BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's your life live how you want to live it.

Me, I married a woman with two.
Natural father is a prick, no contact with them, good for me.

I have two great kids that I love as my very own.

I would trade this for single again.
View Quote

Good job Dad. I've raised several that weren't my 'fruit', but they certainly deserved a dad. One has graduated college now, married, and gave me a grandson. Got two more in college. First granddaughter coming soon.

There's no money that can buy the love and joy you get from your kids. But if you are selfish and immature, don't bother. It's not for you.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In view of your belief that you're entitled to a woman who can devote her entire life to you, I think you did both of these women and their children a favor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child. I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid and because of the kid we would have constant problems because she would never be able to put the same effort into our relationship. I as a 24 year old male do not want to deal with those problems or the task of raising a child that is not mine. Knowing how I felt I was not willing to even attempt a relationship because it would only end up hurting her and confusing the child. Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.
In view of your belief that you're entitled to a woman who can devote her entire life to you, I think you did both of these women and their children a favor.

Sorry if it came off like that but in no way to I think I am "entitled" to anything. I have no idea how you got that out of there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child. I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid and because of the kid we would have constant problems because she would never be able to put the same effort into our relationship. I as a 24 year old male do not want to deal with those problems or the task of raising a child that is not mine. Knowing how I felt I was not willing to even attempt a relationship because it would only end up hurting her and confusing the child. Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.

I'm normally not put off by your posts, but you're putting words in his mouth big time, or just grossly hyperbolic about his intentions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think so.  At least you are being honest, both with the women and yourself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm normally not put off by your posts, but you're putting words in his mouth big time, or just grossly hyperbolic about his intentions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be the new normal...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it's not selfish of you.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good job Dad. I've raised several that weren't my 'fruit', but they certainly deserved a dad. One has graduated college now, married, and gave me a grandson. Got two more in college. First granddaughter coming soon.

There's no money that can buy the love and joy you get from your kids. But if you are selfish and immature, don't bother. It's not for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At what age did both of you do this? Was it 24?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We've all been there. Historically, I would smash twice 5 times before ejecting, but I'm an asshole.
View Quote

This FIFY
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy clearly says he's not interested in a relationship where the woman's interest is divided between him and a child.   Not my fault if you don't like that it sounds like what it is   <shrug>
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry if it came off like that but in no way to I think I am "entitled" to anything. I have no idea how you got that out of there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Jane, did we read the same post? I didn't see where he expected total devotion to his wants/desires... I just saw a post from a man that is 24 and wants to avoid drama... and single moms generally equal drama.. whether it be the kids themselves, or baby daddy's stupid shit, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane, did we read the same post? I didn't see where he expected total devotion to his wants/desires... I just saw a post from a man that is 24 and wants to avoid drama... and single moms generally equal drama.. whether it be the kids themselves, or baby daddy's stupid shit, etc.

Beats me.  I read the OP's, I don't know what you read.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

George, I think relationships are best when they're balanced, so I think ours is nigh on perfect: I don't like you one bit better than you like me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]
<------ single dad w/custody

Would you want them to judge you the same way?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

lol so even after he admits that he was not saying that you continue trolling.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

Women, am I right?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

Calling 'em like I see 'em.  Don't like it? Tough shit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

Don't like it? On the contrary, I think it's hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

Sure you do.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

24 years old and dating a woman with a kid? Yeah no, you made the right call.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#20]
TL;DR YES.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck buddy's would work
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
At 24 I think you are being reasonable. I'd much rather see one take that course of action than deal with a kid when one isn't ready to go there. Developing a relationship with a single mother by default means as things go along you are also doing so with her child, any break up will affect the child as well to some extent depending on circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
You are entitled to any standards you want, and as long as you don't mislead the women, then you haven't done anything wrong. No one "owes" anyone else a date or a relationship. As long as you're gracious and not nasty and rude, then you've done nothing wrong.

(Now I go to peruse the rest of the thread. Oh boy!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow this thread is still going, I feel special!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes and no.  

Yes, you are selfish ... but that doesn't make you an asshole.
View Quote
Its not selfish to not want to adopt a kid you are nt ready for.  IMO its selfish to lead on a woman so you can get some ass with no intention of ever making it serious because of her kid.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where are the pics OP? We have rules for a reason. Am I the only one that cares about the rules here?
View Quote

It was my understanding that the rules applied to girlfriends and wives only. I sadly no longer have pictures of these ladies because they were simply girls from Tinder.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#28]
When you are in your early 20's, enjoy your life and don't get dragged down by other people's baggage.  If you are in your 30's or older and really want to settle down and think you are mature enough to handle the kids that are not yours, then go for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You are entitled to any standards you want, and as long as you don't mislead the women, then you haven't done anything wrong. No one "owes" anyone else a date or a relationship. As long as you're gracious and not nasty and rude, then you've done nothing wrong.

(Now I go to peruse the rest of the thread. Oh boy!)
View Quote

This is my general opinion.

If you don't want to date a mother, then don't. I wouldn't necessarily go into details about how it's the kid that's sending you running. Just chock it up to incompatibilities or something. You're young, and unless you are ready and willing to step into the role of father, then you shouldn't be dating mothers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Selfish, absolutely. You'll have to look in a mirror to confirm the resemblance to your asshole.

My wife had a girl from her first marriage. Her real father was an asshole and wouldn't have anything to do with her because it interfered with his playboy life. I raised her as my own + 3 of our own. We never made a distinction between them and it made all the difference. An absolutely wonderful lady and we have a great relationship.
View Quote

Just because yours is a success story, that doesn't mean he is immature or selfish in any way.  Let's just go with statistics and they are mostly never good.  How can you judge a guy who just want to live life on his terms??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
"Dear Ann Landers, am I selfish to not date Single Moms?  Sign me, Lonely Gun Guy w/ Lazer Beam Eyes."

"Dear Lonely Lazer Eye Guy, 'yes' you are selfish. Unless she has a Dillon progressive.  
If she does, you can enslave apprentice her minor child to crank out your blasting ammo.  You'll thank me later.
Signed, 85y.o. Liberal Columnist Sex Advisor."
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, mid 30's.

Before I met her I had a girlfriend.
We met when when I was 26. She had a daughter.
We were together until I was 31.

The father. also a jerk, lived in the northeast. He had contact with the daughter , phone calls, letters, presents and in the summer he would send a plane ticket and she'd go visit him.
I loved this little girl also, great kid, super smart ( just like the two I have now ).

The mother, had diabetes and just about everything that could go wrong did.
I ended up losing her due to complications with this fucked up disease.
When I lost her, I also lost her daughter, natural father had rights and exercised them.

So age is relative.
It's either you want a family or not.

You take the woman with kids then you take them and the responsibility that goes with it.

If your this confused over then walk away because if you go into, and then leave, it's just not the girl your leaving, your leaving the kids to.

They will probably grow more attached to you faster then you will be to them and take 1000 times harder when you bow out.

So, don't do that to them.
Give that family a chance to to find someone who wants what they have to offer.
Chances are he going to a lucky man.

Now this is no way saying anything bad against you. Your not ready, you know this, so don't do it.

Maybe one day you will be, maybe not.
Everyone has to live their own life the they feel is best for them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
How the OP is reacting is natural and there have been studies  that support this. It's more natural for men to reject single moms as we desire children that resemble ourselves, not some other person.

However, single women are more open to dating a single father as it gives them confidence that the dad is capable of fertilizing her eggs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Some folks never want kids.  If you don't want kids, then that's fine.  It isn't immature.  It's your choice.

And you're 24?  Christ man, worry about yourself for a while before you even consider kids, especially ones that are not your own.

Everyone who is calling you immature is being ridiculous.  They most likely didn't worry about someone else's children at your age.

One last thing, kids cost money.

It will cost an estimated $241,080 for a middle-income couple to raise a child born last year for 18 years, according to a U.S. Department
of Agriculture report.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you're 24 and you don't feel up to being a dad yet

Every situation is different , but in my opinion, getting preggers early today is different than what it was decades ago.

Q/C on young single moms today* is ALLLL over the place. Most of them just seem nuts and impulsive. Things about their lifestyle and their decisions can be clues to this.
Often times, the ones I've seen anyway-  are young single moms because all they did was date douchebags and get sloppy about birth control and protection while having sex with people they barely know or don't make suitable fathers to begin with.

Yes, you do get special snowflake cases of long time relationships who leave after an accident "one time". Today's age, those are few and far between.

You didn't get someone knocked up at an early age. You don't have to inherit the extra things that come along with it if you don't want to, because you think twice about things.
If you want to be a dad on your own time, and do it your way, then do it that way.

Me? I don't believe I'm ready to be a father yet, not financially ready, etc.
and I'm looking for a lady who felt the same way about being a mother, and made good decisions and choices to avoid having a child before she was ready to do so.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Slimmies be on their best behavior trying to land a sucker to support their mistake.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of course you're selfish, and very likely an asshole. That's what 24 year olds are.
View Quote

ETA:  I felt I should add that, like many others here, I think your decision is correct and justifiable.  You are not inherently selfish just because you decide that you do not want to get involved with something you...don't want to be involved with.  

You definitely would be selfish and an extreme a-hole if you did the "hit it and quit it' method after making such a decision, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child. I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid
View Quote

If you don't want to date them, for whatever reason, why do you feel that you owe them an explanation? Simply don't date them. Dating is not charity work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Its not selfish to not want to adopt a kid you are nt ready for.  IMO its selfish to lead on a woman so you can get some ass with no intention of ever making it serious because of her kid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes and no.  

Yes, you are selfish ... but that doesn't make you an asshole.

I'm late to the party and didn't read the whole thread, but this sounds about right.

Merely dating the women doesn't have to end in marriage. But if the OP thinks that's where the women want to go he's correct to pass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope when i was single i wouldnt date a woman with kids.

too much drama:  baby daddy will always be in the kids life and therefore her life.  You're not my dad!  And so on
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope...

Hell, Im 47 and there is a much younger attractive woman (late 20's) who has her shit together (good job, house, etc) I have a chance of dating but won't because she has a six year old son.  The kids great and well behaved, but honestly at this stage of the game for me I am simply not interested in helping bring up a child..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Asshole" for being honest and up front about things?  Stringing them along to get in their pants and then ditching them--that would be the a-hole move.
View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child.
I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid and because of the kid we would have constant problems
because she would never be able to put the same effort into our relationship. I as a 24 year old male do not want to deal with
those problems or the task of raising a child that is not mine. Knowing how I felt I was not willing to even attempt a relationship
because it would only end up hurting her and confusing the child.

Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up?
I don't think I should, I am awesome.
View Quote

OP - No you are not being either Selfish nor being an Asshole.
You're just being practical.

Dating a Woman with kids causes problems with the kid
who in turn will cause problems in your relationship with the Woman.

The mother will always put her kid and her relationship with her kid first
and you will always be at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of priorities.

You are not to blame. It is the woman who is to blame for having
a child out of wedlock or having a kid then bailing out on a marriage.

Women with kids should only date Men with kids.

EJECT
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

no. you are fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#46]
at 24 you have that option.  if you are still single at 44, then the math changes...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Let's put the social justice/feminist stigma/progressive bullshit aside for a minute and focus on the facts.

Raising kids that aren't your own doesn't make ANY sense. It doesn't benefit you from an evolution/biological standpoint, and certainly doesn't continue your "legacy" in that when you die, the kids who aren't yours can't continue a bloodline they don't have. Not to say raising kids who aren't yours so they have someone who is an actual father isn't a noble thing, it is, truly, but from a purely biological standpoint it makes no sense.

Furthermore, you are NOT selfish OP, no matter what anyone says. You might be selfish in other ways (we ALL are to some extent) but you are not selfish for this. Kids are baggage. Kids are responsibility, effort, time, and money. Some people don't want a relationship that involves becoming "daddy" or taking on responsibility of raising another human being, ultimately determining how that person thinks and acts. In the same way that women often seem to want a relationship that involves little responsibility, I think men have a right to as well.

Do a social experiment for me, OP. Or maybe not you. Maybe anyone. Go out and meet a woman. Get to know her a bit. If you decide she really likes you, drop the bombshell on her that you suffer from severe depression, have frequent intrusive thoughts, and have been battling with drug abuse your entire life. Oh yeah, and make it clear to her that this is what she'd be taking on if she got serious or intimate with you.

See if she's still interested in you after that. Not to compare children to severe drug abuse or depression, but when you think about it, both contain the same elements of baggage. Both need constant supervision and awareness, both need to be treated sensitively, both require taking time to accept, ect.

CERTAIN  members of this website would like to deny it, but the truth is, it's a two-way street. If women aren't selfish for expecting a relationship with as little responsibility as possible, then neither are men. Believe it or not, women are often single-mothers for a reason. Sure, plenty of times you might find a woman who say, had her husband get killed in the line of duty or perhaps died saving a litter of puppies from a god damn burning building, but the truth is, there are often only two main reasons for single mothers, even though they are, in a way, the same one reason. Either she is attracted to screwballs/ shitheads and inevitably leave you for one, or every man she has ever ended up with has been a screwball/shithead. You'd be HARD PRESSED to find a single-mother who doesn't have plenty of emotional or mental baggage as well as literal baggage (children.)

I've got a better idea for you, OP. Find a woman who isn't carrying baggage and looking to offload it, who has her shit together, and have kids who are your own.

Of course some people might find that idea to be insulting. To snobby, pseudo-intellectual modernist feminazi liberals, the family is the most evil unit of society and it's destruction is the ultimate and direct way to bring about the world they drool over.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell no. In addition to the issues of dealing with a kid that isn't yours, it shows that the girl has some judgement issues if she has both a kid and a divorce by her early/mid 20's. I am assuming here that you date close to your own age and don't go after married women.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#49]
No. I don't think you're being selfish or an asshole by not dating single moms.

I'm recently divorced (age 29), dating again and I won't consider single moms.  I know there's probably a lot of nice single moms out there, but of all the girls to pick from, why should I put myself through that drama?

I didn't have any kids with my ex wife, I'm not ready to have kids with any woman right now, and the last thing that I want to be is a step dad.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#50]
It depends on how much value you have. Are you reasonable looking, have a decent job, and have a triple-digit IQ? If yes, then you can demand and get a woman without a pre-existing child to cramp your style.

Are you overweight, poor employment prospects, and are generally "beta"? If yes, then you might have to accept a preexisting child.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top