Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 6:21:29 PM EDT
I ask because I am getting a Demello Evil Eye bumper.

I currently have NEW Nitto Terra 265/70/17 tires, so replacing them is a NO.

I am considering a Toytec 3" lift or at the bear minimum, Bilstein 5100's all around to help support the weight.  

Is a lift a bad idea?  I do occasional off road.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The only reason to put a lift on a vehicle is for clearnce of bigger tires, if ur tires clear your fenders now and don't plan on getting bigger tire then u don't need a lift, unless your one of those cool guys with the rubber swinging balls hanging off ur truck
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 3" ICON suspension in mine.  it was a good investment.

I have Demello sliders - Jason builds good stuff.

if you lift, change your UCAs to keep the geometry correct.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same bumper, it's pretty damm awesome.

Bring a friend or two to help install it... Fucking thing weighs a ton!  

As for the lift... For occasional off-road use, I'd probably skip it.  The FJ has decent ground clearance, and mine has been pretty damn capable with the stock suspension.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Icon suspension is the only answer. Go with 700lb 14in King Springs for full 3in with plate bumper and winch. You'll thank me later. Especially when you get a group 31M diehard battery to run the lights you'll eventually get. Nobody likes a saggy front end.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
lift on IFS trucks are stupid expensive.I wouldnt do  it unless I did a lot of offroad
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread needs more Cruiser pics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the same bumper, it's pretty damm awesome.

Bring a friend or two to help install it... Fucking thing weighs a ton!  

As for the lift... For occasional off-road use, I'd probably skip it.  The FJ has decent ground clearance, and mine has been pretty damn capable with the stock suspension.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/dcloudy777/photo15.jpg
View Quote
sweet.  Do you have any more pics? Side view?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I ask because I am getting a Demello Evil Eye bumper.
I currently have NEW Nitto Terra 265/70/17 tires, so replacing them is a NO.
View Quote

I am considering a Toytec 3" lift or at the bear minimum, Bilstein 5100's all around to help support the weight.  

Shocks don't support weight.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I'm trying to choose between the fj and the 4runner. Either one will get an icon setup.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ask because I am getting a Demello Evil Eye bumper.I currently have NEW Nitto Terra 265/70/17 tires, so replacing them is a NO.

The bilstiens will give you .85-2.5" of lift depending on what you set them at which will help to level it with extra weight.

Eta: you are correct though. All the bilstiens do is compress the springs. Don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to argue that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Top heavy, blind spot haven, plastic poopoo mobiles!!!!

My mom had a purple one, I loved it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Top heavy, blind spot haven, plastic poopoo mobiles!!!!
View Quote

Yeah, but you can change tires while rolling.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought about aftermarket bumpers, a little lift, and bigger tires but it seems that's the trifecta of ways to kill gas mileage.  Almost stock (Raceline wheels) I'm getting 20 to 21 mpg. I'm no rock crawler though, just FS roads.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Do some research but I highly recommend a lift.   You will need new springs to support that weight properly.  Likely something like OME 885 or 886 depending on total bumper weight.  You will also need new shocks.  The 5100s are a great shock.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
i would like to buy your old springs for my 4runner
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
OME springs with Bilstein 5100's

Look at the OME 885 or 886
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i would like to buy your old springs for my 4runner

View Quote

Damn you!!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
let's get something straight.

1)  springs support the weight
2)  shock absorbers (bilsteins or whatever) dampen their movement.  They do not support weight.  They just keep the springs from being...springy.  They reduce the rate of sudden movement of the springs, that's it.

if you add enough weight, you should consider moving up in SPRING stiffness.  you might need longer shock absorbers to account for a lift, but if you don't, if yours aren't worn out, you don't need new ones unless you lift it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This.

I'm trying to choose between the fj and the 4runner. Either one will get an icon setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Get the 4runner. You'll thank me later.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That's what I'm leaning toward. We drove an fj Saturday and my wife(5'2") fit kinda snugly in the rear. I don't know how my friends would ride back there at all. They seem to do just as well offroad wise as the fj's do. Plus I could haul more gear around.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That's what I'm leaning toward. We drove an fj Saturday and my wife(5'2") fit kinda snugly in the rear. I don't know how my friends would ride back there at all. They seem to do just as well offroad wise as the fj's do. Plus I could haul more gear around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I own a 2007 4runner and I have rented an FJ. I didn't like the FJ at all. I hated that to let people out of the back, the front person had to open their door first. The FJ has terrible blind spots too. My 4runner just feels roomier.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

They are based on the same platform and are mechanically nearly identical. 4Runner has worse departure and break over angles, because of the longer wheelbase and spare under the floor, behind the axle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah , but I love the headroom in the fj. I'm usually traveling alone but would have the wife with me and possibly a kid in the future.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked my 2014 Magma on Saturday...Already ordered stuff for it

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They are based on the same platform and are mechanically nearly identical. 4Runner has worse departure and break over angles, because of the longer wheelbase and spare under the floor, behind the axle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'd be throwing a front bumper and a rear bumper with spare carrier on it after a lift and tires. Angles really don't bother me as much since it's mostly flat around here. Realistically, we'd probably never do any serious stuff with it, but I want it to be fairly capable in case we need it or we take it into the mountains on a vacation sometime.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd be throwing a front bumper and a rear bumper with spare carrier on it after a lift and tires. Angles really don't bother me as much since it's mostly flat around here. Realistically, we'd probably never do any serious stuff with it, but I want it to be fairly capable in case we need it or we take it into the mountains on a vacation sometime.
View Quote

It's quite capable stock unless you want to crawl over boulders.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they are. I figure I'll add bumpers anyways since the deer are thick around here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]
If you wait til Black Friday, Demello may have Icon coil overs and other Icon suspension stuff for 20% off. That's how I got my Icons last year. Hard to beat the ride that Icon's give. I added TC upper uniballs control arms which they gave me 20% off too. Watch FJ forums for vendor deals especially with black Friday next month. Good luck with your lift!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's my set up.... Icon extended travel coil overs. Love the on and off road ride.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#30]
It seems like most of the lifts out there sacrifice droop, basically just max out travel by increasing spring compression/rates.

At least one person made reference to getting new upper control arms to correct the geometry.

When I was looking to lift my Tacoma I was saddened to see that the 2-3 inch lifts would greatly reduce suspension droop.     I justprefer as much travel in both directions as possible.

Seemed the only answer for a lift for my truck was Camburg Engineering with new spindles. Was too expensive so I wound up saying to hell with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Same exact combo of icon and UCA here.   Great setup.  I probably need to get my icons rebuilt, going on 5 years old.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Just get a 200 and don't look back.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I would go with the bilstiens to compensate for the weight of the new bumper.   The icon is top notch but you have to pay for that.  
the less lift the better, the front cvs dont like the added angle and we cant disconnect the hubs on these bad boys.  Basically even in 2wd your front cvs are always spinning so keep the angle as close to stock as you can to help on the wear and tear.  I had a tacoma with a 3in lift and it was damaging cv boots very quickly.  I had adjustable so I lowered it to just enough to clear the 285s without rub

I ramble but basically you are getting alittle more lift to compensate for the sagging of the suspension holding up the bumper.  Demello offroad is cool talk to them, say"I want to level it back after the bumper weight" they will suggest a option they have found to suit the need.

If your doing any type of offroading get sliders.   I bought demello sliders a decade ago when he was not a full time shop yet.  it saves the truck so much wear and tear.  basically one time of protecting the body they have paid for themselves
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top