BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Can they do the job?
Do they have a good work ethic?
No felony record?
I don't care what color house they live in or type of car they drive, because I don't have to live in it.
Their body is their property. Not mine.
JMO
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can they do the job?

No felony record?

I don't care what color house they live in or type of car they drive, because I don't have to live in it.

JMO
View Quote
Agree with this.

It's not as taboo as it used to be, unless you're some old bastard who just generally has a problem with everything and everyone in life anyway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let's say you run a large auto body shop, a modern, clean place that gets lots of referrals from insurance companies in a small city. One of your good mechanics says his sister needs work. You vaguely remember the family from church but have not seen the sister in awhile. You agree to interview her for a receptionist/ clerical position where she'll answer the phone, do simple insurance paperwork, billing and greet customers when they enter.

She shows up appropriately dressed, is pleasant and has on her resume that she worked for some lawyer in town as a receptionist until he got caught smuggling 11 round magazines from PA and he fled to the Artic.

However you notice she has a tongue piercing.... And has two studs in her tongue. Is this a twenty something fashion statesmen a tht as an angry old white guy you don't get? Does it mean she likes sucking cock?

What about an ankle tattoo of like a heart and some sort of rose bushy things?

What about pierced cheeks?

Pierced nose with a hoop?

Gauges?
View Quote

I run a auto shop, my sister in law is my receptionist. She's pretty inked up but nothing that shows with a long sleeve shirt. She even agrees that neck/ face tatts and blown out ear lobes is a step too far.

No one has been put off by it, some have positive comments. I'm not a inky, don't care for it myself but she needed a job and has been a pretty good employee so far.

Fwiw I work on high end euro cars.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Piercings?  Tatoos?  Why would I want to hire ex-convicts at my business?

j/k

For an autobody shop?  Sure.  I would have a high threshold for piercings/tats.  As long as it wasn't "over-the-top" with large guage piercings, offensive tattoos, face tatoos, or large/multiple neck tattoos, I would be fine.  Dress code is more lenient at blue collar-type places.

For white collar offices where public appearance is important (sales, law offices, medical, CPA firm, etc.), especially if the clientele would be groups that frown upon tats/piercings, I would have a lower threshold.  No large guage piercings or visible tats on the hands and/or face. Discreet to completely covered is key here.

It's more about public perception to me.  I live in a "conservative" area, so I would have to act accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Agree with this.  

It's not as taboo as it used to be, unless you're some old bastard who just generally has a problem with everything and everyone in life anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can they do the job?
No felony record?
JMO
Agree with this.  

If you're in business, the goal is to get the "old bastard's" money. His opinion counts, in that case.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ankle tattoo would be ok.

The "hey look at me I'm a fucking weirdo" piercings, no.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Of course not.  Anything that detracts from the customer's first impression costs me money.  She's there to MAKE money, not cost it.  Sorry honey, even with big breasts you need to apply elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

. . . and greet customers when they enter.

Of course not.  Anything that detracts from the customer's first impression costs me money.  She's there to MAKE money, not cost it.  Sorry honey, even with big breasts you need to apply elsewhere.
Pretty much this.

If it was a position where there was no customer interaction I personally wouldn't care. I don't even personally care as a customer if the desk person looks like a sideshow freak as long as they do their job correctly, but as an employer that standard would be different.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Ankle tat...not a deal breaker.

Tongue piercing...odd for sure but wouldn't necessarily put it against her.

Hoop through the nose? Cheek piercings? Not in a professional "face of the company, first thing your customers see" setting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Facial and neck tattoos, No. Certain facial piercings are incredibly distasteful IMO (eyebrow, lip, gauged anything, ears that are more metal than flesh), but others that are done tastefully I am okay with (single nose ring, ears, tongue). Cheeks are kinda on the edge, but I've seen some that were attractive and those that made you shake your head, depends on the person and other adornments.
Tattoos outside of the face, neck and hands are fine with me, as long as they wouldn't be deemed offensive, and are tasteful.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Can she walk through a metal detector without setting it off?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a simple hot or not. Until then all the details are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I met a female lawyer with a pretty visible ankle tattoo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I met a female lawyer with a pretty visible ankle tattoo.  

The ankle tattoo ladies were the pioneers that blazed the trail for the cheek piercings we enjoy today.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
As long as she's hot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#16]
You poll suck, Penguin.  Why you no allow multiple answer?

That said:  For a body shop?  Who cares?  No one expects any one in a body shop to look like they just dropped in from church.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can they do the job?
No felony record?
JMO
View Quote
Agree with this.  

View Quote

If you're in business, the goal is to get the "old bastard's" money. His opinion counts, in that case.  
View Quote

Not in my shop.  I can't stand that old bastard, and I'd just as soon not have him in my place.  He can poke his money up his tight ass and waddle on down the road.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
It's an auto body shop, I wanna know if they can fix my car.  I don't expect ANYONE in there to be presentable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
If it was my company, it would be encouraged.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let's say you run a large auto body shop, a modern, clean place that gets lots of referrals from insurance companies in a small city. One of your good mechanics says his sister needs work. You vaguely remember the family from church but have not seen the sister in awhile. You agree to interview her for a receptionist/ clerical position where she'll answer the phone, do simple insurance paperwork, billing and greet customers when they enter.

She shows up appropriately dressed, is pleasant and has on her resume that she worked for some lawyer in town as a receptionist until he got caught smuggling 11 round magazines from PA and he fled to the Artic.

However you notice she has a tongue piercing.... And has two studs in her tongue. Is this a twenty something fashion statesmen a tht as an angry old white guy you don't get? Does it mean she likes sucking cock?

Gauges?
View Quote

To be honest none of that bothers me.    What matters to me is how well they work and how respectful they act.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]
As a front end receptionist she becomes the first face of the company the customer sees. It's up to you how you want your customers to perceive the business.

If it was me I would say no piercings for women except the ears (no gauges) and no visible tattoos but that's just my style.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
i used to work with  a guy..

shaved head.
neck tattoos
guages
piercings in his nose, bridge and nostril
clear guage thing in lower lip showing his teeth thru his lip.

was going to school to be a elementary school teacher.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't even think twice about about what was listed in the post in an auto shop and I won't have any of that garbage on my body.

EDIT: I call it garbage because it just seems like a waste of money to me. I need to save my money to spend on things I like that other people would probably call garbage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a body shop

I would stop it at gauged ears and pierced cheeks

small piercing , sleeves etc meh , about any car/motorcycle/equipment shop is gonna have multiple people with those
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
From a purely general purpose business perspective, any of those tend to drive away more customers than they draw in.  Exceptions for certain industries of course.  So, no, even though the proposed scenario is less sensitive than many.

I may be overly biased though.  I'm against doing any permanent (or hard to undo) modifications to the body.  To me it's a dangerous waste of time & money that could be better spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol no

Never invite broken people into your life.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Only if she's hot and the tats are on the inside of her thighs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly this
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

. . . and greet customers when they enter.

Same reason I wouldn't hire a fat/overweight person for that position.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To be honest none of that bothers me.    What matters to me is how well they work and how respectful they act.
View Quote

Doesn't bother me either as a customer.  As an employer though, I'd have to appeal to my customers.  If I had the slightest suspicion that her choice in body art might make my business less appealing I wouldn't hire her.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
ankle tat okay.
small stone in nose acceptable.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pureskins only, with no extra hardware.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't even befriend someone with face piercings, however I have friends with tattoos that although I wouldn't do  they are some of the best people in my life.

One of them (roommate at LeJeune)  got USMC tattooed on his shoulder, with color. I asked him to send me a picture of it 23 years later and his wife and I had a laugh.

Funny thing is, is that he is from West Virginia and still likes it. Guys from West Virginia have no limits, they just keep going.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Put me in the "None of it" crowd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I was installing HVAC equipment in a modern church when the pierced youth group leader was telling the kids that his nickname was "pierced banana".

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Sure, but my business would support that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Fine with all of it, except neck tats
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Are these places inky hang outs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was about to say no, unless it was an auto shop.  Especially a custom auto body shop.  That would be part of the décor.

Are these places inky hang outs?
For the most part yes

automotive/motorcycle especially custom stuff being some sort of tattooed up rock a billy or suicide girls look a like is pretty much expected

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i used to work with  a guy..

shaved head.
neck tattoos
guages
piercings in his nose, bridge and nostril
clear guage thing in lower lip showing his teeth thru his lip.

was going to school to be a elementary school teacher.
View Quote

I bet he could scare the little rug rats into behaving...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Any tattoos that can be covered are fine.

Septum piercings are acceptable if she gets one she can flip up.

Tongue piercing is just fine. Ideally would wear a clear retainer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Tounge stud yes ankle tats yes
if she'd remove the rest and let it close up, yes...
but you know that won't happen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Really depends on the person.

This would be ok.
http://piercingidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cute-nose-piercings-ideas.png

This not so much.

http://www.piercingtime.com/images/163/nose-nasallang-septum-and-bridge-piercing.jpg

I'd be fine with tongue piercing and ankle tat as well.
View Quote

Nice glassed over eyes on chick #2. There might be an opportunity for her as a hand job ho at the truck stop a couple of exits North.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Small ankle tat
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#43]
there would be many factors besides body art

intelligence

personality

overall appearance  (trashy, hot librarian, etc)

demeanor

experience

when you add all factors a prime employee can have a bit more art as long as it does not impact performance or office cohesion and moral

an ankle tat would be ok on about any
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gauges?
View Quote

i would not hire her, but because of the piercings would assume she was a slut and ask if she wants to have sexal relatiuns
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Not if it's visible.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Gauges?
View Quote

If they deal with the public at all, that would disqualify them.   A professional appearance is a requirement to deal with the public.   You cannot maintain a professional appearance with a bone through your nose, no matter how well you are dressed.  That is not the image I wish to convey to my customers.

For someone who will be cleaning the place after hours?  No problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really depends on the person.

This would be ok.
http://piercingidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cute-nose-piercings-ideas.png

This not so much.

http://www.piercingtime.com/images/163/nose-nasallang-septum-and-bridge-piercing.jpg

I'd be fine with tongue piercing and ankle tat as well.
View Quote

Pretty much this. Sometimes it is tastefully done. Sometimes it isn't.

The manner in which he or she conducts herself is more important than her body modifications.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Key account managers in my company have nose rings and wrist tats.   The fortune 500 companies and federal agencies we sell to don't seem to have a problem with them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Someone with tattoos and face piercings?

Sounds like my pastor's wife.

Sounds like my wife.

Sounds like half the population under the age of 30 40 50.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Tongue pierced- OK
Tasteful tattoo's not on the face- OK
Ears with 3 or 4 piercings- OK
Any face piercings or tattoo's- See Ya.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top