cooking.  As you move up, those go away and you work pretty much only in your field, and have more responsibilities during in port watch sections.  

In some rates you will advance faster than in others.  For instance, if you choose Postal Clerk, you won't have a chance for advancement until a PCCM dies or retires, then they'll promote one guy.  ETs and FCs seem to advance pretty fast, probably because demand for electronics skills in the civ world is strong.  Get the picture there?

The snipe rates are generally a lot of hard work in hot, loud environments.  They also can set you up nicely for civilian employment though.  The engineering rates are a "unique" bunch.  

With either the Combat Systems or Engineering rates, count on not seeing daylight for weeks on end.  If you like a dose of fresh air and sunshine daily (and rain, and snow, and ice) then BM is the rate for you.

I'll leave it to an aviator to tell you about the aviation rates in detail, but they have thier share of hard and dirty work rates - ABH, ABF in particular.  I'd recommend AW (basically flying STs - they ride around in P-8s and read sonograms), "deploy" (on per diem) to hardship stations like Bermuda, etc.  There are some lesser-known aviation rates like PR (Avn Survival Equipment) that seemed to have a pretty cush job.

Then of course you have what are basically office jobs whether afloat or ashore - YN, PN, SK, DK.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
E4

my son

or was it Let4
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no fucking idea.  Imagine this:

It's your second week on island, your sponsor has already introduced you to all of their friends (your peers), and they want to take you out Gate 2 for a good Saturday evening of drinking.  On your way out, they say, "Oh, you've got to experience it at least once."  So you go.  While in there, you see your sponsor whisper to Grandma Banana before the show, as he looks and points at you with a smile.

Then you get dragged on stage.....and she tries to pull out your dick in front of 20 of your newest friends and co workers.  After declining her offer, she moves onto giving you the consolation prize of fresh Banana droppings on your shirt as she squats over you.  Shirt now stained, and friends finally catching their breath, you now make on with the rest of your night out on Gate 2 street with Banana Jizz stains on your clothes so that you'll never forget.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHAHA!!!

Glad you got back safely. Oh yeah...

http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1360026112952897315.jpg

Thanks. Yeah you know my user name fits me as I just seem to lurk and then do a drive by in a thread and post some random shit and disappear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The snipes are hoarding all of it.

While you're down there, get some red oil for the port running light.  Then go see the First LT and get the keys to the oar locks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Seabee http://www.seabee.navy.mil/
Find a job that gives you a skill when you get out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's your second week on island, your sponsor has already introduced you to all of their friends (your peers), and they want to take you out Gate 2 for a good Saturday evening of drinking.  On your way out, they say, "Oh, you've got to experience it at least once."  So you go.  While in there, you see your sponsor whisper to Grandma Banana before the show, as he looks and points at you with a smile.

Then you get dragged on stage.....and she tries to pull out your dick in front of 20 of your newest friends and co workers.  After declining her offer, she moves onto giving you the consolation prize of fresh Banana droppings on your shirt as she squats over you.  Shirt now stained, and friends finally catching their breath, you now make on with the rest of your night out on Gate 2 street with Banana Jizz stains on your clothes so that you'll never forget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience was with a bunch of friends and our wives... We were the sober ones and it was the wives' idea.
Grandma banana was pissed nobody would get up on stage (not even the drunk Marines surprisingly) so she ended the show after dropping bananas and dispensing change,
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

While you're down there, get some red oil for the port running light.  Then go see the First LT and get the keys to the oar locks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BMCS Secured the Keys next to the BosnPunch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tattoosj, unfit for military service. OP don't listen to this man, he's not fit to lead in our Army anymore. SMA said so! Dirty inkies...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s14.photobucket.com/user/punkaf/media/CE551FD9-424C-432E-A1B8-A5828C835884.png.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/punkaf/CE551FD9-424C-432E-A1B8-A5828C835884.png.jpeg</a>

Haha luckily I'm the gunner the BC is the dirty inkie!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very similar career path for me, but shot a LOT of missiles (operational tester), and went the contractor route after getting out.

Since the OP asked a serious question, listen up because this is no shit:  Every rate has its advantages and disadvantages, and there are far too many to discuss them all in a web posting.  

In some you will spend most of your career at sea, some you'll never see a ship. IMHO, ship rates like GM, FC, ET, and ST I would highly recommend.  They will set you up well for post-Navy careers (maybe not so much GM, but I my GMs were my favorite guys). If you're absolutely sure you want to stay in for a long time, BM is not to be scoffed at either.  In any of them, as a junior enlisted you will get every shit detail, regardless of your rate, including cleaning stations and mess cooking.  As you move up, those go away and you work pretty much only in your field, and have more responsibilities during in port watch sections.  

In some rates you will advance faster than in others.  For instance, if you choose Postal Clerk, you won't have a chance for advancement until a PCCM dies or retires, then they'll promote one guy.  ETs and FCs seem to advance pretty fast, probably because demand for electronics skills in the civ world is strong.  Get the picture there?

The snipe rates are generally a lot of hard work in hot, loud environments.  They also can set you up nicely for civilian employment though.  The engineering rates are a "unique" bunch.  

With either the Combat Systems or Engineering rates, count on not seeing daylight for weeks on end.  If you like a dose of fresh air and sunshine daily (and rain, and snow, and ice) then BM is the rate for you.

I'll leave it to an aviator to tell you about the aviation rates in detail, but they have thier share of hard and dirty work rates - ABH, ABF in particular.  I'd recommend AW (basically flying STs - they ride around in P-8s and read sonograms), "deploy" (on per diem) to hardship stations like Bermuda, etc.  There are some lesser-known aviation rates like PR (Avn Survival Equipment) that seemed to have a pretty cush job.

Then of course you have what are basically office jobs whether afloat or ashore - YN, PN, SK, DK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a bunch, that's the kind of info/experience I was looking for.

I still have MEPS to do before they said they would get into more specific jobs but, they said I scored very well.  GM was something I was definitely interested in from the get go, I have been chatting with a GM on my brothers ship as well.  AW, FC, ET, and SC all definitely sound interesting as well.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you fixed on boat life?
Why float when you can fly, if you enjoy hard work and the outdoors Seabee is hard to beat, any rate will do but If you like big toys look at EO.
Travel, fun and sweat is what you will get.
If you don't like busting your butt daily and having a skill that directly transfers to civilian life then look elsewhere.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

So what happened?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#46]
So I only made it through half the first page before deciding to post.

I am a Seabee. Bastard redheaded step children of the Navy, but thats what we are.
I am a CM, Construction Mechanic. We work on all manner of mechanical stuff. From single cylinder gas engines on a lawn mower to D8 and D9 Bulldozers. Hydraulics and electric, generators and cranes. Thats the job. It is very broad. That is also the plus. You will learn all manner of how to be a mech. If you apply yourself. We also shoot M2s and 240Bs and M16s and MK19s.

The downside is that you will be forced to learn the 3M system and how it has basically neutered most of the reason seabees were awesome back in the day.

The rest of the Seabees are almost in the same boat. Same broad spectrum job but limited by modern maintenance and operating procedures. Additionally, with the wars slowing down, the Seabees are downsizing so advancement isnt very quick the last few years.

Seabee Rates:
SW, Steel worker (Welder)
EO, Equipment operator (Breaker of equipment the CMs fix)
BU, Builder (Builds things, mostly out of wood but not exclusively)
CE, Construction Electrician (Electrician)
UT, Utilitiesman (Plumber)
EA, Engineering Aid (Does a lot of office work but is designed around surveying and planning building projects)
CM, (See above)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So I only made it through half the first page before deciding to post.

I am a Seabee. Bastard redheaded step children of the Navy, but thats what we are.
I am a CM, Construction Mechanic. We work on all manner of mechanical stuff. From single cylinder gas engines on a lawn mower to D8 and D9 Bulldozers. Hydraulics and electric, generators and cranes. Thats the job. It is very broad. That is also the plus. You will learn all manner of how to be a mech. If you apply yourself. We also shoot M2s and 240Bs and M16s and MK19s.

The downside is that you will be forced to learn the 3M system and how it has basically neutered most of the reason seabees were awesome back in the day.

The rest of the Seabees are almost in the same boat. Same broad spectrum job but limited by modern maintenance and operating procedures. Additionally, with the wars slowing down, the Seabees are downsizing so advancement isnt very quick the last few years.

Seabee Rates:
SW, Steel worker (Welder)
EO, Equipment operator (Breaker of equipment the CMs fix)
BU, Builder (Builds things, mostly out of wood but not exclusively)
CE, Construction Electrician (Electrician)
UT, Utilitiesman (Plumber)
EA, Engineering Aid (Does a lot of office work but is designed around surveying and planning building projects)
CM, (See above)
View Quote

Thanks, fantastic info here!   A friend of mine is a Seabee and I've been meaning to ask him about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you fill out the Id10T form in triplicate?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know you, I spent 24 years in and a lot of people I know, don't know that...It's my business, not theirs, or yours.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#50]
The best job in the military is EOD!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top